Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

The White Leftist's Burden

my third world maoism grows another inch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1333229038706581505?s=21

gently caress the internet, I want to experience the Great Depression! Doubly insane post coming from a YouTuber.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Henchman of Santa posted:

gently caress the internet, I want to experience the Great Depression! Doubly insane post coming from a YouTuber.

Gets sent to 1900s

"Sweet! now i just got to wait for WW1"

*dies from tuberculosis.*

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

if i get a time machine I'm going to the year 2420 to either walk through the wreckage or be a museum piece. given how weed strains have changed in the past 50 years i expect a single gram of future weed will get me stoned forever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1332719823659409412

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

man it would be so cool to fight in two of the bloodiest, most destructive wars in written history and come out the other end maimed and/or irreparably psychologically scarred haha it would own so hard

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The idiots are the ones ratioing this tweet

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The idiots are the ones ratioing this tweet

Nah. Even if what he says will be true, the NYT did a terrible job of covering Trump.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah. Even if what he says will be true, the NYT did a terrible job of covering Trump.

Yes, but that’s not why are people are mad about it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Must be really hard for him being a millionaire.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
You know, I can almost understand dreaming of fighting in WWII. It's obscenely dumb, but it's a generation-defining moment so I can at least can wrap my head around that mindset. And no one thinks that they'll be the one who gets hit with shrapnel on the plane ride in.

WWI though. Jesus, the brainworms to make that seem like a cool war to fight in. It's kings fighting kings in horrific trench warfare. I did a whole course once on Winston Churchill's writings. He did an early biography that was full of basically pulp adventure-style writing about how badass his early military adventures were, and even he stopped to note how much war sucked now and that WWI was a hellscape that he didn't really know how to square.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It would be cool to shoot nazis tbh but overall it seems like being in a war actually loving sucks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's easy to understand having that mindset when near every single piece of media about war, especially WW2, is about how cool and fun it was.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

*goes back in time to the great depression* heh, you guys think this is bad? wait 'til I tell you about this thing we have in our time. It's called cancel culture.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

What kind of person thinks the 20s and 30s were BOTH awesome? That seems like an either/or thing to me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fister Roboto posted:

It's easy to understand having that mindset when near every single piece of media about war, especially WW2, is about how cool and fun it was.

Well at least in the USA the military basically funds and/or provides materials at no cost to any pro-US military movie out there, so

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

letthereberock posted:

What kind of person thinks the 20s and 30s were BOTH awesome? That seems like an either/or thing to me.

Moonshiners and bootleggers?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

letthereberock posted:

Kind of person that's fully separated from reality they have to make up scenarios not connected in reality

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

do goyim think hanukkah is the most important jewish holiday?

Most Christians think Christmas is the most important Christian holiday, how can you honestly expect them to know Jewish holidays?

In elementary school, my friend told me hanukkah was the most important Jewish holiday and that it was identical to Christmas (and I believed that for years), but looking back I think he was just a normal kid who wanted a Nintendo.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

You know, I can almost understand dreaming of fighting in WWII. It's obscenely dumb, but it's a generation-defining moment so I can at least can wrap my head around that mindset. And no one thinks that they'll be the one who gets hit with shrapnel on the plane ride in.

WWI though. Jesus, the brainworms to make that seem like a cool war to fight in. It's kings fighting kings in horrific trench warfare. I did a whole course once on Winston Churchill's writings. He did an early biography that was full of basically pulp adventure-style writing about how badass his early military adventures were, and even he stopped to note how much war sucked now and that WWI was a hellscape that he didn't really know how to square.

Ian M. Banks posted:

One hundred idiots make idiotic plans and carry them out. All but one justly fail. The hundredth idiot, whose plan succeeded through pure luck, is immediately convinced he’s a genius.”

We are perhaps fortunate that noted anti-semite Churchill and that AD&D inventing JRR Tolkien survived the trenches.

Hitler survived WWI though too.

Everyone should read or listen to a reading of Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est

Trench warfare is ugly and futile but so is ooorah special forces poo poo. Probably better when they're trained to kill proper like and not all Red Badge of Courage or that awful scene in Saving Ryan's Privates.

Everyone wants to be the hero.

(my great-uncle died overseas from drowning, not sure if in his own mucus or falling off a boat)

In summation all nations should come together to pool resources and make the best of the weird weather we're having and love one another. And more people should be in to getting their nuts stomped with stilettos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

We are perhaps fortunate that noted anti-semite Churchill and that AD&D inventing JRR Tolkien survived the trenches.

