Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Anywhere legal to watch it? Google is giving me nothing.
The only precure with legal streaming are the original, healin' good, and kira kira, iirc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Endorph posted:

The only precure with legal streaming are the original, healin' good, and kira kira, iirc?

:smith:

Sorry...I just dont have the spoons right now to hunt through daily motion and shady streaming sites.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, you could just watch Healin' Good, Kira Kira, or the original. Those are all also decent magical girl shows that are enjoyable and have okay character development. Healin' Good is a bit janky in spots due to it coming out this year and its theme being viruses and doctors, you can really see the hasty rewrites in spots, and Kira Kira is a bit simple early on, but they're all good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In the mood for some good action stuff again. I think I cleared out most of the popular recommendations from the last time I asked (HxH, DB Super, Hellsing Ultimate, etc..), so maybe something a bit more obscure this time? Also any genre is fine, including sports and horror/suspense. Just no mecha.

Bonus if it has real good character growth outside the action or a really unique setting.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you didn't already check it out, Yu Yu Hakusho for shonen action. Haikyuu would be a good actiony sports series with good character development too. Though I'd say both are pretty mainstream choices.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for some good action stuff again. I think I cleared out most of the popular recommendations from the last time I asked (HxH, DB Super, Hellsing Ultimate, etc..), so maybe something a bit more obscure this time? Also any genre is fine, including sports and horror/suspense. Just no mecha.

Bonus if it has real good character growth outside the action or a really unique setting.

Hajime no Ippo
Semi-joke answer: Revue Starlight

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

Hajime no Ippo

Serious answer: Revue Starlight

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Heat Guy J

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

concrete revolutio

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Darker Than Black
Casshern Sins
Skull Man
Cyborg 009 (2001)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

If you didn't already check it out, Yu Yu Hakusho for shonen action. Haikyuu would be a good actiony sports series with good character development too. Though I'd say both are pretty mainstream choices.

Yeah Ive seen both (minus the currently airing season of Haikyuu).

AlternateNu posted:

Hajime no Ippo

Ive watched Hajime, but that just reminded me that I havnt seen Megalo Box. Is that worth giving a shot?

The Colonel posted:

concrete revolutio

Ill give these a shot, thanks.

Julias posted:

Serious answer: Revue Starlight

I would have never watched and fallen in love with Symphogear if I hadnt taken one of Wark's "joke" suggestions seriously in the past so Ill give this one a go too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I would have never watched and fallen in love with Symphogear if I hadnt taken one of Wark's "joke" suggestions seriously in the past so Ill give this one a go too.

Revue has some similar ideas to Symphogear, although it has a very different default tone. If you liked Geah I'd say you'll probably like Revue too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

Ive watched Hajime, but that just reminded me that I havnt seen Megalo Box. Is that worth giving a shot?

Megalo Box is great for it's characters and aesthetic, but I honestly didn't get much hype out of the fights. I think the reason it was so popular is because it hit that nostalgia button for a lot of people who enjoyed late '90s/early '00s anime, and the characters were fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Furnaceface posted:

Kekkaishi is my favorite obscure shonen recommendation. The anime only adapts the first couple arcs (and I haven't had time to pick up from the manga) but I really like the relationship between the two leads, it feels way more like a friendship between actual teenagers than these shows usually manage.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Furnaceface posted:

There is an older Hellsing anime, it goes a completely different direction since the manga was not finished at the time, but it's still pretty good from what I remember. Cool soundtrack

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, if you haven't seen it already

Does Ping Pong count as action? I don't care, watch Ping Pong

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kekkaishi is my favorite obscure shonen recommendation. The anime only adapts the first couple arcs (and I haven't had time to pick up from the manga) but I really like the relationship between the two leads, it feels way more like a friendship between actual teenagers than these shows usually manage.

Yeah seconding this. It was a good show and remembering back to it now I still think pretty well of it.

The manga was fairly solid but kinda goes into inside baseball on nuances from some of the characters and background organizations for the final major arcs so it got imo a little more complex than it needed to be to keep up a good story.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
My hot take is that gun gale alternative (the one with the little pink girl with the p90) is one of the best and most fun action anime of recent years

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i watched that recently and was underwhelmed, maybe because i couldn't help but compare it to bofuri which was more fun and didn't get bogged down with contrived stakes. or maybe because i'm burnt out on the whole battle royale tactical shooter thing. it definitely seems to have had some luck coming out when that stuff was still on the upswing, timing-wise it seems like it would have already had to be in production when PUBG blew up despite practically being an anime about that game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ggo isn't like an incredible show but its weird characters and tone and frankness about characters being gay hooked me more than bofuri. they do different things

the stakes are less contrived and more just there because pito is too much of a hardcore gamer

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you're looking for action try coffin princess chaika or rage of bahamut: genesis

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bofuri is a lot of fun to watch but it is not really an action show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i also thought it was a more immediately interesting hook that every character in ggo is pretty much playing the character they want to be in the game to the point that their avatars are all designed to reflect their mirror opposite, that's not really much of a thing in bofuri

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ggo has some boring bits in the middle but the final action scene is so insane that it alone justifies it from an action perspective

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the gag where llenn's best friend pulls up next to her in a car, puts on an old man voice, and goes 'hey baby, want to go to a hotel?'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

i watched that recently and was underwhelmed, maybe because i couldn't help but compare it to bofuri which was more fun and didn't get bogged down with contrived stakes. or maybe because i'm burnt out on the whole battle royale tactical shooter thing. it definitely seems to have had some luck coming out when that stuff was still on the upswing, timing-wise it seems like it would have already had to be in production when PUBG blew up despite practically being an anime about that game
It's a lot more Battlefield than PUBG. Specifically with dumb physics poo poo affecting gameplay.

Also everyone acting like actual video game players, even if exaggerated, was a major step up over most other VR based shows.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I liked llenn becoming a notorious ganker because the tutorial woman told her that every other player will try to kill her if she doesn't get them first.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd like to put in a request for two flavors of recommendation. Or a combo!

1. Romantic comedies, especially older ones. If newer, I'd prefer it be say college or older characters if possible, or really stylized so that the High Schoolers seem to be 30 like 90210. Or the vibe of say GTO etc. Something about the style of 90s and early 2000s stuff and older makes me not mind a High School setting, though that's usually not my fav for newer stuff. Nostalgia being part of it probably. I love Maison Ikkoku, Ah My Goddess, etc.

2. 90s stuff that is fun in that "older shonen" feel, or seinen, or seinen adjacent. In other words, whatever GTO is. I'm really liking Slam Dunk which has this feel too. DNA2 is another one with that kind of tone a bit. That kind of rebellious teenage angst and crazy humor works for me. A bit of a vague idea for a recommendation, but I just could use more stuff in that vein. Or even anything somewhat like that in tone, could be in other genres or settings.

2.5: Any cool 90s TV gems. By cool for me I guess just not battle shonen, not shoujo, not mecha (just because I think I'm well versed in those areas), so whatever neato stuff that falls in the middle somewhere. I can dig a thriller, a comedy, or whatever, maybe action, but not a battle of the week type of thing at the moment. I've seen every space western. For example, I think Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Blue Seed are cool.

That's a lot of words, so I'm looking for stuff in the spirit of 90s, cool rad fun stuff etc. And some romance in there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

1. Romantic comedies, especially older ones. If newer, I'd prefer it be say college or older characters if possible, or really stylized so that the High Schoolers seem to be 30 like 90210. Or the vibe of say GTO etc. Something about the style of 90s and early 2000s stuff and older makes me not mind a High School setting, though that's usually not my fav for newer stuff. Nostalgia being part of it probably. I love Maison Ikkoku, Ah My Goddess, etc.

