Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I suddenly remember reading a bunch of EU tie-in stuff with Episode 1, including point-of-view journals for a lot of the characters (the Darth Maul one comes to mind- it has an epilogue by Darth Sidious, naturally) and some fairly YA oriented books about Obi-Wan's backstory as Qui-Gon's padawan. Has some interesting adventures, like when Obi-Wan gets forced into a sword duel, and how strange a sword feels at first to someone used to a lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Its Rinaldo posted:

Just found out Dave Filoni is a Steelers fan so he's clearly scum and this show sucks like Clone Wars and Rebels suck too

this meant nothing to me and then I remembered Fetterman is probably a steelers fan what with him being the lt gov of PA and raw dogging the cowboys and he rules so they rule I guess

NTRabbit posted:

Gina being spun off into the sun doesn't count

cara dune died on the way back to her home planet

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 29, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly remember reading a bunch of EU tie-in stuff with Episode 1, including point-of-view journals for a lot of the characters (the Darth Maul one comes to mind- it has an epilogue by Darth Sidious, naturally) and some fairly YA oriented books about Obi-Wan's backstory as Qui-Gon's padawan. Has some interesting adventures, like when Obi-Wan gets forced into a sword duel, and how strange a sword feels at first to someone used to a lightsaber.

That was the series where Obi Wan fought against a dark jedi teenager named Xanatos who took over his home planet using an addictive gambling game called Katharsis.

Fun fact, his homeworld was Telos, which would later be the focus of Kotor 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was the series where Obi Wan fought against a dark jedi teenager named Xanatos who took over his home planet using an addictive gambling game called Katharsis.

Fun fact, his homeworld was Telos, which would later be the focus of Kotor 2.

Isn't he also Qui-Gon's second apprentice turned to the dark side? Also, I know that plot might be meant to sound silly, but when you live in a country where so many pubs and restaurants exist basically as an excuse to have slot machines...

I am a sucker for presenting mundane to us things through the perspective of someone in a fantastical setting who isn't familiar with them. I think because it makes writers have to really think about the characters' perspective, and what the things they're used to are actually like in comparison.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alan Smithee posted:

cara dune died on the way back to her home planet

Why exactly was she on her way to the asteroid field that used to be Alderaan?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

idk but that's probably why she died

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Everyone posted:

Why exactly was she on her way to the asteroid field that used to be Alderaan?

Probably to protest that the destruction of Alderaan was orchestrated by space liberals so Sleepy Mon could steal the election.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fallen Order is perfectly fine game but the enemy variety isn't convincing and animals are terrible to fight and it forces you to backtrack loads when a fast travel system would have been perfectly sensible.

Also gently caress the person and series of people who thought that the snowboarding sections were fun and should stay in the game.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Fallen Order is perfectly fine game but the enemy variety isn't convincing and animals are terrible to fight and it forces you to backtrack loads when a fast travel system would have been perfectly sensible.

Also gently caress the person and series of people who thought that the snowboarding sections were fun and should stay in the game.

do you get killed by a Wampa constantly

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The gunslinging fight at the end was fun, but didn’t exactly have a lot of tension, considering all Johnny Ringo could do was bounce a laser blast off of Mando’s beskar armor. What was he planning to do, aim for his neck? I really was expecting him to just walk away.

Fallen Order was fun, but mostly for some good lightsaber fights and the story. I got pretty tired of using the lightsaber to fight yet another random animal, though, that got old fast. Also, the collectibles were mostly pointless. “Oh cool, my lightsaber hilt is a slightly darker shade of silver. I’ll get to see that only when modifying my lightsaber.” “Yay, I have a new poncho with a sort of different yellow stripe down the same side.” Something like 80% of the collectibles felt like that to me, to the point where I just stopped bothering to look for them, and I’m usually a collectible fiend in games.

Still fun, though, good story, and I’m glad I played it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah, it felt like they made you constantly have to backtrack just to pad out the run time. “Congratulations, you finished the mission! Now go back through the entire planet you just went through to get back to your ship to go to your next mission. What’s fast travel?”

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

The gunslinging fight at the end was fun, but didn’t exactly have a lot of tension, considering all Johnny Ringo could do was bounce a laser blast off of Mando’s beskar armor. What was he planning to do, aim for his neck? I really was expecting him to just walk away.

Fallen Order was fun, but mostly for some good lightsaber fights and the story. I got pretty tired of using the lightsaber to fight yet another random animal, though, that got old fast. Also, the collectibles were mostly pointless. “Oh cool, my lightsaber hilt is a slightly darker shade of silver. I’ll get to see that only when modifying my lightsaber.” “Yay, I have a new poncho with a sort of different yellow stripe down the same side.” Something like 80% of the collectibles felt like that to me, to the point where I just stopped bothering to look for them, and I’m usually a collectible fiend in games.

