Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The 7th Guest posted:

i actually don't really think nier:a is worth the extra two playthroughs. the second playthrough in particular is a loving slog. as i played through the third run, the finale, i was just kind of ready for it to be over. i was inert by the final duel

The first "ending" of nier Automata isn't even really an ending, and is more like an ending to part one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + worth it? I enjoy it still but is it worth buying the last DLC? I heard there's a new version coming?

Firewatch. Isn't it coming to Xbox PC Game Pass?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

veni veni veni posted:

I played this for like 80 hours on PS4 despite it being one of the worst ports I have ever played. I should probably pick it up on PC and experience the version that isn't pure jank. I hear it has a real problem with hackers on PC though so I have kind of waffled on buying it.

I've run in to like 2 definite cheaters over the course of hundreds of matches. I think most of those accusations come from people running in to players with good spatial awareness getting lucky. I'm not great at the game and I've still managed to get some ridiculous kills like headshotting two people in a row through a wall cause I saw them out of the corner of my eye a second beforehand, which probably seemed like complete bullshit from their perspective. Likewise I've been headshot through walls because I've made a melee noise or something in the range of somebody's hearing.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The first "ending" of nier Automata isn't even really an ending, and is more like an ending to part one.

I didn't enjoy that part two was almost the entirety of part one again but from a slightly different perspective. That almost burned me on playing through to route C. They really could have done that in a much more compressed way without missing much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If they cut out most of route B, a lot of the sidequests would become route A only.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I put the game down before even getting significantly through A, let alone several retreads

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The devs really shot themselves in the foot with calling them endings in the first place and then making B for the most part seem like you're actually playing the same thing. A to E are chapters of one complete story, the rest are joke or early endings like when you remove your brain that says DO NOT REMOVE.

Lonegar
Jul 13, 2006
Internet.

Irritated Goat posted:

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + worth it? I enjoy it still but is it worth buying the last DLC? I heard there's a new version coming?

Firewatch. Isn't it coming to Xbox PC Game Pass?

Afterbirth+ is definitely worth it as long as you are fine with higher difficulty and want more items and crazy combos (110+ items added). It also adds new levels, bosses, and 2 characters, one of which has a very different playstyle. Just note that the new levels/bosses it adds are a fairly large difficulty increase, but have been toned down from the initial release and are much more manageable now.

Of course, if you want to wait for Repentance the new expansion it is possible all the expansions will be bundled and discounted on release. The last I have heard of a release date was sometime in 2021 so not sure when it will be out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Been playing Death Stranding since yesterday. It is thoroughly weird, but at least it's compelling :v:

Question, what does BB, er, actually do in gameplay terms? (I don't quite get it in story terms either, tbh)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I'm actually glad to hear some of the feedback on Nier Automata's odd design choices here. I've been currently making a retrospective video on it that agrees with a lot of the complaints brought up (while also highlighting the positives as well, to be fair) and I was really worried that I would just be slammed by the people who overwhelmingly love the game. Good to know that some people feel the same: it's silly, I know, but it was really easy for me to feel like I was insane making my complaints when up against such an echo chamber. Hopefully it'll be a nice video for the people in a similar position who haven't been able to express these opinions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Been playing Death Stranding since yesterday. It is thoroughly weird, but at least it's compelling :v:

Question, what does BB, er, actually do in gameplay terms? (I don't quite get it in story terms either, tbh)

BB lets you detect BTs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nier Automata probably would have been better served by combining A and B into a single part but I don’t quite know how that would work because there are some rather large perspective shifts.

So after a few more games of Second Extinction I definitely think it’s something to keep an eye on if you like your Left 4 Dead’s and Warhammer Vermintide’s, just semi-open world. Like I said earlier it’s only a month into Early Access so I can’t really say “get this right now!” but I can at least say that if the Early Access blurb is accurate and they’re going to add more maps and main missions and character stat stuff then it could be a great addition to the genre. Not something I expected to think about a game made by the name behind Generation Zero but I guess they got better.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

people itt complaining about automata’s endings don’t know how good they have it

og Nier and drakengards 1 and 3 were hell

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

StrixNebulosa posted:

Despite my intensely powerful anti-epic stance my brain is slowly bringing me to the side of Hitman 3 because god drat if I don't love that trilogy more than anything. Slowly. We'll see, it's still in January.

It might push me to pick up a PS5 when I can, then replay the whole trilogy on a fresh account.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

BB lets you detect BTs

Thanks. Game explained it during my very next delivery (by turning BB off, the assholes :argh:). Treacherous ground and a heavy payload is a much bigger threat to me and my cargo so far tho, so hey yo

This is much more engrossing than I ever expected it to be

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Empire of Sin getting ripped apart in reviews today. what a shame

Project Wingman unlocks at 1PM EST tomorrow, so that’ll kick rear end at least

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Taintrunner posted:

As soon as they said they were doing tactical combat, I knew that was going to be the case. I really want a good organised crime manager.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aw poo poo I was looking forward to Empire of Sin.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm on the lookout for hidden gems so here are some smaller titles on sale under $10 that look interesting to me. Anybody has any thoughts on any of them?

The Procession to Calvary

The Shrouded Isle

Beholder 2

My Lovely Daughter

Steel Rats

Interrogation: You will be deceived

Wait! Life is beautiful!

Nauticrawl

A Place for the Unwilling

In Other Waters

Assemble with Care

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I haven't played Procession to Calvary yet, but the developer's previous game Four Last Things is pretty solid.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo, I just heard that Team Reptile, the developers of Lethal League, have announced a spiritual sequel to Jet Set Radio/Future, and they’ve even got the series’ composer on board! It’s looking pretty sick, title is Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. That’s like a dream come true for me.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Palpek posted:

I'm on the lookout for hidden gems so here are some smaller titles on sale under $10 that look interesting to me. Anybody has any thoughts on any of them?

Steel Rats

I can give you Steel Rats if you'd like.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've only ever been casually aware of ace combat, so 7 is the first one I've truly put time into. It's pretty cool! I tricked out my fishbed. But definite star fox syndrome on your wingmen. Also they introduce and then dump the penal squadron aspect pretty quickly. All the dialogue is weirdly stilted in a way that I am coming to love

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo, I just heard that Team Reptile, the developers of Lethal League, have announced a spiritual sequel to Jet Set Radio/Future, and they’ve even got the series’ composer on board! It’s looking pretty sick, title is Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. That’s like a dream come true for me.

Hey, Raycevick did a video covering the JSR games and the another new JSR inspired game Hover! He also mentions Cyberfunk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZYN2ZZb3w

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Since I think I think the pc thread died in its infancy, could I ask here for mice recommendations? Hoping to maybe catch a black friday deal. I liked my G402, but it had a crap middle button, and now the left button is becoming unreliable. Don't want to spend a lot.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Since I think I think the pc thread died in its infancy, could I ask here for mice recommendations? Hoping to maybe catch a black friday deal. I liked my G402, but it had a crap middle button, and now the left button is becoming unreliable. Don't want to spend a lot.

There's an active Mouse thread in SHSC https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ah thanks

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Palpek posted:

The Shrouded Isle

Spreadsheet optimization game. Learning the rules and finding the optimal playstyle is a pretty fun puzzle, but it's not particularly clever or deep game.

Bad controls and physics. I stopped playing after an hour.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

The devs really shot themselves in the foot with calling them endings in the first place and then making B for the most part seem like you're actually playing the same thing.
I think the main way they shot themselves in the foot was when they made you go through the same game a second time except with some slight diversions and much worse gameplay because 9S sucks rear end imo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Taintrunner posted:

Project Wingman unlocks at 1PM EST tomorrow, so that’ll kick rear end at least

EoS is prolly gonna be one of those 'wait half a year and then it's golden' dealies

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I've played these three and can give some brief thoughts:

Personally found A Place for the Unwilling underwhelming, but it could just be me. It's a non-linear point and click about exploring a small town with a terrible secret. Can't say that it's bad, just that I wasn't drawn into the story and it will probably stay in the backlog forever.

In Other Waters: It's pretty neat. Again, it's a non-linear point and click exploration game but the main hook is dealing with a fairly abstracted and kind of obtuse AI. I also dropped it a little bit of the way through but that's more about me and my library so I plan on getting back to it again. Maybe I should finish it before I can really recommend it but I thought it was neat at least.

Assemble with Care: Short and not a lot of content so if you care about squeezing value out of price then maybe not for you, but I really enjoyed this one. There are 13 objects you have to disassemble and reassemble, 5-20 parts each. It's wrapped around an earnest but uninspired story about how family is important, and I ended up stringing the gameplay out into coffee-break episodes over a week or two and it worked really well for me.
If the devs wanted, they could probably make some 5 dollar content DLCs for it every year like what Glass Masquerade is doing and I would definitely go for it. One disclaimer is that one or two of the puzzles have narrator moments that require things to be done in a certain order to complete the puzzle but you can disassemble and go back to the right point and these are all 2-15 minute puzzles anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've just been slowly picking at my cart and buying stuff slowly.. i ended up getting mask of mists (played through it this morning, very nice little game), guard duty, roki and patanoir

the remaining 2020 games on my wishlist aren't in the "what an idiot you'd be if you didn't buy it now!" range so i'm still thinkin' about them for the next 24 hours:
Rivals - $6 (not on sale)
The Almost Gone - $7
Willy Jetman - $7
Ageless - $9
Lucifer Within Us - $16
Accident (early access) - $12
Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town (how can I not have this on my wishlist with a name like that) - $16
Littlewood - $12
Carrion - $15
Ultrakill - $17
Alwa's Legacy - $18 (not on sale)
Hardspace Shipbreaker (early access) - $17.49
Barn Finders - $16
VirtuaVerse - $12
The Flower Collectors - $15
Murder by Numbers - $10

