Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard RP2 had a weird focus on SAO of all things. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard RP2 had a weird focus on SAO of all things. Is that true?
yes. It's mentioned in Quinton's vid on it. Which he questions why anyone would still watch sao in 2055, but that's the least weird part to me. It's from the age of perpetual franchise and will still be getting new seasons in the the 2050s.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mr Phillby posted:

My first bob vid was about spiderman too. He spoke at length about how he thought the next spiderman film should guest star Tobey Maguire as Tom Holland's secret mentor and retroactively make the Sam Rami movies MCU cannon.

Man that sounds dumb but if Into the Spiderverse 2 featured a live action Tobey Maguire spiderman in an otherwise completely animated movie I would see it 5 times so what do I know.

I'm fairly certain they're bringing in people from other Spider-verses in the sequel to Far From Home, given that they've cast Jamie Foxx as Electro and Dr. Strange shows up.

so he's right in very broad strokes but his idea is still really dumb

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A different bluetick to mock:

https://twitter.com/Casey/status/1333194058374602752

Man who makes fortune off the Internet thinks that actually its all bullshit and fighting in WW1 and 2 would be way better.

This is how out of touch with reality some big YouTubers are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kim Justice posted:

Man who makes fortune off the Internet thinks that actually its all bullshit and fighting in WW1 and 2 would be way better.

He's got the right attitude for WW1 at least; He thinks he's gonna go overseas to put the boot to those dang Germans and give them a good what-for, when really he'll be dead in no-man's-land within a week somewhere in Europe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kim Justice posted:

This is some peak "If I lived in the Roman Republic I'd be a philosopher living in a mansion and not a slave" energy.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

nine-gear crow posted:

Limited options. Doug got popular because he was basically one of three people doing what he did at the time he was first doing it, the other two being Spoony and James Rolfe, and the three of them basically settled the unexplored frontier. In short order, more people flooded into the market they'd created and quickly starting doing things better than them and evolving the whole atmosphere around them.

Doug stagnated and was left in the dust (artistically, I mean, he's still a stupid big draw for some reason), Noah buckled under the pressure, had a meltdown and left the game for good, and James realized the times were a changing and tried his best to change with them.

If you liked The Nostalgia Critic 10 years ago, I don't think anyone would blame you. If you liked The Nostalgia Critic 5 years ago, people would probably look at you a little sus, but not really hold it against you. If you like The Nostalgia Critic today, then you're a lost goddamn cause.

People around here had been souring on Doug for a while, but it wasn't until the first "purge" of CA (I forget exactly who was involved but Lupa was the big one IIRC) that people around here really turned on him, because it turned out a couple of those ex-CA contributors had accounts here and were happy to open up about how lovely the conditions under Channel Awesome had been. This was a couple years before Change The Channel was a thing but I don't think the news spread much further than SA, or if it did then I don't remember hearing much about it until the CTC allegations really got rolling.

Prior to that I think the general opinion of Doug Walker around here was that he was a weird but harmless manchild who seemed to be an overall good person even though his output hadn't really matured all that much. Its weird to look back on that time knowing what I know now, because I think I gave his work a lot more credit, and a lot less scrutiny, than it deserved simply because I still had a lot of good will for the man.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 30, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Yeah I'll just fight in WW1 and WW2 without dying and go on to enjoying my retirement" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I've got a personal conspiracy theory that most people making these games don't even want to make games about zombies. They just need anarchy and the world falling to poo poo and the zombies are an excuse to get there and start getting into the real story of how humanity sucks and will sooner wipe itself out with infighting than work together.

I see it as a variant on the anime and manga trope of Earth being invaded by a swarm of mindless bug-like aliens (e.g. this season’s Senyoku no Sigrdrifa). In either case, the writer wants to have a lot of exciting combat in their show/game but they’re worried the main characters will come across as stone-cold killers right from the start, so they have a type of mook enemy for them to fight that can be slaughtered without any possible moral complexities.

It’s not automatically a bad idea, but from a storytelling perspective it’s an unsatisfying conflict, which is why most of these stories end up putting the focus on either human, or more human-like antagonists in the end.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Violet_Sky posted:

When Doug started jumping to youtube he got real bad. I was already distancing myself from him at that point (when he returned after demo reel flopped it wasn't the same) but the reviews became...more gross. Like, "Sailor Moon makes my pee-pee hard wait what do you mean shes 14?"

That's also when Doug starting incorporating those god awful skits with Malcolm and Tamarra in them where he got weirdly preachy as if he honestly thinks his surface levels takes are "deep" or something. People often say Doug "failed to evolve" as a critic but I think that kind of misses the mark on why NC is so unwatchable now. Like there was something a little charming about early NC episodes. It was just a guy riffing on bad movies from the 80s and 90s. That's it. It was never deep, and never could be. It was what it was.

