Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Cena and Byer seem like a weird choice for Wipeout. Both seem like they will go too much or not enough for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lottie is the most likely next one voted off of GBBO, but I hope that if so, they let her stay around anyway. Every time she says something, it's gold.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I agree with whoever said ABC is knocking it out of the park with the game show revivals.
My only exception is "To Tell The Truth".
It just doesn't work for me.
The rest are all fab!

ABC has hit most of the classics but I would like to see a revival of $ale Of The Century and High Rollers/Gambit.
I would also like to see a revival of Whew! but only me and another goon that changed his name even remember that one.

A show that I think would work a second go around is Liar's Club, where a celebrity panel pass around and explain what an odd object or thing is to the contestants.
Only one of the panelists is telling the truth, so the objective is to sniff out who is telling the truth against all the bullshit but oftentimes more plausible fabrications the panel comes up with.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 23, 2020

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I agree with you on To Tell the Truth. I don't entirely know how to explain it but it does seem like the show they took the most liberty with and it just doesn't land.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robnoxious posted:

I would also like to see a revival of Whew! but only me and another goon that changed his name even remember that one.

as perhaps that other goon, it's time this thread should be introduced to perhaps the best onomatopoeic game show ever to make it to air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAGINdyZtMQ

this was one of the first game shows "the new price is right" producer jay wolpert made after quitting old man goodson. as far as game shows go, whew is both stereotypical as hell but also one of the few shows i can point to as examples of the genre at its very best.

it's fast, loud, with a set awash with color and flashing lights out the rear end, but it was refreshingly original in both its structure, its presentation, and its material: work your way up a board of statements with one factually incorrect word (e.g. "the japanese bombed pearl bailey"). but you have two problems: not only is time not on your side with having to do it in sixty seconds, but your opponent can turn six spots on the board into penalties that makes poo poo run even tighter. get one right at the top of the board with seconds to spare and you win, otherwise the round goes to your opponent. best two out of three runs 'the gauntlet of villains' for $25k.

and as far as bonus rounds go, Jay Wolpert and Bud Austin made a fukkin masterclass on how good presentation can make a bog-standard ten-points-beats-the-buzzer bonus round into a top-tier affair and all in little ways that you may not notice (but your brain does): the way the 'clouds' part to reveal the gauntlet of villains; having physical, life-size representations of the current state of play, having the cardboard cutouts' arms lower when they've been 'defeated', and the syncopation in alan thicke's drum loops providing an extra boost in pacing.

i put whew's gauntlet on the same tier as the winner's circle on the $100k pyramid: they both embody similar energy but different directions. pyramid's tension comes from watching one translate their personal experience into the shared, struggling with the challenge of describing a quality only by citing examples of that quality. whew's gauntlet isn't as complex, but it works because it is no less enthralling; it works in the way watching indiana jones run from a boulder draws you in. $25,000 in 1979 was still buy-a-house money, and a hell of an incentive for a contestant to try their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPZpgjwNC0
(incidentally, about 40 years after whew began, jay wolpert cited his production work in game shows as a inspirational source when crafting tension in his screenwriting):

sorry to get all CineD here, but... yeah. the show's good.

also: r.i.p. tom kennedy. 2/26/27 - 10/07/2020
(hell, if i make it to 93 myself i'd be... honestly, i'd be more surprised than anything the way i run my mouth about politics)

also also: gently caress yeah, doggles! i've long held that there oughtta be a loving indie/homebrew scene for game shows, and good on ya for making that poo poo happen. if i ever get this attention deficit disorder to go gently caress itself i'd be posting my poo poo.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 24, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(granted, there's just the two that i can recall: bzzz! was the other)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGxOLQNU98

edit: i have consulted with other nerds and have been corrected-- there's also boom (tom papa's clip-the-wire multiple choice thing), smush (ken ober with jeopardy's 'before and after' category), and click (merv griffin's last game show before he died and ryan seacrest's first tv show).

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 25, 2020

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I enjoyed reading more about Whew! because I only know about it in relation to this guy, who did research on a defending champion, blocked her perfectly, and then obliterated the bonus round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0t9lARYic

E: lol one of the Villains is just a literal landlord, welcome to the resistance Whew!

