Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
If anybody's interested in getting that "shoot down an eagle" achievo, the one that circles the peak of the biggest island of Guyun Stone Forest flies close and is really easy to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Bloody Emissary posted:

If anybody's interested in getting that "shoot down an eagle" achievo, the one that circles the peak of the biggest island of Guyun Stone Forest flies close and is really easy to hit.

!! I meant to post this last week, but yeah, that's how I got it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

EDIT: OH you're doing artifact domains at AR43......... you might want to wait two AR levels to do that, you get a guaranteed gold every run at AR45.

The level 90 artifact domains are the first domains where I get straight-up killed a lot. Stuff just does immense damage that sends a level 80 character from full HP to dead in like 2 seconds.

The level 80 version aren't a problem, but the difference in damage dealt seems extremely dramatic. It might be due to whatever level scaling there is that makes same-level things do significantly less damage than things 10 levels higher.

It's kind of funny/strange that level 90 domains unlock before you can actually level characters to 90.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I do like how many (not all, but many) of the enemies in this game get drastically easier to deal with once you know their tricks. I had a ton of trouble with Fierce Ruin Hunter commissions (they could literally one-shot any one of my characters) until this thread put me on the right track to cheesing them.

I'd feel bad about it but hey, these are ancient guardian robots, exploiting their programming is a totally theme-appropriate way of dealing with them. I don't remember who told me about the climbing trick, but thanks!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What is the climbing trick?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TV Zombie posted:

What is the climbing trick?

if you climb up at all when against a flying ruin guard, it'll immediately go into its ranged attack mode, which opens up its weakspot to get hit.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Ruin Hunters have two modes: the grounded mode (where they chase you down and slash you with their sword-arms) and the flying mode (where they hover in midair and shoot you with missiles and cannons and poo poo). The flying mode is super dangerous but also exposes their core, and unlike Ruin Guardians, it only takes one shot to the core to immobilize them.

The trick is that if they cannot approach you on the ground (because you're on a surface that can only be accessed through climbing), then they are forced into flying mode.

You can exploit this by either finding a climbable pillar in the environment, or making one with GeoMC. Lure the Ruin Hunter close, then climb up onto the pillar and go into aim mode with an archer.

The moment you're up on the pillar, the Ruin Hunter will stop trying to approach, and will enter flying mode. Shoot its core, then go down and hit it while it's immobilized. When it begins to wake up, climb up the pillar again. Repeat.

You do have to hit its eye reliably, but if you can do that, the Ruin Hunter will spend the entire fight shutting down, waking up and entering flight mode, then shutting down again. I've pretty much worked out the method to a point where I'm right up in the Ruin Hunter's face the entire time, and it still can't ever do a drat thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my high level domain discovery for the day is that Agents apparently have a full fuckoff teleport combo that ends with them dropping on you from the sky

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My strategy against ruin guards/hunters is to rain the fires of hell with Klee before they can even do anything. Ruin hunters are squishier than ruin guards so they get mushed pretty quick if you can unload on them on the ground with elemental damage.

That trick is good to know though. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 30, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Pshh, Ruin Hunters are easy to deal with. No need for fancy tricks; just make sure they stay cool

https://i.imgur.com/Ox9pnMu.mp4(best with sound)

:chillout:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hazdoc posted:

if you climb up at all when against a flying ruin guard, it'll immediately go into its ranged attack mode, which opens up its weakspot to get hit.

Venti's skill works there too, right? Which is convenient since he's also an archer and can thus immediately drop and prepare to shoot without swapping.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Dunno if this Zhongli is any good but they made a cool trailer for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oBpaBEMBIM

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man. Somewhere there's an alternate timeline where I kept rerolling until I got Chongyun and I can't help but long for that alternate self.

Characters with ice powers are like my jam and he's still missing. Plus with all the carries I have I can't really justify investing in him when/if I do pull him.

EDIT: Goddamn I love these character trailers, they do a good drat job making Zhongli look good. Also that music is superb I need a standalone track.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 30, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

I don't think you get to try qiqi during the cocogoat escapades either

I'm counting the new Story Quests that you unlock for doing 8 daily commissions too.

Ashenai posted:

Ruin Hunters have two modes: the grounded mode (where they chase you down and slash you with their sword-arms) and the flying mode (where they hover in midair and shoot you with missiles and cannons and poo poo). The flying mode is super dangerous but also exposes their core, and unlike Ruin Guardians, it only takes one shot to the core to immobilize them.

The trick is that if they cannot approach you on the ground (because you're on a surface that can only be accessed through climbing), then they are forced into flying mode.

