Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

SourKraut posted:

No poo poo, but there are a lot of individuals who have reported issues with them, to the extent that Caldigit has even confirmed it has been an issue and recommended that affected individuals use a USB extension cable to shift the unifying receiver further from the dock.

So it’s great that yours is working great and I’m envious, but it’s clearly a repeatable issue others have had, including myself with two Caldigit USB-C Pro docks that I own that have this issue on both. And of course there are a lot of other variables, but you shouldn’t simply dismiss someone’s experience because “mine works!”

Since it’s something that Caldigit has publicly indicated that they know about it, I was simply wanting to make them aware of it because having more information, anecdotal or not, is never a bad thing in terms of being an informed buyer.

Cool, next time put that ~information~ in your first reply. Yours read “mine broke, they’re all bad” with zero actionable info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mediaphage posted:

i don’t care if they do or not but i’m doubtful and if they do i hope it’s optional so i can avoid paying for it

I'd love to somehow know how many would go for it. I'd do it if the option were 100$ and the screen was indistinguishable from a non touch screen.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

beefnoodle posted:

Cool, next time put that ~information~ in your first reply. Yours read “mine broke, they’re all bad” with zero actionable info.

Or you could not be an unreasonable smartass in your reply, and simply either post your own experience or actually go google the issue and learn that your experience may in fact not be the sole one to expect.

Edit: And the only wording I would have changed in my original post as it is, is simply to say all of Caldigit's models, and not seemingly indicate that it was every. single. dock. ever. manufactured, as you seem to have taken from my post, because all of their docks have had reports of the issue amongst users. But anyway, I'm done with it and moving on.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 30, 2020

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Or you could not be an unreasonable smartass in your reply, and simply either post your own experience or actually go google the issue and learn that your experience may in fact not be the sole one to expect.

:lol:

You mean like I did?

New topic: somewhere in this thread someone posted a link to a site that's tracking what's M1 (and Big Sur) ready. Searching for it was fruitless. Can someone re-share it? I'm looking specifically for music software migration status. TIA

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

beefnoodle posted:

:lol:

You mean like I did?

New topic: somewhere in this thread someone posted a link to a site that's tracking what's M1 (and Big Sur) ready. Searching for it was fruitless. Can someone re-share it? I'm looking specifically for music software migration status. TIA

https://isapplesiliconready.com

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SgtScruffy posted:

Ah Crap - drat, I looked up a non-mid-2012 macbook and it was just "take out battery > put in new battery" so I assumed it was going to be the same.
Thanks everyone, you saved me some money (at least on buying a battery that I would never actually replace) and probably a broken laptop. I'll go the official route!

I'm not entirely sure if such an old MacBook would support it but I would recommend getting Al dente 1.2. It basically lets you set a max charge level for your computer. I would recommend 80% if you're going to stay plugged in most of the time anyway. That will dramatically improve the longevity of your battery.
https://github.com/davidwernhart/AlDente/releases

I know the current version of macOS has an intelligent battery manager it's supposed to keep it below 80% except for right before when you get up and unplug it. But for me, it hasn't really done anything like that at all so far. I do turn on videos overnight that I fell asleep to, however. So it probably thinks that I'm actually using the computer all throughout the evening so I can't blame it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 30, 2020

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thank you!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This thread is having me hope that my 2013 rMPB poops itself so I can justify a M1 Air. Though realistically I think I should hold out another year for second gen performance and maybe a body update.

e: ^^^ is that pho in your av?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple updated their trade-in program with the 2020 Intel laptops released earlier this year.

My 4-port 2020 Intel MBP gets $920 :toot:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Oddly Apple will not give me any money for my MacBook Pro 15" "Core Duo" 1.83 from 2006.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

The bong is back in Big Sur FYI

Apple’s bread and butter is that kind of ‘emotional design’ type stuff (the bong, the old mid-00s Mac status light “breathing” in sleep mode, etc) that makes users develop attachments and fondness for their machines, and word is people really really did not like losing the bong.

Speaking for myself, losing the bong was one of many reasons why I’ve stayed on Mojave. Like my dad was legit pissed when he updated to Catalina and suddenly his old iMac wasn’t cheerily greeting him at startup.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like the bong simply because it gives me some sort of actual response that I've turned the computer on. I'll press the power button firmly and even though I'm pretty sure the computer is booting I'll sit there and stare at the blank screen for like 4 seconds and start to worry.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple’s bread and butter is that kind of ‘emotional design’ type stuff (the bong, the old mid-00s Mac status light “breathing” in sleep mode, etc) that makes users develop attachments and fondness for their machines, and word is people really really did not like losing the bong.

Speaking for myself, losing the bong was one of many reasons why I’ve stayed on Mojave. Like my dad was legit pissed when he updated to Catalina and suddenly his old iMac wasn’t cheerily greeting him at startup.

This is why iPods look like bars of soap

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
i like the bong but dont reboot my mbp enough to hear it :(

on the other hand if the dell laptops i support played a chime on boot i would have ptsd

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn6bSm9HXFg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMCR66zjZo

Same energy

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

On Catalina, run this in Terminal:
code:
sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Apple updated their trade-in program with the 2020 Intel laptops released earlier this year.

My 4-port 2020 Intel MBP gets $920 :toot:
$620 for my MBA :(...still tempting to swap for the M1 model.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Does anyone know why it takes so long for apple to send out a Laptop? I “bought” a MBP M1 customised with a 1tb hard drive and 16gb ram a week or so ago and the estimated date of arrival is the 15th December.

I’m not in any major rush it just seems weird for a company of Apples stature to take so long.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple ships same day with 2-day shipping so if you're seeing an arrival date of weeks out it's because it's out of stock and backordered, which isn't really uncommon with new releases.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the cortana video is funny but i will say i have literally never not once had it work right on any of my windows machines. with that said i find siri to be pretty un-useful on macos, in part due to awkward summoning and then how it just sits on top when you’re done. i wonder what sort of upgrades they’ll bring to it for the mac if any. it seems so limited compared to what the mac can do.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've got something weird going on. When I make a second desktop (same monitor, just a second desktop I swipe to) in Big Sur I get these weird colors for the UI elements. It's a pinkish hue. Any idea why this is? It's pretty annoying.

Here's the primary desktop, everything cool there.

And the same window just moved to the second desktop

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

weird, is the wallpaper the exact same (i mean i assume it is) ? i’ve been bitten by opacity before

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've got something weird going on. When I make a second desktop (same monitor, just a second desktop I swipe to) in Big Sur I get these weird colors for the UI elements. It's a pinkish hue. Any idea why this is? It's pretty annoying.

Here's the primary desktop, everything cool there.

And the same window just moved to the second desktop

Probably "desktop tinting" -- the window colors are matching your wallpaper. can be disabled in big sur in system preferences -> general -> disable desktop tinting

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Probably "desktop tinting" -- the window colors are matching your wallpaper. can be disabled in big sur in system preferences -> general -> disable desktop tinting

holy poo poo thank you

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Looking at supply the 512/16 M1 MacBook Air is out of stock here.

If my dad is basically in excel every so often and otherwise in safari / mail the 256/8 MacBook Air still shouldn’t have much of an issue driving that Ultrafine 4K display and generally not being laggy right?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can't lie, I immediately checked the trade value of my Intel Air.

Turns out £1600 in April is only worth £500 now. Yikes. I know these things don't hold value like phones but drat. Oh well. I'm not going to impulse buy an M1 or even an M2 probably, this things still doing fine, but every time the fans spin up I'm going to sigh imperceptibly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last Chance posted:

translucent UI elements are so stupid

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Probably a dumb question, but an M1 MBA is going to be way faster in terms of basic tasks (browsing/Google docs) than my slow as poo poo 2017 12-inch Retina MacBook, right? I do love how it only weighs 2 pounds, but the slowness is killing me, even though it is relegated to couch browsing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

space marine todd posted:

Probably a dumb question, but an M1 MBA is going to be way faster in terms of basic tasks (browsing/Google docs) than my slow as poo poo 2017 12-inch Retina MacBook, right? I do love how it only weighs 2 pounds, but the slowness is killing me, even though it is relegated to couch browsing.

in every metric yes

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

It's faster at those things than my 2019 fully specc'd i9 16".

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

arbybaconator posted:

It's faster at those things than my 2019 fully specc'd i9 16".

I have read benchmarks that show this, but it is still absolutely loving me up weeks later. And the battery life is amazing?

This poo poo really is magical.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I have read benchmarks that show this, but it is still absolutely loving me up weeks later. And the battery life is amazing?

This poo poo really is magical.

Yes.

I am getting about 10-12 hours of screen on time with mixed-use for work/leisure. My work is mostly responding to emails, attending meetings (either on the phone or video calls). Leisure consists of reading this dead comedy forum, watching videos, and otherwise browsing the internet.

So you can very much expect a realistic 10+ hours of actual battery life out of the computer for your usecase

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Fedule posted:

Can't lie, I immediately checked the trade value of my Intel Air.

Turns out £1600 in April is only worth £500 now. Yikes. I know these things don't hold value like phones but drat. Oh well. I'm not going to impulse buy an M1 or even an M2 probably, this things still doing fine, but every time the fans spin up I'm going to sigh imperceptibly.

That's what I've been doing every day at my 2018 intel MBP since ordering an M1. The fans ARE JUST SO NOTICEABLY LOUD NOW.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

My 12" is my couch browsing and travel/airplane* laptop and I'm right there with you. I love it but it's slow as poo poo for things like "Chrome".

Do I upgrade now? Or wait a year for more revs and/or possibly a 12" ARM? I'll miss the rose gold though the recent gold looks fairly rosey.

*not this year

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 30, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I remember a year or so ago I claimed that an Arm processor with a 30~W TDP focused on speed would decimate Intels and several people said that Arm just wouldn’t scale like that. I was wrong. They decimate Intel processors at 20~W. :allears:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Buy one when it’s actually safe to travel, the M3 might be out by then

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

hatty posted:

Buy one when it’s actually safe to travel, the M3 might be out by then

Yeah - that's basically where I'm landing.

but then also...

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The 12” is still selling for $500~ off of swappa right now, so you could sell the 12” and get an Air for $500.

:)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

admiraldennis posted:

My 12" is my couch browsing and travel/airplane* laptop and I'm right there with you. I love it but it's slow as poo poo for things like "Chrome".

Do I upgrade now? Or wait a year for more revs and/or possibly a 12" ARM?

*not this year

I gave my wife an M1 Air to replace her core-m3 12” and it’s downright amazing how incredibly fast the M1 is compared to the 12”.

The 12” is still selling for $500~ off of swappa right now, so you could sell the 12” and get an Air for $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Linus’ M1 Mini review might be the nicest, most bizarrely pro-Apple video he’s ever made. It’s like mirror universe Linus (yeah yeah, I know he loves his Watch and AirPods).

Like his biggest, angriest complaint is that Apple was vague in their initial presentation...and he gets pretty righteous and steamed about it in a very PC-fanboy-who-just-doesn’t-like-Apple’s-ways sort of way.

But otherwise Anthony, et al. produced a bunch of really impressive benchmarks against the Intel counterpart, a TOTL 2020 iMac, and a Ryzen 5 5600.

Final conclusion is like- ‘yeah umm this is basically the future and it’s kind of nuts’

The comments are hilarious too because it’s like 35% mac people crawling out of the woodwork to celebrate and gloat, 45% PC/multiplat people being like “wow I think I might have to look into one of these Airs or something”/“can’t wait to see how the PC space tries to respond to this”, and like 20% people being like “gently caress Apple all this makes me want to do is build the most expensive Ryzen 5 desktop I can afford”

https://youtu.be/4MkrEMjPk24