Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Can anyone besides Link and Urbosa parry guardian lasers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Can anyone besides Link and Urbosa parry guardian lasers?

I think that anyone with a shield can do it. While I haven't tried it, I would expect Riju to be able to.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Spoiler warning here, but I found a Google doc linked on Reddit where they listed out the level 25 and 30 hidden weapon seals for all the weapons. Something I did not realize is that these differ between the tier 1, 2, and 3 weapons for characters, and Link obviously has dozens of combination. There are also other weapons that get the Korok Detector skill, so that's cool:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ci8hBndMf9jIRC_sYzZaKWhWt9UVw9Ee8PyhlbQ-eHA/edit#gid=129604727

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Spoiler warning here, but I found a Google doc linked on Reddit where they listed out the level 25 and 30 hidden weapon seals for all the weapons. Something I did not realize is that these differ between the tier 1, 2, and 3 weapons for characters, and Link obviously has dozens of combination. There are also other weapons that get the Korok Detector skill, so that's cool:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ci8hBndMf9jIRC_sYzZaKWhWt9UVw9Ee8PyhlbQ-eHA/edit#gid=129604727

I haven't hit 25 in any of my weapons yet, so I had no idea any of this was a thing. It's a really rad way of doing weapons rather than just "Higher Tier = More Better"

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I hope whatever dlc comes out of this has more stuff like the siege of fort hateno

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I haven't even seen like 70% of those weapons for Link and I'm in chapter 6.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want super hard dlc because most of my weapons were level 17 or something and I was able to beat everything in the game with just whatever. I never had to touch de-rusting things (few times I did was just some lame trash) and never had to raise the level cap because I just rarely got to that point.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want super hard dlc because most of my weapons were level 17 or something and I was able to beat everything in the game with just whatever. I never had to touch de-rusting things (few times I did was just some lame trash) and never had to raise the level cap because I just rarely got to that point.

Careful what you ask for as the level cap in HW 1 ended up at 255.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I’ve only gotten insanely good weapons from removing rust lol the price is steep though.

Also the price of removing weapon seals is insane. I did it once so far and it hurt. It was physically painful. The rupees you have to pay on top of the bajillion items you have to sacrifice to the god of weapon seals is just adding insult to injury.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve only gotten insanely good weapons from removing rust lol the price is steep though.

Also the price of removing weapon seals is insane. I did it once so far and it hurt. It was physically painful. The rupees you have to pay on top of the bajillion items you have to sacrifice to the god of weapon seals is just adding insult to injury.
Yeah, I saw the first price and I was like, oh, 300/600 rupees, not terrible.
Then I got to the second screen... WHHHHYYYYYY.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I love the animation when Terrako warps from a tower to go do a mission. I still have one character left to get but I genuinely enjoy playing most of them. There's certainly some that aren't my first picks, but the only one I actively dislike is Great Fairies.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
What a bloody great game this was.

Never thought it would be but my fave character is King Rhoam.

So fun to swap back and forth with their RZ move.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

King Crab posted:

What a bloody great game this was.

Never thought it would be but my fave character is King Rhoam.

So fun to swap back and forth with their RZ move.

He's become my new go-to 4th character after Link, Impa, and Mipha

I hit 100% and finished up the super challenging Fort Hateno mission, gonna grind out a few levels, some weapons, and then call it until DLC is announced.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ugh, I really don't like Sidon's timed hits mechanic. It just feels clunky for me and I can't get into the groove with him at all. He also has a lot of weird ending lag on his attacks. Probably my least favorite character to play as overall.

Weirdly though I really like Riju despite normally hating the high movement characters in Musous. She's got a lot of good single target strings and her AoE is absolutely nuts if you can get a handle on how she controls. Also she can parry which is hilarious

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 30, 2020

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Zore posted:

Ugh, I really don't like Sidon's timed hits mechanic. It just feels clunky for me and I can't get into the groove with him at all. He also has a lot of weird ending lag on his attacks. Probably my least favorite character to play as overall.

