Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

Even then the episode with Joe Chill is up there with Heart of Ice in terms animated Batman shows.

And yeah Aquaman is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSdEZbJCiDQ
It's weird how we all treat Aquaman as a joke and yet since the 00s most of his depictions have been great

You clearly haven't read any of the myriad comics desperate to make the reader take him seriously, which are the most embarrassing depictions of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You clearly haven't read any of the myriad comics desperate to make the reader take him seriously, which are the most embarrassing depictions of all.

The first issue of the Johns reboot was so bad because it acted like people were aware of Aquaman's reputation as a joke, which was dumb because there's no reason for anyone in the actual DC universe to think of him that way.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Superman's absolute power is the absolute least interesting thing about the character; the most interesting thing is that, despite his power, he is kind and gentle and often joyous. The guy who pulps people through walls is much less interesting than the guy who could, but carefully chooses not to at every opportunity, because he doesn't think a world with people shaped holes in it is a better place.

I honestly really liked how the first X-Men movie handled it. Magneto makes it clear that he will never stop his battle against humanity, he will never reform. And Xavier's answer isn't to mindwipe or kill him even though he absolutely could do that with his powers. His answer is that he will never leave his side, that he will never stop trying to help him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I still remember someone in CineD or something suggesting a Superman movie where Superman beats Bizarro to death while crying, and everyone ridiculed them for suggesting Superman killing a villain, even reluctantly, would be in any way what the audience wants to see and nobody making a Superman movie would be dumb enough to do something like that.

And then Man of Steel came out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

I recently saw this two part video series on the Snyder ouvre which I thought was pretty good.

https://youtu.be/DOd6ZYZE5uA

https://youtu.be/gY7EnEuqb7M

It's pretty long, but it does cover multiple movies. It discusses a number of the topics that just came up.

I can't believe you would just put Maggie Mae Fish in my Youtube watch history like this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Florence Pugh's character in Black Widow is going to be in the Hawkeye series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

Florence Pugh's character in Black Widow is going to be in the Hawkeye series.
Who is probably a new Black Widow right? I mean it’s Yelena Belova.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is hawkeye even a thing anymore or is this pretty much a "Batman will cameo in the flash movie" kinda headline

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Given how hard Disney's going in on shows for their streaming service, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disney is definitely trying to get more Marvel on TV. Hawkeye is almost certainly happening.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I still remember someone in CineD or something suggesting a Superman movie where Superman beats Bizarro to death while crying, and everyone ridiculed them for suggesting Superman killing a villain, even reluctantly, would be in any way what the audience wants to see and nobody making a Superman movie would be dumb enough to do something like that.

And then Man of Steel came out.

I like man of steel, but that post was funny

SlimGoodBody posted:
On that note, I think Bizarro, while maybe not a good villain to carry a movie, could be a tragic and beautiful piece of plot for a Supes movie. Someone (maybe Luthor, yawn) attempts to clone a Superman they can control, or maybe reverse engineer Superman-like abilities with a few drops of his blood. They want to use it to discredit the original Supes and turn public opinion against him. Bizarro ends up breaking loose and rampaging.

Don't make him evil, make him really dishearteningly broken in the head. He just keeps trying to "help" and "do the right thing," but he gets it all wrong because he's mentally deficient. Think Lenny trying to pet the rabbits. The plot arc culminates in Superman realizing that no amount of interposing will ever stop Bizarro from trying to do the right thing, just as no amount of interference would ever stop Superman from trying to do the right thing. We see Superman crying as he has to beat the life out of Bizarro, who doesn't understand what he's done. Superman doesn't want to do it, but it's a burden he has to bear in order to make the world safer. Supes has a period of reflection on whether he's any different, or if he's getting in the way of humanity moving itself forward by coddling it so much. He decides that he has to follow Bizarro's example and keep trying to do right, no matter what, and goes to take on the big bad guy that was responsible for/controlling Bizarro with a new sense of anger and purpose.

