Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Bought a LG27NG850 on black friday. Corners are only very slightly darker on mine, and it's not really noticeable unless you're displaying a uniform color across the whole screen. Might help that my room is pretty dark, so I can run it at low brightness.

I had originally wanted to replace my entire 9 year old desktop, but the latest gen CPU and GPUs are out of stock everywhere, and I refuse to pay inflated prices for old hardware. Guess I'll have to stick it out for a few more months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

What is the difference between the LG 27GL850 and 27GN850 ?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A friend of mine picked one of these Samsung ultrawides as a Cyber Monday deal and is trying to convince me to get one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Doub...751&sr=8-1&th=1

I have an old 1060 in my machine with no way in the near future to upgrade so I think such a monitor would be very excessive. I don't know a lot about monitors but are ultrawides like this a common thing? I feel like it's more of a flex than anything.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Booyah- posted:

Oddly enough - a decent answer in the questions section of a Best Buy page...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...i-black/6401809

2020 model vs. 2019. No USB hub.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Cool, so it's probably just the same panel rebranded. That USB hub is unrelated to the actual function of the display right?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SettingSun posted:

A friend of mine picked one of these Samsung ultrawides as a Cyber Monday deal and is trying to convince me to get one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Doub...751&sr=8-1&th=1

I have an old 1060 in my machine with no way in the near future to upgrade so I think such a monitor would be very excessive. I don't know a lot about monitors but are ultrawides like this a common thing? I feel like it's more of a flex than anything.

It’s basically a pair of 27” 1440p monitors stuck together, only without the bezels in the center, which is a common enough config.

My SO has one for work, and for what she does (video editing) it’s incredibly useful since you get bigger preview windows and a much bigger chunk of your edit timeline on screen at once. Even for Excel or Word, it can be useful since you can fit a bunch of documents at the same time. So for productivity uses it can actually be really helpful.

(No idea on how it performs for gaming.)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

SettingSun posted:

If something like that interests you, spend the extra $200 for an LG with the IPS panel (that panel is a VA) . I have a 21:9 monitor and I like the form factor, but if I step up it will be a 4k 48" OLED, not a 32:9 monitor.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I hadn't thought of it as two smaller monitors mashed together and it that sense I see the appeal. Good tip on the IPS possibility too. In the offchance I can get a GPU upgrade I'll definitely take a look at one of these.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Those of you with 27" monitors, how close to them do you sit?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

About arm's length

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GreenBuckanneer posted:

About arm's length

Same, plus maybe another 3-4".

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

Outstretched arm in front of me, tip of fingers almost touches the screen.

Significantly further away than the old CRT days, if only because there's actually more room on the desk to move the monitor further back.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dang I don't know how you all do it. I'm on a 24.5" on a desk not even 2 feet deep and I sit outstretched arm plus a couple of inches, don't have t-rex arms, and sometimes I still feel it's too big, especially when playing fast shooters; I can't really see the whole screen at once. For work though I can totally see how 27 would be good. Even right now I'm loving the upgrade from either a 20" 1680x1050 or my 15" laptop monitor for doing things side-by-side.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Dang I don't know how you all do it.

Screen size, like refresh rate, is one of those "you don't really see why you'd need it until you have it and then you never want to go back" sort of things for a lot of people.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dang I don't know how you all do it. I'm on a 24.5" on a desk not even 2 feet deep and I sit outstretched arm plus a couple of inches, don't have t-rex arms, and sometimes I still feel it's too big, especially when playing fast shooters; I can't really see the whole screen at once. For work though I can totally see how 27 would be good. Even right now I'm loving the upgrade from either a 20" 1680x1050 or my 15" laptop monitor for doing things side-by-side.

I asked because the commonly recommend distance seemed too close for me. I definitely like this size, but I'm certainly having to adjust. Part of it might be that I need to turn up the brightness to get an image more in line with my expectations. I turn it down when browsing/reading/writing. First day I set it up I got a headache. That's been steadily getting better day by day but using the LG is still more tiring than my previous monitor*.

*144Hz gaming does seem better for eyestrain, but I can't use it many games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The browser window I am typing this into is bigger than 1920 x 1080, and I still have space to spare. It really is a big upgrade in terms of screen real estate.

I'm good with 27" for gaming, too, but I can see that as a subjective thing with individual differences in comfortable field of view and such.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I asked because the commonly recommend distance seemed too close for me. I definitely like this size, but I'm certainly having to adjust. Part of it might be that I need to turn up the brightness to get an image more in line with my expectations. I turn it down when browsing/reading/writing. First day I set it up I got a headache. That's been steadily getting better day by day but using the LG is still more tiring than my previous monitor*.