You can exploit this by either finding a climbable pillar in the environment, or making one with GeoMC. Lure the Ruin Hunter close, then climb up onto the pillar and go into aim mode with an archer.

The moment you're up on the pillar, the Ruin Hunter will stop trying to approach, and will enter flying mode. Shoot its core, then go down and hit it while it's immobilized. When it begins to wake up, climb up the pillar again. Repeat.

You do have to hit its eye reliably, but if you can do that, the Ruin Hunter will spend the entire fight shutting down, waking up and entering flight mode, then shutting down again. I've pretty much worked out the method to a point where I'm right up in the Ruin Hunter's face the entire time, and it still can't ever do a drat thing.

Oh, this is an enormous livesaver now.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CJ posted:

I really hope he's a decent carry. If not I might just keep saving. He looks pretty drat cool though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Uh, excuse me?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tsyni posted:

I really hope he's a decent carry. If not I might just keep saving. He looks pretty drat cool though.

At the end of the day, for the content that exists in GI right now, looking cool is more important than being good for 95% of it. You only really need to go nuts for Abyss.

What I'm saying is I don't care if he's F-tier, I'm rolling for John Lee cuz he's super cool.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Man. Somewhere there's an alternate timeline where I kept rerolling until I got Chongyun and I can't help but long for that alternate self.

Characters with ice powers are like my jam and he's still missing. Plus with all the carries I have I can't really justify investing in him when/if I do pull him.

EDIT: Goddamn I love these character trailers, they do a good drat job making Zhongli look good. Also that music is superb I need a standalone track.

chongyun is one of the rateup 4*s on the zhongli banner, so you may be in luck
or not, depending on your primogem stash and luck

edit: though i must say, if you intend to use chongyun main DPS, you REALLY want his C1, as it adds extra damage to the end of his main combo and is a big damage boost to his autoattacking

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 30, 2020

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

CJ posted:

Thirst intensifies.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

CJ posted:

genshin impact my wallet

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

gandlethorpe posted:

You get 5 starglitter, so essentially a reroll
It burns your 4 star pity so it's basically replacing 1/10 of that rather than replacing itself, even if it is technically trading one roll for one roll.

Not as bad as pulling a dupe on a C6 5 star, but if you're in a position to have that happen you likely don't care how many rolls it replaces.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

CJ posted:

:aaaaa:

I was planning on rolling anyway, but now I really hope I hit that 50% pity probability.

gandlethorpe posted:

Uh, excuse me?

Finding chests at AR40+, in places you've traveled a billion times before, is one of the most delightful parts of later phases of the game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Going to wind up pulling for him just for the stupid fire domain. Ganyu being literally Ice Amber isn't encouraging even if she has 5* stats. Game just needs more non-pyro/electro carries in general. I don't even know how Xiao is supposed to fit in.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Bloody Emissary posted:

:aaaaa:

I was planning on rolling anyway, but now I really hope I hit that 50% pity probability.

Finding chests at AR40+, in places you've traveled a billion times before, is one of the most delightful parts of later phases of the game.

i did all the geo oculi, or so i thought, as apparently there is 1 extra anemo and geo oculi you can find beyond the maximum cap

where was this final geo oculi? On the top of one of the mountains in Guyun Stone Forest.

right along my main mob farming route

i mean, sure, you dont get pinged for the oculi from the ground level, but I SHOULD HAVE CLIMBED THAT ROCK AT SOME POINT IN TIME TO HAVE SEEN IT, and yet there it was, and I, oblivious to it for well over a month.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Man, I kinda wish Petrify (Zhongli's ult effect) was an elemental reaction instead (Geo+Cryo or something). It would be a cool alternative to Frozen.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

i did all the geo oculi, or so i thought, as apparently there is 1 extra anemo and geo oculi you can find beyond the maximum cap

where was this final geo oculi? On the top of one of the mountains in Guyun Stone Forest.

right along my main mob farming route

i mean, sure, you dont get pinged for the oculi from the ground level, but I SHOULD HAVE CLIMBED THAT ROCK AT SOME POINT IN TIME TO HAVE SEEN IT, and yet there it was, and I, oblivious to it for well over a month.

I stumbled upon my extra geoculus weeks after I'd agonized through a map to finish the quest. It was right next to Wangshu Inn.

The night 1.1 was released, I used the compass to find my extra anemoculus. It was right by the coast between Springvale and Mondstadt.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Uh, excuse me?

My life is a lie.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ashenai posted:

Man, I kinda wish Petrify (Zhongli's ult effect) was an elemental reaction instead (Geo+Cryo or something). It would be a cool alternative to Frozen.