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 25, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ironic Twist posted:

I enjoyed reading more about Whew! because I only know about it in relation to this guy, who did research on a defending champion, blocked her perfectly, and then obliterated the bonus round:

randy was one of the first friends i ever made online. he was probably the show's biggest fan and evangelist in the years before technology made video sharing possible.

it absolutely broke my heart when he passed away; he spent years trying to track down a copy of the episode with his gauntlet run (one of the few people he knew with a VCR back then managed to record his first win, but something happened that they didn't get the gauntlet). when he got diagnosed with throat cancer in the summer of 2000, every dork who had a tape collection searched far and wide. they found it, but randy passed away hours before the tape made it to his door.

this december will have been 19 years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ironic Twist posted:

E: lol one of the Villains is just a literal landlord, welcome to the resistance Whew!

lol that video is wonderful, Randy is full of very wholesome 70s nerd energy

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
so because of GHF's post (RIP Randy Amasia, I love knowing that he probably would have become a goon if he was still alive), I went down a giant memory hole yesterday watching game shows I hadn't seen since I was five, and I found one that I think still holds up and that I'd like to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroURW6Pe9I

I think the only thing Go has in common with Whew! is that I'd like to see both come back. Whereas Whew! was really complex, Go was about as simple as it could be: take the bonus round from the original Chain Reaction and turn it into a game. 2 teams of four civilians and one celebrity have to team up and give clues to each other, but the clues can only be given by two people, in the form of a question, alternating one word at a time. The bonus round is the same thing, but involving the whole team at once, for ten grand, and if you sweep the front game you can play it twice. And for someone who never hosted another game show before or after this (I think), Kevin O'Connell does an A+ job.

It seems like wasted potential that the show only lasted 26 weeks. I know GSN rebooted Chain Reaction, I would love to see them take a crack at this show. Watch the video if you want to see how janky the clues can get.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress YES. this is one of the first game shows i remember watching, but the "let's play the bonus round twice if a team sweeps" struck me as somewhat tacked on.

Go was in the later half of bob stewart's career as an independent producer (the last one to stay in new york), he had a habit of trying to work an idea into a show, and Go was certainly an example of his "if at first you don't succeed..." approach to brainstorming. bob got his start in television when monty hall, then an acquantence of bob's before getting into production himself, referred him to an opening with mark goodson/bill todman's crew in the 1950s. it was while he was there that he created password, to tell the truth, and the price is right. bob quit in the beginning of the sixties when goodson rejected (from what i understand) an early draft of the $10,000 pyramid.

he'd been trying to make the talkin' tango idea into a show for a while, at least since 1977 when "Get Rich Quick" was a pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTjlfwpB1JE

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1323332081280147457

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1323335337641308162

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BUZZRtv/status/1325891027710988288

Don't sleep on these Card Sharks episodes, they feature Alex the contestant.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I didn't realize it'd take me a year and a half to do it, but the OP is updated kinda. No idea if it's worth a new thread title...

For posterity here's the first OP:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Over the past few years/decades, networks have realized there's profit in first run summer television, not reruns of The George Lopez Show. This is a thread dedicated to the competitive shows, where your average American either answers a bunch of questions or embarrasses themselves on stage/course/bachelor pad/oversized mini golf course. If a link exists to a specific thread, I'll post it. Sadly, necromancy doesn't exist: how I wish Peter Tamarken, Charles Nelson Reilly, Gene Rayburn, et al could be in these editions.

Syndication:
  • Jeopardy! James Holzhauer has ascended to the Tournament of champions level, where we will see him attempt to end Brad Rutter's reign of terror. Ken Jennings will remain the only pure thing on Twitter.
  • Wheel of Fortune: STOP BUYING VOWELS JESUS. Once put someone with Down's Syndrome on.
  • Family Feud: This is still the 1999 revival that was memorably hosted by Louis Anderson, Richard Karn and John O'Hurley before Steve Harvey.
  • Funny You Should Ask: You might find this on the remnants of MyNetwork at odd hours. The rules aren't explained well on Wikipedia
    RIP Millionaire

CBS Daytime: The Correct Time for Gameshows
  • The Price is Right: Kingdoms will rise and fall, but the sounds of horns.aiff will blare into eternity whenever failure abounds.
  • Let's Make a Deal: Get your daily dose of Wayne Brady, or choose Door #2.

Multiple:
Gordon Ramsay shows Master Chef, 24hrs of Kitchen Hell and everywhere else you can get your :ramsay: fix

ABC, Fun & Games & Unmarried:
ABC has been very faithful to the revivals listed below, some added parts here and there but they don't poo poo up the show (see Whammy! The All New Press Your Luck as a counterexample)