Or something. Whatever. You get the idea.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Am I crazy or was Hawkeye originally supposed to be an animated show? It doesn't sound like it is any more.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Veotax posted:

Am I crazy or was Hawkeye originally supposed to be an animated show? It doesn't sound like it is any more.

I think you may be crazy. I believe the only animated Marvel show announced is the What if? one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Is hawkeye even a thing anymore or is this pretty much a "Batman will cameo in the flash movie" kinda headline

You'd think they'd have actually cast Kate Bishop by now if it was going to start filming any time in the next year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You'd think they'd have actually cast Kate Bishop by now if it was going to start filming any time in the next year.

Wasn't Hailee Steinfeld either announced or strongly rumored? She or Margaret Qualley would be very good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Wasn't Hailee Steinfeld either announced or strongly rumored? She or Margaret Qualley would be very good.

She's been rumored but she shot it down. I know a lot of the clickbait sites have claimed she was cast but it doesn't sound like it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I keep forgetting that the Hawkeye series isn't just a Kate Bishop show.
Hope the reason why it's taking so long to get any details/momentum on the series is because they're retooling it to be a Kate Bishop show with Clint cameos.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Renner posted a set pic the other day so it's apparently still moving. With him, even

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

mikeraskol posted:

I think you may be crazy. I believe the only animated Marvel show announced is the What if? one.

There was that quartet of animated shows that they announced for Hulu. Dazzler/Tigra, Howard the Duck, MODOK, and Hit Monkey. The first two never got past the script stage. They actually released some shots from MODOK, so that might be coming out early next year. And I guess Hit Monkey is still happening?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

She's been rumored but she shot it down. I know a lot of the clickbait sites have claimed she was cast but it doesn't sound like it.

And Tatiana Maslany got to do the same thing later with She-Hulk.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I like man of steel, but that post was funny

SlimGoodBody posted:
On that note, I think Bizarro, while maybe not a good villain to carry a movie, could be a tragic and beautiful piece of plot for a Supes movie. Someone (maybe Luthor, yawn) attempts to clone a Superman they can control, or maybe reverse engineer Superman-like abilities with a few drops of his blood. They want to use it to discredit the original Supes and turn public opinion against him. Bizarro ends up breaking loose and rampaging.

Don't make him evil, make him really dishearteningly broken in the head. He just keeps trying to "help" and "do the right thing," but he gets it all wrong because he's mentally deficient. Think Lenny trying to pet the rabbits. The plot arc culminates in Superman realizing that no amount of interposing will ever stop Bizarro from trying to do the right thing, just as no amount of interference would ever stop Superman from trying to do the right thing. We see Superman crying as he has to beat the life out of Bizarro, who doesn't understand what he's done. Superman doesn't want to do it, but it's a burden he has to bear in order to make the world safer. Supes has a period of reflection on whether he's any different, or if he's getting in the way of humanity moving itself forward by coddling it so much. He decides that he has to follow Bizarro's example and keep trying to do right, no matter what, and goes to take on the big bad guy that was responsible for/controlling Bizarro with a new sense of anger and purpose.

Or something. Whatever. You get the idea.

I love that DC made a movie based on my bad post from when I was 20 and all the most insane posters on this website will stan it into their graves

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

I love that DC made a movie based on my bad post from when I was 20 and all the most insane posters on this website will stan it into their graves

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Roth posted:

I can't believe you would just put Maggie Mae Fish in my Youtube watch history like this.

? I liked most of her videos that I've seen

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

He's biased against relations of famous serial killers.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

WaffleZombie posted:

There was that quartet of animated shows that they announced for Hulu. Dazzler/Tigra, Howard the Duck, MODOK, and Hit Monkey. The first two never got past the script stage. They actually released some shots from MODOK, so that might be coming out early next year. And I guess Hit Monkey is still happening?