Weirdly though I really like Riju despite normally hating the high movement characters in Musous. She's got a lot of good single target strings and her AoE is absolutely nuts if you can get a handle on how she controls. Also she can parry which is hilarious

I don't think it cares if you're spamming ZR leading into the timed hit. I was having a lot of trouble keeping up with with the timing and found that just mashing it after I did my strong move works reliably enough.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zore posted:

for the first character you can just mash ZR after strong attacks and call it a day, the game doesn't actually care about the timing that much and won't like cancel strong attacks because you pressed ZR too early

for the latter, i found them pretty underrated, probably because of the high movement stigma of other Warriors games. obviously her aoe is great, but her c3 and c5 are appreciable single target combos, even if they don't outright delete weak point gauges like some other characters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

While it's neat that every character has relatively unique runes, it becomes irritating when some of them don't work like how you want. Like when a Wizzrobe flies into the air, Link can't hit it with bombs because he can't aim up, and Urbosa's bomb rune has a long windup that causes her to hit after the enemy's lost the weak point. About half the cast seems to use cyronis at a distance rather than right in front of them which means 70% of the time it's triggering behind the enemy which isn't helpful.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

While it's neat that every character has relatively unique runes, it becomes irritating when some of them don't work like how you want. Like when a Wizzrobe flies into the air, Link can't hit it with bombs because he can't aim up, and Urbosa's bomb rune has a long windup that causes her to hit after the enemy's lost the weak point. About half the cast seems to use cyronis at a distance rather than right in front of them which means 70% of the time it's triggering behind the enemy which isn't helpful.

This is why Mipha is the best. Her cryonis works good and her bombs do a bunch of weak point damage. I haven't really been using Impa much and I just discovered like 10 minutes ago that she can ride the block of ice like a badass.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Cryonis is the most frustrating to me. At this point I just need to go for the flurry rush when a Lynel charges me instead of standing on some ice while it runs by.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm pretty sure I've smashed a Wizzrobe with the bombs before, even though it really looked like I shouldn't have.

Similarly, frequently you can stop a charge with Cryonis even if the specific form of that Cryonis looks like it shouldn't work.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

This is why Mipha is the best. Her cryonis works good and her bombs do a bunch of weak point damage. I haven't really been using Impa much and I just discovered like 10 minutes ago that she can ride the block of ice like a badass.

So far Revali has the best cryonis I've seen, he does it immediately in front of him and it falls from the sky in four blocks side by side so it's really good at hitting things. This does make it not great for Moldugas though but you fight those a lot less than you fight Lynels.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If I could give Teba's Cryonis to everyone it'd be ideal.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Senerio posted:

If I could give Teba's Cryonis to everyone it'd be ideal.

It'd be pretty fun if you could mix and match rune "styles" between characters. There's definitely clear winners but it'd make for some interesting combinations. Maybe they could frame some missions around using specific combos of runes or something.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure I've smashed a Wizzrobe with the bombs before, even though it really looked like I shouldn't have.

Similarly, frequently you can stop a charge with Cryonis even if the specific form of that Cryonis looks like it shouldn't work.

Some runes seem to be more forgiving than others-- I've noticed that Impa will frequently use bombs in a random different direction (probably the direction she's facing instead of the target you're locked into) but it'll still trigger the bomb weak spot on the enemy you're locked on to. I'm not sure if that's something they hardcoded because people were running into issues with it, or the AOE on the bomb is just That Big when you're at 3 runes on her.

Cyronis is hands down the most irritating, Stasis also feels like it's frequently hit or miss-- although again, in hindsight, that's probably a "Because I'm making the mistake of assuming that me being locked into a large target will make me actually face that enemy when I'm throwing down runes" like it does in this game's namesake.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You have to be facing the enemy to hit them, but if you hold R it slows down time and if you press the control stick in the direction of the enemy before using the rune they will turn in that direction when they use it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wish the game at least gave you some charges in your rods/Apple when you start a new mission.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That's one of my biggest complaints, the original HW refilled your bottles between battles, but this one doesn't and you can't just buy apples or something between missions to refill your apple meter.

Not that I'd have many rupees to buy apples with anyway, I don't know when I'll ever be able to get to that 5000 rupee mission because I'm just stuck hovering around 3k.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's one of my biggest complaints, the original HW refilled your bottles between battles, but this one doesn't and you can't just buy apples or something between missions to refill your apple meter.

Not that I'd have many rupees to buy apples with anyway, I don't know when I'll ever be able to get to that 5000 rupee mission because I'm just stuck hovering around 3k.

That mission gives you 9k when you complete it so you might want to sell some stuff.

