Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Oh that’s a nice option if you’re a switch person!

I do PC so my xbox ones can do double duty on that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hey folks, we just picked up the new iPad Air, are there any features I need to know about or are we squarely in "iphone, but big" territory here? Also, a relative surprised us with one of those series 2 apple pencils and it's nice. I actually enjoy using it for general navigation, but I haven't been able to determine if it's possible to use it to view recently used apps/return to home. Is that possible?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Definitely waiting for the new Pro, then. Thanks. I’m in no hurry and the 12.9” screen would probably be better for my purposes anyway.

This is what I decided to do. I currently have the 2016 10.5 Pro, and I would love to upgrade for the newer screens alone. That said, at this point my iPad still works fine and Apple will probably do a Pro refresh for, if anything else, 5G. So I think I’m gonna hold out a bit longer, and then get the newest one and it’ll last a while.

And yes, 5G isn’t make or break for sure, but I don’t mind waiting for that plus the processor improvements.

Warbird posted:

Hey folks, we just picked up the new iPad Air, are there any features I need to know about or are we squarely in "iphone, but big" territory here? Also, a relative surprised us with one of those series 2 apple pencils and it's nice. I actually enjoy using it for general navigation, but I haven't been able to determine if it's possible to use it to view recently used apps/return to home. Is that possible?

Should be obvious, it use the Awful app (in general, not saying for the pencil).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Warbird posted:

iPad OS has gotten a bit more different from iOS in the years before and after the OS split. Might be worth watching a couple 'intro to iPad OS" and maybe some more specific "intro to iPad OS 14" videos on youtube just to get a feel. A lot of it is the same but certainly stuff like the multitasking and compatibility with peripherals is quite different.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ah, good point, I’ll go look around and see if I can find a decent video. And the awful iPad app is pretty great.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My iPad Air (2019) has had some problems with screen responsiveness. Is there any recalibration I can do?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

priznat posted:

Oh that’s a nice option if you’re a switch person!

I do PC so my xbox ones can do double duty on that as well.

Yeah the OP is a switch user so thats why I posted that one. I do own it but primarily use my xbox ones as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

The most impressive trick with the iPad Air is that you can plug in a USB-C hub, then plug in all sorts of stuff like mouse, keyboard, hard disk etc like a regular laptop

We got the pencil as well, have been very happy with it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh that’s real dumb, I need to try that. The pencil is nice but it drives me nuts that I have to use a finger to go back to home or any other “swipe from an edge” action.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I gave my husband my old cellular iPad and moved the cellular plan to my new Pro. I swear there were plans where you could prepay for a bucket of data, like a few hundred megabytes/couple of gigs and pay a minimal amount, a couple of bucks, to keep the line active. Did I make that up in my head or is not longer a thing?

He is NEVER going to use cellular data, but if I can spend some pocket change per year to keep it set up and active if our power or internet goes down, it would be nice just to have a seemless transition. Yes I have showed him iPad/iPhone tethering but he is not great with technology and hell I pay for an unlimited iPad data plan to just not mess with it that I don't really NEED at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I gave my husband my old cellular iPad and moved the cellular plan to my new Pro. I swear there were plans where you could prepay for a bucket of data, like a few hundred megabytes/couple of gigs and pay a minimal amount, a couple of bucks, to keep the line active. Did I make that up in my head or is not longer a thing?

He is NEVER going to use cellular data, but if I can spend some pocket change per year to keep it set up and active if our power or internet goes down, it would be nice just to have a seemless transition. Yes I have showed him iPad/iPhone tethering but he is not great with technology and hell I pay for an unlimited iPad data plan to just not mess with it that I don't really NEED at all.

Not that many bucket plans in the US anymore far as I know. Only real bet is the $10-20 monthly plans as add ons to your cell plan.

So if he isn’t gonna use it , I would leave the SIM in, put it on airplane mode with wifi on, and if poo poo goes down for a month you can just temp get a month of service.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it warms the cockles of my dead heart to know that Forums Pat got his own Rod Huggins in the end

:3:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is 64 gigs really enough for the iPad Air? I'm considering getting one on one of the various black friday sales and while I would much prefer to get it over the regular iPad due to its USB-C port and faster processor, I'm concerned about it's limited storage.

It would be used primarily as a supplementary work device (I'm in management, so nothing really processor heavy), and for content consumption including videos, manga, and possibly books (though I have a kindle as well)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I've found that with the inclusion of the USB-C port managing storage isn't such a hassle anymore. I keep all my mangas and videos on my little 256GB USB-C drive and that leaves a ton of room for games and other stuff I want to keep on there directly. I do have a 256GB pro so my advice might not be very useful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It also depends on how much you want to locally store poo poo on your device. I do a lot of PDF document annotation and reading on my iPad and I figured initially I’d do all my storage on-device. That really didn’t end up being the case and I usually keep all that stuff on cloud-accessible storage.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I lived very happily with my old iPad Air with 64gb. Unless you are a manic gamer or hoarder of movies you should be fine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Three Olives posted:

Look in the cellular settings on the iPad itself to add a plan, and look for ‘prepaid’ options for each carrier. Every carrier’s website is geared towards selling you a postpaid plan.

