Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to join the location tracking app my fiancé's family uses?

quote:

Our engagement is recent, and now that I'm almost a part of their family they want me to share my location with them so they can know I'm safe. It's nice that they care, but this isn't something I'd ever want to do. My family doesn't do it, and I don't like the idea of people knowing where I am at all times. It's creepy and an invasion of my privacy.

The first time they asked I just told them I'd think about it, but they kept asking so I finally told him I wasn't going to do it. They weren't mad at me but asked me to reconsider because if not they'd worry about me.

My finance was upset. She doesn't see why I am refusing. If I don't have anything to hide, there should be no privacy concerns, and given how much her parents worry, the ease it would bring them outweighs my desire not to share my location. The other point she made is that her brother in law had no issue with it so I shouldn't be so difficult.

So basically I am the rear end in a top hat because I'm prioritizing what she feels is the minimum benefit I'd receive over the massive relief her family would feel if they knew they could check if I was safe.

This just doesn't seem normal to me and if it is it shouldn't be expected. Besides, I don't have a dangerous job or do anything that would make me more likely to have trouble.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He can share his location with his fiancée alone, which should be no problem, and then if he ever goes missing she can look him up. If they both go missing together, the family is already tracking her.

Bing bang boom.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

He can share his location with his fiancée alone, which should be no problem, and then if he ever goes missing she can look him up. If they both go missing together, the family is already tracking her.

Bing bang boom.

Yes. Life360 allows you to have different groups, so I can have one with my family, and another with my secret Canada family. Then they don't learn about each other.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Your fiance has shown you that your wants and feelings will always come second to any weird complexes her family has why is she still your fiance

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I would love to know how old the couple are. This is either crazy terrifying controlling poo poo or crazy controlling poo poo that Christian Parenting Monthly declared to be best practices when getting your high schooler a smart phone in 2014 (and then the family never reassessed the dynamic). Neither is okay, but it's the difference between "run the gently caress away" and "wean the parents off the continuous info drip."

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 30, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cythereal posted:

Sounds like the roommate has the hots for the poster or her girlfriend.

might also just be jealous resentment that she isn't in a relationship

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I had a coworker with one of those set up for his family, typical republican dad type. His daughter is in high school which imo already seems old enough that it’s kind of weird he literally tracks them, but I initially just kind of assumed it was a modern parent thing. What flabbergasted me one time is he nonchalantly mentioned he would regularly watch his college aged son to make sure he wasn’t leaving his dorms late at night for parties or whatever.

He seemed confused that when his son came home he spent the entire holidays with friends.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I ask my mentally ill wife to get a job -- even though my earnings alone cover our expenses just fine?

quote:

I completely acknowledge that this sounds really bad, but hear me out.

My wife (23F) and I (26M) come from slightly different backgrounds -- my family was definitely more financially comfortable (parents left some hefty inheritance from their property business before they passed and I have a cushy analyst job at a rapidly growing startup) while my wife dropped out of high school and never worked more than six months at a time due to her depression (which was enabled by her horrible, abusive household mind you)

We started dating around 3 years ago when I just graduated university and got my first job, and I've been wiring her a monthly "allowance" (a small portion of my salary) since she's unemployed with no income whatsoever. One day it got REALLY out of hand with her mom so we decided to get married and move in together, and we've been living happily together for more than 2 years now.

Thing is, I thought with her terrible mother out of the way, consistent therapy, and a loving home & husband, she would get better enough to turn her life around. I mean, I understand how debilitating your mental illness can be (I got diagnosed with GAD some time back and had to do a lot of work to be somewhat functional), but it doesn't feel right to see her not doing anything but go on the computer and play games for years?

She doesn't really clean or cook or any of those housewife-ly stuff (which is perfectly fine to me! I want a lifelong partner, not a maid). She doesn't quite have any hobby either -- I asked if she enjoyed the games she always plays and she says it's just "to pass the time". She doesn't go outside even before COVID, doesn't work out or shop, and all her friends are online.

One time I suggested she takes up a dog-sitting job so she has the chance to go out doing something she enjoys (she LOVES animals), but she said, almost verbatim, "I don't want to work ever, honestly. We have enough to cover everything, so it's okay like this, right?"

That's when I kinda see figurative red flags? NGL, I felt a little bit resentful in the moment because it makes me feel like I'm just her sugar daddy, but upon reflecting I shouldn't be feeling that way since I do love her and seeing her content should be enough.