*144Hz gaming does seem better for eyestrain, but I can't use it many games.

Have you tried anything like f.lux or the Windows 10 night mode? I've found that turning down the color temperature at night feels a lot more comfortable, and I've adjusted to my screen being warmer tones at night.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I keep my 38 inch ultrawide about arms reach for me. If you don't use a monitor arm that's easily adjustable, I highly recommend it. It lets you adjust it as you adjust your seating or stand-up desk. I'll say it is probably one of the best additions to my set up. Being able to easily move the monitor into the proper position is just perfect. Depending on what I'm doing, exactly what type of game I'm playing, having the monitor in the correct position is just the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I've been using it for years. It helps a ton. (my comments about contrast ratio were made with it off)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I've been using it for years. It helps a ton. (my comments about contrast ratio were made with it off)

Yeah, I've really come to appreciate it. Is your display set to 100% scaling or did it default to something higher? It would make sense feeling too close if it was set to 125% or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Other way around. I changed it to 125% because I didn't want to be that close to the monitor.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, I'm not sure then. I run my 27" 1440p at 100% scaling and it feels roughly the same as my 24" 1080p did, just with more screen space. I think I might have had a bit of an adjustment period where it did feel like text and such were smaller, though.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Booyah- posted:

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeah, it's the exact same screen, just lacks a USB hub. About 50 bucks cheaper because of it. I sit next to my case, so the USB hub is pointless anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I also am on 100% scaling because my eyes aren't crap

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Internet Explorer posted:

I keep my 38 inch ultrawide about arms reach for me. If you don't use a monitor arm that's easily adjustable, I highly recommend it. It lets you adjust it as you adjust your seating or stand-up desk. I'll say it is probably one of the best additions to my set up. Being able to easily move the monitor into the proper position is just perfect. Depending on what I'm doing, exactly what type of game I'm playing, having the monitor in the correct position is just the best.

I used to have 32" at an arm's length because of small table and it was ridiculous. Especially things in corners were annoying to see and read. I can't imagine 38" at that distance. I guess ultrawide makes it a tiny bit better by not being so tall?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

I guess ultrawide makes it a tiny bit better by not being so tall?

I have three monitors lined up and yeah, can confirm: the human eye is much happier scanning horizontally than it is vertically.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Can I have some help from owners of monitor arms? I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that getting one would be a good idea to get rid of the relatively large footprint of the LG 27GL850-B on our smallish desk, but she's not convinced it would 'fit'. The desk needs to be pushed against the wall as far as possible just leaving room for the cables, so any monitor arm would have to be bent sideways at the 'elbow' to keep the monitor as far back as possible and facing forwards, if that makes sense.

If anyone has a similar set up using either this gas spring style
arm or this more basic style, I'd be very appreciative if you could share a picture of your set up to help us visualise how ours would look, how much of the arm would be visible sticking out from behind the monitor, how flush the monitor could get to the wall etc.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Booyah- posted:

Cool, so it's probably just the same panel rebranded. That USB hub is unrelated to the actual function of the display right?

Indeed the display is entirely the same, the only differences are USB hub and the shape of the monitor stand afaik.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

I used to have 32" at an arm's length because of small table and it was ridiculous. Especially things in corners were annoying to see and read. I can't imagine 38" at that distance. I guess ultrawide makes it a tiny bit better by not being so tall?

Yeah, for sure the ultrawide ratio helps. Maybe my arms are also a little longer? :)

Over-thinking it a bit, I also use Windows PowerToys FancyZones to create a center zone that I snap most "just browsing" stuff to. If I'm working, then my screens are split and it's no different than having two monitors, just minus the bezel. If I'm playing games, the extra width is really immersive and I don't notice a problem looking at the UI elements on the side.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Can I have some help from owners of monitor arms? I'm trying to convince my girlfriend that getting one would be a good idea to get rid of the relatively large footprint of the LG 27GL850-B on our smallish desk, but she's not convinced it would 'fit'. The desk needs to be pushed against the wall as far as possible just leaving room for the cables, so any monitor arm would have to be bent sideways at the 'elbow' to keep the monitor as far back as possible and facing forwards, if that makes sense.

arm or this more basic style, I'd be very appreciative if you could share a picture of your set up to help us visualise how ours would look, how much of the arm would be visible sticking out from behind the monitor, how flush the monitor could get to the wall etc.