But I think Doug took note of how his fellow critics were growing and tried to be more ambitious. The thing is Doug is not a smart person so he doesn't have the smarts to back up a deeper approach to media beyond "lol! Tommy Wiseau sure is wacky!" or "A BAT CREDIT CARD???? *incoherent screaming*" Thus you get poo poo like his Wall """""""""""""review""""""""""""" where he thinks he's making deep biting commentary on it when in actuality he's just embarrassing himself and is too stupid and/or egotistical to notice

Speaking of Doug Walker... :v:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1332893454771363842

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jamie Faith posted:

But I think Doug took note of how his fellow critics were growing and tried to be more ambitious. The thing is Doug is not a smart person so he doesn't have the smarts to back up a deeper approach to media beyond "lol! Tommy Wiseau sure is wacky!" or "A BAT CREDIT CARD???? *incoherent screaming*" Thus you get poo poo like his Wall """""""""""""review""""""""""""" where he thinks he's making deep biting commentary on it when in actuality he's just embarrassing himself and is too stupid and/or egotistical to notice

Speaking of Doug Walker... :v:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1332893454771363842

I think the writing was on the wall even earlier than that; In hindsight it was obvious how little he actually understands about media when he tried to riff on Let's Plays being the hot new thing at the time with his infamously-deliberately-crap Bart vs the Space Mutants one.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because you like me thought it was funny. i still chuckle and some of the old poo poo once and while. but you grow up. i loved happy tree friends and foamy and homestar runner in junior high and guess what. only one aged well and is still funny.

are there any interesting videos about h*r around? or any flash series of that era/00s flash in general?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Turpitude II posted:

are there any interesting videos about h*r around? or any flash series of that era/00s flash in general?

Not a video, but io9 did a written oral history of Homestar Runner about three years ago that's well worth checking out.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Not a video, but io9 did a written oral history of Homestar Runner about three years ago that's well worth checking out.

that looks cool and absolutely something i'd be interested in... if it were in an audiovisual format.

i have a pretty severe case of the badbrain right now. i can barely read forum posts at the moment, let alone articles. :sigh: (though at least it insulates me from the snyderposts)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kim Justice posted:

everyone knows that being born in the early 1990s is the best, you get to enjoy all of the good media from the previous century, plus everything that pops up during the first 50 or so years of your lifetime and then when climate change starts to really affect the world, you die and don't have to watch future generations struggle against the collective weight of decisions made years before they even came into existence

win-win!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

everyone knows that being born in the early 1990s is the best, you get to enjoy all of the good media from the previous century, plus everything that pops up during the first 50 or so years of your lifetime and then when climate change starts to really affect the world, you die and don't have to watch future generations struggle against the collective weight of decisions made years before they even came into existence

win-win!

Well, you'd probably die in the water wars if you were born 2000+ as well, but without getting to enjoy Ren and Stimpy and the good Simpsons firsthand. Yeah, you're right.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Sydin posted:

This is some peak "If I lived in the Roman Republic I'd be a philosopher living in a mansion and not a slave" energy.

Oh, don't worry.

https://twitter.com/Casey/status/1333194059377119232

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This is just barely more than one step removed from "Also, I'd really would have liked to work as a guard in a Nazi-deathcamp". :psyduck:

What is up with this guy? Also, he wrote Caesar incorrectly. This is the most important point.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ugh seeing that reminds me how much I was into thinking the Roman Empire was the epitome of civilization from 10 to about 21 years old

I remember being on the Ancient History thread going on how even their slavery was better than chattel slavery of the American South.

Thank God I never found 4chan because I was also in that edgy South Park phase where I was playing the axis a lot in rts games.

Got out of fash and being a lovely libertarian by the time I realized how annoying those people were in real life and also got back into catholicism

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Kim Justice posted:

When I first saw this I was like, “Who’s this weirdo? The name’s vaguely familiar...”. Then I realized he’s some rich vlogger lol.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I know it's different for differing minorities and ethnicities, but I can't help but feel like a Jewish man saying he would want to go to Rome is just...baffling on a fundamental level. Everything else is like "why do you think you'd be any different?" But seriously, given the heinousness of both Rome and the early 20th Century towards Jewish people: why do you think you'd fare better?

Some real "well rip to ur grandma but i'm different" energy in those tweets.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's perfectly fine to be interested in the Roman empire but I feel like a lot of people who like that period of time never learn that empires are bad, actually.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I mean, the guy's videos are completely benign and inoffensive. They're not exactly worth watching unless you want to see a really rich dude go about on booster boards, use drones to the point of them becoming a meme and review first class flights but obviously a lot of people do want to see that.

He's made a tweet thread saying that what he *meant* was closer to "what time in history is the most interesting to you" which...er, hey-ho I guess -- I mean, that's a better way of looking at it but it's not all that clear. I wish to god that these blueticks would just take the L and accept the roasting from time to time -- just actually say that you made a cock up, for crying out loud. I'm not about to actively dislike Casey Neistat for being today's dumb comment Internet Person and I doubt too many others are because he's hardly insidious or toxic or much at all.

Lots of gammon now milling about in the replies hoping for him to say something about all this cancel culture or offended snowflakes or whatever, it's embarrassing. He's not cancelled, no one is cancelling him. He just said something dumb on the Internet.

EDIT: Jimbot -- has anyone told you your avatar is somewhat transfixing? Good job.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 30, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

which side of WW1 and WW2 did he say he wanted to fight on again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jimbot posted:

It's perfectly fine to be interested in the Roman empire but I feel like a lot of people who like that period of time never learn that empires are bad, actually.
For me it was because I was on the internet fash pipeline. I dont know what really got me into Rome in the late 90s early 2000s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao called it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Turpitude II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/homestarrunnerdotcom

they still do stuff on youtube. plus a couple merch stores.

https://homestore-runner.myshopify.com/

yeah causes seeing your friends die in mass in ww1 is loving neato.

RareAcumen posted:

I've got a personal conspiracy theory that most people making these games don't even want to make games about zombies. They just need anarchy and the world falling to poo poo and the zombies are an excuse to get there and start getting into the real story of how humanity sucks and will sooner wipe itself out with infighting than work together.

i have always preferred old fallout/nv and wasteland 3 version of the apocalypses. where its basically a second dark age where society is on impulse power and all the societies basically cargo cult older socities in different ways because thats what worked before but with new twists.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kim Justice posted:

This guy looks like a meeting point between Todd Howard and Fred Durst

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

achillesforever6 posted:

I dont know what really got me into Rome in the late 90s early 2000s

you got into it because Rome was cool: all the emperors were insane perverts, people spent all day jerking off using the olive oil endorsed by their favorite gladiator as lubricant and all night shoving curse tablets addressed to Jupiter, Jesus and Isis into the mouths of corpses in the hopes that at least one of those gods would listen to their request to give their mother-in-law diarrhea, and to top it all off, Grumio est coquus.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it was also the funniest part of History of the World Part I, excepting the Inquisition obviously

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

also everyone was named biggus dickus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bonaventure posted:

it was also the funniest part of History of the World Part I, excepting the Inquisition obviously

Still second fiddle to A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nine-gear crow posted:

I know nobody reads the OP any more or pays any attention to the 11 billion times I plug this feature in the thread, but can we maybe add a small, and by small I mean utterly obnoxiously large bumper advertising the Firefox, Chrome and GitHub versions of BlockTube so that people can keep assholes like TheQuaterstalker and JoeRandomGamer1488doublelightningbolts who are Forever Mad about The Last Jedi and the big woman from The Last of Us Part 2: The Second One from polluting their YouTube feeds and thus polluting this thread with them by proxy?

Maybe?

Please?

Can we just try a tiny bit of it?

I promise ill finish the OP (private drama) at least this week and will include this.
Also tempted to add Sponsorblock tbh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's funny that the WWI tweet gets the most response because Caesar's Gallic Wars are one of the first recorded genocides. Like a lot of nerds I was/am very into Roman history and reading the Commentarii de Bello Gallico cemented in my head the notion that the Romans were wolves by the lake ("They make a desert and call it peace").

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roth posted:

This guy looks like a meeting point between Todd Howard and Fred Durst

michael rapaport's new character is weird

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sarah Z continues to make videos for a target audience of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QhgQ-g4C0

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJ11GPfk9c

The fellow who had a video about his homemade prosthetic hand blow up a couple of months ago is working on a new project, which he describes as "incredibly stupid and dangerous, and should not be attempted at home."

But most of the video is actually him responding to comments, and talking about his career.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny that the WWI tweet gets the most response because Caesar's Gallic Wars are one of the first recorded genocides. Like a lot of nerds I was/am very into Roman history and reading the Commentarii de Bello Gallico cemented in my head the notion that the Romans were wolves by the lake ("They make a desert and call it peace").

It's simply that more people are more aware of both World Wars and the absurdity of having a game plan that involves surviving both of them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGbkLG1b8WA

James tackles both Taito collections on the PS2, a whopping 68 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Sarah Z continues to make videos for a target audience of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QhgQ-g4C0

not just you apparently

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1333528020196360193