But I do worry that she's wasting her life away? She has all the freedom in the world; is it irresponsible for me to just let her sorta rot in our apartment not doing anything and possibly making her depression worse? or WIBTA since I'd be forcing her to do something she decidedly doesn't want to do?

For me, I get really energized when I do my job because I actually enjoy it. I figured if she can find a job she likes, it would be better for her and her mental health too rather than cooping herself in like this forever.

Sorry for the length, and I'm awaiting your judgment, reddit!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I always wonder why in these scenarios the person demanding someone else gives up all their privacy doesn't get their privacy taken away. Start tracking the parents, always asking them where they are going and why. Start showing up at their house randomly and once inside rooting through everything they have. Go into their bedroom and start looking for the things you don't want to find. If they get upset about any of this, well "if you have nothing to fear you have nothing to hide" after all. Of course I recognize this could backfire but at least then you'd know they actually believe that phrase applies equally to everyone. They would still be assholes but they would be principled assholes at least.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ArbitraryC posted:

I had a coworker with one of those set up for his family, typical republican dad type. His daughter is in high school which imo already seems old enough that it’s kind of weird he literally tracks them, but I initially just kind of assumed it was a modern parent thing. What flabbergasted me one time is he nonchalantly mentioned he would regularly watch his college aged son to make sure he wasn’t leaving his dorms late at night for parties or whatever.

He seemed confused that when his son came home he spent the entire holidays with friends.

Is the college aged son is too dumb to go for the obvious move of leaving the phone in his dorm room and getting a second phone for all his mates so he can do whatever the gently caress he wants without being watched then he deserves to be watched :colbert:

(ok he doesn't, but - and this is important - I crossed my arms stubbornly)

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I ask my mentally ill wife to get a job -- even though my earnings alone cover our expenses just fine?

I think this will be okay. Nobody ever blows through an inheritance or loses their highly compensated startup job suddenly or for that matter just loving drops dead one day. Wife has a great support system too.

(Realtalk, it is a symptom of a sick society that this woman has nothing going on and her husband can see that, recognize that it's a problem, and talk himself down because they have plenty of capital. But if she earned more capital she might feel better.)

My (25f) husband and two friends (all 25) peed in the hot-tub when I was sitting in it with them last night. I feel so disrespected and grossed out but he keeps saying "you're making WAY too big a deal of this."

quote:

Last night we did a small friendsgiving at my husbands parent's house who are out of town. It was mainly centered around his boyhood social circle, most of whom still have family that live in the neighborhood.

After we got done eating, a few of us decided that it would be nice to relax in the hot-tub and look at the lights of the city. We had been in maybe 5 minutes and my husband said "everyone ready?" his two friends gave a thumbs up and the in succession they each said "done." My husbands friend Sachim said done last and they all started laughing and the other two said "ok, we'll buy the next round." It was an obvious inside joke so I asked what they meant and they started laughing and explained the "hot tub pee game" that they had been playing since they were like 5 years old. I wanted to throw up and asked if they serioulsy all just peed in the hot tub. My husband said yes and it's no big deal. I was disgusted so I got out took an hour long shower and went to sleep in his sisters old bedroom and decided I didn't want to talk to him until today.

Today I feel like I've calmly approached him and tried to explain how dirty he made me feel, how unsanitary it was and how, while I appreciate that he has these long running rituals with his friends, he needs to stop the ones that would make him laugh in middle school and for certain leave me out of them.

All he keeps telling me is "relax, you are making WAYYYYY to big a deal of this."

I am sick of hearing him make excuses for this disgusting and childish behavior. How do I approach him to make him appreciate I need him to never do this again?

And the update:

(update) I posted the other day about my husband and his friends peeing in the hot-tub while I was in it with them. TLDR: we are getting a divorce.

quote:

I posted about this on Friday morning. We spend all day Friday fighting about how not only was it disrespectful but that he refused to even acknowledge my issues with literally being pee'd on.

Around 10pm I told him that if he said "you're making way to big a deal of this" one more time, I was going to file for divorce. He said it almost like he was daring me.

TL:DR: My mom and I are going to talk to an attorney today. My dad is a partner in his accounting firm and he thinks that since we are young and don't really have much, the divorce should be very quick and simple. My STBX husband has tried to called god knows how many times to apologize and saying he gets it now but it's way too late for that. It was too late for that when he and his friends did the initial act. I have more self respect than that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So why'd you get a divorce?

