Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Doccykins posted:

- What set should I be aiming for to start off with to replace my mostly rare-with-a-few-legendaries equipment? I can see there's a generic +250 all stats one but that seems a bit plain
- It's now easy enough to look at upping the difficulty again but how many Torments do people normally jump before you get stuck grinding one mob for 5 minutes? (I know 'just try it and lower if it's too difficult' but are there certain sweet spots where the return is worth the grind?)
- How do the blood shard vendor / Kenai's cube recipes actually work to get decent results? Do you sacrifice some lower level kit kept in your stash instead of selling/salvaging it? Have had a go at the blood shard gambling but the kit I generally get out of it is rare and buffs my stats lower than what I've found on dungeon floors.
- I've got a couple of the infernal machines for the dungeon in New Tristram, saw a guide that says wait until you get 4 before running the dungeon, what's with that?

Any 6 piece class sets are fine, but the easiest for progress are Shadow and Unhallowed Essence probably. If you're playing seasonal character, you get one set for free for completing the season objectives, you can check them with shift+J.

Generally you want to play at least torment I since the class sets won't drop on lower difficulties. Torment I and beyond have all the loot unlocked. Dont worry about increasing it until you can easily clear everything. It's better to do two 3 minute rifts on lower difficulty than one 6 minute one on higher.

Blood shards can only be used on Kadala so go nuts and buy each slot until you have a legendary or set item for your build. Weapons and rings and such are generally too expensive and have too many options to be a good choice, stick to the 25 blood shard cost items for now. Try to gather death's breaths and check out the upgrade rare item recipe in the cube, you can usually get a good weapon by upgrading rare weapons.

Infernal machines have 4 different bosses you kill and the recipes to use the loots require all 4 of them.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

^^ :arghfist: ^^

Doccykins posted:

- What set should I be aiming for to start off with to replace my mostly rare-with-a-few-legendaries equipment? I can see there's a generic +250 all stats one but that seems a bit plain

Aim for the seasonal set first, if you want to play a different build farm it from there.

Doccykins posted:

- It's now easy enough to look at upping the difficulty again but how many Torments do people normally jump before you get stuck grinding one mob for 5 minutes? (I know 'just try it and lower if it's too difficult' but are there certain sweet spots where the return is worth the grind?)

You mentioned you haven't done rifts, but in general the rule of thumb is if you're running over 3-4 minutes per rift the difficulty is too high.

Doccykins posted:

- How do the blood shard vendor / Kenai's cube recipes actually work to get decent results? Do you sacrifice some lower level kit kept in your stash instead of selling/salvaging it? Have had a go at the blood shard gambling but the kit I generally get out of it is rare and buffs my stats lower than what I've found on dungeon floors.

Blood shards are effectively additional drops of that type. Most of the results will be rare and should be destroyed like any other rare drop. Cube recipes are more complex, but there's plenty of wiki pages on that.

Doccykins posted:

- I've got a couple of the infernal machines for the dungeon in New Tristram, saw a guide that says wait until you get 4 before running the dungeon, what's with that?

It doesn't matter. There are four dungeons of the same type, and you need them all to craft jewelry that's useful for some builds. And a requirement for the seasonal journey.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 30, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Great, thanks for the info both!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doccykins posted:

I've just finished the tutorialcampaign and unlocked adventure mode, got Kenai's Cube and run though one set of adventure mode challenges to get a first hit of the new crafting materials. Running on Torment I atm with a L70 Paragon 58 Demon Hunter

(I haven't done any rifts yet either, just excited that I can finally start playing the game 'properly' :) )

Are you on seasonal? If not, switch to seasonal and relevel to 70 (guide posted a few posts up). Seasonal has a journey that gives you various tasks to do like "kill the skeleton king on torment 1" or "do a rift." Following along those gives you a full set of gear. That set will direct you what to look for when it comes to other gear.

Kadalas sort of a pity prize for rifting. Each rift you beat gives a pile of blood shards you can use to maybe get a piece of armor. Quite useful for legendaries with special properties that support your sets. Stick to only stuff that gambles for 25 shards and maybe rings if you run out of stuff to gamble for.

With the cube, you can equip the special property of any legendary you break in it. You get to pick one weapon, one armor, and one jewelry slot. Plus a 4th random bonus slot this season. Other cube recipes include rerolling legendaries/sets (later to get ancient weapons mostly), converting mats/gems, and upgrading rares. You can upgrade a rare bow into a random legendary bow for instance. Good for amulets too if your set needs an amazing amulet.

For difficulty, pick the level that a) you don't get chumped by a single archer skeleton and b) you move at a pace you like. If you're blowing through rifts in a few minutes consider jumping up a few levels.

Each different infernal machine opens up a special boss that has a distinct mat for hellfire amulets (and rings if you're leveling other classes). You need one of each to craft the amulet so might as well open all four machines at once.

Edit: it appears there are many of us here to help at 230am PST.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

bamhand posted:

Too clarify though, almost all skills trigger area damage. This includes single target skills. The main ones that do not are stuff like damage over time abilities and maybe some set bonuses.

I'm playing a Witch Doctor(ess?) character, and throwing skulls also add AoD effect, I think I understand now - I was mostly mystified if it's something completely seperate from my actuall skillset, for some reason. Thanks again:)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Area Damage tends to have the most significant impact on skills that already do a lot of area damage, i.e. most Witch Doctor builds. You might look at something like Shadow DH or Frenzy Barb and think "wow, AOE damage must really make those specs totally own," but no, not really! Since the % chance to trigger is always fixed and the splash area is quite small, builds that already hit a lot of bad guys at once receive the most benefit and destroy your party's framerate.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I'm over P300 now and still no Necro Amulet.

This is with gambling every blood shard this season on amulets, and all of my DBs going to upgrading rares, and still no luck. Gonna keep going but it sucks that I can't progress any further or utilize the full potential of this set without this one drat piece.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Also there is a link in the OP that will be really useful for you.

Bust Rodd posted:

:siren::siren::siren: NEW & RETURNING PLAYERS :siren::siren::siren:
~The talented community pillar WolfCryer has created a series of newbie friendly guides to help explain the myriad game systems present in Diablo 3, these are also perfect for returning players who might be lost with all the new game mechanics.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Almost level 70 with a bunch of a paragon levels I'm not clearing rifts in under 5 minutes, should I just keep churning at it? I'm only on "Hard," and obviously want to up it. I could probably do one more level and not take any chance of dying, but will still clear a bit slower - and my understanding is there's not a huge jump until T1

I'm using pretty standard blessed hammer damage on my crusader with an additional damage dealer instead of a Steed Charge because I never die.

Bounties seem fun, it's a shame they are inferior to rifts for XP and leveling. Feel like I'm missing the sense of power I had. For reference before I stopped playing on 60 I was definitely doing Torment and I think the game is a bit easier on Console but I was doing rifts too on at least T1 on PS4

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 30, 2020

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

McLarenF1 posted:

They are dying because they are self sacrificing and keeping you from dying because of the rune you chose. It's easy not to notice with all the craziness on the screen. Then you lose the damage split, and then you die. Remember the damage split is only valid when you have a cursed enemy on screen, so try spamming that more often. It sounds weird, but you may need to raise your greater rift level too, because of it's too low, enemies might die too quickly depriving you of this damage reducer. Ideally you want enemies dying in a few hits not one shot.

I definitely have the reservoir rune chosen. Not the sacrifice one. Unless there is some other mechanic I'm not understanding?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Maxroll.gg is a really great website made by the top streamers for D3. I realize it's 2020 and we're talking about a decade old game, but it's the first website with a ton of information that I go back to a lot. The website just came out, so all the guides are up to date and used by the "top" groups to push solo and group GRs. Svr, wudijo, rob, raxx and a bunch of other streamers wrote guides for the website for each class after having done a lot of PTR testing so casuals like me don't have to do anything.

They have various guides to get you to lv 70 in solo/groups with traditional/s22 (clone levelling) for each class if you can't get a power level.

