Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I mean didn’t the rules for sanctioning the fight stipulate no cuts and blood I feel mike could have KOed him and also they just let Jones clinch so he wouldn’t accidentally get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KevOnStage/status/1332915669281636354

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Tyson clinched plenty as well

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hollandia posted:

Everybody's got a five-year plan until they get hit.

gently caress

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

what's conor mcgregor up to these days??

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I don't know if Jake Paul is ready for Tyson or McGregor yet, he should knock out a few of the posters on this website first

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

he's meant to do a mma fight against dustin porier next month or the one after and then box pacquiao at some point next year iirc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zongerian posted:

I don't know if Jake Paul is ready for Tyson or McGregor yet, he should knock out a few of the posters on this website first

I want to see Lowtax get beat up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I paid 50 dollars to see two 60 year old men fight and is co-mained by a YouTuber and I am extremely upset that this is exactly what I got.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Marching Powder posted:

I paid 50 dollars to see two 60 year old men fight and is co-mained by a YouTuber and I am extremely upset that this is exactly what I got.

I hope Nate got paid because gently caress to go embarrass yourself and get some CTE seems like a really bad life decision

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
If the bad YouTube man had lost I wouldn't be being weird about this but here we are.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Jake Paul beating KSI's younger brother in an amateur fight and then that FIFA youtuber you kept crouching was light years more than Nate Robinson had ever done in boxing (nothing) that I find I hard to believe anyone would pick Nate over Jake other than distaste of the Paul brothers and "influencer" culture in general

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Rape.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Spence Garcia next Saturday 👍

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Deontay Wilder vs. Jake Paul would be fun.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Deontay Wilder vs. Jake Paul would be fun.

Instead of rappers Tyson Fury just sings whatever

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

we now know that american steroids are better than russian steroids cause mike was not gassed at all!

seriously though mike's weaving and slipping was on point. like there are young fighters today that could not do what he was doing.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

*checks his wikipedia / primary sources*

Oh, look at that...quelle suprise.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

do billy joe saunders -2000 vs. martin murray, anthony yarde -800 vs. lyndon arthur, and anthony joshua -940 vs.kubrat pulev seem as safe favorites as those lines would indicate?

sports gambling is now legal and regulated where i live except for us elections. put $150 in an offshore book when the lines went crazy election night after absurdly early returns and i realized biden was still probably going to win. they've honored the bet but my dumb rear end didn't realize about the 10x rollover due to the bonus i received. i obv realize nothing's guaranteed but i just want to make the four safest bets possible and not worry about growing what i won so i can cash out. my boxing knowledge is at the level where joshua is the only one of these guys i've ever even heard of much less seen fight, but since they don't offer money line betting on college sports cupcake games i can't think of a better way to do this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yomofo717 posted:

A draw? So Vegas wins?

Vegas actually didn't book this one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The SituAsian posted:

Jake Paul beating KSI's younger brother in an amateur fight and then that FIFA youtuber you kept crouching was light years more than Nate Robinson had ever done in boxing (nothing) that I find I hard to believe anyone would pick Nate over Jake other than distaste of the Paul brothers and "influencer" culture in general

i know nothing of nate but while jake sucks I do wish nate and KSI switched places. Guy needs his rear end beat

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What was that bump in the middle of Mike’s back?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Thauros posted:

do billy joe saunders -2000 vs. martin murray, anthony yarde -800 vs. lyndon arthur, and anthony joshua -940 vs.kubrat pulev seem as safe favorites as those lines would indicate?

Idk about the others but I would never bet on Anthony Joshua. Pulev isn't great but he's a solid boxer and could win.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thauros posted:

They all seem to be pretty safely in the can crushing zone.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to see Lowtax get beat up.

Here you go:
https://youtu.be/B3M_wGfYewo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked the ref admonishing Jones for holding and Jones saying something like "drat right I'm holding him"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It’s funny how this video has gone from Uwe being a dick to Uwe being a cool dude beating up a dick.

Now honestly I always liked Uwe for basically making the producers a real thing.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1332889563019153408

someone please tell me nate rob got paid more than this to get brain damaged and memed on for the rest of his existence

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
As someone who grew up watching Roy Jones Jr fight in the 1990s and literally be the most physically impressive and dominant boxer of all time, it is shocking and tragic to watch him in his current incarnation. It looks like I could beat him up at this point. He moves like Ryan Shazier now and was literally gassed after the first (2 minute) round. Tyson was clearly pulling his punches/wasn't head hunting, and could absolutely have knocked Roy out cold at basically any point in the fight. I never want to see Roy in the ring again. He looks like he would struggle with Nate Robinson at this point. Just straight humiliating.

As for Mike, obviously he didn't have any real opposition in front of him, but he only looks about a step removed from what he looked like 15 years ago. He looks great for 54 years old, and I would definitely check out future exhibitions with him. Maybe they could get Evander Holyfield in there next.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Conor seems many times more likely to give Paul serious head trauma than anyone he's faced so far so I am 100% down for that

the great thing about two complete assholes fighting each other is that every possible outcome is a good one

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

double negative posted:

someone please tell me nate rob got paid more than this to get brain damaged and memed on for the rest of his existence

they likely negotiated points on the buyrate rather than a large purse, likely stand to make 7 figures or near it each

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

double negative posted:

$600,000.

https://twitter.com/whatchunoahbout/status/1332920195451559937/photo/1

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i can't tell where that pic is pulled from, but cbs sports reports $600 too, though with kickers

quote:

The co-main event of Jake Paul and Nate Robinson, however, will only make $600 each for their efforts. They will make much more in PPV shares and endorsements, but each man is only guaranteed to make $100 per round to step in the ring on Saturday night.

just a tragic decision by nate either way, with the added bonus of knicks fans catching strays because of his footwear

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

double negative posted:

i can't tell where that pic is pulled from, but cbs sports reports $600 too, though with kickers

just a tragic decision by nate either way, with the added bonus of knicks fans catching strays because of his footwear

knicks fans were always going to catch strays, naterob is just icing on the cake

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

double negative posted:

Yup, CBS is just citing Marc Raimondi there, who clarifies it is $600 due to the California commission state minimum of $100 per round.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

As someone who grew up watching Roy Jones Jr fight in the 1990s and literally be the most physically impressive and dominant boxer of all time,

Odd because I feel the same way about Mike and think Tyson was the most dominant fighter I've ever seen. At least for a bit.

I've never seen opponents beaten before the opening bell before and haven't since.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Tyson from '86 to '88 was amazing. The speed, head movement, and explosive punches were just ridiculous.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LLCoolJD posted:

Tyson from '86 to '88 was amazing. The speed, head movement, and explosive punches were just ridiculous.

Agreed.

And later on around the Douglas fight he lost all that. He used to throw amazing, fast combinations with each punch setting up the next with incredible speed and devastating power. He was also a deceptively good defensive fighter. Like you mentioned, he never stopped moving his head and was really hard to hit, adding really good foot work into the mix as well as working angles and leverage. He was a real student of the sport under Cus D'Amato and Teddy Atlas. The trouble started (and you can see it in the films of his fights over time) when he began to load up and tried to one shot everybody and stopped actually boxing but for a moment he was almost an artist in the ring.

An incredibly dangerous, powerful and terrifying artist.

For a good while he was the single most dominant fighter I've ever seen in my life and I might even argue one of the most dominant athletes period. I put him in there with Lawrence Taylor, Shaq, Jordan and Bo Jackson in terms of being just freakishly on a different level.

I don't think Roy Jones was anywhere close to being that frighteningly good. And Roy was damned good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

roy jones jr was one of the most freakishly talented boxers to ever lace them up