MODOK had an NYCC panel with the cast that included actual footage so it's definitely going to be a thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fangz posted:

Yea i keep hearing that she's actually terrible, but nothing to reinforce that. Seems something to do with her being friends with Lindsey Ellis is is also secretly worse than Ben Shapiro?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm immediately hostile to more video essayists who talk about nerd poo poo. We're good, thank you!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

I mean, poo poo, your ending is arguably better because Superman actually grows as a person in your version.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i keep hearing that she's actually terrible, but nothing to reinforce that. Seems something to do with her being friends with Lindsey Ellis is is also secretly worse than Ben Shapiro?

It's okay, she's good and cool. This same thing happened last time I posted one of those snyder MMF links.

Alhazred posted:

I mean, poo poo, your ending is arguably better because Superman actually grows as a person in your version.

I still remember sitting in the theater, watching the movie and thinking, "My god, they actually did it."

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

...a well-meaning introverted farmboy trying to do good, or a PTSD stricken Batman clawing his way out of a pit of self loathing...

Both of these movies sound great. Shame they never made it to screen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

It's okay, she's good and cool. This same thing happened last time I posted one of those snyder MMF links.

Okay, that's good because I really like her videos. I know the person that said she was terrible because she's friends with Ellis hates Ellis because in her video about how mainstream music during the Bush admin wasn't good like the 60s mainstream music because she neglected to mention bands that if you were into hardcore punk you would have known but outside of that, no, they were unknown.

I recently watched Aquaman again, and drat do I still love it. Though I thought it was weird that this is in the JL universe that people are scoffing at Atlantis being real, because like there's Superman, he's an alien, aliens are real, so why not Atlantis?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Maybe Atlantis falls more into the magic side of the DC universe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman is an alien that shows up one day. Crazy, but statistically likely. Weird that he looks like us though.

Atlantis is a secret nation of water people that has existed for thousands of years on our planet, and once ruled it with magic that we had no idea about.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There definitely needed to be a scene of Randall Park going "We had two alien invasions! How are you still a skeptic??"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Superman is an alien that shows up one day. Crazy, but statistically likely. Weird that he looks like us though.

Atlantis is a secret nation of water people that has existed for thousands of years on our planet, and once ruled it with magic that we had no idea about.

Plus (even though there is a great deal of the depths of the ocean that we've not yet explored), people generally like to think we've got a pretty good grasp of what's going on below the sea, whereas I think most people agree there's plenty of mystery in space.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's probably a breaking point for most people in that universe where they give up assuming they know what's going on, but people tend to resist that. Even if they do believe in A or B that doesn't necessarily open the door to the other. Like in a zombie movie once people accept those are zombies that doesn't mean they wouldn't still be surprised if a werewolf showed up. And even after that they'd probably be like, "look, I'll believe vampires when I see them."

Plus yeah, its the difference of "something otherworldly" vs "something that's been here all along." Different mindsets and we've see then people are processing Superman in different and not entirely grounded or rational ways.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah even if an alien showed up tomorrow I wouldn't automatically think that Atlantis existed. There's no connection. Unless the alien said that they were somehow related to Atlantis, I guess.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Plus (even though there is a great deal of the depths of the ocean that we've not yet explored), people generally like to think we've got a pretty good grasp of what's going on below the sea, whereas I think most people agree there's plenty of mystery in space.

Yeah this is my thought on it, humans have a pretty constant contact with the oceans even if we haven't explored a lot of it. Like, we've somehow missed English speaking superhumans who breathe underwater and fish people all this time and actually sea life understands us they just are jerks because we're jerks? We've never once encountered any of this before? I'd be surprised too

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah even if an alien showed up tomorrow I wouldn't automatically think that Atlantis existed. There's no connection. Unless the alien said that they were somehow related to Atlantis, I guess.

Yeah, it probably seems more natural to us as viewers both because we know what "DC" and "Justice League" are but also because Atlantis, the Amazons, and the Darkseid stuff is all connected. But no one knows that in their world. All they know is some aliens showed up and everything went insane. "Hey maybe there's also multiple societies living in the ocean" is kind of a leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"And it's all oxygen down there but there's a bubbly filter and everyone's hair turns into a bad cg effect"

"Yeah right!"