Oh well me and 5 friends did this thing from when we were 12 and my wife hated it.

Well what was it? Stay up all night playing Halo?

Nah we just pissed in the hot tub while she was in it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

betaraywil posted:

My (25f) husband and two friends (all 25) peed in the hot-tub when I was sitting in it with them last night. I feel so disrespected and grossed out but he keeps saying "you're making WAY too big a deal of this."

And the update:

(update) I posted the other day about my husband and his friends peeing in the hot-tub while I was in it with them. TLDR: we are getting a divorce.

sound the trumps! unfurl the pennants! fetch the crown of pete!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

betaraywil posted:

I think this will be okay. Nobody ever blows through an inheritance or loses their highly compensated startup job suddenly or for that matter just loving drops dead one day. Wife has a great support system too.

(Realtalk, it is a symptom of a sick society that this woman has nothing going on and her husband can see that, recognize that it's a problem, and talk himself down because they have plenty of capital. But if she earned more capital she might feel better.)

I don't think it's about the money but the idea that people have to be productive in some way to feel good about themselves. This is an idea I ascribe to as well. That productivity can be any number of things like volunteering, art, working or whatever but you need *something* to do in your life. It's clear that she does nothing. Not cleaning. Not a hobby. Not working. and the OP is just expressing that it's not about the money but she needs to get off her rear end and just do something, anything.

I have crippling depression too and it's something that takes work to manage and being involved in life is the major thing for a lot of people, myself included. The OP is just asking that she put in that work and doesn't know how to ask her (or nudge her) to do that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wouldn't want to share my life with someone who literally does nothing. I mean... come on, that's gotta be a drag to be around

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Was there an update to the "My brother in law says 'he knows' and I have no idea what he's talking about?" thing?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

please knock Mom! posted:

I wouldn't want to share my life with someone who literally does nothing. I mean... come on, that's gotta be a drag to be around

Its not great living it either.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

betaraywil posted:

And the update:

another starter marriage bites the dust

what the guy did was gross, but if that's all it took to destroy a marriage in the span of a day then it was doomed to begin with

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The_Franz posted:

another starter marriage bites the dust

what the guy did was gross, but if that's all it took to destroy a marriage in the span of a day then it was doomed to begin with

I was thinking that too. She must've been seeing his true colors after they got married and this was the perfect escape. And yeah, it's gross but then to make a joke about it and then to try to minimize it afterwards. Oh well, it's all for the best, I'm assuming they don't have any children.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr. Lobe posted:

might also just be jealous resentment that she isn't in a relationship

This was my take.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zil posted:

Its not great living it either.
It must not be but if she just isn't interested in being a functional person I cannot imagine why the OP would continue to stay with her for the rest of his life.

Someone who plays video games not because she enjoys them, but to pass the time?! No hobbies, sounds like no friends, and no life skills.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Tarkus posted:

I don't think it's about the money but the idea that people have to be productive in some way to feel good about themselves. This is an idea I ascribe to as well. That productivity can be any number of things like volunteering, art, working or whatever but you need *something* to do in your life. It's clear that she does nothing. Not cleaning. Not a hobby. Not working. and the OP is just expressing that it's not about the money but she needs to get off her rear end and just do something, anything.

I have crippling depression too and it's something that takes work to manage and being involved in life is the major thing for a lot of people, myself included. The OP is just asking that she put in that work and doesn't know how to ask her (or nudge her) to do that.

Yeah the way it's phrased it seems like if she was painting or some other random hobby not even a paying job he'd be happy. He asked and she she doesn't even like playing video games, she just does it because she has nothing else in her life. It sounds like he just wants her doing something that motivates her.

I feel like motivation is self reinforcing, hopefully she finds something she likes and the more she does it the more she'll want to keep at it. I definitely hate getting started in stuff but a half hour in I hit a groove and then you can get boring things done for the rest of the day since I'm already working may as well knock it out. It's getting up for the first thing that takes work.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 30, 2020

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, 100% with you (including as a significant depression haver who has a certain instinct to recoil from the idea of work because I know that at any point in the process I might wake up totally unable to contribute let alone meet a deadline). But it's unfortunate and sort of a teachable moment that he's saying "the money doesn't matter," but his go-to suggestion is paying work. Like, just that he naturally suggested walking dogs for money over (say) volunteering at an animal rescue or nature preserve is an indictment of the way that capital rules our lives to the exclusion of other considerations. The OP does know better (he says as much!), but he also doesn't.

