Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Guest2553 posted:

Is there a reason that SP arty is cheaper than field artillery point-wise for the same effect in Flames of War? Beyond 'Battlefront going gently caress you, buy more stuff', that is. I like PSC models but SP guns are one of the things they just don't have.

In theory because SP artillery is vulnerable to more things, since it can be hosed down with .50 cals or 20mm guns, whereas in this situation a dug-in gun is very hard to shift. The issue is that in practice, gun teams tend to be removed with counterbattery fire, where rerolling saves on a 4+ base just means you get slaughtered. There's a fair few things where you just wonder if BF play their own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

spectralent posted:

In theory because SP artillery is vulnerable to more things, since it can be hosed down with .50 cals or 20mm guns, whereas in this situation a dug-in gun is very hard to shift. The issue is that in practice, gun teams tend to be removed with counterbattery fire, where rerolling saves on a 4+ base just means you get slaughtered. There's a fair few things where you just wonder if BF play their own game.

That makes sense. I prefer gun models so it gets my goat that I could (for example) save 8 points by swapping 10.5 howitzers and 7.5 infantry guns Nebelwerfers and Wespes for the low low cost of $10 per point.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Guest2553 posted:

That makes sense. I prefer gun models so it gets my goat that I could (for example) save 8 points by swapping 10.5 howitzers and 7.5 infantry guns Nebelwerfers and Wespes for the low low cost of $10 per point.

I'm pretty sure they'll do Plastic Wespes and maybe even Hummels for the Germans at some point, given that those things are ubiquitous in Panzer Divisions, and they're talking about doing loving plastic WW2 Challengers at some point (ya know, a tank that the British only built like 200 of) and they're talking about Wibrelwinds coming out with the Bagration German book.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Challenger is weird since it's the kind of thing that if you want it, you likely want exactly one or you want enough to kit out a company.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

A box of four, at least, gives you enough to give every cromwell troop one, which is about right.

Honestly I'm just wondering if they'll even be that desired this edition; their perk last edition was their inexplicable rate of fire of 3 when halted, which probably isn't happening this time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Worth noting that Wespes are an outlier not the norm.

SU-76s are 2.5p, 76mm arty are 2p. M7 Priests are 2.75p, 105mm arty are 2.5p, to name a couple.

Why Wespes are an exception is a mystery.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Geisladisk posted:

SU-76s are 2.5p, 76mm arty are 2p. M7 Priests are 2.75p, 105mm arty are 2.5p, to name a couple.

Why Wespes are an exception is a mystery.

25pdrs and Sextons (A command card unit) cost the exact same - 3.5p per unit. Likely a survivability vs mobility thing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Germany's always paid through the nose for gun artillery, for some reason. I remember in V3 nobody ever took the 10.5cm guns if they could take wespes or nebs instead; this time nebs are just also expensive so everyone takes SPGs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Never knew that, guess it's just One Of Those Things for now. I still like how field guns look on the table :shrug:

In kickstarter news, I came across a Black Panther inspired campaign ruleset. It led me down the rabbithole of segregated units, and long story short I'm going to repaint as much of my US forces to match historical organizations.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 26, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Well here I am again back thinking about miniature wargaming. I recently sold all my stuff (or nearly so) since it had just been collecting dust for the past few years and I finally admitted to myself that I really hate painting miniatures. I love thinking about new armies, organizing them and fighting battles tho, and those hypotheticals keep drawing me back. Recently while cleaning my basement I stumbled on some 15mm crusaders I was in the middle of painting and my daughter, who is now 5 and loves artsy stuff, expressed a desire to paint them with me. She also loves board games so I figure trying out wargames with her could be fun. My biggest obstacle: sunk time and cost on an activity I don't really like!

Here's my idea - 3D printed 6/10mm figs and getting someone else to paint them (paid, of course). I'm not too concerned with a pro paint job since they're really for gaming, and I'd keep a bunch to slowly paint over time with my daughter to have some homemade units she painted herself. Probably start with DBA or Impetus Basic and play fast and loose with the rules. I have access to a solid SLA printer and found some really solid looking models online, printing some samples now to see how they turn out.

Wondering if anyone else has any experience (or pictures) of 3D printed armies?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Well here I am again back thinking about miniature wargaming. I recently sold all my stuff (or nearly so) since it had just been collecting dust for the past few years and I finally admitted to myself that I really hate painting miniatures. I love thinking about new armies, organizing them and fighting battles tho, and those hypotheticals keep drawing me back. Recently while cleaning my basement I stumbled on some 15mm crusaders I was in the middle of painting and my daughter, who is now 5 and loves artsy stuff, expressed a desire to paint them with me. She also loves board games so I figure trying out wargames with her could be fun. My biggest obstacle: sunk time and cost on an activity I don't really like!

