Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
loving clouds and crap-tier eclipse. I'm never gonna get a chance to try out my tripod+phone mount with my Pixel 4a, am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is that Pixel trade in value for a 4a 5G still going on, or was that Friday only?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Splinter posted:

Is that Pixel trade in value for a 4a 5G still going on, or was that Friday only?

It's worse now, but still not terrible. Pixel 3 trades in for $215 now I believe. https://9to5google.com/2020/11/27/pixel-4a-5g-trade-in/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Twerk from Home posted:

It's worse now, but still not terrible. Pixel 3 trades in for $215 now I believe. https://9to5google.com/2020/11/27/pixel-4a-5g-trade-in/

Oh nice, definitely would've taken $235 for my Pixel 2, but $170 is still very appealing. That's still more than I paid this thing on Swappa almost 2 years ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Pixel 5 feels like if someone took an eggshell and put it around a metal phone. I really like it.

Also it's a LOT more grippy than the official fabric case.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah, this is my first phone where I refuse to use a case. I am inevitably gonna break it and be out $700, but it looks and feels so good.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Pixel 5 feels like if someone took an eggshell and put it around a metal phone. I really like it.

Yeah, I like the feel of it, too. Especially coming from the P3 which was so glossy as to slip right out of your hand.

I will say, though, that I'm kinda struggling with the swipe-from-the-edge-for-back mechanics. Even after minimizing the touch strip size, I keep triggering it accidentally when I'm swiping through other stuff, since apparently the size of the P3 XL has me accustomed to starting right at the edge of the screen and going from there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I like the feel of it, too. Especially coming from the P3 which was so glossy as to slip right out of your hand.

I will say, though, that I'm kinda struggling with the swipe-from-the-edge-for-back mechanics. Even after minimizing the touch strip size, I keep triggering it accidentally when I'm swiping through other stuff, since apparently the size of the P3 XL has me accustomed to starting right at the edge of the screen and going from there.

3 buttons 4eva

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WattsvilleBlues posted:

3 buttons 4eva

Yeah, but then I'm giving up screen space--without it, the P5's usable screen is almost exactly the same height as the P3 XL. I'm triggering it less with a case on now, but I'm still not 100% sold.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any recommendations for a P5 case that has one of those little USB doors / covers / protectors? I doubt there's an actual name and trying to search for it on Amazon and click through dozens of product images is a pain in the butte.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sab669 posted:

Any recommendations for a P5 case that has one of those little USB doors / covers / protectors? I doubt there's an actual name and trying to search for it on Amazon and click through dozens of product images is a pain in the butte.

The Otterbox Defenders have those. There are two versions, the Defender and the Defender Pro. They're the same price, but the Pro has "anti-microbial properties."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 1, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

smoobles posted:

Yeah, this is my first phone where I refuse to use a case. I am inevitably gonna break it and be out $700, but it looks and feels so good.

They should make bumper cases again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

R.I.P Galaxy Note line.

https://www.engadget.com/samsung-note-2021-report-185555313.html

quote:

Samsung’s Galaxy Note 20 may go down as the last of its line. According to Reuters, the company reportedly won’t release a new Note device in 2021. Instead, Samsung will focus its efforts on the Galaxy S and its lineup of foldable phones, made up at the moment of the Z Flip and Z Fold. To make up for the loss of a stylus-specific device, the company will reportedly make both the Galaxy S and its new foldable phones S Pen compatible — though you’ll likely need to buy the accessory separately.

I know reviewers have been saying for the past two years or so that the Note line is redundant compared to the S line and the base Note 20 really drove that home this year. I think the most exciting thing is the idea that the Galaxy Fold may finally be stylus ready in 2021 which should mean good things for durability.

On another topic, MKBHD did his 2020 "this is the stuff I carry" video and while he does carry an iPhone 12 Pro (not Max) for some stuff, his primary phone is still the OP8P.

I gotta say, I think I would agree that the OP8P was the best Android phone in 2020. Don't get me wrong, I love the P5 and it's the thing that will be in my pocket most of the time due to it's small footprint and light weight. However, when you are talking about all singing all dancing android devices this year, the OP8P really does take the crown. The main camera is really good, the software is clean and updates are, for the most part, fast. The performance is amazing and while the screen isn't without issues (NONE of the flagship OLEDs are without issues in 2020) it's still really good. You can actually see it's sharper than the S20/Note 20 models that limit resolution at high refresh.

It's just a really well executed device that would only be better if it had a flat display.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 1, 2020

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
That sucks. I love the pen on my Note 9, but I'm not going to buy a separate pen and carry it around with me.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
They've been saying the Note line is dead for about 4 years at this point. Not saying it's impossible, but wait and see.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My OnePlus 7T came in, and it came pre-packaged with a case, but I thought it also said there was a built-in screen protector. I'm not sure I see one or are they too smooth now? Do people still use them or is the new glass just good enough on its own?

Also since I only do this every 3-4 years I always forget by the time I have to do it again, can I just take my old nano SIM from my current phone and swap it over to continue my service (I'm on T-Mobile)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, you can just swap the SIM. When you finally go to a 5g phone you might want to think about getting a new SIM though. The current SIM will work on 5g NSA (non-standalone), but it won't latch on to 5g SA (standalone). You need one that has a R15 printed on it for 5g SA.

The difference between NSA and SA will be speed and range. Currently 5g NSA means all the control channels for the connection are going over LTE while the data is going over 5G. 5G SA is pure 5g with all communication going over 5G which brings with it better radio standards. It also means the control channels are going over the same band as 5g. Why does that matter? Say you are using 600mhz 5g NSA in a 1700mhz LTE area. Even though 600mhz has a far greater range, you will lose your connectivity once you get out of the 1700mhz LTE range since your radio will no longer get control signals. With 5G SA, you will have the full range that 600mhz offers.

T-mobile just started rolling out 5g SA in areas and the device compatibility list is even slimmer for now so it's not a big concern. But by the time you upgrade the 7T, both 5g phones and 5g SA will likely be standard and you'll want a new SIM.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uh how long should it take to install OS updates, I got my OnePlus 7T and charged it to full, I downloaded the Android update, and I hit Update Now.

It went to sleep and it's been a few minutes, it doesn't seem to respond to any presses or the power button... Also tried the extra-long press

Edit: Well I looked up how to hard reset and it didn't do anything while it was unplugged or plugged into my PC but it did once I plugged it into the power outlet... :confused:

Had trauma flashbacks to my Nexus 5X experience for a bit

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 2, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Never had a problem or long delay installing updates on my 7T. Weird

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wasn't sure where else to ask this:

I've got a dead Nokia 7.1 I need to get photos off of.

By "dead" I mean that the USB 3.0 charge port failed, so that the phone lost the ability to recharge. I took it to a local phone repair service and they were unable to get it working again, they are not entirely sure why. Apparently they replaced the port a few times and got it charging again, but the phone wouldn't turn on, so it's possible they bricked it. They didn't charge me anything, so I'm not going to pursue that any further.

Which leaves me with: On the phone's main memory, there were about a year and a half worth of photos that I seem to have forgotten to back up. For all I know, they're still in there, but I can't get to them. Is there any service y'all could recommend that I could send the phone to, and have them take a look at it? I understand it's probably going to be expensive, I'd be willing to go so far as to buy a donor phone off ebay and have the memory transplanted (if that's a thing that could even work.)

e: I'm not in a hurry, I've got a working phone now that has better specs than the Nokia and cost less.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 2, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Got my Pixel 4A 5G yesterday, and for the love of all things fuzzy I hate the new GUI. I want my triangle circle square back at the bottom of my screen like my Pixel 2XL. The worst part is trying to do the back swipe from the edge to the center, it interferes with swiping left or right on a series of pictures, or even just zooming and panning around. Is there an option in the GUI to revert this or do I just have to deal with it?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Not Wolverine posted:

Got my Pixel 4A 5G yesterday, and for the love of all things fuzzy I hate the new GUI. I want my triangle circle square back at the bottom of my screen like my Pixel 2XL. The worst part is trying to do the back swipe from the edge to the center, it interferes with swiping left or right on a series of pictures, or even just zooming and panning around. Is there an option in the GUI to revert this or do I just have to deal with it?
Settings > System > Gestures > System Navigation > 3-button navigation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Most apps have been built now for the gesture-based nav in mind now. For picture navigation, you'd just swipe from anywhere BUT the edge to move between pictures, swipe from the edge to go back to the last screen.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh how long should it take to install OS updates, I got my OnePlus 7T and charged it to full, I downloaded the Android update, and I hit Update Now.