So I've seen some people compare Zelda's second weapon to Fierce Diety Young Link from OG Hyrule Warriors or Tiki from Fire Emblem Warriors. That isn't really a good comparison and trying to play her like that is going to be frustrating. Basically her ZR lets you go into a sort of turret-super mode but you should use it fairly sparingly, like when you dodge out of a Lynel AOE fire burst you can set up to punish it but you shouldn't be going into it when the Lynel is running around. Its designed for you to weave in and out of it when the enemy is incapacitated to do massive damage, most of the time you should be in the (fairly good) normal mode.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 30, 2020

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Twelve by Pies posted:

My advice to people struggling for cash is to open as many stables as you can and to check them after every battle. All but one or two of the merchants that show up there have a preferred good that's marked with a gold star in the category list when you sell. One merchant wants monster parts and pays 50 rupees for bokoblin guts, which you should have dozens if not hundreds of.

Completely agree about the apples though, I get that Koei really wants you to do small challenge maps to get those back, but that doesn't always work out.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 30, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cryonis felt like the least flexible of the runes in BOTW so it's only fitting that it's the odd one out here. It felt like the closest to old Zelda items that are really only meant to use on specific places for specific purposes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Cryonis felt like the least flexible of the runes in BOTW so it's only fitting that it's the odd one out here. It felt like the closest to old Zelda items that are really only meant to use on specific places for specific purposes.

Eh, it gets more utility than people give it credit for since it freezes enemies who are in water and serves as a really easy aerial launch for about a third of the cast.

I find it much more generally useful than Magnesis on just about every character personally.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
a good use of links cryonis is just standing on top of it to get easy headshots with your sword

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i legit forget magnesis even exists most of the time

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
drat, I thought I was about to beat the game but these side missions just keep on coming. This is awesome

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Selling Bokoblin parts is the best way I've found to get lots of rupees. Even just doing Egg Pudding and Egg Tart with no other seals on an average story mission will net me about 100-200 fangs and horns, plus 50-100 guts, which is probably about 10,000 to 20,000 rupees if you sell to the travelling Rito merchant.

There's also a good side mission called Chief-of-the-Dunes Battle that's quick to play and has about 1100 bokoblins to kill and can be done with anyone. Great place for collecting parts and trying out characters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chief-of-the-dunes is the best place to farm Bokoblins for sure. I was lamenting running out of Bokoblin trophies and then I did that mission twice and was all set.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

drat, I thought I was about to beat the game but these side missions just keep on coming. This is awesome

I love finishing a story quest then having a solid minute of quests and missions popping up on the map.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BisbyWorl posted:

I love finishing a story quest then having a solid minute of quests and missions popping up on the map.

my only complaint is that I really, really wish there was at minimum a way to "filter by type" on the main map

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really enjoy this game. The cast is killer, the soundtrack is amazing, the story is light years ahead of the OG, and a lot of gameplay quirks I found very annoying in the original have been ironed out.

My one complaint (and my one wish for the DLC) is that... well, there's not really a whole lot of missions that engage in traditional, bread and butter Warriors gameplay, at least as I understand it from HW:DE. That game was, fundamentally, about seizing and maintaining map control. You take enemy outposts while enemy tries to take yours. Sometimes you lose outposts and have to decide whether to continue the mission or take them back. Sometimes you need to decide which outposts to take first in order to more effectively slow the enemy down. It was basic, but fun.

There just isn't a lot of that here. I don't think I lost a single outpost that wasn't a pre programmed event. The only times I really needed to defend a base were in missions where not doing so would trigger mission failure, and even then, the game was ridiculously forgiving; I let the Moblins rampage in my bases for minutes at a time while I fought Hinoxes during Hold the Line and came back to find the outpost health meters had barely decreased.

My favorite missions in the post game are the ones that actually force me to both defend a position and capture new territory, like the OG Hyrule Warriors. So when the inevitable DLC comes out, I hope they include something like Adventure Mode - just a big old assortment of battles it's you vs the enemy army in a fight to maintain territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah it's kind of bizarre that there's no 'enemy is advancing to capture your base' mechanics. I don't really remember it being too much of a problem in HW1 but it's just not here. I felt like most of the enemies were just static standing around in the same spots while the only ones moving were the tougher enemies like guardians. I think because of it I went through without ko'ing all that many enemies because they weren't exactly doing anything or trying to move from where they were rooted so just 'eh'