Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Animal-Mother posted:

People in dying small towns should just move. That's what happened to the residents of all the ghost towns. The economic machinery either failed or became unnecessary and people moved on. "But it would be a shame if small town America" No. Small town America is over. Do what everybody else in the world does and move on. Nobody's obligated to subsidize your quaint way of life.

Move where and do what? You're going to be subsidizing them either way. For most of them, if they could afford to just stop and go to college and get a good paying job in a city immediately after, they would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Move where and do what? You're going to be subsidizing them either way. For most of them, if they could afford to just stop and go to college and get a good paying job in a city immediately after, they would have.

Sounds to me like they should just get better jobs and stop being poor

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are no good jobs, unless you're a sociopath stemlord.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

People who wear their mask under their nose are the scum of the earth. I hate them, and I wish them nothing but suffering.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

As a sociopath stemlord, there are no good jobs even so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

cocaine sucks. everyone ive ever known who does cocaine has been a lovely person. it seems to just turn you into a huge cock in no time at all and the drug should just be eradicated along with meth while everyone should be encouraged to drink beer and smoke weed

Because beer doesn't bring out the worst in anyone.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

People who wear their mask under their nose are the scum of the earth. I hate them, and I wish them nothing but suffering.

:hmmyes:

While we're on the subject of masks, I was riding the bus the other day, and this maskless guy stepped up, pulled a mask out of his pocket, presented it to the bus driver, and was allowed onboard after putting the mask back in his pocket. When I got off the bus 10-ish minutes later, he was still maskless. What's the point of having big rear end LED "masks required" signs on the front of the bus if drivers & passengers are just going to ignore it or allow bullshit technicalities? It made me feel not great about going back to using public transportation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Countries that still have the Union Jack in canton on their flags should feel great shame

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tell them to learn to code.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Coding is going to be what lawyer degrees were in the mid 2000's. It's going to be an oversaturated market filled with people who are convinced that the second they set foot into a place they are going to do well.

It's going to be a loving disaster.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Learn to code was never meant to be applied to people in other careers, it is meant for people who already work in programming to learn how to do it better to actually make things better and more efficient.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Eh, I don't know--coding is pretty boring, and this repels a lot of people from going into it. There are also a million legal dramas on TV, but very few computer programmer-oriented ones.

I've also got to believe that the demand for computer programmers is growing much more rapidly now than the legal services industry did then.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

more stanislaw lem novels should get movie adaptations, "fiasco" in particular, could be like a good anti-interstellar

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I really enjoyed my last safety job even if it was completely exhausting sometimes. :shrug:

It took me some job hopping in my twenties, working at some jobs that I hated, figuring out why I hated them, and building some experience at jobs that I liked but was insanely poor at; but I managed to break into a field that I like even if I don’t like every job in it.

PHUO: it’s possible to like your job even if you aren’t one of the brainwashed management types that can’t finish a sentence without a buzzword.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Countries that still have the Union Jack in canton on their flags should feel great shame

Agreed, and extra shame on the state of Hawaii.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Depression and other brain problems are pretty toxic and it's entirely okay to remove people who have them from your life.

Also, those problems don't excuse lovely behavior, they just explain it. So I wish people didn't get a diagnosis (or more likely self-diagnose) and immediately feel relief like it's suddenly okay to be a lovely person now that there is an explanation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I agree with that. People that always look for ways to be miserable or actively try to make their lives worse are terrible to be around. Moving on from people like that made my life about 1000% more enjoyable. You can only pour so much of yourself into a blackhole before you start to recognize that no amount of support will ever be enough for them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Depression and other brain problems are pretty toxic and it's entirely okay to remove people who have them from your life.

Also, those problems don't excuse lovely behavior, they just explain it. So I wish people didn't get a diagnosis (or more likely self-diagnose) and immediately feel relief like it's suddenly okay to be a lovely person now that there is an explanation.

i dunno about depression because thats usually just someone who feels lovely but a friend of a friend was a schizophrenic and i dont want anything to do with that guy. when he has an episode he'll just throw around like suicide and death threats and he has this insufferable sense of superiority at the same time and just rambling bullshit. the episodes wouldnt be so bad if they didnt seem like an exaggerated version of his "normal" personality, when he's already annoying and trying to make everything about himself. some of my friends are friends with him and reason that it's important to be compassionate and understanding because he's a patient but aside from that his entire disorder just seems so bound up with who he is as a guy that i can't understand wanting to have to deal with him. gently caress him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They should fix the Colosseum

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goyim who "love Israel" but also whine about "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" are the only people who should be extrajudicially removed by Mossad

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i dunno about depression because thats usually just someone who feels lovely but a friend of a friend was a schizophrenic and i dont want anything to do with that guy. when he has an episode he'll just throw around like suicide and death threats and he has this insufferable sense of superiority at the same time and just rambling bullshit. the episodes wouldnt be so bad if they didnt seem like an exaggerated version of his "normal" personality, when he's already annoying and trying to make everything about himself. some of my friends are friends with him and reason that it's important to be compassionate and understanding because he's a patient but aside from that his entire disorder just seems so bound up with who he is as a guy that i can't understand wanting to have to deal with him. gently caress him.