(Also volunteering or hobby crafting or whatever will provide skills and build her networks and all that stuff that will help if something happens to the OP/his job.)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
What’s with these oddly sincere and empathetic responses, can’t we just tell the op to sever from his womanchild SO cause picap or whatever.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking as someone who was not given up on, he is heroic and she might need her meds adjusted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The_Franz posted:

Really? Your partner grabbing a bunch of his friends so they can join in and urinate on you together wouldn't be enough to destroy a marriage?

How many of them taking a poo poo into her purse would you consider before you'd acquiesce to a separation?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Really? Your partner grabbing a bunch of his friends so they can join in and urinate on you together wouldn't be enough to destroy a marriage?

How many of them taking a poo poo into her purse would you consider before you'd acquiesce to a separation?

This seems like a last straw sort of situation. The camel was already buckling.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
odd how getting pissed on can lead to one getting pissed off

very strange indeed

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, please, I want to understand this.

If you had an otherwise fine relationship, you would just brush off your partner joining in with a bunch of his friends to urinate on you?

If so, what would it take? They're a great person, but they occasionally plant turds in my breakfast cereal and funnel their mucus into my shampoo.

Docteur
Jan 4, 2019
What they did was pretty disgusting, but urinating in a pool (or tub) and *on* someone are two different things altogether.

I do think the divorce was already coming and this was either the perfect out or the straw that broke the camel's back.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If you had an otherwise fine relationship, you would just brush off your partner joining in with a bunch of his friends to urinate on you?

If so, what would it take? They're a great person, but they occasionally plant turds in my breakfast cereal and funnel their mucus into my shampoo.

To be fair, if you've ever been to a public pool, especially a hot tub, you've been swimming in everyone else's piss. It was both gross and immature of them to do that and she was right to divorce him, maybe not for the specific act of urination but the way it was carried out and then doubled down on in the form of 'It's not a big deal!'. Plus he's probably a loving loser anyways.

If it were me and it was a one-time thing and my SO apologized, it would not be the end of the relationship. If it was part of a pattern, then yes.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

These are COMPLETELY different things! Urine was considered to be sterile until 2015; now it's known to have some bacteria in healthy people without urinary tract infections, but not much. On the other hand, there are nearly 100 billion bacteria per gram of wet stool.

If you aren't completely knowledgeable about pee and poo, do you think you are sufficiently informed to be posting on SomethingAwful.com?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tarkus posted:

To be fair, if you've ever been to a public pool, especially a hot tub, you've been swimming in everyone else's piss. It was both gross and immature of them to do that and she was right to divorce him, maybe not for the specific act of urination but the way it was carried out and then doubled down on in the form of 'It's not a big deal!'. Plus he's probably a loving loser anyways.

If it were me and it was a one-time thing and my SO apologized, it would not be the end of the relationship. If it was part of a pattern, then yes.

"We all peed on each other too and you don't see anyone else getting upset about it!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's totally okay that I'm literally urinating on your face because it's sterile!

Have you said that out loud to anyone?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Look, maybe I should apologize for taking a leak in your hair, but at least I didn't poo poo in your mouth! Just wait a minute and let me tell you about sterilization levels, please.

Docteur
Jan 4, 2019

It's totally okay that I'm literally urinating on your face because it's sterile!

Have you said that out loud to anyone?

Who hasn't? :blush:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
if you think about it during these troubling times of covid by peeing on you im actually strengthening your immune system. I may have actually saved your life.

The first rule about peeing in the pool is dont talk about peeing in the pool, you start talking about it society devolves into chaos

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really forming any kind of premeditated group piss plan should be an automatic dealbreaker

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

haveblue posted:

Really forming any kind of premeditated group piss plan should be an automatic dealbreaker

This, entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

haveblue posted:

I take it I'm no longer invited to your weekly potluck?

Docteur posted:

Who hasn't? :blush:

I can confirm that this is true

Look, maybe I should apologize for taking a leak in your hair, but at least I didn't poo poo in your mouth! Just wait a minute and let me tell you about sterilization levels, please.

Most of the prostitutes I frequent charge per ounce of bacterial load