After lv 70, they have guides on how to work on your seasonal journey so you can collect your haedrig gift set (unless you're necro, where you're almost better off going straight to LoD mages by doing 2 greater rifts to get the LoD gem).

If you're on PC, I highly highly recommend looking into getting some kind of support barb/support necro build going. There's a couple of us that play "metas" which this season is 2 necro dps, necro support and barb support. For the most part I'll ask in LLJK community before trying in clan/community to fill out the party. We are doing GR 115+ rat runs in ~2 minutes, so collect many keys and get paragon. It's a lot easier to gear up alts when you're P1000+ with a bunch of mats and high level gems.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

bus hustler posted:

Almost level 70 with a bunch of a paragon levels I'm not clearing rifts in under 5 minutes, should I just keep churning at it? I'm only on "Hard," and obviously want to up it. I could probably do one more level and not take any chance of dying, but will still clear a bit slower - and my understanding is there's not a huge jump until T1

I'm using pretty standard blessed hammer damage on my crusader with an additional damage dealer instead of a Steed Charge because I never die.

Bounties seem fun, it's a shame they are inferior to rifts for XP and leveling. Feel like I'm missing the sense of power I had. For reference before I stopped playing on 60 I was definitely doing Torment and I think the game is a bit easier on Console but I was doing rifts too on at least T1 on PS4

Have you done the "quest" to acquire Kanai's cube? Prioritize this if you haven't by level 70.

The cube recipes can quickly grow your power by crafting legendaries and converting duplicate set items. For example, every 25 Death Breath you can upgrade a rare flail/two-handed flail into a guaranteed legendary and many of those have powerful damage effects.

Edit: A common strategy to cheese the early game is to craft a level 70 legendary using the cube and extract the legendary power to bypass the level requirements while still utilizing the legendary text.

Kaustik fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 30, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mormon Mother posted:

Are you on console? Equipping a potion on PC removes it from your inventory

Switch, yeah.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

bamhand posted:

I definitely have the reservoir rune chosen. Not the sacrifice one. Unless there is some other mechanic I'm not understanding?

The set bonus gives you all of the runes for Simulacrum, regardless of which one you choose on your bar.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is the frenzy barb playstyle really just mashing m1 constantly?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Kaustik posted:

Have you done the "quest" to acquire Kanai's cube? Prioritize this if you haven't by level 70.

The cube recipes can quickly grow your power by crafting legendaries and converting duplicate set items. For example, every 25 Death Breath you can upgrade a rare flail/two-handed flail into a guaranteed legendary and many of those have powerful damage effects.

Edit: A common strategy to cheese the early game is to craft a level 70 legendary using the cube and extract the legendary power to bypass the level requirements while still utilizing the legendary text.

Not yet. It definitely feels like they rebalanced the game around the new mechanics - which is 100% totally fine, I'm just getting used to it.

How does the cube work? I get that you can extract things and they are level free, but how do you use them? Is the cube itself an item? A buff? (edit: can you get the cube on normal?)

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 30, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Wonder Weapon posted:

No.

You just hold the button down.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

bus hustler posted:

Not yet. It definitely feels like they rebalanced the game around the new mechanics - which is 100% totally fine, I'm just getting used to it.

How does the cube work? I get that you can extract things and they are level free, but how do you use them? Is the cube itself an item? A buff?

There's a cube in the act 1, 2, 3/4, and 5 hubs where you can interact with the cube. There's a few powers like
- Upgrade rare to legendary
- Turn a set item into another piece of the same set
- Re-roll legendary
- Change crafting materials into another type
- Extract legendary power

The last is the most important. You can stick a legendary into it and "extract" the powers of the item. It will destroy the item but there's a spot to equip a weapon, armor, or jewelry power (and this season a 4th slot that can be any of those slots). You can switch them out anytime you are in town and are saved in the quick switch closet. The extracted legendaries are always at the highest value they can roll, EX: increase X by 50-100% will always be 100% in the cube. Also, it works on low level legendaries too if you found some while leveling.

Also, you should be playing in the season if you aren't

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've been mucking around with this the last day or two to do some solo rifting. Frenzy barb's fun. I found & slapped a Messerschmidt's Reaver in the cube and went to work. Took me a few rifts before realizing that hitting any button besides A (I play on Switch) is a waste of time and the Messer~ cooldown reduction. I use Furious Charge every 8-10 seconds for 80% dmg reduction and basically keep Wrath of the Berserker/Insanity on constantly since the cooldown gets blasted down to nothing. A++ would recommend

I've also got a little side support barb thing going since I mostly play co-op with the missus. Furious charge -> ground pound into furious charge -> ancient spear/harpoon and I've created hopefully two big clumps of enemies for her to snipe with the necro sim bone spear. Throw in War Cry with the 40% party wide speed bonus and Ignore Pain with the extra 5 seconds of 50/25% dmg reduction belt and the ridiculous Furious Charge set that freezes everything & refunds its cooldown like instantly and... it's a lot of fun doing no damage and just setting up entire rifts full of enemies.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

gariig posted:

There's a cube in the act 1, 2, 3/4, and 5 hubs where you can interact with the cube. There's a few powers like
- Upgrade rare to legendary
- Turn a set item into another piece of the same set
- Re-roll legendary
- Change crafting materials into another type
- Extract legendary power

The last is the most important. You can stick a legendary into it and "extract" the powers of the item. It will destroy the item but there's a spot to equip a weapon, armor, or jewelry power (and this season a 4th slot that can be any of those slots). You can switch them out anytime you are in town and are saved in the quick switch closet. The extracted legendaries are always at the highest value they can roll, EX: increase X by 50-100% will always be 100% in the cube. Also, it works on low level legendaries too if you found some while leveling.

Also, you should be playing in the season if you aren't

I do not have a level 70 character so the Challenge Rift isn't available to me. I'm getting to 70 via regular rifts on my Crusader first.

edit: Also i bought the Necro expansion with my last Blizzbux from the RMAH, god i miss that thing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The RMAH was undoubtedly bad for the game but undeniably good for me by helping to pay my heating bills during the winter.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

No.

You just hold the button down.

Oh, you don't bind it to m1. Got it.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

WarMECH posted:

I'm over P300 now and still no Necro Amulet.

This is with gambling every blood shard this season on amulets, and all of my DBs going to upgrading rares, and still no luck. Gonna keep going but it sucks that I can't progress any further or utilize the full potential of this set without this one drat piece.
Yea just pray to RNGesus and keep grinding. It took me to around P300ish to get it. If you're on PlayStation I'm happy to help you farm it at higher GRs with better drop rates, I'm at P790 and running GR95 in about 3 mins. PSN below.

bus hustler posted:

Happy to help boost you through some greater rifts, my PSN is SirAnkie, hit me up.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i'm on PC but thank you! I did get my crusader to 70 & finish a greater rift - so now I can play seasonal. I may take some folks up in the discord on PL some seasonal chars, no real point in leveling again.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You can just ask in the LLJK community in game and someone in channel will likely help.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I just need to finish a gr55 with a sixth set equipped to complete the seasons journey so I rolled a DH as a second character and gambled until I got a complete set, which was nat's.

Holy poo poo that set sucks major balls. Having walked through gr55s with every necro set (although trag ouls did struggle a little) I basically had to abort.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Nat's plays almost the same as GoD except you don't run as fast. What was the problem?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How the gently caress do these demon hunters even pick up anything they’re clearing a whole map faster than it takes me to loot the first couple of elites they killed 30 seconds ago.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

McLarenF1 posted:

The rotation I'm using is curse to group a bunch of enemies which are clumped together with Briggs, bone armor to stun, grim scythe to get max essences in one or two swings, blood rush away, turn around and bone spear clumped enemies (hopefully timed with appropriate convention of elements cycle) to kill them in one or two more hits.

If you're in non-speed runs with this, just don't use spear outside of poison other than a shot or two at a little trash in your COE physical to spawn oculus, and save bone armor for right at the start of poison. Use your cold to refill essence with scythe, use your physical to set up positioning for you and the mobs and proc an occy. This leaves as much trash as possible to pile into a pull so you can maximize area damage on elites.

edit:

exquisite tea posted:

Area Damage tends to have the most significant impact on skills that already do a lot of area damage, i.e. most Witch Doctor builds. You might look at something like Shadow DH or Frenzy Barb and think "wow, AOE damage must really make those specs totally own," but no, not really! Since the % chance to trigger is always fixed and the splash area is quite small, builds that already hit a lot of bad guys at once receive the most benefit and destroy your party's framerate.

Area damage is forbidden for witch doctors in high-GR groups because area damage calcs on Locust Swarm will lock a game up, but the Barber/Gazing Demise interaction for Spirit Barrage-Phantasm sure does a fine job abusing mob density without AD on gear or paragons.

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 1, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm surprised icy veins & maxroll.gg aren't updating the Masquerade Burning Spears build with Captian Crimson's boots & belt since they give so much extra resource cost reduction & damage mitigation at only the cost of taking Brigg's Wrath out. The updated build's topping the charts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Is lazystorm still a thing? Rather, I guess, is there a better speed build for necro besides bone spear with but with avarice? Love me some zipping through t16 rifts lazily farming mats and keys.

Always the whirly barb if I need maximum chill.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I've run into an interesting situation - got a primal Reilena's Shadowhook. It blows my non-ancient Scythe of the Cycle/Lost Time out of the water, but is there a good way to know when it's time to switch back to the one handed weapon?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How the gently caress do these demon hunters even pick up anything they’re clearing a whole map faster than it takes me to loot the first couple of elites they killed 30 seconds ago.

I've been wondering this about the fastest of fast builds for years now. Some of these people tear though everything so fast I don't see how they're looting anything save maybe the RG. Which I guess is fine if all you need is keys, but it's weird to me.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

2 of my 3 primals this season have been scoundrel tokens, not even a usable one

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm surprised icy veins & maxroll.gg aren't updating the Masquerade Burning Spears build with Captian Crimson's boots & belt since they give so much extra resource cost reduction & damage mitigation at only the cost of taking Brigg's Wrath out. The updated build's topping the charts.
That's really surprising considering the loss of area damage procs, but I guess it makes the rotation easier to manage. I'm have to give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mustached Demon posted:

Is lazystorm still a thing? Rather, I guess, is there a better speed build for necro besides bone spear with but with avarice? Love me some zipping through t16 rifts lazily farming mats and keys.

Always the whirly barb if I need maximum chill.

Yes it just has a lower ceiling than other builds. IIRC they buffed it slightly recently though but I seem to remember it slowing down around gr70. Extra cube slot will help massively this season though.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Thanks to a goon, PLed my Seasonal Wizard and I'm 70, have 80 paragon levels & am working on Chapter 4 of the Seasonal Journey.

Quite a big jump in difficulty IMO from "beat Diablo on Master" and do some bounties on master to "solo a level 20 rift"

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Finally got the Necro amulet to drop last night at around P350 and immediately jumped from barely surviving GR35 to facerolling GR60 in under 3 minutes.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

I've been wondering this about the fastest of fast builds for years now. Some of these people tear though everything so fast I don't see how they're looting anything save maybe the RG. Which I guess is fine if all you need is keys, but it's weird to me.

If you treat the town as lava and spam GRs such that you are getting close to 20 GRs an hour and are salvaging everything that drops at the end of the GR and then also do the same thing when farming keys you end up with a lot of mats. Like. A lot.

Last season I pretty quickly built up a stockpile of close to 30k mats for white/blue/yellow even while building out some alts. Speed is king in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

bus hustler posted:

Thanks to a goon, PLed my Seasonal Wizard and I'm 70, have 80 paragon levels & am working on Chapter 4 of the Seasonal Journey.

Quite a big jump in difficulty IMO from "beat Diablo on Master" and do some bounties on master to "solo a level 20 rift"

do bounties until you get Captain Crimson's Trimmings and RoRG, then enjoy.

RoRG is primarily an act 1 bounty drop iirc (act 5 drops are a mix of 1-4), don't remember if Trimmings is act specific but you'll get the recipe eventually.