I'm trying not to have a knee jerk reaction that I doubt you actually deserve so I'll just mention that I have had family members and close friends with various debilitating mental illnesses and that some people actually are worth the extra effort.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

docbeard posted:

I'm trying not to have a knee jerk reaction that I doubt you actually deserve so I'll just mention that I have had family members and close friends with various debilitating mental illnesses and that some people actually are worth the extra effort.

It’s Shibwanako, they’ve got like 70% of the posts in this thread with their weird opinions that almost seem custom designed to draw a response.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

docbeard posted:

sure i wasnt generalizing but the guy im talking about will just do things like manipulate people into giving him money, guilt tripping them like "you never cared about me anyway but if you do please show it by giving me cash" and so on. if you dont comply he'll just go into a psychotic episode where he thinks everybody is plotting against him or some poo poo. i dunno how anyone can not just cut him off at that point

i have ADD probably and i know plenty of people with all kinds of problems but sometimes that's really no excuse and it's okay to tell them to gently caress off too when they go too far

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s Shibwanako, they’ve got like 70% of the posts in this thread with their weird opinions that almost seem custom designed to draw a response.

uhh thats what this thread is for??

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I am with Shibawanko on this one. Some of the the mentally ill people I’ve dealt with have been worth the effort but most have not. If someone’s problems make it a terrible drain to hang out with them, you don’t have to!

It feels selfish but really, if you are ok not being friends with literally every person you meet then it’s just one more not-friend.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I like the long blogs before a recipe. At worst they're funny in the bad way and sometimes they're really a lovely little story. I read lots of cookbooks that have long essays in them, I don't see why a website recipe has to be different. I do think there should be a button to skip them on every recipe page, though. I'm not a complete monster.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Big blocks of text are easy to skip past. The real unforgivable sin is recipe blogs with multimedia ads and popups that are hell to navigate on a phone.

Especially when they do the thing where you try to bypass all the junk by putting the browser in text reader mode, and the ingredients list is formatted in a way that doesn't show up there.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wizzardstaff posted:

Big blocks of text are easy to skip past. The real unforgivable sin is recipe blogs with multimedia ads and popups that are hell to navigate on a phone.

Especially when they do the thing where you try to bypass all the junk by putting the browser in text reader mode, and the ingredients list is formatted in a way that doesn't show up there.

If its something you'll be referencing again look for the print button that often cleans up all that bullshit.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
The government should have cancelled all holidays this year and made it a crime to celebrate them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

The government should have cancelled all holidays this year and made it a crime to celebrate them.

eyy, we got a real live Oliver Cromwell over here

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The Dark Tower is a better magnum opus than lord of the rings.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Dark Tower is a better magnum opus than lord of the rings.

Wow... it's certainly better written of course.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The above two posts are the worst takes this thread has ever had

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The first four books of The Dark Tower are amazing. They kinda fell off for me after that, but I still finished it and liked the ending.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The above two posts are the worst takes this thread has ever had

The fact that Tolkien writes like you drive a forklift isn't even an opinion, and even if it were it wouldn't be unpopular.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

The first four books of The Dark Tower are amazing. They kinda fell off for me after that, but I still finished it and liked the ending.

Anyone who can do even a partial self-insert should be congratulated.

And leaving it open-ended but finishing at the same time. :golfclap:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait is Dark Tower the one where some random hobo gives a kid some hooch to drink and then the kid hallucinates about werewolves and poo poo? Or was that something else?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Gunslinger is really good, but it promises a lot of things that the rest of the series utterly fails to deliver. Wizard and Glass is a godawful waste of time and the series as a whole would be dramatically improved by removing it. Even the bits that aren't the completely pointless flashback that comprises the majority of the novel. Whatever explanation you could imagine for how they beat/escaped Blaine the Mono would be better than what actually happens. You are right though that the first three books are a lot better than the last three, which are mostly mediocre with a few bright spots. The ending is... fine, I guess?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wait is Dark Tower the one where some random hobo gives a kid some hooch to drink and then the kid hallucinates about werewolves and poo poo? Or was that something else?
Pretty sure that's something else.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I know I read the first Dark Tower book, maybe four years ago? I just don't remember anything of it.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You're thinking of To Kill A Mockingbird - it's the famous scene where Dolphus Raymond gives Jem a sip of his Paper Bag Juice and then Jem has a dream sequence where he travels across America seeking the power of The Talisman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's The Talisman