Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is the box of orcs vs humans actually a decent matchup? I'm going to play a several games on BB2 to get a feel for things but if I do end up taking the plunge on the physical game it's going to be kind of annoying if the teams in the box are hugely unmatched. Dreadfane almost turned me off Underworlds by how well Lady Harrow's ghosts clown on Ironsoul's Condemnors 99% of the time.

e: speaking of Underworlds, I enjoy the game quite a bit more now that I've 3D printed some unit nameplates that glue on to their bases rather than spend half my turn trying to remember which identical ghost, identical guy in armor, or wacky steampunk dwarf a given card applies to based on the tiny unit pictures. They're on Thingiverse if you search for 'em and I can't recommend them enough, honestly.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Blood Bowl is good and fun, but sometimes I get mad at it.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed reading!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

Is the box of orcs vs humans actually a decent matchup? I'm going to play a several games on BB2 to get a feel for things but if I do end up taking the plunge on the physical game it's going to be kind of annoying if the teams in the box are hugely unmatched. Dreadfane almost turned me off Underworlds by how well Lady Harrow's ghosts clown on Ironsoul's Condemnors 99% of the time.

e: speaking of Underworlds, I enjoy the game quite a bit more now that I've 3D printed some unit nameplates that glue on to their bases rather than spend half my turn trying to remember which identical ghost, identical guy in armor, or wacky steampunk dwarf a given card applies to based on the tiny unit pictures. They're on Thingiverse if you search for 'em and I can't recommend them enough, honestly.

If you mean the new box, I'm afraid the answer is we don't yet really know because the teams are new and they haven't been tested much by the community.

Neither team seems top tier, but generally the Human Nobles have a bit of pace and a lot of pitch control, while the Black Orcs have strength and armour but are very slow. They also have their weaker goblin buddies who will frequently get splatted when hit by the opposition. The Black Orcs seem like a much slower version of the Lizardmen team, but with a much more capable starting setup for the purposes of hitting, so it's likely to be pretty brutal for the Humans even if their fast players manage to score a lot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Is the box of orcs vs humans actually a decent matchup? I'm going to play a several games on BB2 to get a feel for things but if I do end up taking the plunge on the physical game it's going to be kind of annoying if the teams in the box are hugely unmatched.

The two new teams in the starter are about comparable, near as anyone can tell. Better than the original orc/human matchup. Neither team is that great, though.

ineptmule posted:

If you mean the new box, I'm afraid the answer is we don't yet really know because the teams are new and they haven't been tested much by the community.

The rules have been leaked for quite a while.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The discussion on picking up the ball is fun; that chance of failure is why I always try and get Sure Hands on a lineman even when playing elves, that way people can see you fail 97%ers as well! I think they should have just introduced a new mechanic for picking up the ball: if you start the turn next to the ball, and are unmarked, you can pick it up for free, end of move for that guy. Would help low agi teams in particular (especially if you already failed it the previous team). But we'll have to see how the new "jump" mechanic does as a new thing instead!

I like that the Blitz kick-off result got weakened, the vicious cycle can be horrid, but an opposing team getting a blitz after scoring could be extremely demoralising.

I started putting together the new human team today, impressive engineering but I'm surprised they're not snap-fit models, and most of them don't even have tabs to go in the bases. Welcome to the hobby: now glue these individual legs to each other, a butt, and a base at the same time.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2020

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

E. Nesbit posted:

Blood Bowl is good and fun, but sometimes I get mad at it.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed reading!

I play Blood Bowl basically on and off since 1996, and I have all but 2 teams 3-4-5 edition, so I might be a bit biased.
Blood Bowl is fun especially in a league, even if you get your teeth kicked in, but you will sometimes beg for a match to just end already.
BB can be punishing, heartbreaking, awesome, just sheer fun.

Also I made a gif in 2017 just for this thread:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't wanna play blood bowl but I would love to paint up the new Necromantic Horror Team: The Wolfenburg Crypt-Stealers

Seriously amazing sculpts, I'm in love. I never liked undead in BloodBowl but gently caress I may have to buy that team, its so good.

Humans and Orcs are both core teams that are really solid. They play a bit different but are both pretty solid at what they do.

Human Nobles and Black Orcs however... are new team rosters and :shrug: Probably fine? They have cool sculpts at least.

The great part about Blood Bowl is a whole new team is very affordable to pick up, but yeah its a bummer if you buy the core box for the rules and board and then you don't like the teams. You can probably get old editions on ebay and stuff if you prefer.

Marmaduke! posted:

The discussion on picking up the ball is fun; that chance of failure is why I always try and get Sure Hands on a lineman even when playing elves, that way people can see you fail 97%ers as well!

This is blood bowl.

And why re-rolls are such a fundamental currency to the game.

And why its even funnier when you fail that re-roll again!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 30, 2020

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
are humans really tier 1 now? ive always wanted humans to be a strong team. is the thrower worth it for reasons other than being a leader caddy now?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Slaapaav posted:

are humans really tier 1 now? ive always wanted humans to be a strong team. is the thrower worth it for reasons other than being a leader caddy now?

Well, they’re now PA 2+, as opposed to all the other Human throwers who have 3+, so it seems like they intend their specialized passing game to be stronger now. Effective Ag 4 for passing is a pretty decent increase, though I have no idea if that’ll be enough to change the state of the game.

Getting my goblin team ready for the Spring league, and my current list tinkering has the following:
2 Trolls
6 Goblins
Loony
Fanatic
Pogoer
Bomma
3 RR
Apothecary
1 Cheerleader
3 Dedicated Fans

Sits at 950k, which is enough to have room for a single Bribe to make it easier to keep weapons on the field. It’s a little light on players, but the Dedicated Fans ensures that there’s at least going to be 35k for completing a game - could drop a Cheerleader for more fans (and a guaranteed extra goblin per game played, rather than vainly hoping for a TD), but I’m hoping for an edge on Cheering Fans to get that sweet, sweet Prayer to Nuffle.

I like that it’s easier to guess how much cash you’ll get from a game with the new, less randomized cash gains (though I see my DF dropping like a stone during the actual league) and making planning out development a little easier.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The separation of passing from agility is the biggest change in new BB and will probably shake up the balance all around.

Here's one person's take on it and the effect on humans

quote:

So… what exactly does the new Blood Bowl Passing mean?

For a start, we’re definitely going to be seeing Throwers in most teams, at least in those who want the passing option. Humans for example, seem to get a little bit of a buff here, as their Thrower has gone from throwing on a 3+ (before modifiers) to a 2+, making a passing game just that little bit more viable. We may even see more Throwers being taken on the pitch itself, particularly on Attack. Before you’d maybe take one, but I can see some teams potentially taking two. One would remain in the backfield to pick up the ball, then one in the middle to receive a hand-off then pass to a catcher further on. It seems they have become more expensive, but I think most players would be happy to have the option at least.

gonna make a gimmick lateral team

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

In Warhammer Underworlds, I'm still allowed to use warbands from the first season, correct? It's just universal cards I can't use? I have some skellington boys I want to play with.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

In Warhammer Underworlds, I'm still allowed to use warbands from the first season, correct? It's just universal cards I can't use? I have some skellington boys I want to play with.
Yes, all warbands, and warband specific cards are allowed. All universals that have been reprinted are also allowed, they're just treated as having text that's on the newest version

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

Humans aren't any better than they always were. They're the versatile team in a game of specialization and that isn't a good place to be. They're bracketed on either side by Orcs and Dark Elves who both play a similar game but better. Don't take the tiers too seriously; Elven Union is marked T2 and Overworld Alliance is marked T1.

Hedningen posted:

Getting my goblin team ready for the Spring league, and my current list tinkering has the following:
2 Trolls
6 Goblins
Loony
Fanatic
Pogoer
Bomma
3 RR
Apothecary
1 Cheerleader
3 Dedicated Fans

Apo is probably a waste and Ooligans are now very good.

You definitely don't have enough non-secret weapon players. You have nine non-illegal players so once the weapons go out, you're going to get snowballed. And when you have a bad game, you're going to have a bad league, because MNGs are now more common and you have no way to absorb them other that journeymen, which still won't help with your secret weapon send offs. You really need to cut the frills and get more players.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I've been really appreciating the stuff coming out for necromunda, it's been a really great game, very newbie friendly and a huge amount of creativity, also there's been an amazing resurgence of BFG and battlefleet heresy, which has been great also, but I wonder, for my own edification, can anyone tell me what they think of Aeronautica? it's not really my bag but from the outside it looks like its been getting a lot of support, and models and stuff and I wonder if anyone can give me the goss. I'm totally ignorant of that scene and what it thinks, the last mega event I went to had a small number of players and since then a lot of stuff has come out..

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

That reminds me of what initially drew me to GW in the first place- games like Epic or early 40k always had a bunch of safe armies that then spiraled away into increasingly difficult but also fun-if-this-long-shot-works-out armies like the orks.

It will come as no surprise that my Epic scale army was Orks. And let me say now that I am pissed off that the new Adeptus Titanicus isn't in the old Epic scale.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yes it is, it's 6 mm. Everyone who heard that one dev say that "a space marine would be 8 mm tall" assumed that meant 8 mm scale but marines aren't exactly human size.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

The rules have been leaked for quite a while.

Indeed, but they don't yet exist in any computer versions of the game and the tabletop community has been largely suspended, for some reason, so testing of the teams in any major sense hasn't been possible.

Nobility are more or less like old Bretonnians and Black Orcs are more or less like slow Lizardmen but with better fighting skills. I think they're probably decently matched against each other but a lot depends on how effectively the Black Orc player knows how to abuse Grab.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

mllaneza posted:

It will come as no surprise that my Epic scale army was Orks. And let me say now that I am pissed off that the new Adeptus Titanicus isn't in the old Epic scale.

A lotta people in my local titanicus scene are gettin the new epic stuff printed out to adorn their bases and they look pretty amazing. like sicarans and planes and marines zippin around their feet..

I got a bunch of old marines and did up a horus heresy era epic army. I haven't had the chance to properly use them, but with the advent of 3d printing it's been my childhood dream come true.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Strobe posted:

Yes it is, it's 6 mm. Everyone who heard that one dev say that "a space marine would be 8 mm tall" assumed that meant 8 mm scale but marines aren't exactly human size.

Without quibbling about what scale they're supposed to be, the new Titanicus titans are significantly larger than the old titans. And if you're a fan of non-Imperial titans, I can see why it would be annoying that the new titans are so much larger.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cease to Hope posted:

Without quibbling about what scale they're supposed to be, the new Titanicus titans are significantly larger than the old titans. And if you're a fan of non-Imperial titans, I can see why it would be annoying that the new titans are so much larger.

I think that has just as much to do with advances in plastic molding methods and a change of aesthetics and design guidelines inside GW. Old 40K minis are also dwarfed by much of the new stuff released, even if they are depicting the same thing lorewise. I don't think the Epic stuff are more different than, say, 2nd ed Orc stuff vs 2020 Orc stuff.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 30, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

lilljonas posted:

I think that has just as much to do with advances in plastic molding methods and a change of aesthetics and design guidelines inside GW.

I don't think it has anything to do with the limitations of plastic molding. Nu-AT Warlords are about the size of old Imperators, and bigger than Mega Gargants, both of which are old plastic kits.

A change in aesthetic thinking seems reasonable, though. Epic's scale has always been all over the place.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

Humans aren't any better than they always were. They're the versatile team in a game of specialization and that isn't a good place to be. They're bracketed on either side by Orcs and Dark Elves who both play a similar game but better. Don't take the tiers too seriously; Elven Union is marked T2 and Overworld Alliance is marked T1.

dark elf got hit extremely hard in the passing department. witches quick pass on a 5+ now when they used hit those on 2+. all elves got hit but dark elf has to be able to feel the massive hit they took.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

dark elf got hit extremely hard in the passing department. witches quick pass on a 5+ now when they used hit those on 2+. all elves got hit but dark elf has to be able to feel the massive hit they took.

Humans also got hit hard in the passing department except when you have the ball in the hands of your thrower, who is now more expensive. Dark elves aren't better at passing than humans, but they are better at basically everything else, and dark elves were never super reliant on passing anyway. The teams that are going to feel the passing nerf are the teams that really relied on crossing the field in one turn, like the other three elf teams.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with the limitations of plastic molding. Nu-AT Warlords are about the size of old Imperators, and bigger than Mega Gargants, both of which are old plastic kits.

A change in aesthetic thinking seems reasonable, though. Epic's scale has always been all over the place.