In conclusion, WW1 was a no man's land of contrasts. Thank you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Moonshiners and bootleggers?

Most of them lost their jobs in the early 30s too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WW2 was awesome because of Call of Duty. That’s as far as it goes and no more complicated.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Wouldn't be different than a bunch of folks back then. Because there hadn't been an all-consuming war for a bit, there were a ton of people who wanted to go out and fight. Be men. War is fun!

From Julian Grenfell's Into Battle

quote:

The fighting man shall from the sun
Take warmth, and life from glowing earth;
Speed with the light-foot winds to run
And with the trees to newer birth;
And find, when fighting shall be done,
Great rest, and fulness after dearth.

Months earlier in a letter, he wrote "I adore war. ... It is like a big picnic but without the objectivelessness of a picnic. I have never been more well or more happy. ... It just suits my stolid health and stolid nerves and barbaric disposition. The fighting-excitement vitalizes everything, every sight and action. One loves one's fellow man so much more when one is bent on killing him."

Into Battle was initially published the same day as his obituary in 1915, after he died of wounds.

Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen were among the poets who wrote of the horrors.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought swords and shields were rad because of Zelda II, therefore I thought I should have been born in like the 1100s

(I no longer think this)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Everyone should read or listen to a reading of Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est

Trench warfare is ugly and futile but so is ooorah special forces poo poo. Probably better when they're trained to kill proper like and not all Red Badge of Courage or that awful scene in Saving Ryan's Privates.

Everyone wants to be the hero.

(my great-uncle died overseas from drowning, not sure if in his own mucus or falling off a boat)

In summation all nations should come together to pool resources and make the best of the weird weather we're having and love one another. And more people should be in to getting their nuts stomped with stilettos.

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory:
Lol triggered yet libs?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
when I died they washed me out with a hose!!! :blastu:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

applying to the VRA on the basis that I was an enemy combatant in the War on Christmas, my eyes locked with Dale, the underpaid clerk. Six hours later, I walk out; reason has won against Fox news, and I know I remain the greatest story of a lovely customer he will ever tell.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1333212496396685315?s=19

:barf:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

china bot posted:

when I died they washed me out with a hose!!! :blastu:

Well, they WOULD have, but I drew cartoon landing gear and the bomber landed safely on those. Truly an Amazing Story.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Powered Descent posted:

Well, they WOULD have, but I drew cartoon landing gear and the bomber landed safely on those. Truly an Amazing Story.

For far too long I confused that episode with the film Memphis Belle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was only thinking about how bad Takei is on the internet earlier, thanks for giving a new example. A lovely guy I’m sure, but his rise to Facebook demigod was embarrassing as hell.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

skyelevator posted:

For far too long I confused that episode with the film Memphis Belle.

Or Heavy Metal, for me.

Man I love a Flying Fortress story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was only thinking about how bad Takei is on the internet earlier, thanks for giving a new example. A lovely guy I’m sure, but his rise to Facebook demigod was embarrassing as hell.

What happened with the accusations of him being a sex pest?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OwlFancier posted:

What happened with the accusations of him being a sex pest?

His accuser admitted he made it all up. Takei publicly forgave him.

edited to add link: https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/05/george-takei-sexual-assault-accuser-retracts-claim

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Nov 30, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

EL BROMANCE posted:

he started acting in 1959. he is older than ENIAC by 9 years.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I really wonder how he woulda coped with the Spanish Flu.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

His accuser admitted he made it all up. Takei publicly forgave him.

edited to add link: https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/05/george-takei-sexual-assault-accuser-retracts-claim

Huh, a pleasant surprise.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Karia posted:

I really wonder how he woulda coped with the Spanish Flu.

Born in 1900? Not the worst, but not great either.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979-f3 posted:

Figure 3. Influenza plus pneumonia (P&I) (combined) age-specific incidence rates per 1,000 persons per age group (panel A), death rates per 1,000 persons, ill and well combined (panel B), and case-fatality rates (panel C, solid line), US Public Health Service house-to-house surveys, 8 states, 1918 (36). A more typical curve of age-specific influenza case-fatality (panel C, dotted line) is taken from US Public Health Service surveys during 1928–1929

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spanish fluwu