Here's my idea - 3D printed 6/10mm figs and getting someone else to paint them (paid, of course). I'm not too concerned with a pro paint job since they're really for gaming, and I'd keep a bunch to slowly paint over time with my daughter to have some homemade units she painted herself. Probably start with DBA or Impetus Basic and play fast and loose with the rules. I have access to a solid SLA printer and found some really solid looking models online, printing some samples now to see how they turn out.

Have you considered using something like these fancy new paper soldiers?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

Have you considered using something like these fancy new paper soldiers?

Those are cool (and I toyed with paper figs in the past when prototyping a new system/period), but one of the main reasons I'm considering this is so I can paint (some) little dolls with my daughter. If quotes for painting commissions come back to be ludicrously expensive I may consider something like that, but atm 3D printed figs are like 10-20x cheaper than cast ones, at the scale I'm considering.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Those are cool (and I toyed with paper figs in the past when prototyping a new system/period), but one of the main reasons I'm considering this is so I can paint (some) little dolls with my daughter. If quotes for painting commissions come back to be ludicrously expensive I may consider something like that, but atm 3D printed figs are like 10-20x cheaper than cast ones, at the scale I'm considering.

I was more considering the time you'd save. From what I understand 3D printing requires a lot of tinkering and trial-and-error.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Consider Hordes of the Things so. It's DBA, but with custom fantasy armies. Your daughter can get started on whatever you have handy and then you can do armies of whatever it is that five year old girls are into these days.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HoTT is a good little game; you can put together armies if pretty much 12 each of whatever you have and mash them into each other.

And speaking of FoW, https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ is having a sale. Don't say I never cost you money you weren't planning to spend !

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF PRINTING YOURSELF SOME PROBLEMS

With SLA, it bigger pieces like tanks that are troublesome, but people are printing Warmaster armies as we speak and I've basically corner-drag downscaled 15mm minis to print at 10mm, so the world is your oyster.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Following up, I printed some samples for painting, using this guys sample stuff. He has this collection that looks well worth the money, especially if I'm gonna be going for 1000 figs or so.

Bad pics of the attempt here, I have both 10 mm and 6 mm, and I also tried a panther tank I found somewhere in 6 and 10 as well. The 10 mm tank looks really awesome, even the muzzle brake is modeled and crisp. At 6 I think I'd just model it as one piece, and the cannon is quite fragile.

The 6 mm figures again had issues, but the 10s were exceptional as well. Unfortunately since I used translucent resin the detail is a little lost but it's pretty good for 10, let alone 6. The model maker has pics of his stuff painted and based and it looks pretty great, I'd be happy to achieve what he has.

I could probably do better on the 6s by fiddling with the print layer and speed settings, or maybe using a harder resin. The modeler again got good results on his 6s, so I know its possible. But I like the look and size of the 10s and will probably going in this direction. The panthers have me thinking about micro armour again too.

All in all pretty impressed with the prints. Material cost was maybe 20c for all these, and the tank was a bunch of that. It definitely wipes away the "cost" thought of starting a new project like this. Including the cost of the STLs I could probably produce 1000+ figs for around $60 (comparing to Baccus with shipping, probably like $200-$250). And of course the more models I print, the cheaper the per unit costs since I already have the STLs, and theres the terrain pieces too. I'll keep posting if I go anywhere on this project.

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 29, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you go with 6mm then just snip the barrels off (or mod the STL not to print anything but a nub) and replace them with a bit of shirt pin. Nobody will be able to tell at that scale.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is there a guide I can read on what where and how much a 3D printer and files cost for napoleonic war games and terrain? 18 and 28mm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Spent the weekend painting up some mounted horse line artillery. I plan to put two stationary artillerymen/officers on the actual artillery bases, and then the two in canter (?) as a separate command base.

The set is from Foundry, with two stationary horses from Eagle Figures swapped in. Only the commander's horse and some fine details on a handful of dismounted artillerymen left.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 30, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Comstar posted:

Is there a guide I can read on what where and how much a 3D printer and files cost for napoleonic war games and terrain? 18 and 28mm.

I can't say much about files - you can always check for free ones on Thingiverse as well as :filez: - bit I bought the Photon when it was on sale for <$300 January, and it works? Sure, my first print had to be the funnel for vapors and I had to get a back panel printed for the funnel (the default Photon setup has an extremely inadequate filter and dumps vapor into the compartment with all the electronics), but after that, the expenses have been negligible.

