Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I don't even know that much about Dune but the memes amuse me.

When the spouse read it, they enjoyed it, but were never entirely sure what was up, and if the smartest person I know was confused, I stand no chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The first book is straight forward and even has a detailed appendix of words and background

They get much stranger after that

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

They get much stranger after that

5-6 are basically the adventures of Duncan Idaho’s magic penis.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I tried reading Dune a few years ago. I'm by no means illiterate. But I'd read pages and pages and have no idea what was going on or what I had read. I'll probably try reading it again after I see the new movie.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

euphronius posted:

What the original of this called ?

Astartes

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the plural is Duncans Idaho

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

You fool that's an image of robotic surgery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dune is very very good but "straightforward" is not a word I would use to describe it

Much more than any book most people will have read it drops you into a world without any handholding and you have to figure poo poo out from context for a long time on your first reading.

People claiming it's easy and straightforward have either forgotten not knowing what the terms mean or are lying for some reason, or maybe humble bragging about their gigantic brains

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Duncan's Idaho

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

The Bloop posted:

Dune is very very good but "straightforward" is not a word I would use to describe it

Much more than any book most people will have read it drops you into a world without any handholding and you have to figure poo poo out from context for a long time on your first reading.

People claiming it's easy and straightforward have either forgotten not knowing what the terms mean or are lying for some reason, or maybe humble bragging about their gigantic brains

i got it p easily as a kid but i was also one of those kids who owned a bunch of RPG sourcebooks but was too socially isolated to ever use them

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
DUNE is a lot easier to read if you reference the appendix often, as euphronius mentioned. But yeah I agree, it's still a bit far from 'straightforward'.

:golfclap:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Is it still attached to him at the time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crane Fist posted:

Is it still attached to him at the time

Several of him

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Duncans Idaho are in 4. 5 and 6 is all the same Duncan I think, it’s been twenty years though since I read them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Bloop posted:

No wonder I kept vaguely thinking about my time playing Final Fantasy XIII when reading Dune.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried reading Dune a few years ago. I'm by no means illiterate. But I'd read pages and pages and have no idea what was going on or what I had read. I'll probably try reading it again after I see the new movie.

Dune is half sci fi hero’s journey, half political/ecological/religious world building and philosophy.

Dune Messiah is really good, almost as good as Dune. They could really just be two acts of the same book but I respect Herbert for breaking them up. I’ve re-read both several times.

Children of Dune was ok, it got very strange. I think I liked it? But I’ve never re-read that one. I didn’t continue after that if that tells you anything.

Apparently any of the non-Frank Herbert dune books are hilariously bad.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
The Duncans's Idahoes and their famous potatoes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Straightforward as in the plot is quite linear and traditional. Characters and places are introduced and then the story mostly unfolds in a straight line with no side stories. There is a time jump I guess. But no long flashbacks, no flash forwards, no radical changes in pov

That’s all I meant.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I read Dune early this year, and I enjoyed it a lot, glad I read it now and not back as a sci-fi crushing teenager, reading a lot of Russian lit has really given me the patience to appreciate it.

And my enjoyment is forever doubled by getting to enjoy Dune memes in this thread.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Is this a Malay Facebook thing? I'm slightly annoyed they went with Thomas but not Gerald. Or Jerome. Or William, apparently.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Elviscat posted:

I read Dune early this year, and I enjoyed it a lot, glad I read it now and not back as a sci-fi crushing teenager, reading a lot of Russian lit has really given me the patience to appreciate it.

And my enjoyment is forever doubled by getting to enjoy Dune memes in this thread.

Inverse square law applies about reading the sequels though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it probably took 3 attempts for me to really enjoy Dune. I didn't get it at all when I first tried to read it as a 12 year old, and liked the sci-fi parts of it as a teenager but bogged down on the politics. It's really good with an adult brain though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I hope there are some sick dune references in the new Ready Player book

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I love trashy nerd books but idk that I can stomach another Ernest Cline work

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/401472926312038412/782839458784477224/kE7hj2tG1E-WCyXE.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/401472926312038412/782839506084298752/video0-41.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

euphronius posted:

Straightforward as in the plot is quite linear and traditional. Characters and places are introduced and then the story mostly unfolds in a straight line with no side stories. There is a time jump I guess. But no long flashbacks, no flash forwards, no radical changes in pov

That’s all I meant.

One Hundered Years Of Solitude conditioned me without fractalizing my brain, Dune was indeed a straightforward plot and everyone had a distinct, if unpronounceable, name. Figuring out context was a bitch, had to read it at least twice.

I liked the 80s version enough to get it on DVD. I'll watch just about any version they come up with. It could benefit from restrained use of CGI.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

euphronius posted:

What the original of this called ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The proper way to read Dune is to watch the David Lynch movie so you get a vague understanding of the plot, then read the book so you're familiar with the weird terminology and you're not completely confused during the first half.

In the end you'll be happy you did, because the first Dune book whips rear end.

The sequels, not so much.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The rule with Dune is that you read the series in order and quit when you don't like it any more. Different people will stop at different points, but they all agree that it doesn't get better the farther you go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's a locksmith's tool:

https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/sshank.htm

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I can't download this on the app, which makes me sad because I've been curating Confederate memes for like a year.

I meant to post 'em all on the anniversary of Sherman's march to the sea, but I got busy, so what the heck.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
As a teenager I read through litteraly all dune media , by Frank's Herbert and his son and the deleted scene of the first few books.

I liked dune , and we travelled internationally a lot and you can get the dune at a lot of book stores and they are thick

It starts cool with a hydraulic economy with space fiefdom of the oil spice planet and game of thrones in space shenanigans and the setting does well enough to explain why swords and physical weapons are still relevant so duels and mounted cavalry get to mix with space ships, it's a middle eastern swords and sorcery in space, what's not to love

The factions are all so strongly differentiated and intermingling/coexisting in cool ways due to different goals and the hook of the kwistach haderach being what it is a nice inciting incident to get cogs turning

But by the end it gets really weird with brain in vat spider robots named after Greek mythology sex torturing each other while the flash zooms around a cloning facility

Dune is best as a desert mood and atmosphere that leaves you wanting more

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Good idea: the "chosen one" myth leads to the defeat of the evil empire

Great idea: this leads to a psycho totalitarian theocracy of the devout followers of the "chosen one"

Absolutely amazing idea: the "chosen one" has to use his powers to rebel against his own fanatical following

poo poo idea: what the Dune sequels did with that premise

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The proper way to read Dune is to watch the David Lynch movie so you get a vague understanding of the plot, then read the book so you're familiar with the weird terminology and you're not completely confused during the first half.

In the end you'll be happy you did, because the first Dune book whips rear end.

The sequels, not so much.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Worthless contribution: I think I saw the/a Dune movie 10-15 years ago when I was in middle/high school. All I remember was it was boring and didn't make much sense. Now I have a dozen or more Dune books in my apartment because I took possession of a bookshelf (and books) of someone who loved Dune.

Basically what I'm saying is I, too, love spice.

This made me wonder if anyone made confederate flag printed dog poop bags. Unfortunately, I didn't find any, but I was pleasantly surprised that the top result was a front page article on flag burning.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This is a man after my own heart, there's a local chain of fast-food Mexican places around here, basically a cheap taco truck, but in a physical location with a drive-through. Their food is good, but they offer two hot sauces, a bland red, and a blander tomatillo. Not a bottle of $0.99 a gallon Tapitio to be found, even if you were dining in, in the before times.

I hit this drive-through up maybe 1-2 times a month, since I'm still at work, and sometimes I want a cheap, good lunch I didn't pack, my bottle of Valentina's hot sauce goes with me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL if you don't have bottles of Cholula and Tabasco and [insert preferred super hot hot sauce] at home, work, and in your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Tabasco is something you use to make unpalatable food palatable. There's nothing good about it, it's so you can take something gross and make it clear the reasonably low bar of "edible".

There's a reason they put it in military rations.