The titanicus titans are now actually to scale with the big 40k scale titans with titanicus being a 6mm game. Old epic was just trash for scale and nothing was consistent.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I consider myself a good BB player, and when playing in a league with newbies I intentionally play joke or less optimized teams. I won my last league playing Lizardmen against a bunch of bashy teams... Via hiring Morg'n'Torg and just bombing skinks into the opponents pitch. Injuries meant I rarely had a single spare skink available to replace losses during a game.

Next league I want to play vampires.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

mllaneza posted:

Hell yeah, nothing like the Weirdboy Battletower going critical and either obliterating every enemy in front of it or every orc around it while the shok attack guns might open a hole into your enemy's titan and unleash berserk, insane Gretchin they also could just explode.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

I consider myself a good BB player, and when playing in a league with newbies I intentionally play joke or less optimized teams. I won my last league playing Lizardmen against a bunch of bashy teams... Via hiring Morg'n'Torg and just bombing skinks into the opponents pitch. Injuries meant I rarely had a single spare skink available to replace losses during a game.

fwiw, you can't throw skinks. you need a thrower with Throw Team-Mate and a character with Right Stuff to be thrown.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cease to Hope posted:

fwiw, you can't throw skinks. you need a thrower with Throw Team-Mate and a character with Right Stuff to be thrown.

Lucky for him ref failed the spot roll.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

xutech posted:

can anyone tell me what they think of Aeronautica? it's not really my bag but from the outside it looks like its been getting a lot of support, and models and stuff and I wonder if anyone can give me the goss. I'm totally ignorant of that scene and what it thinks, the last mega event I went to had a small number of players and since then a lot of stuff has come out..
If you played the original 2000s version of AI, it seems like the feeling is that the current version is 'for babby'. If this is your first exposure, people seem to be okayish with it. The take is that the game is fine but balance is skewed due to 'always take' and 'trap' variants. Then there is the difficulty in getting some of the original materials like the boards/maps/whatever the hell they are calling them and cards (if you want to play with 100% official merch). They also talked about having six forces available within a short time, but it was Imperial and Orks for a decent amount of time before the Tau release, and they haven't even announced what the fourth force is. Given the current production difficulties, I am sure AI is pretty low on their priority, which doesn't instill confidence in the long-term health of the game since the driving factor on what they release is previous sales.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Next league I want to play vampires.

Vampires no longer have Blood Lust, instead they get (the new version of) Wild Animal now. Which changes the whole team significantly.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Vampires no longer have Blood Lust, instead they get (the new version of) Wild Animal now. Which changes the whole team significantly.

Whaaaat?!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I thought you just needed Stunty? We may have all just decided it was too silly to not do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

:stonk:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is Adeptus Titanicus effectively a successor to Epic Armageddon, or is the focus squarely on titan v titan combat? I fuckin loved ea back in my stripling teenage years, still have a bunch of ork poo poo stuffed in a closet somewhere

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fuligin posted:

Is Adeptus Titanicus effectively a successor to Epic Armageddon, or is the focus squarely on titan v titan combat? I fuckin loved ea back in my stripling teenage years, still have a bunch of ork poo poo stuffed in a closet somewhere

Strictly Titans (and Knights if you want to get pedantic). I think they've mentioned that a more "Epic" type system might be in future but no commitment on that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I thought you just needed Stunty? We may have all just decided it was too silly to not do.

If you did it in a serious way, it would make Morg with Lizardmen a little outrageous.

Fuligin posted:

It doesn't do the full army thing, no. It's just titans and knights.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Any good articles or YouTube follows for good basic BB strategy? I know the rules and can fumble through a game, especially the PC version, but I want to get better and not make the same mistakes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Any good articles or YouTube follows for good basic BB strategy? I know the rules and can fumble through a game, especially the PC version, but I want to get better and not make the same mistakes.

BBTactics and the 1000 Losses Playbook are both good.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Yep, they updated the Teams of Legend. Download from the Warhammer Community website here and despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Given the current production difficulties, I am sure AI is pretty low on their priority, which doesn't instill confidence in the long-term health of the game since the driving factor on what they release is previous sales.

Yeah Necromunda is spoiled for content but even we're getting hit by whatever production nonsense is going on at GW..The Van Saar release is very popular and I doubt many people will get even the basics (gang+cards+book) so godspeed for an even more niche game like AI. And there are previous release shortages that I just can't understand like the necromunda cards that let you make up your own missions or the six pack of Ogryn slaves.