Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, that's fair enough. It sucks a lot. I can only hope they don't bring her back, but that doesn't seem likely.

:shrug:

"Dropped charges" mean nothing when the system is built against marginalized victims in the first place.

True, but it’s also not really fair to just label her as a “transphobe” and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I don't mind Mandos armor being blaster proof, but considering 40% of his body is just covered by Dickies™ coveralls he needs to take a hit once in a while to keep the stakes higher. As it is there's too much of a Dungeons and Dragons armored bikini thing going on.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Melt that beskar spear down into some beskar chainmail.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Butternubs posted:

It’s hard to describe how unbelievably badass that would be.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Butternubs posted:

That weapon will be needed for his inevitable duel with Gideon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Makes gloves out of the Beskar so Mando can do that thing where Goku was fending off Trunks' sword with his finger.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Lobok posted:

Makes gloves out of the Beskar so Mando can do that thing where Goku was fending off Trunks' sword with his finger.

Moff Gideon has Mando down, and brings down the Darksaber to finish the job. Mando flips him off, and catches the blade on his finger.

*dink*

"Huh, this usually works."

*dink*

"Well, performance issues, not uncommon."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

The gunslinging fight at the end was fun, but didn’t exactly have a lot of tension, considering all Johnny Ringo could do was bounce a laser blast off of Mando’s beskar armor. What was he planning to do, aim for his neck? I really was expecting him to just walk away.

I was 2/3rds sure he was doing the fake-out he did but kind of hoping he'd walk away. I figure his thought was something like, "Maybe I can hit the Mando in a weak spot but even if not, getting shot dead here will be a quicker, cleaner death than getting torn limb from limb by the people in this city I've been viciously oppressing."

As for Thrawn, there's a couple of factors. First, in the original Heir to the Empire trilogy, he was a cool, interesting, charismatic villain who was very different from Vader and the Emperor. Plus, he wasn't cartoonishly evil.

Secondly, in various other Timothy Zahn stories, Zahn was not-so-subtly pushing for the character's redemption. Really, not even redemption so much as redefinition as a hero.

Both of those aspects have continued into the new Disney canon.

And, hell, even within Star Wars: Rebels, where Thrawn debuted, the precedent has already been set for the idea of a hardline Imperial "bad guy" to switch sides and be redeemed and accepted as one of the "good guys."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Alan Smithee posted:

that's a dark saber you philistine

do u even read star wars

gently caress

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
anyways beskar isnt even that tough. u know whats real tough? thats right. beetle armor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing you could say for Thrawn in the old canon (unless you buy into the hype and making him space rommel that later books did) us that he was meritocratic and that the Imperial remnant moved slightly off the dial from space nazis to merely being a military autocracy. Pellaeon was Thrawn's XO and assumed successor. He was a good commander and eventually a decent statesman but the guy was an officer first and he repeatedly deferred control of the Empire to loving lunatics like Daala or the Moff council because he didn't want to rule the Empire. It might have taken thirty years following Thrawn's death and dozens of failed campaigns by warlords for the Remnant to finally stabilize, but at least they'd given up on literal genocide.

Baby steps. Thrawn was still a bad person who committed war crimes and people clamoring for him to join the good guys shouldn't forget that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PunkBoy posted:

:shrug:

"Dropped charges" mean nothing when the system is built against marginalized victims in the first place.

It's not "dropped charges" like Gina was on trial. It was a lawsuit that already wasn't really passing the smell test when it was first put out, and then the plaintiff dropped almost all of his claims and the original lawyer left the case. That's one of the surefire signs of there not being truth in the filing.

Seriously, we need to have some kind of discernment with accusations instead of just accepting everything we hear without evidence or a pattern to go off.

Pyromancer posted:

That wasn't a blaster shot, it was an explosion of the repeating blaster generator right next to him. So probably no special protection from explosions over any other metal, but luckily for him almost nobody in Star Wars brings grenades to a fight.

