Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It shows up as a generic controller if you to that, better to just plug it in or get a wireless dongle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

falz posted:

Do the original Xbone controllers (launch edition + a year or so after) proprietary wireless controllers work on Series consoles?

Yes, I play coop using them regularly on the Series X

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Cojawfee posted:

All the controllers use that to connect to the console. The Bluetooth is just for connecting to phones.
Oh weird, I thought they redid the protocol or something. The range on the original controllers was terrible, at least compared to 360, buy I think those were 2.4ghz and Bone is 5ghz.

Old place I had all av stuff, including console, hiding in AV area of basement (but used primarily in living room above) and 360 worked great, Xbone not at all.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Noice, mine arrives on Tuesday and cost almost 4,000 dollarydoos. Washed out shadows sucks but isn't really a huge deal is it?

Has anyone here actually seen this? How big of deal is it?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

The Grey posted:

I have been looking for it on my CX since I read about it, and I can't ID the issue IRL with my eyeballs. I am still wildly impressed with this beauty of a TV.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Grey posted:

Its not a huge deal its just something a/v guys are going to pull their hair out over. This scene should be fully dark but you can see some object in the shadow when you put vrr on cause the black turns a little gray as if you have the gamma slider cranked too high

You can lower the gamma to compensate but then your bright areas will be dimmer. Its just the kinda thing that eats away at your mind in the middle of the night if you are that kind of person.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe you should play halo 5 before posting about how great it is

SUNKOS posted:

I haven't played Halo 5 but apparently the singleplayer is so-so (not enough Master Chief is what I heard?) and the multiplayer is just... a mess?

:confused:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm playing through the MCC right now. I last played through Halo 1-3 on it when I briefly had an original Xbone back in 2015. I'm on Halo 3 right now. Here's some of my thoughts so far.

Halo 1 Anniversary Edition still suffers from a lot of pop in on the updated graphicsl mode. Weirdly, I prefer the classic Halo graphics. It has better art direction, the updated graphics are somewhat bland.

Halo 2 Anniversary has really beautiful cutscenes. The updated graphics are better this time, but sometimes the original look is better. Gameplay wise, at the time I was playing it, it was fine, but now that I've moved onto Halo 3, I retroactively like Halo 2 less. The weapons don't have the same impact and feel floatier. Melee attacks are worthless now.

I'm in the middle of Halo 3 and I'm liking it a lot more than I did before. The textures on the human characters take a large hit, being an early era 360 game, but the gameplay is way better. The guns feel better to shoot, melee attacks matter again, and the controller's trigger has a really nice feel when shooting the different weapons. It's weird that they didn't do that for Halo 1 or 2.

I'll probably move onto Halo 3 ODST after this, then Reach, then 4. I remember going into 4 after 3 in my 2015 playthroughs and just fizzling out partway through. It looked nice but it just didn't have the same spark as the others.

I did also play through 5 and don't remember, other than the stupid rear end ending.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SUNKOS posted:

. They did a lot with Halo 5 from the looks of things and by all accounts it appears the core gameplay (movement and feel etc.) was improved dramatically and they really nailed it (even Bungie started copying aspects of it for Destiny 2 e.g. mantling) because people seem to love how it feels

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for $20 at Target and $23 at Best buy

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1333096158755897346

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I really hope not, I just bought it a few days ago on the Black Friday sales in the Microsoft Store. I should have known of course, I've developed a habit of buying games that end up on Game Pass within a month.

Trying to resist playing Control, to wait for the next-gen update, but I'm wondering if there's merit in playing it now and then again with the update.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm playing through the MCC right now. I last played through Halo 1-3 on it when I briefly had an original Xbone back in 2015. I'm on Halo 3 right now. Here's some of my thoughts so far.

Halo 1 Anniversary Edition still suffers from a lot of pop in on the updated graphicsl mode. Weirdly, I prefer the classic Halo graphics. It has better art direction, the updated graphics are somewhat bland.

Halo 2 Anniversary has really beautiful cutscenes. The updated graphics are better this time, but sometimes the original look is better. Gameplay wise, at the time I was playing it, it was fine, but now that I've moved onto Halo 3, I retroactively like Halo 2 less. The weapons don't have the same impact and feel floatier. Melee attacks are worthless now.

I'm in the middle of Halo 3 and I'm liking it a lot more than I did before. The textures on the human characters take a large hit, being an early era 360 game, but the gameplay is way better. The guns feel better to shoot, melee attacks matter again, and the controller's trigger has a really nice feel when shooting the different weapons. It's weird that they didn't do that for Halo 1 or 2.

I'll probably move onto Halo 3 ODST after this, then Reach, then 4. I remember going into 4 after 3 in my 2015 playthroughs and just fizzling out partway through. It looked nice but it just didn't have the same spark as the others.

I did also play through 5 and don't remember, other than the stupid rear end ending.

The Halo series peaked with Halo 3, really.

Halo Reach multiplayer is pretty good too, it's practically the same as 3 but now you can choose between 5 abilities during the match. I like the holo ability, people still fall for it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

...and? That's not a rebuttal, you just seem upset that I pointed out one aspect of the game that was good and how other developers adopted the same features? As you can see from my quote I wasn't claiming the entire game was great so I don't know why you're so bothered. Movement mechanics are just one part of very many pieces that make up a video game. This is basic stuff.

I dunno, maybe post that picture of Craig the brute some more if your console warrior blood is boiling and you need to get it out of your system?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
its on gamepass go play it and then talk about it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

John F Bennett posted:

The Halo series peaked with Halo 3, really.

Halo Reach multiplayer is pretty good too, it's practically the same as 3 but now you can choose between 5 abilities during the match. I like the holo ability, people still fall for it.

Literally my exact feelings on halo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Getting good with holo was probably one of the most fun online fps experiences to be had

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is Reach sp any use? It's the only one I don't own

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Reach is arguably the best sp campaign

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah reach sp is great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Oh cool I’ll get it in Mcc

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

All of this halo talk has me intrigued. I think I bought halo 2 from goodwill and played it for like 5 minutes but had something else I had to do and never went back to it. At the time I couldn’t do shooter games (poor coordination) but then went on to play though fallout 3, new vegas, most of 4, 5 seasons of fortnite etc so I think I’m coordinated enough to give it a shot now. Where is a good place to start in the halo universe?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

otter posted:

All of this halo talk has me intrigued. I think I bought halo 2 from goodwill and played it for like 5 minutes but had something else I had to do and never went back to it. At the time I couldn’t do shooter games (poor coordination) but then went on to play though fallout 3, new vegas, most of 4, 5 seasons of fortnite etc so I think I’m coordinated enough to give it a shot now. Where is a good place to start in the halo universe?

Get the MCC and just mess around with a few of the games!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reach is the best all-around SP experience

I wish we had gotten more of the space combat stuff they put in Reach, but of course that was Bungie's last Halo game so I guess that was never going to happen.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reach is the best all-around SP experience

I wish we had gotten more of the space combat stuff they put in Reach, but of course that was Bungie's last Halo game so I guess that was never going to happen.
Oh poo poo I completely forgot that was in there.

What other primarily FPS games had space or air dog fighting? CoD Infinite Warfare is the only other one I can think of right now but there must be more.

Surprising they never did that with Destiny considering everybody has spaceships.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Akuma posted:

Oh poo poo I completely forgot that was in there.

What other primarily FPS games had space or air dog fighting? CoD Infinite Warfare is the only other one I can think of right now but there must be more.

Surprising they never did that with Destiny considering everybody has spaceships.
It's probably a big pain in the rear end to do when you are essentially slapping another type of game into your FPS

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's probably a big pain in the rear end to do when you are essentially slapping another type of game into your FPS

Huh, I hadn't really noticed that games having a vehicle section has fallen out of favor, but I guess it has.

Call of duties still have a tank section, right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really hope not, I just bought it a few days ago on the Black Friday sales in the Microsoft Store. I should have known of course, I've developed a habit of buying games that end up on Game Pass within a month.

Yeah, back when I got my One S in early 2019, I was kinda blown away that they had Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Game Pass lol. After seeing that, I resorted to only buying games either if they have a steep discount or are an older classic title I want to own. It's why I'm also debating purchasing CB2077 since it'll probably end up on Game Pass eventually, and I have a huge backlog of games already on Game Pass and Steam that I want to play through.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I got SotTR for about 50% off a week after it came out on PS4, I think it tanked sales-wise

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got SotTR for about 50% off a week after it came out on PS4, I think it tanked sales-wise

Seems like it wasn't as well received as the first two. I picked up the Definitive Edition this past weekend for ~$9 since it's not on Game Pass anymore.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Small brain: buying games new for $70
Big brain: buying games two weeks after they come out when they go on sale for 50% (we call this the streamer tax)
Galaxy brain: paying $15 a month to not play any games at all because you're still replaying all your favorite games from 10 years ago.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get the MCC and just mess around with a few of the games!

I started downloading it but it's going to break my data cap =/ stupid comcast.
133 gb and I don't know if it has updated to include the 25 gb or so updates from Mortal Kombat 11 last night. Looks like I have plans for Dec 1 when it resets.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

American McGay posted:

Small brain: buying games new for $70
Big brain: buying games two weeks after they come out when they go on sale for 50% (we call this the streamer tax)
Galaxy brain: paying $15 a month to not play any games at all because you're still replaying all your favorite games from 10 years ago.

I've only paid ~$4/month for my Game Pass Ultimate subscription. :colbert:

Been getting pretty good mileage out of Game Pass, since it currently has games I've been itching to play that I don't have on Steam. Currently going through Route B in Nier, and plan to play Fallen Order after that before I do the other Nier routes. I've also played a fair bit of Streets of Rage 4 and Tetris Effect. Might start Ori depending on how much I enjoy Fallen Order. I also like doing all the Game Pass quests for Reward Points :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I haven't paid anything for gamepass ultimate. Thank you Microsoft rewards. I also have enough points that I can probably keep it going for another year or two for free after my current stockpile ends.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, having seen EA Play was coming to GPU, my plan was to buy a year's worth subscription of GPU as a buffer for me to earn enough reward points to indefinitely extend my subscription through reward points only. So far so good! I've already added 4 months of GPU to my sub through reward points and will probably max out the 3 years soon at the rate I'm doing all the dailies/quests/etc.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Hmm, I just started this month with GPU but am I being a dumbass for paying monthly then?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

John F Bennett posted:

Hmm, I just started this month with GPU but am I being a dumbass for paying monthly then?

Target and Best Buy have 3-month codes for half off if you want to get a couple of those and save some money.

Edit: nevermind, Best Buy doesn't have the sale anymore

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I still don't understand how you generate enough rewards points to ever pay for a month, much less an ongoing subscription.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FunOne posted:

I still don't understand how you generate enough rewards points to ever pay for a month, much less an ongoing subscription.

I've racked up enough points to get $1.25 gift card, and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

FunOne posted:

I normally get thousands of points monthly without doing much.