Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Tabasco is something you use to make unpalatable food palatable. There's nothing good about it, it's so you can take something gross and make it clear the reasonably low bar of "edible".

There's a reason they put it in military rations.

The reason is politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Guillermus posted:

I'm glad you never paid a visit to Base España in Ad Diwaniyah where most of the spanish forces were. We had a peak of 900 out of 1400 with diarrhea.

I'm glad I was flying in a chopper most days so I could eat on american bases and buy some stuff. Hell, I even bought roasted chicken and vegetables a couple of times to iraqui workers and tasted amazing while and my intestines thanked me. The only times I could poo poo something solid was when not eating in my base.

when I was at speicher working the CSH they used to do surf and turf on tuesdays with frozen lobster and steaks cooked by the KBR workers from nepal

every tuesday night we'd have a few food poisoning cases

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

when I was at speicher working the CSH they used to do surf and turf on tuesdays with frozen lobster and steaks cooked by the KBR workers from nepal

every tuesday night we'd have a few food poisoning cases

I laugh now but it was drat annoying. I've been deployed three times (once on Iraq and twice on Afghanistan) and the best I've ever ate was in 2005 on Herat (Afg) when the italian part was the only with a food hall. Handmade pasta fresh every day, loving amazing. It was funny to see their cooks with a shoulder holster and apron too.

Guillermus has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Nov 30, 2020

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Why is it not Karl Rohan

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Benagain posted:

Why is it not Karl Rohan

that would be silly

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dredd is far more Karl Urban than Karl Urban

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
this military dining hall chat is fascinating to me (not sarcasm)

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Empty Sandwich posted:

It's kinda a mess

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Empty Sandwich posted:

come post in GIP then, we have such sights to show you

Guillermus posted:

I laugh now but it was drat annoying. I've been deployed three times (once on Iraq and twice on Afghanistan) and the best I've ever ate was in 2005 on Herat (Afg) when the italian part was the only with a food hall. Handmade pasta fresh every day, loving amazing. It was funny to see their cooks with a shoulder holster and apron too.

oh hell and gently caress yes you goddamn run to italian dfacs if you can find them

one last thing about military dfacs:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

come post in GIP then, we have such sights to show you

oh hell and gently caress yes you goddamn run to italian dfacs if you can find them

one last thing about military dfacs:

Cooking eggs is extremely serious business

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How is "eat out at the local restaurants" not the norm for deployment? It pumps money straight into the economy in a fairly good way, it's way better food, and the locals might even get to know you, and appreciate you and/or your money

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BonHair posted:

How is "eat out at the local restaurants" not the norm for deployment? It pumps money straight into the economy in a fairly good way, it's way better food, and the locals might even get to know you, and appreciate you and/or your money

Because (depending where you're at) most of the rest of the time the locals are "getting to know you" when they're getting shot at or blown up by you and your buddies, and some of the locals might understandably be unhappy about that, and might see a group of occupying soldiers out on the town as an opportunity for payback

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Because (depending where you're at) most of the rest of the time the locals are "getting to know you" when they're getting shot at or blown up by you and your buddies, and some of the locals might understandably be unhappy about that, and might see a group of occupying soldiers out on the town as an opportunity for payback

especially when they are the ones preparing the food for said soldiers, they don't even have to directly confront them

and what are you going to do, shoot at them?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

BonHair posted:

because they like to bomb soldiers and shoot at them

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It's kinda a mess

I'm angry about this pun but I have to acknowledge it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

BonHair posted:

Depending on where you’re at sometimes contractors will come on the base and run little restaurants, but generally you’re not really allowed to go do that sort of thing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is from 2010:

Oh dang, Christ-like crusin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7cAYV_lVNI

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Someone add in Bones from the Star Trek reboot movies and call him Karl Orbital.

Platystemon posted:

The reason is politics.

ok I'm actually interested to hear your opinion on why "politics" is the reason we had Tabasco sauce in ration packs for the Australian Army.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Memento posted:

ok I'm actually interested to hear your opinion on why "politics" is the reason we had Tabasco sauce in ration packs for the Australian Army.

You can't imagine how deep the MacIlhenny company's claws go. Straight through to the other side, baby!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RFC2324 posted:

especially when they are the ones preparing the food for said soldiers, they don't even have to directly confront them

and what are you going to do, shoot at them?

Super-Troopers-Burger.m4a

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I mean I'm not doubting that there's grift and corruption involved with procurement for the US military and that almost certainly the reason we have Tabasco sauce in our rations is that we cargo cult whatever the US does without necessarily understanding why, but as far as finding a bottle of hot sauce that is small enough to fit in a ration pack that you can use to mask the flavour and texture of the mush they call food, you kinda can't go past it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

:wow: this video/song is some next level poo poo.

e,c:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Nov 30, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Memento posted:

watch pentagon wars.

military procurement is nothing but a series of grifts

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/minnesota-has-a-confederate-symbol-and-it-is-going-to-keep-it/

THE BODY posted:

In 2000, when Virginia legislators requested the Southern Cross flag once again, Gov. Jesse Ventura said: “Why? We won. … We took it. That makes it our heritage.”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Empty Sandwich posted:

In 2004 there was a suicide bombing in the military dining facility in Mosul. Shortly after that, we had to post guards at each DFAC. I had my turn, and I realized it was less about force protection and more about enforcing the sergeant major's chickenshit uniform rules for violations (no dirty uniforms, etc.)

So here I am, on a (relatively) safe base, in a clean uniform with a never-fired-in-anger-rifle, and up pulls a convoy that had been through hell. Shattered windshields, bullet holes, several of the soldiers with blood on their uniforms from the buddies they had just medevaced out hours earlier. All they wanted was some hot chow.

So I'm supposed to turn them around to go get clean uniforms?

Also, French MREs are extremely the poo poo and never pass up the chance to eat one

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

Also, French MREs are extremely the poo poo and never pass up the chance to eat one

Do they come with wine?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CainFortea posted:

Do they come with wine?

Sort of. It was trout in a white wine sauce.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they use a lot of cans instead of pouches, which are obviously gonna be way better

one of my professors who worked in USAID said the French gave us some MREs to airdrop over bosnia back in the 90s, but we don't use parachutes with ours because they flutter to the ground. that doesn't work with cans

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CainFortea posted:

Do they come with wine?

There was MRE internationale chat somewhere and I swear some country got airplane bottles of courvoisier at one point. And a couple cigs, natch.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/TurboJehtt/status/1332850303306067968

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Was not expecting Dracula to Rickroll me! Amazing!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

CainFortea posted:

Do they come with wine?

French high school cafeterias have wine for the teachers

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There was MRE internationale chat somewhere and I swear some country got airplane bottles of courvoisier at one point. And a couple cigs, natch.

There's an Italian MRE that comes with brandy but I don't think it is name-brand.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's also a Scottish one with half a fifth of whisky. And a really neat heater!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry4QBQejFU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Booze and cigarettes (or other tobacco) were standard for military rations until like, WW1.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean, makes sense. Booze helps make crappy water more potable and tobacco was the cheapest and most plentiful quick stimulant soldiers could have until WWII.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I seem to remember reading somewhere that medieval lords would load up their baggage with just an absurd amount of wine for the road and get shitfaced every night, which I used to think would make fighting in armor the next day really hard, but have since COVID times come to realize that it's just a matter of getting used to it long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TotalLossBrain posted:

There's also a Scottish one with half a fifth of whisky. And a really neat heater!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry4QBQejFU

So, a tenth of whiskey?