Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

I go through so much salt now as an adult. Holy poo poo, I was missing out!

lmao same

My folks basically keep a salt shaker in their house so I can use it on thanksgiving (not this year) and it just was super frowned-upon growing up but I am like a reverse slug who lives on salt now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

lmao same

My folks basically keep a salt shaker in their house so I can use it on thanksgiving (not this year) and it just was super frowned-upon growing up but I am like a reverse slug who lives on salt now
Do your loved ones ever wake up with mysterious circles on their faces?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My mom was actually a great cook by boomer standards but she also basically never used salt. It was a genuine epiphany when I realized there really was one big single reason that restaurant food tasted way better than my cooking.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

Do your loved ones ever wake up with mysterious circles on their faces?

No no no

Those are the salt vampires

I'm with the reverse slugs

Totally different organization

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Moon Monster posted:

My mom was actually a great cook by boomer standards but she also basically never used salt. It was a genuine epiphany when I realized there really was one big single reason that restaurant food tasted way better than my cooking.

I always thought my mom was a terrible cook until I started cooking, at which point I quickly learned she's actually a fine cook but her refusal to put salt in anything meant everything came out tasteless, undermining the technical merits of the rest of the preparation. In her case she's just got hypersensitive taste buds / sense of smell and I figure she's picking up things no one else is.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Moon Monster posted:

The other two are butter and vinegar.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I am deeply sorry to hear about all of you having to deal with completely unsalted food.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It took me until I moved out to really develop a taste for interesting and exciting foods, everything we had at home was of the simple meat-and-potatoes variety. But it was more of the "salt is acceptable, maaaaaaybe use one grain of black pepper...but no more" variety of seasoning, I hadn't realized there was a big unseasoning tier below that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You should never use salt in a restaurant because they've already salted the gently caress out of your food. No matter what you ordered. Salt is the secret ingredient in everything.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

We had a bottle of Tabasco sauce in the cupboard. My mother used three to five drops of it at a time.

When I last lived with my mom, maybe twelve or fifteen years ago, I had a bottle of chipotle Tabasco sauce. I left it behind when I moved out, and she's still using that same goddamn bottle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have an entire hot sauce collection. I’m completely immune to the heat aspect of hot sauces anymore. :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

RoboRodent posted:

We had a bottle of Tabasco sauce in the cupboard. My mother used three to five drops of it at a time.

When I last lived with my mom, maybe twelve or fifteen years ago, I had a bottle of chipotle Tabasco sauce. I left it behind when I moved out, and she's still using that same goddamn bottle.

Oh man, I'm not a huge fan of regular Tabasco, but I'll use chipotle Tabasco as food lube, I'd be through a bottle in a week.

My mom was a good cook growing up, she's even better now, but she stopped using salt when my dad was having heart problems, and she's continued not using salt now, which is fine for some things, I can hit it with the grinders on the table, but man, for soups particularly you NEED to salt it when cooking, it draws out all the flavors, soup with no salt is just insipid. My GF who obsessively watches cooking shows also does this, but for no good reason.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took me until I moved out to really develop a taste for interesting and exciting foods, everything we had at home was of the simple meat-and-potatoes variety. But it was more of the "salt is acceptable, maaaaaaybe use one grain of black pepper...but no more" variety of seasoning, I hadn't realized there was a big unseasoning tier below that.
When I was a kid, my dad would make "spicy mac & cheese" which was bowties in Velveeta with a few shakes of black pepper.

On the other hand, my husband grew up with actual spicy food and legitimately did not believe me when I told him people use black pepper to make things hotter. I had to pull up the Wiki page to prove it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

In the early 70s before I was born my Dad was diagnosed with some sort of kidney problems and was put on a salt free diet, and according to my parents it was totally salt free. My mum had to make special saltless bread apparently and my Dad was eating very simple bland food. Having no salt causes problems of its own so he was on all sorts of pills to manage that and probably was allowed a minuscule amount of salt every so often to stop him dying because your body needs some sodium to function, I can’t remember all the details.
Anyway this meant that my parents were so used to saltless food that I was brought up with barely any food being salted because even when my Dad came off the strict diet he really had to monitor his salt amount and even today he has to go for yearly checkups of his kidney function. H e gets drunk really easily too.
Eating salted food was a real revelation I can tell you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My family never had a problem with salt, but black pepper was deep in the cupboard and used only for certain dishes.

Folks, there’s a reason black pepper is on most tables. It’s legitimately a broadly applicable spice.

But it should always be freshly ground.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I genuinely adore black pepper, probably because we used so little salt, I would use loads of pepper instead.
Before chilies made their way to Asia, pepper was used as a hot spice for food and still gets used today. There’s a great Indian curry I love that is spiced with just peppercorns and a lot of Thai curries will throw in a kind of green peppercorn. Then you get Szechuan peppercorns which are a whole other level of hot and numbing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

When I was a kid, my dad would make "spicy mac & cheese" which was bowties in Velveeta with a few shakes of black pepper.

On the other hand, my husband grew up with actual spicy food and legitimately did not believe me when I told him people use black pepper to make things hotter. I had to pull up the Wiki page to prove it.

I have a couple of recipes that are legitimately hot from black pepper... but that's like grabbing the mortar&pestle because the grinder will take forever dosages of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are some other spices that have historically been used in lieu of black pepper that are quite good.

Piper longum (“long pepper”) is a relative of black pepper. It was the more common spice in Europe, brought via the silk road from India, before sea trade to the East Indies made the black pepper grown there more than competitive. It’s used in a lot of Indian dishes. I like it on avocado.

Aframomum melegueta is a relative of ginger, native to Africa. I find it goes well on savoury things. One of its common names is “grains of paradise”, which I think makes it sound like a designer drug.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/InsaneLetterbox/status/1333119379991621633?s=19

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zoig posted:

I am deeply sorry to hear about all of you having to deal with completely unsalted food.

I am baffled at how common this apparently is

It's salt, not an exotic spice imported from the Indies

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Salt has been demonized, but it's so delicious to us because we literally require it for life. In summer especially I'll just sit down with a bowl of salted radishes or edamame. Simple and so satisfying.

Man, I could go for that now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Salt gets a bad reputation for hypertension, but that affects a minority of the population.

A lot of people watching their salt intake are doing so unnecessarily.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Salt gets a bad reputation for hypertension, but that affects a minority of the population.

A lot of people watching their salt intake are doing so unnecessarily.

Yeah it was just old medical advice, hey we've noticed a correlation here better be careful

But we now know better. Salt is no danger to the vast majority of people unless they already have hypertension

But old habits and fears die hard

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I was prescribed dill pickles by a doctor once. I was in university chemistry and kept spilling acids because I have hand tremors, so I was given beta blockers to control it. But it lowers blood pressure, and mine has always been way below average due to POTS, so to prevent fainting in the lab I was told to eat a pickles or other high sodium foods on days I took my meds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I've ever had to worry about that as long as I've eaten Vegemite.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Something happened in the previous generation or two in America to demonize a few very specific things in food, such as salt and fat (literally 2 of the most important elements of flavor, lol). There are plenty of possible explanations I don't need to bother going into here, including "studies" that ranged from ill-informed to intentionally misleading. But the main takeaway seems to be that whatever genuine concerns there are about salt, fat, sugar, etc., they mostly apply to mass-produced foods on store shelves, rather than being something you need to obsess over in your own kitchen.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sir Lemming posted:

Something happened in the previous generation or two in America to demonize a few very specific things in food, such as salt and fat (literally 2 of the most important elements of flavor, lol). There are plenty of possible explanations I don't need to bother going into here, including "studies" that ranged from ill-informed to intentionally misleading. But the main takeaway seems to be that whatever genuine concerns there are about salt, fat, sugar, etc., they mostly apply to mass-produced foods on store shelves, rather than being something you need to obsess over in your own kitchen.

Americans like simple answers to complex problems so "One weird trick" always wins out over actually knowing things.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Funny you should mention sugar, as the sugar lobby paying to have studies done/interpreted a certain way is one of the main reasons we demonize fats and salt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has anyone demonised protein yet?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

Vegans

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

I'm always advocating a diet that consists solely of well-washed, unenriched white rice. It will end all your problems!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Original idea, do not steal because I’m going to sell this to the Pepsi company:

You’ve cut “empty calories” from your diet.

Now it’s time to cut “empty hydration”. Why drink something with no nutrition when you could drink Muscle Milk® with calcium to build strong bones and protein to build muscle? It’s got electrolytes.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I keep getting these ads when I’m browsing on mobile devices and they look so hilariously bad:

Also re:salt and sugar demonizing, it is so tedious to hear my coworkers talk about how they cooked but it wasn’t very good because they didn’t add any salt. “Oh, I never add salt when I cook.” Good for you, I guess? “I’m quitting sugar!” Oh jesus christ stop

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Lone Badger posted:

I have a couple of recipes that are legitimately hot from black pepper... but that's like grabbing the mortar&pestle because the grinder will take forever dosages of it.

I'm making an Italian peppercorn beef pot roast today. It has enough black pepper to be spicy, also delicious. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/261791/peposa-dellimpruneta-tuscan-black-pepper-beef/

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

YOUR KIDNEYS WILL EXPLODE

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

lol

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

HOLY gently caress posted:

I keep getting these ads when I’m browsing on mobile devices and they look so hilariously bad:

Also re:salt and sugar demonizing, it is so tedious to hear my coworkers talk about how they cooked but it wasn’t very good because they didn’t add any salt. “Oh, I never add salt when I cook.” Good for you, I guess? “I’m quitting sugar!” Oh jesus christ stop

Ohmygod I get these too. The top one makes me cringe every time because it's really hard for me not to parse the pattern as the guy having like a really deformed, tiny torso

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The holey shirt shows up in my feed as red instead of blue, and I hate it because it looks so much like a hallucination I had back in 2016 lmao

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

sweeperbravo posted:

Ohmygod I get these too. The top one makes me cringe every time because it's really hard for me not to parse the pattern as the guy having like a really deformed, tiny torso

It's slimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm assuming that's the point.

Now, why you'd want this, I don't know.