It went to sleep and it's been a few minutes, it doesn't seem to respond to any presses or the power button... Also tried the extra-long press

Edit: Well I looked up how to hard reset and it didn't do anything while it was unplugged or plugged into my PC but it did once I plugged it into the power outlet... :confused:

Had trauma flashbacks to my Nexus 5X experience for a bit

Was it unplugged when you were doing your update? Don't some phones require your phone to be plugged in while updating? I know the 7t has high speed recharge and having it connected to a computer USB won't cut it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gesture nav owns, sorry.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nah tapping a button is better than doing interpretative dance w/ your thumb

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Git gud.

I hated it for a few months, tried all 3 ways to navigate for about a month and finally gave gesture nav an honest chance and winded up sticking with it.

On the plus side I can navigate my gf's newfangled iphone now.

Edit: backswipes out of the thread without lifting my finger from it's default scrolling position.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 2, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

big gesture fan here, thumb swipe from the right to go back is the best

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

Nah tapping a button is better than doing interpretative dance w/ your thumb

It's not hard nor complex and you will adjust to it in a few days. Try it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Doesn't seem to play nice with my Nova Launcher setup, not sure if I have legacy settings making things weird.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I didn't like OnePlus swipe gestures for the first week or two but after that it was totally natural and cool. They've had great swipe gestures from the beginning.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Was it unplugged when you were doing your update? Don't some phones require your phone to be plugged in while updating? I know the 7t has high speed recharge and having it connected to a computer USB won't cut it.

It was plugged into my PC when I started the update and then it went dark. I don't remember if it specifically said it had to be plugged directly into an outlet lol, but it didn't start up again until I had plugged it into an outlet and then did a hard reset. It was at 100% charge so it wasn't battery-related

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Doesn't seem to play nice with my Nova Launcher setup, not sure if I have legacy settings making things weird.

I avoided it for a long time, but it Just Works for me right now. *specifically with Nova.

The only thing that trips me up is that some apps (Awful) let you swipe to the left to go forward to the page you just left and I keep trying to do that using the system nav in the browser and just go back a second page.

Edit: added clarity

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 3, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Got the PlayStation buttons back on my phone. I think the biggest problem for me using gestures is I like to hold my phone sideways in landscape a lot, especially for reading websites, I like having fewer long lines of text. With gesture nav, the phone would put the swipe bar at the bottom below the spacebar when sideways, but 3 button nav has the nav buttons on the side when holding the phone sideways. Also, trying to swipe back with the keyboard up and sideways didn't work, my swipe across the screen simply registered as a swipe input for text me tried to spell a word k stead of going back. Maybe I can get around these issues, I guess the real flaw is me liking my phone in landscape instead of portrait mode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gesture nav owns, sorry.

Wow, have android phones finally caught up to the Palm Pre? That's awesome

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

:jerkbag:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm trying it and getting used to it fairly quickly. I like it actually. Thanks OP

Uthor posted:

The only thing that trips me up is that some apps (Awful) let you swipe to the left to go forward to the page you just left and I keep trying to do that using the system nav in the browser and just go back a second page.

Swipe from the edge and/or hold the gesture for a touch longer than a normal swipe if you want to go back.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 3, 2020

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

rip MeeGo too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

salt shakeup posted:

Swipe from the edge and/or hold the gesture for a touch longer than a normal swipe if you want to go back.

No, what I mean is that I want a "forward" action in the browser that is activated by the opposite gesture of the back action. The problem is that I swipe back from both edges depending on which hand I'm using, so good luck in having the system interpret my intention!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Uthor posted:

I avoided it for a long time, but it Just Works for me right now. *specifically with Nova.

Edit: added clarity

Just don't swipe from the edge when you want to go forward in awful. As long as you start your swipe a couple of millimeters away from the edge it'll do the same thing it did before