I can't help you with older stuff, but if you haven't tried Kaguya-Sama Wants To Be Confessed To, you really need to try Kaguya-Sama Wants To Be Confessed To

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't help you with older stuff, but if you haven't tried Kaguya-Sama Wants To Be Confessed To, you really need to try Kaguya-Sama Wants To Be Confessed To

Apart from being a romcom Kaguya fulfills none of the requirements Heavy Metal asked for.

Edit: More constructively maybe Love is hard for otaku? it's only a couple years old but all the characters are working adults.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 2, 2020

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I really enjoyed Nodame Cantabile, and the characters are (I think) college level when it starts. It might be a bit low on the romance bit but it's pretty funny at times, sweet and good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

2. 90s stuff that is fun in that "older shonen" feel, or seinen, or seinen adjacent. In other words, whatever GTO is. I'm really liking Slam Dunk which has this feel too. DNA2 is another one with that kind of tone a bit. That kind of rebellious teenage angst and crazy humor works for me. A bit of a vague idea for a recommendation, but I just could use more stuff in that vein. Or even anything somewhat like that in tone, could be in other genres or settings.

2.5: Any cool 90s TV gems. By cool for me I guess just not battle shonen, not shoujo, not mecha (just because I think I'm well versed in those areas), so whatever neato stuff that falls in the middle somewhere. I can dig a thriller, a comedy, or whatever, maybe action, but not a battle of the week type of thing at the moment. I've seen every space western. For example, I think Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Blue Seed are cool.

That's a lot of words, so I'm looking for stuff in the spirit of 90s, cool rad fun stuff etc. And some romance in there.

1: honey and clover, tatami galaxy

2. devilman ovas, Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!

2.5. gunsmith cats, galaxy railways (technically 00s, might as well be 70s)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

If manga's an option too here: Crows and Angel Densetsu.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Angel Densetsu was so good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heavy Metal posted:

1. School Rumble is pretty much exactly this. Also, Romeo's Blue Skies (a.k.a. Romeo and the Black Brothers) is a romance/coming-of-age story set in late 19th century Europe if you like Japanese interpretations of old German tales.

2. I'd say Golden Boy, but I'm going to venture a guess you've already seen it based on what you've already mentioned.

2.5 Serial Experiments Lain. Also, I will never not pump Tenkuu no Escaflowne. :colbert:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

1. If you don't mind older stuff having a high school setting Kare Kano is pretty peak 90s romcom to me. Other than that I'd second Wotakoi, Honey and Clover, and Tatami Galaxy.

2. Initial D, City Hunter maybe? Also yeah Golden Boy if you haven't already seen it.

2.5: Key the Metal Idol, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Otaku no Video.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Lovely Complex is another good early 2000s romcom (well, the manga was, technically the anime was late 2000s but it kept the style).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Sitting here thinking about all of these criteria and Touch keeps coming to mind so I'm gonna say check out Touch.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Heavy Metal posted:

Kimagure Orange Road

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

1. I'm gonna second Kimagure Orange Road here. It's a lot of fun and it has a definitive ending.

2. Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! is perfect for this, it's about two teenage boys who decide to become delinquents after moving to a new town and become best frenemies

For 2.5 check out Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick. It can be pretty uneven and is all over the place tonewise but it ended up being one of my favorite space anime ever by the end of it. I'll also say the Master of Mosquiton OVAs, which is about a vampire and his adventurer gf traveling all over the world trying to stop Grigori Rasputin from summoning the Elder Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Much thanks for all the recommendations! I've seen a few, a few to bump up the list, and a bunch to add to the mix.

GorfZaplen posted:

1. I'm gonna second Kimagure Orange Road here. It's a lot of fun and it has a definitive ending.

Cool, I see it said that there are two movies and OVA #8 set after the TV show. Movie 2 being from 96 and maybe not everybody's fav. Just wondering which part is the ending you like, since sometimes they continue on after an ending people liked etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 3, 2020