Historically it's been really difficult to protect against explosions because it's such an extreme pressure wave across your entire body. Those huge EOD suits like in The Hurt Locker infamously don't actually save your life if most bombs you're working on go off; they just keep your body intact. So even if nobody is accurate enough to shoot the suit between the plates, Mando's got a constant vulnerability. The only problem is you need a big boom like an exploding E-web generator, or hope that the shrapnel from a grenade gets through the gaps.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best thing you could say for Thrawn in the old canon (unless you buy into the hype and making him space rommel that later books did) us that he was meritocratic and that the Imperial remnant moved slightly off the dial from space nazis to merely being a military autocracy. Pellaeon was Thrawn's XO and assumed successor. He was a good commander and eventually a decent statesman but the guy was an officer first and he repeatedly deferred control of the Empire to loving lunatics like Daala or the Moff council because he didn't want to rule the Empire. It might have taken thirty years following Thrawn's death and dozens of failed campaigns by warlords for the Remnant to finally stabilize, but at least they'd given up on literal genocide.

Baby steps. Thrawn was still a bad person who committed war crimes and people clamoring for him to join the good guys shouldn't forget that.

how different is nuThrawn?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

Not that different except that nu Thrawn is implied to have some pretty bad repressed anger issues. Theyre both confident in their abilities to the point of arrogance and they both have ulterior motives for serving the Empire beyond blind loyalty to Sheev.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Rinkles posted:

He seemed more cruel in the Rebels arc; but he's always kind of been space Hannibal Lector but without the canabalism and into military strategy. Same kind of creepy upper-crust love of art though.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Jumping on the bandwagon of “shouted out loud when Thrawn was name dropped.”

I was FULLY convinced that she’d ask about Gideon to tie her into the greater show plot line and just lost my poo poo when instead...
I loved everything about that episode.

Also, for all its flaws, Jedi Fallen Order gave us an awesome exclusive song by The Hu.

https://youtu.be/YwutOqv4cGo

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly remember reading a bunch of EU tie-in stuff with Episode 1, including point-of-view journals for a lot of the characters (the Darth Maul one comes to mind- it has an epilogue by Darth Sidious, naturally) and some fairly YA oriented books about Obi-Wan's backstory as Qui-Gon's padawan. Has some interesting adventures, like when Obi-Wan gets forced into a sword duel, and how strange a sword feels at first to someone used to a lightsaber.

Was this based on Liam Neeson’s actual experience filming episode I? I definitely remember a behind the scenes interview where he talks about how he was the only one on set who had done actual sword fighting and how lightsabers were so different and elegant that he had to learn a complete different style of choreography.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

They should have kept the heavier style swordfighting, at least for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. It would at least have explained Vader's style since it would have just been Obi-Wan passing along what he was taught.

Everybody expecting all the flippy poo poo would have been caught unprepared for straight-up getting bashed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hazo posted:

Was this based on Liam Neeson’s actual experience filming episode I? I definitely remember a behind the scenes interview where he talks about how he was the only one on set who had done actual sword fighting and how lightsabers were so different and elegant that he had to learn a complete different style of choreography.

I mean in Rob Roy he was swinging around a claymore like it weighed twenty pounds.

tribbledirigible posted:

Everybody expecting all the flippy poo poo would have been caught unprepared for straight-up getting bashed.

Ah, the Kyle Katarn approach.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 29, 2020

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Rewatched the episode and during the final encounter with the Magistrate's soldiers and droids, the moment when Ahsoka ignites her sabers together and pulls them apart? The loving best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Rewatched the episode and during the final encounter with the Magistrate's soldiers and droids, the moment when Ahsoka ignites her sabers together and pulls them apart? The loving best.

