Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That scene got me through a lot of poo poo in the past five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a really good scene in a really good episode, just a great use of Moffat's "repeat something and have it pick up new meaning each time it's said" thing. And Capaldi was a good Doctor to deliver the line.

Now we reach my favorite part of the DW Secret Santa: buying the presents! :D

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

All Secret Santa info has now gone out, so if you haven't received it, or you have any issues, let me know either via PMs or over email on doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail.com :ohdear:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Watching Rent made me realise something:

If you ask me, "MacShane" is as canonical as the "look at how straight Ace is" sex scenes in the VNAs. :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1333129854208892931?s=20

They brought back Chris Noth's character from Arachnids in the UK

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 29, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blah, New Year’s Day again. :smith:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1333129854208892931?s=20

They brought back Chris Noth's character from Arachnids in the UK

We'll see if this ep can retroactively redeem the decision in Arachnids to have him walk away unimpeded.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Narsham posted:

We'll see if this ep can retroactively redeem the decision in Arachnids to have him walk away unimpeded.

I mean, he didn't become president, at least.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Narsham posted:

If she’s in the drat prison the entire episode I swear to God...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

LionArcher posted:

If she’s in the drat prison the entire episode I swear to God...

Haha, I had that thought too. Jokes on you, this is a companion-heavy/doctor lite episode (hence bringing Barrowman back to satiate the anger).

...Honestly I'd be OK with Jack leading things off. I love her Doctor but the episode story worries me. Where the hell is Torchwood and UNIT when this new product/weapon showed up in the press? Does no one go "Hey that kind of looks like these alien pepper shakers that have attacked us repeatedly" and shut it down?

Yeah I know - haven't seen the episode to see how they play that, and also it's Doctor Who so not a surprise if they ignore those two organizations and prior invasions entirely with no explanation, but still.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I get the cultural cache represented by the show having the Christmas slot or whatever, but as an Australian viewer the specials were, like, "The Christmas Invasion tacked onto the start of series 2 when that started in July 2006" for the first couple of years and then a month or two after the UK airing on a nondescript January day before finally settling onto Boxing Day broadcasts in the Smith years so the whole "New Years Special instead of Christmas special" has always been kinda :shrug: to me

Except that it means I have to wait an extra week to watch it :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

McGann posted:

Haha, I had that thought too. Jokes on you, this is a companion-heavy/doctor lite episode (hence bringing Barrowman back to satiate the anger).

...Honestly I'd be OK with Jack leading things off. I love her Doctor but the episode story worries me. Where the hell is Torchwood and UNIT when this new product/weapon showed up in the press? Does no one go "Hey that kind of looks like these alien pepper shakers that have attacked us repeatedly" and shut it down?

Yeah I know - haven't seen the episode to see how they play that, and also it's Doctor Who so not a surprise if they ignore those two organizations and prior invasions entirely with no explanation, but still.

Well, the last New Years special confirmed that Brexit hosed the UK branch of UNIT, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out the US also pulled out in that time, so that's them kinda handled. Torchwood I assume we'll get an actual mention of given the presence of Captain Jack.

I'm not always a fan of timely real-world references in Doctor Who, they usually feel very weird, but Brexit cutting off UNIT just makes too much sense, especially since I've honestly not been a huge fan of how they've been handled in the new series.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Well, the last New Years special confirmed that Brexit hosed the UK branch of UNIT, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out the US also pulled out in that time, so that's them kinda handled. Torchwood I assume we'll get an actual mention of given the presence of Captain Jack.

I'm not always a fan of timely real-world references in Doctor Who, they usually feel very weird, but Brexit cutting off UNIT just makes too much sense, especially since I've honestly not been a huge fan of how they've been handled in the new series.

Didn't the actual UN also raise a fuss when RTD brought the show back? Something about not wanting "United Nations" in the acronym any more or some such thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Didn't the actual UN also raise a fuss when RTD brought the show back? Something about not wanting "United Nations" in the acronym any more or some such thing.

Yeah, that's why it became the "unified intelligence taskforce" instead

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's also funny because the Kate Stewart stuff was supposed to be near future when they did it, leading to yet another UNIT dating controversy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, it’s the same plot as Victory of the Daleks...?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Except this time, Jack’s the robot.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Recycling plots is a proud Dalek tradition

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Torchwood was almost completely wiped out in their last television appearance, and it's not like they're faring any better in the BF stories. They're probably not an issue.

The_Doctor posted:

Which just ripped off Power of the Daleks, if you think about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Chris Chibnall rips off his mask to reveal he was Terry Nation this whole time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

What he'd rather be selling poo poo to America and writing a different show that he'd then ignore also?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

What he'd rather be selling poo poo to America and writing a different show that he'd then ignore also?

:hmmyes:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

In a shocking twist, Revolution of the Daleks will reveal that the Daleks are actually biological creatures instead of the perfectly logical war robots we all have definitely always thought them to be!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Last week's random story was The Wheel in Space, which suffers a lot (A LOT) from being a recon, doubly so given that the first episode is almost entirely non-verbal. The second episode is also an "actor on holiday" episode (in this case Troughton), and it's remarkable how much more fun the story is from the instant the Doctor wakes up from his nap in episode 3.

It's also by far the horniest pre-revival story of the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Last week's random story was The Wheel in Space, which suffers a lot (A LOT) from being a recon, doubly so given that the first episode is almost entirely non-verbal. The second episode is also an "actor on holiday" episode (in this case Troughton), and it's remarkable how much more fun the story is from the instant the Doctor wakes up from his nap in episode 3.

That's quite the feat, given the numerous times Zoe's seen in a miniskirt after that episode (to say nothing of that bit from The Mind Robber; you all know which one), or indeed the debut of Peri almost 20 years later

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's quite the feat, given the numerous times Zoe's seen in a miniskirt after that episode (to say nothing of that bit from The Mind Robber; you all know which one), or indeed the debut of Peri almost 20 years later

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I refuse to be judged for appreciating this.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know how I missed that :v:

I remember what Fraser Hines said about that scene, something to the effect of "We could've been doing Shakespeare right at that very moment, and not a single person would've paid us any notice whatsoever."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ah, yes, The Mind Robber dot gif, Doctor Who's horniest picture, at least until HBO gets ahold of it and adds The HBO Nude Scene to it somewhere.

I do wish we had the original Wheel in Space, I think it would be an actually decent serial. The recon can definitely put you to sleep sometimes, but it's actually one of the few okay Cyberman stories, considering that all the post-Troughton ones in the classic era are pretty terrible.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Isn't UNIT being defunded in 2020 a background plot point in Stranded too, from what I've read?

I hope that there's a scene where someone goes "those are Daleks mate" straight away. Though Chris Noth is always fun to watch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1333561699924897792?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Isn't UNIT being defunded in 2020 a background plot point in Stranded too, from what I've read?

Yeah, but Torchwood's very active in the set.

I'm wondering if they're gonna accommodate for Covid, given that Stranded's gimmick was dealing with 2020 specifically.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's quite the feat

I put it to you that there is a difference between the director being horny (The Mind Robber, Planet of Fire) and the characters in the story being horny (The Wheel in Space, The Romans)

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The Wheel In Space is also essentially a retread of The Moonbase, which was a retread of The Tenth Planet. Plus it's yet another base under siege at the end of a season that's 90% base under sieges. It feels very average and formulaic if you're watching in order. I'd consider it one of Troughton's weaker stories, but that's more because he honestly doesn't have very many truly terrible ones. I do like Zoe though and prefer her as an individual character over Victoria, although Two/Jamie/Victoria is probably the better overall dynamic.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Torchwood was almost completely wiped out in their last television appearance, and it's not like they're faring any better in the BF stories. They're probably not an issue.
Maybe it'll be a plot by the Three Families and Jack's CIA buddy Rex Matheson will show up too :v:
(I just finished Miracle Day and if I've suffered then you all can too)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I put it to you that there is a difference between the director being horny (The Mind Robber, Planet of Fire) and the characters in the story being horny (The Wheel in Space, The Romans)

Nero doing the horny comedy chase is definitely one of the weirder decisions from that season, and it's the same season that involves all of the decisions they made for The Web Planet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

He's in a Dalek episode

He's doomed

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Fair point, it's been a while since I'd watched a recon of TWiS, so I'd forgotten about the characters being so horny. That's the one where Jamie tells Zoe he ought to put her over his knee and spank her, to which she replies "You ARE going to be fun", IIRC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/SimonRayner1/status/1333810287431053312?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or the trees in the story being horny (The Mark of the Rani)