I'm unlikely to go insane and buy all of them (because it'd cost over $200!!!) but you never know, i could go insane i guess. quarantine and all. i'm aware that lucifer within us is very short but that doesn't bother me.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

In Other Waters

In Other Waters is lovely, it's fantastically atmospheric despite (or possibly because of) its pared-down presentation, really sells the feeling of exploring an alien ocean, with an unexpectedly heartfelt story about exploration and our impact on the natural world. Definitely worth it imo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The 7th Guest posted:

Murder by Numbers - $10

I had a lot of fun with this. The murder mysteries and the nonogram puzzles were well integrated. The character art is a delight. HOWEVER. When you solve the puzzles the resulting images look like blobs. The results, even with a lot of coloring, don't look like the objects they are supposed to represent. If you like doing nonograms in a pure-reasoning way, without using the picture for tips, you're good. The mysteries are pretty railroaded; it's hard (maybe impossible? I don't remember) to make a mistake that keeps you from solving the case. The nonograms are good and challenging. I got 70 hours out of it, so it's definitely worth :10bux:.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

i've just been slowly picking at my cart and buying stuff slowly.. i ended up getting mask of mists (played through it this morning, very nice little game), guard duty, roki and patanoir

the remaining 2020 games on my wishlist aren't in the "what an idiot you'd be if you didn't buy it now!" range so i'm still thinkin' about them for the next 24 hours:
Rivals - $6 (not on sale)
The Almost Gone - $7
Willy Jetman - $7
Ageless - $9
Lucifer Within Us - $16
Accident (early access) - $12
Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town (how can I not have this on my wishlist with a name like that) - $16
Littlewood - $12
Carrion - $15
Ultrakill - $17
Alwa's Legacy - $18 (not on sale)
Barn Finders - $16
VirtuaVerse - $12
The Flower Collectors - $15
Murder by Numbers - $10

I'm unlikely to go insane and buy all of them (because it'd cost over $200!!!) but you never know, i could go insane i guess. quarantine and all. i'm aware that lucifer within us is very short but that doesn't bother me.

The only one I know about on that list is Carrion, and I played it on GamePass, so it was dirt cheap for me. It's fairly short, and a bit repetitive, and I can see that one dropping in price quite a bit over the next year - maybe hold off on that one for a better sale. I mean I enjoyed what I played (still haven't finished it) yet it's somewhat forgettable as well.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

In Other Waters is a neat little narrative experience. The gameplay is a little clunky but it has great atmosphere+sound design, a heartfelt story and the xenobiology aspect is interesting.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

The only one I know about on that list is Carrion, and I played it on GamePass, so it was dirt cheap for me. It's fairly short, and a bit repetitive, and I can see that one dropping in price quite a bit over the next year - maybe hold off on that one for a better sale. I mean I enjoyed what I played (still haven't finished it) yet it's somewhat forgettable as well.
Oh that's right, I forgot Carrion was on gamepass, I'll exclude that then.

on gamepass i've gotta play through Spiritfarer, Carrrion, Ikenfell, LevelHead and Carto

if it wasn't for indies, this year would suck lol. indies carried 2020 in a major way

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone know if the "A Study of Gliese 667Cc" DLC for In Other Waters is worth it? It calls itself an epilogue of sorts (it looks to be a kinda in-world encyclopedia)

I can very nearly get In Other Waters itself for free after selling off my steam cards, but just wondering if the game alone will leave big questions that I could get satisfying answers to with the supplementary material.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fwoderwick posted:

Anyone know if the "A Study of Gliese 667Cc" DLC for In Other Waters is worth it? It calls itself an epilogue of sorts (it looks to be a kinda in-world encyclopedia)

I can very nearly get In Other Waters itself for free after selling off my steam cards, but just wondering if the game alone will leave big questions that I could get satisfying answers to with the supplementary material.

I have it, but haven't read it yet. It's a 55 page PDF artbook and it looks and reads like this:

I should probably finally play the game and read the pdf, since I backed its kickstarter....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The 7th Guest posted:

Ultrakill - $17
Flipping through your list unless you really want to play Ultrakill or Shipbreaker right now you're probably better off holding off on them for another sale. They are mostly gameplay complete but neither is anywhere close to done on their campaign and looking at mid to late 2021 for completion.