Same :/

But he looks like he'll pair crazy well with Ning, so I'm looking forward to that if I pull him.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

S.J. posted:

Same :/

But he looks like he'll pair crazy well with Ning, so I'm looking forward to that if I pull him.

AGH DON'T SAY THAT

I don't have Ning and I have around 11k primos saved up... I could so easily pull a bunch on the Childe banner hoping to get her... but I don't really want anyone else from the banner, and I just don't think it's worth the risk. Agh.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashenai posted:

AGH DON'T SAY THAT

I don't have Ning and I have around 11k primos saved up... I could so easily pull a bunch on the Childe banner hoping to get her... but I don't really want anyone else from the banner, and I just don't think it's worth the risk. Agh.

Yeah if that's all you're looking for I wouldn't worry about it. I'm considering not pulling on the Zhongli banner because I want Xinyan more than anything, but... we'll see

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

S.J. posted:

I'm considering not pulling on the Zhongli banner because I want Xinyan more than anything, but... we'll see

I'm confused, the Zhongli banner is the one with Xinyan!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

The White Dragon posted:

my favorite is either this or balloon sabotage because it's quick and easy

balloon defense can eat poo poo

balloon sabotage was awful when i was running f2p carries (xiangling, fischl). now i have childe and i burn through it in under a minute. p a y 2 w i n

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ashenai posted:

Alternatively I could see Dendro+Geo being Petrify if they wanted to rework Dendro down the road... although it'd run counter to Geo just universally being Crystallize so idk.

Also for fun here's some other ideas for potential Dendro effects:

Hydro + Dendro = Absorb (Very low reaction damage. Heal the damage inflicted.)
Electro + Dendro = Paralysis (Moderate reaction damage, causes enemy attacks to occasionally fail for a duration.)
Anemo + Dendro = Spores (Because currently Anemo doesn't react with Dendro or Geo. Inflict a Damage Over Time effect on the enemy and all enemies nearby, damage calculated from the Dendro user's stats.)
Cryo + Dendro = Wither (Low reaction damage. Inflicts a debuff on the enemy reducing their damage output for a duration.)

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 30, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashenai posted:

I'm confused, the Zhongli banner is the one with Xinyan!

I'm considering not pulling on it, but I know my desire to have a character that reminds me of Dante from DMC3 will outweigh my better judgement

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Alternatively I could see Dendro+Geo being Petrify if they wanted to rework Dendro down the road... although it'd run counter to Geo just universally being Crystallize so idk.

Geo being universally Crystallize is the most boring poo poo ever though, why would anyone want that?

Yeah I get it, tanky element, but still. At least make Crystallize do something else, unique to the element! Like, if picking up those crystals also had effects on the battlefield, that would be fun and tactical.

I'm not familiar enough with the systems yet to know if Geo is weak (although I believe the people who say it is). My problem is that it's boring. It could really use some cool poo poo.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

S.J. posted:

I'm considering not pulling on it, but I know my desire to have a character that reminds me of Dante from DMC3 will outweigh my better judgement

I'm planning to pull on it some, but not hammer it all the way to 5* pity. If I get lucky with an early gift, awesome, if not then I'll still have a stockpile for the next banner!

Beezel
Mar 13, 2015
If this trailer is anything to go by, petrified targets count as geo structures for the purpose of his E?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Geo being universally Crystallize is the most boring poo poo ever though, why would anyone want that?

Yeah I get it, tanky element, but still. At least make Crystallize do something else, unique to the element! Like, if picking up those crystals also had effects on the battlefield, that would be fun and tactical.

I'm not familiar enough with the systems yet to know if Geo is weak (although I believe the people who say it is). My problem is that it's boring. It could really use some cool poo poo.

The nice thing about the shields is they give you a big boost to interrupt resistance on top of the damage absorption, but it's definitely not enough.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Beezel posted:

If this trailer is anything to go by, petrified targets count as geo structures for the purpose of his E?

Hopefully it's not something that was just for the trailer cause that would be sick.

While geo is currently a boring element, I do find the Zhongli's ability to do continuous geo damage while not on the field interesting. On top of generating crystals like crazy, he can also trigger shatters without relying on a claymore. You'd still probably need Chong and XQ to spam that much freeze right now, though, so might still be impractical until more cryo or hydro users come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wish me luck, I'm gonna burn 30 rolls on the Zhongli banner for Chongyun.

I sure hope I see characters and not Ningguang 4 times in a row again! :negative: