Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Children's cartoons are all made by grown up nerds now, every single one's trying to have those things or at least make an effort.
Nah there are still plenty of cartoons being made that have no appeal to anyone beyond literal children, they just don't get much hype on the internet.

There's a reason we're talking about Rebels and not Freemaker Adventures.

Teek posted:

It’s probably the volume wall. If you really look for it, you can sometimes tell. Usually it’s when the real foreground scenery props end and the background is filled it. It’s generally pretty seamless though.
For some reason it felt more obvious than normal in this episode, at least in the forest scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Well, we had Tattoine, big ice planet (not snow planet, that's Hoth), Water Planet, and Samurai planet so far this season. Any bets for the remaining settings? I'm going to say, Coruscant and World War 1 style planet are up this season for sure

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cage Kicker posted:

Well, we had Tattoine, big ice planet (not snow planet, that's Hoth), Water Planet, and Samurai planet so far this season. Any bets for the remaining settings? I'm going to say, Coruscant and World War 1 style planet are up this season for sure

Coruscant, no, but "A City" planet? Probably. If I recall correctly, the place Din's going next, that Jedi temple Ahsoka mentioned is going to be the Mountain planet. We only got three episodes left to find out either way.

Also at this point in the timeline the New Republic established its rotating capital system to keep one single world from becoming a new Coruscant, so currently Chandrila is the planet everyone cares about and no one gives a poo poo about Coruscant anymore.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

Chiss are weird, they call their navy like the "Chiss Expansionary Defense Force" but then they have strict cultural and legal rules against being the aggressor in conflicts so they'll claim unoccupied/unclaimed systems then basically bait enemies into attacking them.

The old EU had a huge shadow game of this in the Zahn book where they visit the Outbound Flight wreckage.

Ah, the Stellaris pacifist.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

nine-gear crow posted:

Coruscant, no, but "A City" planet? Probably. If I recall correctly, the place Din's going next, that Jedi temple Ahsoka mentioned is going to be the Mountain planet. We only got three episodes left to find out either way.

Nar Shadda Nar Shadda Nar Shadda

Edit: I don't actually think they're going to a city planet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah there are still plenty of cartoons being made that have no appeal to anyone beyond literal children, they just don't get much hype on the internet.

There's a reason we're talking about Rebels and not Freemaker Adventures.

I mean more the action-adventure ones going for the 10-14 market are a lot heavier on continuity and character development than they used to be, and also happen to be the ones that had to compete with the anime boom in the 90s that suddenly had these weird new japanese cartoons with real plot, real stakes and real continuity. (or at least a decent appearance of such)

Streaming has probably helped, syndication and reruns don't matter anymore.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

We also had lava planet.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

piL posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I want din to try more pigeon huttese

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

piL posted:

Nar Shadda is a City Moon. :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rinkles posted:

e:oh and the show just looks better in season 3

One of Clone Wars' virtues is that the graphic quality increases season by season.

There's good stuff throughout CW, find a list. If nothing else, the last 4 episodes of season 7 are brilliant. They rely heavily on S4 events, but other than one character being alive, you don't need them.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Coruscant, no

Coruscant yes, I'm calling my shot very specifically here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We also had lava planet.

How could I forget lava planet......

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m going to guess the final two episodes will both be set on Tython, and next episode will be something ship or station based. Maybe Din ends up asking the NR for backup? That’s still a hanging thread for the season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I doubt the season ends without us seeing Bo-Katan again; probably in the season finale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gonz posted:

I doubt the season ends without us seeing Bo-Katan again; probably in the season finale.

The season definitely seems to be heading toward a “calling in all our allies” scenario again, but it almost seems lame to pull that two season finales in a row.

I do wonder if we’ll see the return of the Mando enclave from season 1 though since that’s one of the few major S1 elements that hasn’t been revisited yet. Obviously lots of them are dead now, but surely The Armorer wasn’t the only survivor?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Mando is gonna lose this time around and Season 3 will be trying to get Baby Yoda back while the Armorer and Bo-Katan wage a war for his soul

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
He got that beskar spear so I assume he’ll go back to the Armorer to get it melted down and made into some other equipment. Probably in the next episode.