T-Mobile US for example has a $10 5GB for 5 months plan that’s pretty aligned with your goals.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I have 64GB and is only becoming an issue recently cause I needed to do some video stuff on it. Basically just putting a bunch of clips together and...not enough space left to export the project :downs:

hatty posted:

I've found that with the inclusion of the USB-C port managing storage isn't such a hassle anymore. I keep all my mangas and videos on my little 256GB USB-C drive and that leaves a ton of room for games and other stuff I want to keep on there directly. I do have a 256GB pro so my advice might not be very useful.
What app(s) do you use, like can you open stuff straight off the storage without copying over in the Files app or do you use other stuff?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Paying for an iPad wireless plan just to have it for occasional moments of mild need strikes me as the sort of wastefulness Pat would abhor. Having extra auxiliary wireless devices of convenience with fully paid out data plans is way more of a Ray move.

On the other hand, giving your partner an iPad and buying them an excessive wireless plan that they do not really understand, much less use, in case of emergencies is an extremely Pat thing to do.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

japtor posted:

I have 64GB and is only becoming an issue recently cause I needed to do some video stuff on it. Basically just putting a bunch of clips together and...not enough space left to export the project :downs:

Seconding this. If you ever want to edit long or 4k video, 64 GB quickly becomes a storage juggling chore.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ended up getting an iPad Air 64 GB at Costco. I figure that most of my content consumption will be streaming so hopefully that low storage capacity shouldn't be an issue. I'm also looking into ways to be able to transfer data from my phone to the iPad if necessary. The phone that I have right now has 256 GB so it will be plenty of storage if I need to do that. Even if I can't use some wireless medium, I think I should be able to just connect my android phone to my iPad and set my phone to be in mass storage device mode. I would think the iPad would just see it as a USB memory stick at that point.

I feel a little better about my purchase because Costco has a more generous return policy of 90 days, and they also have a two-year warranty that they provide themselves and I purchased it with the Costco visa card which gives another two-year warranty on top of that. That gives me a lot of peace of mind about the hardware being well supported as long as I don't damage it or destroy it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ended up getting an iPad Air 64 GB at Costco. I figure that most of my content consumption will be streaming so hopefully that low storage capacity shouldn't be an issue. I'm also looking into ways to be able to transfer data from my phone to the iPad if necessary. The phone that I have right now has 256 GB so it will be plenty of storage if I need to do that. Even if I can't use some wireless medium, I think I should be able to just connect my android phone to my iPad and set my phone to be in mass storage device mode. I would think the iPad would just see it as a USB memory stick at that point.

I feel a little better about my purchase because Costco has a more generous return policy of 90 days, and they also have a two-year warranty that they provide themselves and I purchased it with the Costco visa card which gives another two-year warranty on top of that. That gives me a lot of peace of mind about the hardware being well supported as long as I don't damage it or destroy it.

Give yourself 90 days and try to really overdo it with content storage, use, etc. Try playing with external storage and seeing how that works out for you. Imagine you’ve had the tablet for a year or two and have really put a ton of cruft on it.

It’s good to give yourself ~20gb for any apps or games that you might pick up.

You can always juggle apps really easily and save all of the requisite data, etc (rather than, say, finishing Vice City for the umpteenth time and keeping it on your device) but that’s a pain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google Fi will let you tether any device at no additional charge

On top of this they will ship you a second data only sim free that charges you I forget, something like $1 for every 100mb which is pretty reasonable. I've been a happy Google Fi customer for about 5 years now and pretty sure they support iPhone users now

We use the USB-C port for external ssd for video editing etc etc on our iPad Air, works great, we just bought the 64gb model fully expecting to use the ssd and have had zero issues. Lightning connector is gonna be dead here in a few years, hard to argue with the USB-C connector

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

japtor posted:

What app(s) do you use, like can you open stuff straight off the storage without copying over in the Files app or do you use other stuff?

With videos I can watch stuff straight off the storage with nPlayer, with manga I haven’t found an app I like where I don’t have to copy over from the external but chunky is fast enough it isn’t really a hassle.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For most people , 64GB works great for an iPad (unless it’s some business use that requires larger files or something). So for anyone worried about 64GB, you should be fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've seen it used on Youtube somewhere, some infinite canvas drawing and writing app called Concepts. How does it hold up against GoodNotes? Anyone working with both?

--edit: Apparently it imports PDFs, too, which I use GoodNotes for, to annotate.

