Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kennel posted:

It's amazing how quickly they were on the spot (2nd video)
https://twitter.com/wesleyfollon/status/1333104338588344320?s=20

He was safe literally 30 seconds after the crash.

By contrast this is one of many reasons the Nürburgring has historically been so dangerous. It's so huge it takes forever for emergency vehicles to arrive at a crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If this trailer's rockin'
Run like hell.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't watched an F1 race in a while, but they probably had that car follow the racers on the staring lap, which is always a huge mess. Which is obviously a good idea and probably saved his rear end.

I was wondering how that safety car got there that quickly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Holy poo poo those fire guys must have assumed they were just putting out a smoldering corpse. That's insane that dude survived at all, let alone walked away.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Cat Hatter posted:

By contrast this is one of many reasons the Nürburgring has historically been so dangerous. It's so huge it takes forever for emergency vehicles to arrive at a crash.
Ooh, is it time to re-post the documentary about the “flying doctor”? He rode out to on-track crashes to be a first responder because he could get to them faster than the medevac chopper.

https://youtu.be/MsZBXlTHPCg

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kennel posted:

from the sound of it he was being strafed by invisible tie fighters

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I wonder what the story behind this is...my only thought is that they plan to flatbed the trailer because it isnt mobile.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kennel posted:

The medical car always follows the pack on standing starts. They are lucky the crash happened so soon after the start or it would have taken several more seconds for the car to get there. Romain should also consider himself lucky he isn't Taki Inoue, or he would have been run over by the medical car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXEhf1pYtw

Nothing gruesome, he just gets bumped as they stop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It looks like he broke his legs at least

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Back in the day the death rate in F1 was pretty terrible, I think things like adding safety features to the cars like traction control and most importantly limiting the power of the engines did even more than their safety car protocols (which are also good of course)

It was a bit scary again when they brought the KERS hybrid battery stuff in every once in a while one of the pit crew would get a massive jolt from it but I don’t think anyone was seriously injured from it. Just looked rather not fun! They have a different system now I think, been a while for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The traction control was made against the rules, so it is entirely up to the driver's foot to manage the 1000 horsepower or however much, they keep the amount of power made a loosely kept secret.They switched to every car having ERS or energy recovery. It recovers kinetic, thermal, and electrical energy depending on what the car needs and deploys it according to software and the driver can also request it. They also seem to have a way to detect that it is unsafe and will sometimes tell a driver that he needs to jump clear of the car rather than just step off to avoid being shocked. Trackside workers also have thick rubber gloves to deal with a potentially charged car, but who knows if that's enough.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the biggest safety improvement is from the actual car design, stiffer cockpit structures, HANS, the halo thing, etc. They don't really have any electronic nannies to keep them safe.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It looks like he broke his legs at least

He managed to recover before the next race two weeks later.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Ooh, is it time to re-post the documentary about the “flying doctor”? He rode out to on-track crashes to be a first responder because he could get to them faster than the medevac chopper.

Absolute legend and as well as saving lives on tracks, he also successfully campaigned to get an air ambulance service operating for Northern Ireland, though sadly he died before seeing it become a reality. RIP Dr Hinds.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Why motorsports shouldn't be a thing.pptx

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Is this the Gulf Coast and they have to be X number of feet in the air for insurance reasons? That's the only thing I can think of.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

He might be building the most redneck AT-AT possible

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

"It's still not level!"
"Try another one under that corner!"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If you know of a better way to install a basement in your trailer I'd like to see it :colbert:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

PittTheElder posted:

Why motorsports shouldn't be a thing.pptx

If they couldn't do that they would be wingsuit flying or nuclear bomb juggling instead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They did have the electronic nannies for a while but some teams figured out how to cheat with them (especially TC - redbull with vettel was up to some extremely shady poo poo) so they did get removed.

I did like the ability to make the car go faster for short busts by changing the spoilers, that was neat.

I should watch an F1 race sometime and see if it’s entertaining again.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

He might be building the most redneck AT-AT possible

Thank you for this, I was trying to think of a similar joke but none were too hoth. :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Thank you for this, I was trying to think of a similar joke but none were too hoth. :)

you bespin jokin with that terrible pun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can't let a dagobah without a dumb pun session can we

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

from the sound of it he was being strafed by invisible tie fighters

I mean all that's missing is the cry of an elephant and wet tarmac for those tires to roll on to get that sound.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DiHK posted:

Is this the Gulf Coast and they have to be X number of feet in the air for insurance reasons? That's the only thing I can think of.

My guess is they jacked it up higher and stacked more bricks under to work on the underside.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qkjnsez8Bq1yri6y0.mp4

schmug
May 20, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

My guess is they jacked it up higher and stacked more bricks under to work on the underside.

I dunno. There looks to be a cement mixer in the background which leads me to believe they are hoping for a permanent something or another.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cojawfee posted:

It recovers kinetic, thermal, and electrical energy depending on what the car needs and deploys it according to software and the driver can also request it.

Loving the imagery of the car capturing thermal energy in order to deploy it via Death Ray at its opponents

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

priznat posted:

Back in the day the death rate in F1 was pretty terrible, I think things like adding safety features to the cars like traction control and most importantly limiting the power of the engines did even more than their safety car protocols (which are also good of course)

This is all not true.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/VYGQzm8.gifv

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

God,I worked a job on a mining site once and these trucks are really loving impressively large. My crew chief said he saw one capsize in a mining lake, for some pure OSHA.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thomawesome posted:

God,I worked a job on a mining site once and these trucks are really loving impressively large. My crew chief said he saw one capsize in a mining lake, for some pure OSHA.

There's a picture from a mine in Western Australia where one of those is face down in the lake at the bottom of an open pit mine (green-blue cloudy water, just the grossest poo poo) that I won't share, because there's also a dude inside it, dead.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That truck reminds me of this scene in the Deserts of Kharak intro, which is a) kickin rad and b) unbelievably not safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bseNXBUKlJM&t=71s

I still want that ride. It looks fun as hell.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

priznat posted:

They did have the electronic nannies for a while but some teams figured out how to cheat with them (especially TC - redbull with vettel was up to some extremely shady poo poo) so they did get removed.

I did like the ability to make the car go faster for short busts by changing the spoilers, that was neat.

I should watch an F1 race sometime and see if it’s entertaining again.

It's still got the qualifying = finishing thing going on most of the time. The drs helps but you've gotta get close enough. Usually whoever was in front but now isn't after turn 1 working back through the pack is the most exciting bit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Formula E has more exciting races, but the cars don't make the vroom vroom sound, so it's impossible to say if it's better or not.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The newest trend in trailer parks is double high. No more double wides.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what are the most osha sa emotes?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Kanine posted:

what are the most osha sa emotes?

:grovertoot: