Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Fun fact: media at the time unironically praising NARC for its "anti-drug message" made Eugene Jarvis consider not designing games anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dip Viscous posted:

Fun fact: media at the time unironically praising NARC for its "anti-drug message" made Eugene Jarvis consider not designing games anymore.

ROBOCOP promotes acceptance of police in children, good for family values, say boosters!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I remember playing a game, I believe it was the demo, around 10-15 years ago (very rough timeframe). You were this little spaceship-looking shooter, and you could rotate within the edges of a round playfield. There was no depth to the playfield (not like that one shooter), but instead you shot what was like, germs or organisms inside basically a petri dish. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I tried a few keyword searches but I'm getting flash games and irrelevant results more than anything useful

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sounds like an Asteroids clone of some sort, maybe that might help?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I remember playing a game, I believe it was the demo, around 10-15 years ago (very rough timeframe). You were this little spaceship-looking shooter, and you could rotate within the edges of a round playfield. There was no depth to the playfield (not like that one shooter), but instead you shot what was like, germs or organisms inside basically a petri dish. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I tried a few keyword searches but I'm getting flash games and irrelevant results more than anything useful

Like Tempest, but you didn't move the ship around but had a fixed gun and rotated the dish instead? That definitely wasn't a flash game. I think I still have it somewhere.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Like Tempest, but you didn't move the ship around but had a fixed gun and rotated the dish instead? That definitely wasn't a flash game. I think I still have it somewhere.

Yeah vaguely like Tempest, view-wise, but there wasn't any depth to it. I'm pretty sure you rotated the ship around the dish itself, but I could be wrong, I think I only ever played the demo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Serperoth posted:

I don't know about the germ thing, but this is basically the gameplay of Gyruss.

Edit: you probably meant Gyruss by your mention of "that one shooter", sorry.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 23, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dip Viscous posted:

When you beat NARC, it says "Contact your local DEA recruiter!!!" in a sort of Last Starfighter-ish way. Wonder if anyone actually did :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gynovore posted:

When you beat NARC, it says "Contact your local DEA recruiter!!!" in a sort of Last Starfighter-ish way. Wonder if anyone actually did :)

Beat NARC or ring up the DEA? :razz:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serperoth posted:

Long shot but Spheres of Chaos?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Splicer posted:

Long shot but Spheres of Chaos?
drat but that game deserves its name. I have no idea how you could play that without getting an epileptic seizure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh and timeframe is badly off but P-3 Biotic

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

Oh and timeframe is badly off but P-3 Biotic

P-3 Biotic is the closest, and it came up in my search, but it definitely wasn't as flashy (and it definitely was before 2016). I drew up a small mockup of sorts of what I remember:

Your ship (black triangle) would move around the perimeter (grey ring) and shoot inside the petri dish, to the germs or microbes (blue). I recall an upgrade that let you get a second shooter on the opposite end so they'd rotate together, and maybe the game has Doctor in the title? Definitely not Spheres of Chaos, you very specifically were attached to the rim of the petri dish.

Well drat I found it, it was Dr. Blob's Organism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNcul4DJiM

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Well drat I found it, it was Dr. Blob's Organism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNcul4DJiM
Motherfucker, I specifically searched for blob and didn't found it. Great job!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Motherfucker, I specifically searched for blob and didn't found it. Great job!

If it's any consolation, it's free now. A 600 MHz or better processor is recommended, and 32M of hard drive space: http://www.digital-eel.com/organism/

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serperoth posted:

If it's any consolation, it's free now. A 600 MHz or better processor is recommended, and 32M of hard drive space: http://www.digital-eel.com/organism/

Sorry, can't handle that. The rampant specs bloat is loving bullshit.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 23, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gynovore posted:

Sounds somewhat like NARC, although not exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgyjEgnxo0
Def not it. The whole "one is black, one is white, they're both wearing suits and have weirdly square haircuts" things is the only part I'm sure of.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Posting this in the event that you're mixing up two different games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgB-7HEly4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Joe Man posted:

Posting this in the event that you're mixing up two different games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgB-7HEly4

Man, I loved this game so much.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A game full of robots where all the robots are immortal because they're backed up to a central server, and a single human shows up. Suddenly robots start dying with their backups being deleted and the human is blamed. I recall that one of the gameplay mechanics was that you could take over another robot's body.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

khy posted:

A game full of robots where all the robots are immortal because they're backed up to a central server, and a single human shows up. Suddenly robots start dying with their backups being deleted and the human is blamed. I recall that one of the gameplay mechanics was that you could take over another robot's body.

Sounds like Scrapland to me.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Ok, let's try this:
Point&Click Adventure which was branded from a Sparkasse or maybe Volksbank from Germany. I remember it was definitely from a bank. You were some dude (with a red cape? maybe you were some super hero) who went into a computer and had to collect bits or bytes which were little round creatures. I played it around 1996. I searched every archive about old adventure games I could find and a lot of lists, but it never came up.
My only hope is that the game wasn't made by the bank and just some advertisement thing that banks could slap their logo onto, giving it a chance to have appeared in the Americas.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

RabbitWizard posted:

Ok, let's try this:
Point&Click Adventure which was branded from a Sparkasse or maybe Volksbank from Germany. I remember it was definitely from a bank. You were some dude (with a red cape? maybe you were some super hero) who went into a computer and had to collect bits or bytes which were little round creatures. I played it around 1996. I searched every archive about old adventure games I could find and a lot of lists, but it never came up.
My only hope is that the game wasn't made by the bank and just some advertisement thing that banks could slap their logo onto, giving it a chance to have appeared in the Americas.
This might be Captain Zins.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Definitely Captain Zins, yes. It was a free advertisement game, which is something that was weirdly popular for a while during the nineties. The Bifi game that had you go through movie sets and investigate something or other was also good.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Cardiovorax posted:

Definitely Captain Zins, yes. It was a free advertisement game, which is something that was weirdly popular for a while during the nineties. The Bifi game that had you go through movie sets and investigate something or other was also good.

:stare: Yes. My god, this was bothering me for months and I thought no one here would know about it. This loving thread.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cardiovorax posted:

It was a free advertisement game, which is something that was weirdly popular for a while during the nineties.

Gonna post this in case any 90s kids missed it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/804270/Chex_Quest_HD/

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Chex Quest was so good. I was too young to ever get into Doom but the Win95 computer I inherited for my bedroom could run Chex Quest and it somehow held my attention for a couple dozen hours?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Flash game, visually very much in the style of Binding of Isaac (made a few years earlier than BoI IIRC), to the point that I'm wondering if it wasn't made by the same guy. You played some kind of a dead bird (vulture?) fetus.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 4, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Flash game, visually very much in the style of Binding of Isaac (made a few years earlier than BoI IIRC), to the point that I'm wondering if it wasn't made by the same guy. You played some kind of a dead bird (vulture?) fetus.

Carious Weltling

it is the same guy if that's the right one

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Carious Weltling
MOTHERFUCKER! I can already tell by the name, yes it is what I was thinking about. Thanks a bunch.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Not quite a game, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

In the early 90s, we had a disk with a program presenting information on planets and stars, called either orbit.exe or orbits.exe. We ran it on a Windows 3.1 machine, but I think it was a pure DOS application. Visually I think it used 256 colors, but I might be remembering it as more vibrant than it actually was.

It had a lot of animations for various phenomena, including: solar eclipse, lunar eclipse, how big the sun will get in its red giant stage, etc. There were also animated (by color cycling) background images in the menus - I particulary remember a cross-section of the sun with some rotating circles inside. The main menu for every subject had an option called "Solar shuffle", which would scramble the background image and let you put it back together (I donæt think it was a sliding block puzzle, you just swapped pieces with each other).

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYTt3fWsMs

There was a lot of stuff like that, but I remember that one showing up more than once on the 90s shovelware CD-ROMs I got as a kid where 40% of it was outright warez.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hate that I'm gonna have to ask about this, and I hate that it's extremely vague. In fact, I may be combining multiple games, or dreaming or hallucinating some of it. Nevertheless, here we go:

A game that had some kind of enemy faction, possibly a cult, holed up in a foundry. It was a large, plain white building, with rubble strewn around it. There was a boss fight or something similar on a circular metal walkway around an open thing of molten whatever. Possibly (probably?) a fallout or borderlands game. PC.

part of my brain that is being unhelpful is insisting it's actually world of warcraft, but I doubt it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That sounds like the Forged from Fallout 4. They're a weird cult that lives in the Saugus Ironworks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

packetmantis posted:

That sounds like the Forged from Fallout 4. They're a weird cult that lives in the Saugus Ironworks.

That's totally it, thanks.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYTt3fWsMs

There was a lot of stuff like that, but I remember that one showing up more than once on the 90s shovelware CD-ROMs I got as a kid where 40% of it was outright warez.

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Trying to remember the name of a flash game:

Remember it was black and white, had cats, and was as sidescroller. Also, I don't think it was American in origin and I played it on Newgrounds, I think.

The only thing I've been able to find is a similar post on reddit that's 4 years old with no replies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FlashGames/comments/4xfpc2/catmouse_gangster_side_scroller/

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

This was literally the very first thing I ever 'played' on my own PC (second thing was Wolfenstein 3D). I especially loved how you could drop eggs on the various planets to test gravity.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

Trying to remember the name of a flash game:

Remember it was black and white, had cats, and was as sidescroller. Also, I don't think it was American in origin and I played it on Newgrounds, I think.

The only thing I've been able to find is a similar post on reddit that's 4 years old with no replies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FlashGames/comments/4xfpc2/catmouse_gangster_side_scroller/

I think you may be thinking of Battle Cats (I think I have it on my old phone I'll check in the morning)
Where you spawn minimal-animé style cats and fight an enemy base which also spawns similar cars? Can't check your link now to confirm if it's like they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Driving game, fairly recent I think. I only saw a video of it, there's no real road just a whole bunch of loops and ramps and things floating in space. I don't have the video anymore sadly