--edit: Can't do full-text search. Guess I'm gonna try using both. GoodNotes for PDF annotation and searching within, and Concepts for writing out my harebrained stuff that comes up at work. GoodNotes can barely decipher my chicken scratch handwriting anyway, an infinite canvas is more valuable.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 29, 2020

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I am too old and set in my ways, infinite canvas sounds like a nightmare of trying to find things.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Anyone got a go to Air case they like? I’d be down for a keyboard, but it wouldn’t be a must have. Preferably something to make casual holding a bit easier too. The Apple keyboard case is nice but sure is 200 goddamn dollars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

The General posted:

I am too old and set in my ways, infinite canvas sounds like a nightmare of trying to find things.
Obviously not wanting to go autistic and do the digital equivalent of scribbling across all four walls of the room. But doing mind-mapping type of stuff, the A3 page size in GoodNotes is sometimes restricting. OneNote would be a solution, but the app is pretty meh to be honest.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was comparing my monitor to other screens because I was dissatisfied with the image but to my surprise the screenshot I was using looked even worse on my 12.9" iPad Pro. Very bad definition in dark areas. It also looked miles better on my SE. I got my sister to lend me her own Pro for a comparison, and again it looked much much better there. Side to side I'd call the image on my Pro unacceptable. True tone/night shift were set to the same on both.

Is there some kind of recalibration I can do? Is there an accepted tolerance level for screen quality, any chance I could exchange it? I got it as a present a few months ago but only really started using it recently because of some life/covid complications.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Warbird posted:

Anyone got a go to Air case they like? I’d be down for a keyboard, but it wouldn’t be a must have. Preferably something to make casual holding a bit easier too. The Apple keyboard case is nice but sure is 200 goddamn dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGGPMCL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This style case seems to be a generic design at this point but I've used the style for years on multiple iPads and it is wonderful. Soft touch all around, works as a stand. AAA++++ would buy again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

Anyone got a go to Air case they like?

We have this one, it's about $12 fits like a glove, in clear

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08JCJ2LN7

Feels kind of cheap, probably won't last more than a year, but good value at the price point. You can buy 20 years worth of these for one Apple branded one

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Well, looks like the 8th gen iPad is out of stock everywhere in England until next year. Wonder if I should keep digging or just get an Air as the Christmas present. More wary about my mum not being able to use an iPad without a button to be honest.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

Well, looks like the 8th gen iPad is out of stock everywhere in England until next year. Wonder if I should keep digging or just get an Air as the Christmas present. More wary about my mum not being able to use an iPad without a button to be honest.

Hell her setup her fingerprint and I think she would be able to handle it fine.

People really discount what older people can handle technology wise. Especially with iPhone / iPad which is made to be extremely simple. I’m guilty of this, I never thought my mom would have a smartphone or iPad, but I gave her my old iPad and she loves it. I do some of the initial setup, but she legit can mostly troubleshoot any issues on her own (which is mostly turn off and on), and it just works for her.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Well I managed to find one for in store pickup. Completely agree that I sometimes underestimate tech abilities but in my mum’s case, she used to use a different internet browser for each website she used. She thought I’d permanently deleted her email account because I accessed a different website. So I’m setting this iPad up with the intention of it lasting at least five years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

We have this one, it's about $12 fits like a glove, in clear

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08JCJ2LN7

Feels kind of cheap, probably won't last more than a year, but good value at the price point. You can buy 20 years worth of these for one Apple branded one
You should probably stop buying things from whoever is trying to sell you an $80 Apple case for $240.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Approximately six years ago I purchased an iPad to read ebooks and assorted other things I already owned which I managed to transfer to it via my PC to the iPad and that has been fine for these years.

As time has gone on it has become a little damaged and, well, obsolete in a way, so I purchased a new iPad recently with the plan to use it in the same way (which I did ask about here, thank you!).

However I have a problem in that I cannot find a way to transfer the ebooks I have on my Old iPad to my New iPad. I have managed to connect both to my PC and in iTunes I see there is an option if I right-click a book I can Send to Device, and I can select the New iPad for this but nothing happens when I click that option.

I am honestly very confused and I have done an assortment of googling but I cannot easily find a way to do this and nothing seems to work, and I could really do with some help if any one could guide me on how to transfer my books or tell me what I'm doing wrong please. Thank you.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

RoboJoe posted:

Approximately six years ago I purchased an iPad to read ebooks and assorted other things I already owned which I managed to transfer to it via my PC to the iPad and that has been fine for these years.

As time has gone on it has become a little damaged and, well, obsolete in a way, so I purchased a new iPad recently with the plan to use it in the same way (which I did ask about here, thank you!).

However I have a problem in that I cannot find a way to transfer the ebooks I have on my Old iPad to my New iPad. I have managed to connect both to my PC and in iTunes I see there is an option if I right-click a book I can Send to Device, and I can select the New iPad for this but nothing happens when I click that option.

I am honestly very confused and I have done an assortment of googling but I cannot easily find a way to do this and nothing seems to work, and I could really do with some help if any one could guide me on how to transfer my books or tell me what I'm doing wrong please. Thank you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301 is the Apple method for transferring files, just make sure iTunes is up to date. EPub/Pdf is pretty easy to import into the books app. I use iCloud for windows on my PC which the article mentions, but you can even just email them to yourself. The only thing I sync via iTunes these days is audiobooks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I don't know if your old version of the iPad has the file browser that the current iPad OS has but couldn't you just airdrop it to the new one?

All wireless and no need for the clunky iTunes implementation of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah I would update the old iPad to the newest OS it can take and then try to AirDrop poo poo over. AFAIR my old Air 1 was able to Airdrop and do file browser poo poo eventually