Sunday Fun & Games
  • America' Funniest Home Videos: Alfonso Riberio hosts "Man Getting Hit by Football."
  • Celebrity Family Feud: Steve Harvey's version with celebrity families.
  • The $100,000 Pyramid: Essentially untouched from the Dick Clark version of the $25,000 Pyramid, where the contestant who made it to the top of the Winner's Circle pyramid twice wins the title amount.
  • To Tell the Truth: This is the revival show with the most changes since it debuted in 2016. That first season contained a house band, the contestants didn't all use the same name (and sometimes weren't the same gender), the panelist who did the worst has host Anthony Anderson post something fake on their twitter account. Alex Trebek started being a panelist last year, the only former host of this show to ever do this. Betty White has appeared on every single version ever made.
  • The Bachelor(ette), Tuesdays: Currently a woman idk
Wednesday Fun & Games
  • Press Your Luck: Elizabeth Banks hosts the new version. Get questions right, earn spins, go on to the Big Board and face the Whammys. Instead of the usual "Two Games, One Hour" format the Fremantle revivals are getting, this one has a bonus round where you can win $1 million.
  • Card Sharks: Became the fourth game show to air on all three major networks behind The Price is Right, To Tell the Truth and Match Game. Joel McHale hosts, play five cards of Hi-Lo to win a round. The new version is only one round of ten cards of hi-lo, followed by a bonus round of seven card hi-lo.
  • Match Game: This game is ___________. Alec Baldwin hosts this version, which benefits from the open social mores of today, as well as being open about the drinking.
Thursday Fun & Games starts 6/20
  • Holey Moley: Supersized minigolf meets Takeshi's Castle from what the commercials show. Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle have been given sacred vestments--Wide World of Sports blazers
  • Family Food Fight: Families cook together. We'll see how much it differs from similar Food Network shows.
CBS, no these shows aren't revivals:

Fox:
  • Beat Shazam: Jamie Fox plays Name that Tune with a Robot.
  • So You Think You Can Dance?
  • Spin the Wheel: Premiers 6/20, hosted by Dax Shepherd. No word if "Bust a Deal, Face the Wheel" applies.
NBC:
  • American Ninja Warrior: ~600 will try, they will all likely fail before achieving Total Victory (EDIT: NBC might be giving away in commericals that someone one, we'll see). Sauske and other international versions have been scrubbed from ANW's kayfabe, except for the annual USA vs. The World in September (EDIT2: maybe this got canned in favor of a fourth part to the Finals).
  • America's Got Talent to Beat the Blind Autistic Singer: Multiple judge changes this year, and now Terry Crews is your MC. A singer usually wins, but a magician Shin Lim broke the streak last summer. Kodi Lee is Blind and Autistic, and my gut says the popular vote will take him far.
  • Songland: The Jonas Brothers want you to be the next great songwriter,
  • Ellen's Game of Games: Condense the games from the Ellen Show into an hour primetime special. Maybe her "you're all winners here" policy follows this show, I can't confirm.
  • Hollywood Game Night: Jayne Lynch hosts a series of party games where Celebrities help average folks win money. The final round was spun off to Celebrity Name Game hosted by Craig Ferguson for a few years.
  • The Wall: What if Plinko went the whole hour? Hosted by Chris Hardwick
  • Bring the Funny: Go ahead and try to Impress Keenan Thompson with your comedy/variety act. Chrissy Teigen and Jeff Foxworthy round out the panel.

The CW:
  • Whose Line is it Anyway?: Everything is made up and the points don't matter. Points distributed on the infallible discretion of Aisha Tyler.
  • Penn&Teller: Fool Us: Stump Penn & Teller with your magic trick
  • Masters of Illusion
  • The Big Stage

We all seem to have caught the game show bug early and the previous general thread has been archived. I'll update the OP as I can.

Goon Run Podcast: Game Shows, I suppose is run by TelevisedInsanity, who also provided the following schedule of summer shows:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Thanks for the shoutout in the OP. I'll hopefully have some more progress to show off early next year after the holidays are over.

And from the second post in the thread...

EugeneJ posted:

If you're not yelling at the idiots during the grocery run in Supermarket Sweep every night, you're not living

This is even more true in the new version during the big sweep. The riddles in the original version could be outright cryptic, but in the new version they basically tell you what aisle you should be looking in to start with. When the $100,000 clue begins with "This cereal..." run immediately to the cereal aisle you morons! Why are you trying to rhyme the clue with something in the healthcare aisle?!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
When I watch Supermarket Sweep, I immediate think about where it is in my grocery store. Even with the generous time, when I hear a dairy clue, my body is forcing me towards the produce because the studio is a mirror image.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I just finished the pricing game spotlight this week, next week is the final episode with The Price is Right.

Also, FOX is picking up Name That Tune with Jane Krakowski as host and Randy Jackson as Band Leader for January 6, and also ABC announced their new January Block

8PM - CELEBRITY WHEEL OF FORTUNE
9PM - THE CHASE
10PM - THE HUSTLER

TBS is still doing more Misery Index, no word yet on Hot Ones

And, obviously, no word yet on Jeopardy after the Christmas broadcast.

There is however, a huge rumor that a rebooted game show might be getting the cancellation announcement soon cardsharks

And in addition to that, Uno is being workshopped into a game show. No network has yet been announced for it.

https://twitter.com/TheHustlerABC/status/1326226868991893515?s=19

Hustler, based on my guess, is a team game mixed with weakest link.

One player is Hustler, and has all the answers, the other four do not.