Didn’t he have the blaster shotgun? Maybe it has a wide arc that could hit the weak parts of his armor’s joints? Yeah I’m probably reaching.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

there def wasn't any real stakes for the heroes. Even the civilians were pretty unscathed, though the shock cage was pretty metalcyberpunk

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cartoon Man posted:

Didn’t he have the blaster shotgun? Maybe it has a wide arc that could hit the weak parts of his armor’s joints? Yeah I’m probably reaching.

He slowly put down the shotgun, then went for a holdout blaster at the last minute. I have no idea what he was hoping for, other than it being a standard shootout scene, and it being cool. Which it was.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly remember reading a bunch of EU tie-in stuff with Episode 1, including point-of-view journals for a lot of the characters (the Darth Maul one comes to mind- it has an epilogue by Darth Sidious, naturally)

Is this Shadow Hunter? I remember this one being surprisingly good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically the bits of the game where Lightsaber goes voom and you fight hordes of stormtroopers are great, the problem is that there are long stretches of the game where you aren't doing that.

Much like with The Force Unleashed, the best elements of the gameplay are the bits that overlap with Jedi Knight 2, so just remake that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thrawn527 posted:

He was just too high strung

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think beskar-armor-toting dudes are that common, so he might underestimate its effectiveness too.

FortMan fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 29, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I don't read the books or anything, so I'm probably behind, but why are so many people itt talking about Ezra working with Thrawn, known fascist dictator and mass murderer? Why the gently caress would anybody want to see some kind of redemption story for that bastard? He may be a great villain, story wise, but he deserves the same end as Mussolini.

Also, RIP Dave Prowse.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I don't read the books or anything, so I'm probably behind, but why are so many people itt talking about Ezra working with Thrawn, known fascist dictator and mass murderer? Why the gently caress would anybody want to see some kind of redemption story for that bastard? He may be a great villain, story wise, but he deserves the same end as Mussolini.

Also, RIP Dave Prowse.

Thrawn fans love Thrawn, like a lot

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

skasion posted:

Thrawn fans love Thrawn, like a lot

Thrawn is the direct equivalent of Erwin Rommel for wehraboos

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, RIP Dave Prowse.

Wouldn’t even be the first time Rebels do a “enemies forced to work together to survive a dangerous situation”

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

thrawn527 posted:

I 100% fallen order on hardest difficulty and then never touched it again.

Backtracking on kashyyyk made me want to murder the dev team.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Basically the bits of the game where Lightsaber goes voom and you fight hordes of stormtroopers are great, the problem is that there are long stretches of the game where you aren't doing that.

Much like with The Force Unleashed, the best elements of the gameplay are the bits that overlap with Jedi Knight 2, so just remake that.

wrong

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Mando almost died last season after a blaster shot to the head gave him a concussion and internal bleeding. The blaster shots can't burn through the Beskar, but he can still take injuries from shots.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

imo fallen order has super uninspired gameplay and some baffling design decisions like the ice slopes. it's fun enough if you're really interested in the star wars content but I only ended up finishing one or two areas before losing interest

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Servetus posted:

Mando almost died last season after a blaster shot to the head gave him a concussion and internal bleeding. The blaster shots can't burn through the Beskar, but he can still take injuries from shots.

I guess. It’s just weird given how many direct shots he took in the Bo-Katan episode and was just fine. He seemed downright indestructible after that.

It doesn’t really bother me. This was my favorite live action Star Wars since ESB. Just an observation.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

NTRabbit posted:

He was just too high strung

I appreciate this and I appreciate you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wouldn’t even be the first time Rebels do a “enemies forced to work together to survive a dangerous situation”

Step 1: be mortal enemies
Step 2: get stuck in a life and death situation
Step 3: get married

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

tribbledirigible posted:

I appreciate this and I appreciate you.

Yeah, my brother and I have been making Tombstone jokes since the episode aired.

Lang goes down.
Mando: “You’re no daisy.”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem with thinking that Thrawn can ever be the good guy is that the character was literally invented as someone who appears on the scene at the point where the Empire has been driven out of the core worlds and everyone has pretty much lost hope of victory, and he says "gently caress this poo poo I'm bringing it all back". He can't give up on the fascism, he is the fascism.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm enjoying the episodes this season but I hope they do something to break up the formula of:

- "Travel to the sixth planet of Wort in the Teacup sector, there you'll find the Whisk."