E: And probably mention Bo-Katan and what she said about them being religious wackos

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah, he needs that spear/staff so he can fight Gideon and the Darksaber.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, you don't give a spear to a character portrayed by an actor who trained for months to fight with a spear on another famous fantasy show and then not have him fight with it. ...Then again the last four years of popular media in general have been one boneheaded disappointment after another, so who knows, maybe they'll pull a Game of Thrones and have, I dunno, Cara kill Gideon with it because Mando's to obvious a guess. I dunno.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
wonder what grogu's first words will be (had to google the name, already forgot the exact letters)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rinkles posted:

wonder what grogu's first words will be (had to google the name, already forgot the exact letters)

I can almost guarantee it’s going to be some form of “this is the way”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rinkles posted:

It will be Frank Oz's Yoda giggle from Empire Strikes Back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For some reason it felt more obvious than normal in this episode, at least in the forest scenes.

Yeah there were a bunch of shots with full height burnt trees in the background but much much shorter burnt tree trunks on the physical set

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can almost guarantee it’s going to be some form of “this is the way”

"The way, this is!"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Do Yodas all speak with their words jumbled up or was that just a quirk of Yoda specifically?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Necrothatcher posted:

Do Yodas all speak with their words jumbled up or was that just a quirk of Yoda specifically?

There aren't any new canon speaking appearances but in the old EU, Yaddle did but Vandar from KotOR didn't.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

We've seen exactly three members of his species, one of which was silent, the other has said, and I quote "Guuuu" so far. So I don't know if we have adequate sample size data yet.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I can't be the only one who noticed this, but I like how this episode made Lucas' poor directional choices canon.

It's as if Ahsoka's delivery being stiff and stilted is a character trait of people who were raised in the age of the Republic / spent too much time on Coruscant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yoda’s inverted sentence structure frequency is really overblown anyway. I’m willing to bet that a majority of his ESB, ROTJ, and TLJ lines are in somewhat normal structure.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Even when he's not doing the inverted structure (which really is a lot) he's still got an unusual, staccato style. For example:

quote:

LUKE
But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA
You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
You know that trope of people looking at photos of pivotal moments in history and seeing the same time traveller in every photo?

That, except R2D2

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I can't be the only one who noticed this, but I like how this episode made Lucas' poor directional choices canon.

It's as if Ahsoka's delivery being stiff and stilted is a character trait of people who were raised in the age of the Republic / spent too much time on Coruscant.

That was always the point though

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, you don't give a spear to a character portrayed by an actor who trained for months to fight with a spear on another famous fantasy show and then not have him fight with it. ...Then again the last four years of popular media in general have been one boneheaded disappointment after another, so who knows, maybe they'll pull a Game of Thrones and have, I dunno, Cara kill Gideon with it because Mando's to obvious a guess. I dunno.

At the very least he’s definitely wearing a helmet all the time now.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

Did they think Peter Cushing was still working at 102 years young.

i swear a lot of goons are physically incapable of understanding that the vast vast majority of people are casual enjoyers of media and not turbonerds like them

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kanine posted:

i swear a lot of goons are physically incapable of understanding that the vast vast majority of people are casual enjoyers of media and not turbonerds like them

All the CGI discussion aside, I had a genuine head-scratcher moment trying to figure out why multiple posters were assuming that most people would know who Tarkin was and/or remember that he was in the original movies

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's a lot less bombastic and much more understated, plus the new art style really doesn't help.

i honestly really super prefer the rebels artstyle to the clone wars artstyle

with clone wars, it feels like they took the 2d tartakovsky/samurai jack/dexters lab/etc. clone wars style and tried kludging it onto 3d and it felt awkward because that art direction wasnt really meant for 3d

rebels feels like its purposefully going off ralph mcquarries style. since mcquarries style uses bold shapes/large flat color fields it actually translates to 3d fairly well

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

a little disappointed at how little they gave michael biehn to do, but i'm just glad to see him again.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Rinkles posted:

"daddy"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

Take me to Disneyland.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yoda Yoda!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

Dank ferrik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

More eggs please