Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Any productivity nerds here? I keep wishing Taskpaper had a better app on iOS. I’d kill for a natural-feeling taskpaper app. Closest I got right now is Drafts for their taskpaper mode.

And now I keep jumping back and forth between Things and Omnifocus. How’s Todoist doing lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Somewhat depends on your needs. I was really into TickTick before moving over to all MS for better work syncing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is this an ok place to ask for some troubleshooting advice with the outlook iOS app?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:justpost:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Well ok

So I am trying to use the Microsoft Outlook app for email I have set up through namecheap.

My issue is that outlook will not notify me of new emails, or display badges on the icon.

I can’t find anything in the outlook app itself that explains this. Also digging through iOS settings shows nothing amiss.

I have deleted and reinstalled the app. I disabled all notifications and background app refresh, shut down my phone, turned it back on, and enabled everything with no improvement.

I have a different iPhone from my employer and outlook works as expected on that... this iPhone has no connection to my employer or anything else... I just say that cause obviously the app works, but just not on this phone.

iOS 14.2.1, but I had this same issue on my previous iPhone which I just got rid of.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Also, I’m not committed to outlook for this, i think almost any mail app would work, but the outlook app does spam filtering and I dunno if the native mail app does that, I dunno, open to suggestions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Outlooks notification badges sucks poo poo, it must be a lotto as some people claim it works perfectly them, but it’s a fairly regular issue that comes up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just made it a habit to check my emails every hour or so on my own. The notifications rarely if ever work.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

virinvictus posted:

Any productivity nerds here? I keep wishing Taskpaper had a better app on iOS. I’d kill for a natural-feeling taskpaper app. Closest I got right now is Drafts for their taskpaper mode.

And now I keep jumping back and forth between Things and Omnifocus. How’s Todoist doing lately?

I’m not that into these types of apps, but it feels like maybe DevonTHINK could be a suitable replacement...?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i always find myself going back to omnifocus

todoist almost got me when they added kanban boards then i realized i only use them for work and i can use ms planner and keep running my life out of omnifocus

i wish there were more (any) other productivity apps that had tags and defer until because i don’t like the ui, lack of multiplatform, and slow updates on omnifocus

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mad Wack posted:

i always find myself going back to omnifocus

todoist almost got me when they added kanban boards then i realized i only use them for work and i can use ms planner and keep running my life out of omnifocus

i wish there were more (any) other productivity apps that had tags and defer until because i don’t like the ui, lack of multiplatform, and slow updates on omnifocus

:same:

Why is it so difficult to implement tags in a task manager? Is it that much to ask?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Oh cool, Outlook now has ads.

Any alternative apps out there?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You got any sources or examples because there no ads in my Outlook app

And if you’re asking if there are any email clients on the App Store then yea there are several hundred.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

Oh cool, Outlook now has ads.

Any alternative apps out there?

I’ve used Outlook for a while on iOS and have never seen an ad on it.

Edit: Just decided to look into this and I guess this is a thing rolling out to people little by little?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Outlook/comments/jy82es/ads_in_inbox_outlook_4630_on_ios/

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 30, 2020

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

FCKGW posted:

You got any sources or examples because there no ads in my Outlook app

And if you’re asking if there are any email clients on the App Store then yea there are several hundred.

Source: Me

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
extremely pissed that the nickname given to me by all the girls i've dated has been co-opted by that product

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Better get a Cuddl Dud to keep yourself warm when you go up to Boreal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I’ve used Outlook for a while on iOS and have never seen an ad on it.

Edit: Just decided to look into this and I guess this is a thing rolling out to people little by little?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Outlook/comments/jy82es/ads_in_inbox_outlook_4630_on_ios/

Yeah I had to google it and there's been bits and pieces about it for like a year but nothing like a "it's been pushed to everyone" yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is that just for free accounts or gmail accounts etc? If it shows up on my work one I will be surprised.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just stop loving using outlook. every post about outlook itt is about how it sucks or doesn't work right. plug your exchange account into mail.app and forget about it

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Weedle posted:

just stop loving using outlook. every post about outlook itt is about how it sucks or doesn't work right. plug your exchange account into mail.app and forget about it

I use Outlook because plugging in your Exchange account gives your employer the ability to remote-wipe your phone. Which, by the way, really ought to be a warning when you add the account to the system.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for a "categorized lists of things you might want to buy" app? Right now I have folders in Dropbox where I drag links for Kitchen, Living Room, Wife, Son, etc. But I'd probably keep better tabs on things if there was an app for it that made it all pretty. I'd rather not use a particular stores functions (like Amazon's lists) because sometimes my wife has something from like Target specifically. There's a poo poo ton of grocery apps, but I'm hoping for something a little more generic. It'd be nice if it pulled in attractive metadata like a photo, description, price, etc. and also had a web and/or Mac app to sync with.

Edit: I'm trying Giftful.com and just set it in private mode, but it only has a Chrome extension for adding to lists and I use Safari.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

The people happy with outlook can also be a silent majority, as tends to happen with phone issues. I have it for work and can't say I have any issues, I also really like the interface for scheduling a meeting time fwiw.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 30, 2020

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ya the outlook app is good - haven't seen ads yet, would be shocked if they rolled it out to our corp o365 instance, though i would argue some of the "insight" stuff is just overglorified ads masquerading as productivity stats

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I know some of the folks running the show at Microsoft aren't terribly smart but putting ads in your email client seems like an obviously terrible move. What were they thinking

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They put ads into the most used OS in the world. Most of it is for their own products, but they're still ads. Why wouldn't they add ads to their email client?

Have fun scrolling through the list of bullshit you have to toggle off to stop getting ads in W10:

https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

My work only supports Outlook. Plus the stock app is such garbage.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My work uses a 2FA login page that only works in Outlook.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My work only supports Outlook. Plus the stock app is such garbage.

Same here, also will never use the same app as my personal. Never know when you're going to make a mistake and send something from the wrong address.

I like separation of church and state.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What password manager and 2f authentication app should I use on iOS?I just switched from android and want to switch from using lastpass and authy as I've been meaning to do for a while.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

1password

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Femur posted:

What password manager and 2f authentication app should I use on iOS?I just switched from android and want to switch from using lastpass and authy as I've been meaning to do for a while.

1Password does all of this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a family subscription for 1Password and it’s totally worth it. Great software!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

1password is awesome. I haven't moved into the Family subscription, just share the same login with my wife and we both maintain it. My kids are getting older and getting passwords, so I maybe should look at this.

Is there a 'master' account that can see it all?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

1password is awesome. I haven't moved into the Family subscription, just share the same login with my wife and we both maintain it. My kids are getting older and getting passwords, so I maybe should look at this.

Is there a 'master' account that can see it all?

I don’t know if you can see into other vaults but you can restore access for people who lost the password I believe. So you can but there are steps involved.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I've been using Lastpass on iOS and macOS for years. What is so compelling about 1Password that would warrant a switch?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CygnusTM posted:

I've been using Lastpass on iOS and macOS for years. What is so compelling about 1Password that would warrant a switch?

The big thing was 1Password doing OTP stuff in the app. I think Lastpass separates that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also Lastpass has had security vulnerabilities and concerns going back.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I use Firefox Lockwise and like it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Any recommended apps for manga reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any recommended apps for manga reading?

Panels for your local/importing from a cloud service stuff.

Paperback for streaming it from certain dubious websites.