Each correct answer to a weird trivia question (think fibbage) adds $10,000 to the pot,

Each player is captain for one question but may confer with the team for the answer. After everybody is captain, they vote for a player to be removed from the game.

Repeat with the 4 players, then again with the third round and 3 players.

If the final two are non hustlers they split the pot, if the Hustler is one of the final two, they get the full amount.

Should be fun.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Uh oh
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1329949234397900802

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat, what's crazy is that ain't the first time that's happened at wipeout.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So how have the ratings been for the revamped Supermarket Sweep? Are we going to see a second season?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Schedule change for Jeopardy, they'll be airing Trebek's 10 best episodes the weeks of 12/21 and 12/28. Then they will air his final week of episodes the week of 1/4.

New episodes begin production next week.

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1330996342865293313

And a bonus promo for The Chase!

https://twitter.com/bradrutter/status/1330734878162259969

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, for those of you wondering which show was gonna get revived next, how many of you thought there was a chance that college bowl was gonna be revived?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigZWFL4iaQ

and of the negative fifteen people who thought college bowl would be revived, how many of you would have guessed that peyton manning would be hosting it?

this is a weird goddamned year, y'all.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
think it’ll be like modern quiz bowl where half the players are over 50?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

they'll probably get through three questions between commercial breaks, they'll be sub-high-school difficulty, and it's going to bounce back and forth between heartwarming stories of kids in college and slow, boring as gently caress "suspenseful" moments. who has ever looked at manning and seen a sharp-talking eloquent presenter?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Peyton Manning actually has pretty good comedic timing, it could work.

Of course, he's an rear end in a top hat chud, but y'know

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comedic timing and a several-times-concussed person trying to read questions about roman philosophers are not the same thing

or maybe they are, but my point is that I can't see him heading a quiz show, much less one that's supposed to put actual academics on the buzzer

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I can't wait to see it, it's going to be frat bros from SEC schools isn't it? I'm more excited for the Uno game show which seems to not follow any rules of Uno.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I can't wait to see it, it's going to be frat bros from SEC schools isn't it? I'm more excited for the Uno game show which seems to not follow any rules of Uno.

Probably,

The category is World Capitals: What capital shares the name of a city containing a university I schooled between 1994 and 1997?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh god there's gonna be stunts and it'll involve buttchugging, won't it?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

oh god there's gonna be stunts and it'll involve buttchugging, won't it?

If we're lucky!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

I'm definitely going to give this a watch, because about a month ago I was giving serious thought to how someone would revamp Dirty Rotten Cheater for 2020. And now it turns out someone's actually doing it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/1333494455257550848

is this the first time in ages price is right reruns will be readily available

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Vertical Lime posted:

Yes and wow that's gonna be dope

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

Sweet. I'm giving TelevisedInsanity credit.

Also, coulda been you, Norm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tmkOI6bWKs

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

This would have been amazing to watch if every single ad leading up to the episode that night didn't spoil the ending. :argh:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Doggles posted:

This would have been amazing to watch if every single ad leading up to the episode that night didn't spoil the ending. :argh:

It was even in the episode title.

The question wasn't even that difficult if you know the timing of the light bulb to presidents

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Yes and wow that's gonna be dope
I came here to post this! Watching right now on Pluto Tv.

I <3 it so much!

Bob Barker and the inimitable prize announcing from the great Johnny Olson.
Add the Classic Barker Beauties: Dian Parkinson, Janice Pennington & Holly Hollstrom and I just reverted back to when I was 12 years old and was on School Fog Delay or Summer Break.

Dem classic Score Production music stings... all the feels... ALL of them!

Surprised it showed up on Pluto Tv instead of Buzzr but I'll take whatever classic TPIR I can get.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ironic Twist posted:

I'm definitely going to give this a watch, because about a month ago I was giving serious thought to how someone would revamp Dirty Rotten Cheater for 2020. And now it turns out someone's actually doing it.
Anything with Craigy Ferg is going to be dope.
The dude needs more tv work because a world without the Scottish Conan is a world I don't wanna live in.

I'd say he needs to go back to Late Night with his gay skeleton robot and pantomime horse but if that won't happen game shows it is.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Robnoxious posted:

I came here to post this! Watching right now on Pluto Tv.

I <3 it so much!

It's so good, they really used to have such a wild variance of games that are literally unlosable and games that are devilishly random (PLINKOOOOO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

It's so good, they really used to have such a wild variance of games that are literally unlosable and games that are devilishly random (PLINKOOOOO)

it's not just the variance of winning, but in just how elaborate the pieces were for the games (and how often they'd gently caress up. not in this clip, tho, but hurdles was one they retired because poo poo just kept falling apart).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KquDtWv8f3g

also: of course you liked diane's dress the best you horny old bastard.