- Travelling episode

- Upon finding the elusive Whisk: "Travel the fifth planet of Bathmat in the Linguine sector, there you'll find the Cheese Grater"

- Travelling episode

- Upon finding the elusive Cheese Grater: "Travel to the third planet of Butt in the Turnip sector, there you'll find the WD40"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't even like them that much. It's just that they're the top dog in terms of extremely weighty combat with low enemy counts and a low time to kill, focusing on stamina management. The action genre's pretty much mostly shooters, Platinum Games style (or Spectacle Fighters, or Character Action) with large move lists, Arkham style with single button plus counters, or Soulsborne. There are plenty of reasons to gripe with these names, like Arkham's combat being pretty much just the same as Prince of Persia Sand of Time, but nobody really compares it to that, or Metroidvania even though it's pretty comfortably just Metroid - Symphony of the Night came like a decade later.

There's no need to be a dick after I drew a fairly reasonable and informed comparison that folks would get, citing the key points of reference I used. The game is no lesser for not being totally original, and it's a perfectly good game in that subgenre. Folks who like Soulsborne games will probably like Fallen Order and will recognise most of the design sense, especially if they liked Sekiro.

Castlevania 2 was a couple years after Metroid and thats where the genre crossover started.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alchenar posted:

The problem with thinking that Thrawn can ever be the good guy is that the character was literally invented as someone who appears on the scene at the point where the Empire has been driven out of the core worlds and everyone has pretty much lost hope of victory, and he says "gently caress this poo poo I'm bringing it all back". He can't give up on the fascism, he is the fascism.

Yeah, I love reading about Thrawn (clearly) and think he’s a fascinating character because he’s “what if Sherlock Holmes was an evil military dictator?” But he can never be the good guy.

He’s the unstoppable force for our heroes to come up against, making it so their normal tactics don’t work. Luke couldn’t just use the Force, Thrawn found a way to counter that. Space battles couldn’t be won the normal way, he couldn’t be defeated that way. They had to find a way around him every time in a new way. In the old books, it was by turning his entire race of bodyguards against him by pointing out his betrayal. In Rebels, it was by using impossible to predict god drat hyperspace space whales out of nowhere, and even then Ezra had to go down with him. But in a regular toe to toe fight? Your best hope was always to retreat, regroup, and figure out another way.

But he’s still an evil military dictator focused on control through absolute power, whoever is best fit to wield that power. He can’t be the “hero”. He may fight for the heroes, if he’s convinced they’re the best to exert that power. But then, they stop being the heroes. Which would be an interesting story, but doesn’t mean Thrawn is a good guy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also, RIP Dave Prowse.

If Thrawn stays a villain, he dies, so people want a face turn to a degree to keep him around because they see him as a fun character.

Hes Star Wars David Xanatos, and people tend to like brilliant, charismatic villains because they are often simply fun characters.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Servetus posted:

That wasn't a blaster shot, it was an explosion of the repeating blaster generator right next to him. So probably no special protection from explosions over any other metal, but luckily for him almost nobody in Star Wars brings grenades to a fight.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Man, what a fantastic episode, but I'm begging you Lucasfilm, please stop working with transphobes.

In any case, I love how the episode was basically a Kurosawa film, and Mando being a proud dad of Grogu using the Force is the most precious thing. Now he just needs a "My son is a Jedi" bumper sticker for the Razor's Crest.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

Man, what a fantastic episode, but I'm begging you Lucasfilm, please stop working with transphobes.

Almost all of the Rosario Dawson stuff ended up being straight up dropped against her, including the transphobe stuff. Not settled or buried, but dropped, which I feel says a lot. There's some stuff with the altercation between the person and Rosario's mom that's still moving forward so there was actually a fight. Dawson has also been a big proponent and supportive of the LBGT community for a long rear end time.

It's also annoying as poo poo to try to actually find more info on this because outside of the furor back when the allegations were first made last year there's barely been as much follow-up on the charges being dropped and more information coming out that seem to back Dawson's side of things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also to be fair to the crew of Mando, Gina didn’t come out as a transphobe until well after the first season and second season were filmed.

They always rip their mask off

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CelticPredator posted:

Also to be fair to the crew of Mando, Gina didn’t come out as a transphobe until well after the first season and second season were filmed.

They always rip their mask off

Yeah, that's fair enough. It sucks a lot. I can only hope they don't bring her back, but that doesn't seem likely.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Almost all of the Rosario Dawson stuff ended up being straight up dropped against her, including the transphobe stuff. Not settled or buried, but dropped, which I feel says a lot.

:shrug:

"Dropped charges" mean nothing when the system is built against marginalized victims in the first place.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
they need to just accept Mando is the last decent Star Wars for at least a decade. stop trying to do spinoffs to soak in some of its reflected light. you're making the moon, not the sun. it can't grow your crops