You're right, the gas spring ones need clearance. Here's a terrible shot of my 2-arm setup, complete with super-pro cable management. I had to put the desk 6" from the wall so the center monitor could clear the wall and still be far enough from my eyes. I got the gas arms cause I thought I'd be moving monitors around for sit/stand, but in retrospect I never move them, and the fixed pole and arm mount would've been a lot easier.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have a ton of clearance behind my desk, but the double monitor arms I have can be done with little clearance, maybe as little as half an inch? Here's a pic if it helps. I wanted them close together, so one of them uses more clearance behind the desk than the other. There is zero clearance between that corner of the desk and the Ikea shelf behind the bigger monitor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Where the hell are all the 4K gaming monitors? Like literally where are they? Nothing seems to be in stock anywhere.

Try finding the stuff on this Tom’s Hardware list:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-4k-gaming-monitors-pc-144hz,6023.html

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Where the hell are all the 4K gaming monitors? Like literally where are they? Nothing seems to be in stock anywhere.

Try finding the stuff on this Tom’s Hardware list:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-4k-gaming-monitors-pc-144hz,6023.html

Monitor demand is at a record high, supply is constrained and new GPUs and consoles are driving more interest on 4k gaming specifically.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The 4k gaming monitor market is weird. LG CX are great if you want a big one. Acer Nitro XV273K is harder to find now but about half the price

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The LG 27GN950 is also apparently Very Good if you want 4k/144hz/VRR and don't mind cutting out HDR.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Question for the thread:

Wanting a second monitor for my WFH setup. Desk is fairly small (42") and I don't really have much space for two monitors side by side.

Currently have a single Lg-24MP48HQ-P from a few years ago that's holding up fine. I don't see myself getting into 4k gaming anytime soon, but I do play (typically non-twitchy) games. I have this next to my 14" work laptop screen. I'd like to replace the laptop with a monitor in portrait mode to free up the space on my desk and to be able to use it with my personal computer so that I can browse the internet when the main screen is taken up by a game / CAD software / whatever.

I have my keyboard / mouse / monitor on switches right now so it's a couple of buttons to go from work to home at the end of the day.

My problem with my current monitor is that you can't rotate it, raise or lower it, or mount it to the standard VESA arms. I'd like to mount them both on an arm to get them off the surface of the desk since that space is fairly limited.

Should I:
1) Get something nice to replace my main screen and buy something super cheap for my internet / video portrait monitor. I'd think that going up to 27" would be fine, I like the looks of the LG 27GL83A-B that people have been talking about here, but don't think my desktop will run any games at 1440 yet.
2) Buy a cheap rear end second screen, a platform for my main monitor to raise it off the desk a bit.

I think I'd like to be all in around $850 at most for this, so not sure if option one would be feasible once you get a random second panel and an arm factored in. Thoughts? Thoughts on what second monitor would be best? Should I not cheap out on this monitor even if it's only web browser / youtube videos?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
just mounted my new odyssey g9 to the wall and fired it up, feeling good

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

The LG 27GN950 is also apparently Very Good if you want 4k/144hz/VRR and don't mind cutting out HDR.

Yeah this looks like it ticks all the boxes. Now the wait for stock.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The curse of progress: after spending a week with a 1440p monitor, the tv I've for years considered great now looks a bit fuzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

The curse of progress: after spending a week with a 1440p monitor, the tv I've for years considered great now looks a bit fuzzy.

so far im still not sold on 144hz

it's smoother, for sure, just i have 60hz ips panels side by side and the only thing I like that for is no tearing at high FPS, and the response time is better, but not by much.

increase in res is nice, and the size increase is nice, but I'm kind of thinking 144hz+ is a gimmick that isn't really worthwhile to me.

Color is about the same, I guess. still some weird ghosting at times but if I don't pay attention I don't notice it.

I would return it in a second if it had a dead pixel tho.

EDIT: This is what FLUX had to say:

NVIDIA 27.21.14.5751: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (20201122)

LG ULTRAGEAR(DisplayPort), 597 x 336mm, built 2020
Chromaticities:
R=0.685547 0.308594
G=0.264648 0.667969
B=0.150391 0.057617
W=0.313477 0.329102
sRGB gamut: 101%, AdobeRGB gamut: 83%

Generic PnP Monitor, 509 x 286mm, built 2015 EDIT: DELL S2316M, one is disconnected this second
Chromaticities:
R=0.655273 0.335938
G=0.317383 0.616211
B=0.152344 0.066406
W=0.313477 0.329102
sRGB gamut: 89%, AdobeRGB gamut: 62%

Winlimit=0, 1
Monitor 1 on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070: VCGT=0 gamma=1
Monitor 2 on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070: VCGT=0 gamma=1

Windows Build: 19042.630

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 3, 2020