That poo poo made no sense against Vader and it doesn’t make sense now!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i am trying to watch rebels since ppl itt are talking about it a lot and it is dire. punishing. almost unbearable. unsure if i can endure this

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Smythe posted:

i am trying to watch rebels since ppl itt are talking about it a lot and it is dire. punishing. almost unbearable. unsure if i can endure this

Season 1 is rough. It was easier to watch when it aired, because it had been so long since we had even heard the sound of a TIE Fighter at that point, so it felt refreshing, but yeah, season 1 is hard. It gets a lot better in season 2 when Darth Vader shows up.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Smythe posted:

Yeah, both rebels and clone wars really struggled to find their feet, which is why I was surprised The Mandalorian was good off the bat.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Smythe posted:

Season 1 is just eh (and is only slightly above the level of what Resistance always is). Its basically Space Aladdin and friends. By Season 3, its really good, you just have to get past the establishment and get to where the connective tissue really starts coming together.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Yeah, both rebels and clone wars really struggled to find their feet, which is why I was surprised The Mandalorian was good off the bat.

Both cartoons seemed like they started out with a much younger target audience and changed gears when they got their ratings demographic feedback.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sekhmnet posted:

Both cartoons seemed like they started out with a much younger target audience and changed gears when they got their ratings demographic feedback.

Clone Wars starting with that dumb movie following a stupid padawan no one wanted or cared for instead of being a Anakin and Obi Wan war show.

And here we are now still following that drat padawan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Clone Wars starting with that dumb movie following a stupid padawan no one wanted or cared for instead of being a Anakin and Obi Wan war show.

And here we are now still following that drat padawan.

Is there a decent Clone Wars episode watch/skip list anywhere?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sekhmnet posted:

Yeah they're clearly children's shows and there's some really cautious dipping their toes into 'how complex can we make our stories' and 'how much can we make death a thing'.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I’ve seen a few thrown around here and there. The clone wars thread is still around I think you may want to check there.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I’d say Rebels starts picking up in season 1 when Tarkin shows up and has the comic relief villains executed on screen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Spacebump posted:

This one is popular, plus all of season 7 which was released long after this list was made

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I love Ahsoka, but the Martez sister arc in S7 is 100% skippable imo. If you like the clones, Bad Batch arc is a bit of fun. Otherwise, The Siege of Mandalore arc is all you need from the final season of Clone Wars imo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

teagone posted:

I love Ahsoka, but the Martez sister arc in S7 is 100% skippable imo. If you like the clones, Bad Batch arc is a bit of fun. Otherwise, The Siege of Mandalore arc is all you need from the final season of Clone Wars imo.

I forgot that arc was in it, I only remembered the Bad Batch and the Siege of Mandalore

Also if I had any talent with photoshop I'd be putting a 'Duel over the unquiet pond' Ghost of Tsushima overlay on the start of the Ahsoka fight scene now

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 29, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

teagone posted:

It's kind of a shame that sublevel 1313 on Coruscant only gets used for lame episodes of Clone Wars like the Martez sisters or The Wrong Jedi. I have issues with that episode that I laid out earlier.

A fun Ahsoka episode is Lightsaber Lost which is a really cool look at Coruscant and has some neat background stuff like how Palpatine is sewing distrust in the Jedi using public service broadcasts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Not an empty quote.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Its Coke posted:

they need to just accept Mando is the last decent Star Wars for at least a decade. stop trying to do spinoffs to soak in some of its reflected light. you're making the moon, not the sun. it can't grow your crops

Obligatory "that's no moon" comment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That poo poo made no sense against Vader and it doesn’t make sense now!

The episode’s basically a Japanese historical action drama. It’s the shot of her dramatically unsheathing her katana.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I have to confess, I never much cared for Ahsoka. I got through the first four seasons of Clone Wars and found her to be the worst. I watched three seasons of Rebels and she was a lot more tolerable. It's been yeras now and after watching her in Mandalorian I thought maybe I was too harsh. I am rewatching the Clone Wars (skipping the movie) and holy poo poo no she is really the worst I can't imagine suffering through multiple seasons of this poo poo to get to where she ends up it's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's kind of a shame that sublevel 1313 on Coruscant only gets used for lame episodes of Clone Wars like the Martez sisters or The Wrong Jedi. I have issues with that episode that I laid out earlier.

A fun Ahsoka episode is Lightsaber Lost which is a really cool look at Coruscant and has some neat background stuff like how Palpatine is sewing distrust in the Jedi using public service broadcasts.

What does he say in the broadcasts?