Don't be spooked by the part where you have to take the machine apart to install the funnel or whatever - I did, and I'm not tech person, nor am I dexterous, careful, or exacting. It's entirely possible to do for a regular human bean.

Ofc, other printers exist, and maybe Elegoo or something is cheaper/better about resins, but other than that, it's all good.

28mm prints well for Space Marines, but the issue with Nappies might be all the small bumps and groves from all the decorations the troops have. Or maybe not - I haven't printed in months due to not wanting to increase my backlog.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

JcDent posted:

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF PRINTING YOURSELF SOME PROBLEMS

With SLA, it bigger pieces like tanks that are troublesome, but people are printing Warmaster armies as we speak and I've basically corner-drag downscaled 15mm minis to print at 10mm, so the world is your oyster.

This reminds me that I have some minis from the March to Hell WW2 kickstarter that I need to get around to printing and adding to my pile of shame painting before long here.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hi5, irresponsible Kickstarter buddy!
15mm or 28mm?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

JcDent posted:

Hi5, irresponsible Kickstarter buddy!
15mm or 28mm?

Yes :v:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Speaking of 3D printing, I got one and printed myself a nice little 40mm Bofors AA gun. Now I need a crew. Does anyone know of any seated British or Soviet crew in 28mm I could get to put on here?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
After taking a slight deviation into Star Wars Legion hobby progress I randomly decided to paint up some more vehicles for my Germans last night and this morning.

Panzer IV Ausf J with no Schürzen because it kept breaking so I just took it off.

And 3 Hanomags with a pea dot inspired camo scheme.

Going to work on all the details & they'll be ready for battle!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This reminds me that I have some minis from the March to Hell WW2 kickstarter that I need to get around to printing and adding to my pile of shame painting before long here.

Matilda II, Somua S35, and M11/39 from that kickstarter just printed on my new CR-6SE FDM printer, and then quickly primed because white filament takes awful photos

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

And 3 Hanomags with a pea dot inspired camo scheme.
I'm tempted to steal those and repaint the white camo spots as bird poo poo.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lmao, a truly realist approach toward mini painting.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I would like to see your italian war hobbits.

You brought this madness upon yourselves.

Across the County of Shirona, brave hobbits are talking about the need to raise their clan militias in defiance of Louis XII’s incursion upon their lands. Boxes of contraband and weapons, marked with cryptic codes like”Wargames Atlantic” and ”Perry Miniatures” as smuggled through the night. Will they assemble in time to be a potent threat to the French imperial ambitions?

First four test tonight as my hobbits arrived. Proof of concept turning out pretty alright! I even tried a green stuff cuirass which worked out pretty ok. Headswaps again saving a decent but not stellar kit. Planning for these to be a combination of light and medium armed militia, might add a few of those weirdly shaped Italian renaissance shields.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
oh my god those are perfect.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

oh my god those are perfect.

Thanks, I was worried about head sizes but I think the perry heads are spot on. Now I just need to expand my italo-hobbit lore and find tons of good pics of Italian renaissance troops.

Westphalia Miniatures have landsknekt halflings.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

More plastic options for Italian hobbits than ww2 Italians, lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I saw some undead halflings a while back too, if you want to get really weird.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Class Warcraft posted:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

I’m not kidding that I’m blown away by hobbit cavalry options. I think I’ve found 15 or so? Do you want your emu riders armoured or unarmoured? Do you want your barded dogs or giant roosters led by a hobbit mounted on a ram or a feathered velociraptor? Tt combat, which makes the afforementioned undead hobbits, have a set of amazonian halfling walruss riders.

It’s like if hobbit cavalry is the fantasy equivalent of mid-war german panzer forces, just cram everything you get your grubby hands on in there.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

And god help you trying to figure out the right shade of fieldgravy to paint their uniforms

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

And god help you trying to figure out the right shade of fieldgravy to paint their uniforms

It's going to be fun trying to make an Italian version of hobbitholes, with a more Mediterranean style. I imagine that they'd love to have a porch with vine-covered trellis, maybe some pantile roof and rustic walls sticking out of the hill.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

It's going to be fun trying to make an Italian version of hobbitholes, with a more Mediterranean style. I imagine that they'd love to have a porch with vine-covered trellis, maybe some pantile roof and rustic walls sticking out of the hill.

You're making the idea sound better with every step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Panzer IV Ausf J with no Schürzen because it kept breaking so I just took it off.

Incidentally this is exactly what the crew did IRL and for the same reason, so this is very historically accurate :mil101: