Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

Flipping through your list unless you really want to play Ultrakill or Shipbreaker right now you're probably better off holding off on them for another sale. They are mostly gameplay complete but neither is anywhere close to done on their campaign and looking at mid to late 2021 for completion.
alright, i'll hold off on them then. because i tend to just play through campaigns. thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
shame about Empire of Sin. I was hopeful for that one.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
is Star Wars Squadrons a real resource hog? My PC is old but I don't intend on upgrading anytime soon, and Squadrons is the first game where I don't meet all the minimum requirements; it says it needs a i5-6600k minimum, but I have a i5-4570 (I also have 16gb RAM and a 980ti which exceed what they want). Is the processor really going to make a huge difference?

Because of refunds I did grab it but haven't really had time to test it yet, my computer made some bad noise during the splash screens but turning on vsync and setting the graphics down from the ultra preset seemed to help, but I am a bit sad about it all, was planning on playing with friends. The last recent game I played was Avengers and the graphics card fans would get a workout but Squadrons seems to be something else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:confused:
The only place giving EoS a truly bad rating is PCgamer, googling around I'm mostly finding fairly positive reviews and it's at a 70% on metacritic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not meeting the CPU minimum likely means you would bottleneck a bit at certain spots, but it will not keep you from running the game. I still run all of mine on an i5-2500K from literally almost ten years ago and it does well enough.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Processors are pretty forgiving. Maybe blow the dust out of its fan. It’s going to be stressed running under load all the time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/mtrc/status/1333500488424284161

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how long is a normal run of noita? i was just looking for some videos to see if i want to buy it and im seeing like a 9 hour run and 18 hour run and that seems absolutely insane to me for a game where you can die in about 3 seconds

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

:confused:
The only place giving EoS a truly bad rating is PCgamer, googling around I'm mostly finding fairly positive reviews and it's at a 70% on metacritic.
yeah, 70 out of metacritic is fine. there are a lot of solid games that wind up with a 65-75 metacritic, i compiled a list of them a month ago. victor vran, tiny & big, dreamfall, jazzpunk, RIVE, full bore, dark messiah of might and magic, alwa's awakening, binary domain, the last remnant, primordia, ys oath in felghana, plenty of good stuff

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah, 70 out of metacritic is fine. there are a lot of solid games that wind up with a 65-75 metacritic, i compiled a list of them a month ago. victor vran, tiny & big, dreamfall, jazzpunk, RIVE, full bore, dark messiah of might and magic, alwa's awakening, binary domain, the last remnant, primordia, ys oath in felghana, plenty of good stuff

Just from skimming, a lot of the complaints sound like bugs, which should hopefully get fixed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Awesome! posted:

how long is a normal run of noita? i was just looking for some videos to see if i want to buy it and im seeing like a 9 hour run and 18 hour run and that seems absolutely insane to me for a game where you can die in about 3 seconds

You can loop into NG+ infinitely so you're probably seeing vids of people doing that. If you just wanna beat the game its closer to 30-45 minutes

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you play slowly and make a point of going everywhere that isn't one of the looping Works areas, then I'd say you can get to two hours for a single run. That's about the upper limit, though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'd say 2 or 3 hours is a little more typical if you're not exhausting the map and moving fairly deliberately, but also spending a little bit of time setting up your wands at every shop.

I've done a speed run in 4 minutes 40 seconds.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Cardiovorax posted:

Not meeting the CPU minimum likely means you would bottleneck a bit at certain spots, but it will not keep you from running the game. I still run all of mine on an i5-2500K from literally almost ten years ago and it does well enough.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Processors are pretty forgiving. Maybe blow the dust out of its fan. It’s going to be stressed running under load all the time.

Thanks, I'll give it another go tonight (after blowing the dust out)

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have it, but haven't read it yet. It's a 55 page PDF artbook and it looks and reads like this:

I should probably finally play the game and read the pdf, since I backed its kickstarter....

Fair enough, cheers. I think I'll just grab the base game and see if I feel this would enhance the experience.

Now if it was narrated by David Attenborough...

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Palpek posted:

I'm on the lookout for hidden gems so here are some smaller titles on sale under $10 that look interesting to me. Anybody has any thoughts on any of them?

The Procession to Calvary

I have no idea what this game's about, but it's a shame it doesn't have Steam Trading Cards™ because I would insta buy whatever wallpapers they come out with.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Noita was pretty disappointing for me. I was hoping there’d be more sandbox and experimentation but it’s way more rougelike than I care for. I was expecting those burning sand/falling sand type flash games with a dash of combat, but meh. Adding the edit wand anywhere mod and adding a few spell packs increased the level of fun and sandbox feel, at the least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Noita is a lot like an Elder Scrolls game to me in that the base mechanics and the framework it offers for cool mod ideas area almost better than the game itself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Im_Special posted:

I have no idea what this game's about, but it's a shame it doesn't have Steam Trading Cards™ because I would insta buy whatever wallpapers they come out with.

It's all bits and pieces of Renaissance paintings.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Taintrunner posted:

Holy poo poo Empire of Sin getting ripped apart in reviews today. what a shame

Which reviews are you reading?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I bought Mankind Divided and I have to say I think I'm refunding it tomorrow.

The game did not waste time pissing me off by being unfathomably blurry (caused by temporal AA apparently), then the first hidden thing I found was some code I was supposed to scan with some dumb garbage companion app (no. gently caress off. let me play my drat game in peace for fucks sake), then all dialogue and exposition through the entire first level was bottom of the barrel exposition-talk. Like, bad even by the standard set by DX:HR. The Illuminati conference was especially hackneyed. And of course, the last bit of the first level was a gently caress you to any stealth player.

(also, lmao at having a loud conversation about your secret group IN PUBLIC)

Does this get better at all?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm getting a fancy new 1440p, g-sync compatible, high refresh monitor soon, supposed to arrive in the next week. Now, it's kind of the first step in an eventual computer upgrade/new build but for now I'm running a (still totally legit!) 1070gtx with a 6600k, which has mostly served me well in 1080p. What are some games that I can still play smoothly on this hardware that'll also show off my new monitor's bells and whistles?

E: Followup question: I can still play games in 1080p and they'll still look fine, right?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 30, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

The game did not waste time pissing me off by being unfathomably blurry (caused by temporal AA apparently), then the first hidden thing I found was some code I was supposed to scan with some dumb garbage companion app (no. gently caress off. let me play my drat game in peace for fucks sake), then all dialogue and exposition through the entire first level was bottom of the barrel exposition-talk. Like, bad even by the standard set by DX:HR. The Illuminati conference was especially hackneyed. And of course, the last bit of the first level was a gently caress you to any stealth player.

(also, lmao at having a loud conversation about your secret group IN PUBLIC)

Does this get better at all?

Yes but you’re mind is made up, probably best to refund. The gameplay gets better but the story won’t. The ending is abrupt as it was supposed to get a third game. But Square pulled their funding and gave it to the Marvel game instead...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cartoon Man posted:

But Square pulled their funding and gave it to the Marvel game instead...

Which, by all accounts, is also failing...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mordja posted:

Which, by all accounts, is also failing...

Yes indeed. Would much rather have seen the conclusion of the Adam Jensen story which sets up JC Denton. The previous poster has some valid points but I really enjoyed both games, warts and all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Recently I've been playing a bunch of Blight of the Immortals with a few friends. Basically it's a co-op, extremely real-time (as in, games take literally a week to run, in real time) strategy game where the goal is to defeat the zombie plague and burn all the infected bodies.

I was wondering, is anyone aware of any other games with a similar concept - you start a game and it runs real-time until it ends, days later? Co-op, preferably.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gort posted:

Recently I've been playing a bunch of Blight of the Immortals with a few friends. Basically it's a co-op, extremely real-time (as in, games take literally a week to run, in real time) strategy game where the goal is to defeat the zombie plague and burn all the infected bodies.

I was wondering, is anyone aware of any other games with a similar concept - you start a game and it runs real-time until it ends, days later? Co-op, preferably.

It's more hours instead of days and less co-op so much as alliances of convenience but Defcon has a real-time mode

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordja posted:

I'm getting a fancy new 1440p, g-sync compatible, high refresh monitor soon, supposed to arrive in the next week. Now, it's kind of the first step in an eventual computer upgrade/new build but for now I'm running a (still totally legit!) 1070gtx with a 6600k, which has mostly served me well in 1080p. What are some games that I can still play smoothly on this hardware that'll also show off my new monitor's bells and whistles?

I just got an LG27GL83A, hooked up to a 970. HL2 at 144Hz blew me away. Little else will run that well (and i can't use the Freesync mode because my card's a generation too old).

The contrast of this thing is really awful, though. Bad enough that I'm considering returning it. Surprised more people didn't raise the issue. All I saw was praise.

Mordja posted:

E: Followup question: I can still play games in 1080p and they'll still look fine, right?

Unfortunately they look like crap from a normal monitor sitting distance.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They might and just can't tell the difference because they don't use different types of monitors often enough. It can be a bit of an issue when buying things like this where subjective differences can make a real difference to individual perception.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Are the Styx games worth checking out? I was looking at the first one on GOG ($1.99 at the moment), but the reviews for it on GOG and Steam make it sound like it's really rough, and one review said it had a game-breaking glitch. I don't know much about it, other than that it's a stealth game where you play as goblin.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 1, 2020

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Having just started Mankind Divided myself I will say the first level is awful but have warmed to it since. I took two attempts to get through it and then bounced off the very start of Prague but after that I sank in to the comfortable world of rummaging around people's apartments and stumbling across sewer hide-outs.

I also balked at the tie-in phone app, I'd forgotten those used to be a thing and wasn't pleased to be reminded. Seeing the prominent store on the main menu reminded me of the paid for praxis kit nonsense which also left a sour taste. However I haven't been prompted about any of that in the next 8-10 hours.

So far it feels like autumnal HR and I'm enjoying it but I agree with the dapper Skeletor, if you had that strong a reaction there may be no saving it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Are the Styx games worth checking out? I was looking at the first one on GOG ($1.99 at the moment), but the reviews for it on GOG and Steam make it sound like it's really rough, and one review said it had a game-breaking glitch. I don't know much about it, other than that it's a stealth game where you play as goblin.
They're definitely fairly rough, but in an "our ideas were bigger than our budget" kind of sense, if you know what I mean. For the price of a cup of gas station coffee, I think you'll get your money's worth out of it easily.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gort posted:

Have you looked into Neptune's Pride? I think there's another one too about vying for control of Hell but I forget its name.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Amazing Cultivation Simulator? It looks neat and has pretty positive reviews, but I've been burned on some really janky indie wuxia games in the past, and gameplay footage makes it look like it's more focused on base building/tycoon stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Amazing Cultivation Simulator? It looks neat and has pretty positive reviews, but I've been burned on some really janky indie wuxia games in the past, and gameplay footage makes it look like it's more focused on base building/tycoon stuff.
I have played this game for over a hundred hours at this point and it really is amazing alright. Do you want to be a Chinese wizard or a Son Goku in a game highly inspired by Rimworld, but by no means just a simple clone? Do you want to make chairs come to life and then turn into chair people for you to make more Son Gokus with? Do you want to punch the literal wrath of Heaven until it gives up and decides to just let you be?

Then Amazing Cultivation Simulator is for. One of the top games on 2020 in my book, hands down. Nyaa is running an LP of it over in Let's Play. Check it out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

buglord posted:

Noita was pretty disappointing for me. I was hoping there’d be more sandbox and experimentation but it’s way more rougelike than I care for. I was expecting those burning sand/falling sand type flash games with a dash of combat, but meh. Adding the edit wand anywhere mod and adding a few spell packs increased the level of fun and sandbox feel, at the least.

yeah i'm in the same boat, I bought Noita very early on when it first hit EA and kinda didn't like it but stewed and was hoping 1.0 would change my mind.. but no it did not at all. The physics are kinda neat and wand building is sort of interesting but not a big enough hook. mods improve it somewhat but meh. i really can't recommend it on it's own

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure Son Goku is called Gohan.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HopperUK posted:

Have you looked into Neptune's Pride? I think there's another one too about vying for control of Hell but I forget its name.

Yeah, Neptune's Pride is by the same company and is (as far as I know) PVP only. The Hell one's PVP and turn based, isn't it? (assuming we're thinking of the same one - Solium Infernum)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gort posted:

Yeah, Neptune's Pride is by the same company and is (as far as I know) PVP only. The Hell one's PVP and turn based, isn't it? (assuming we're thinking of the same one - Solium Infernum)

That's the one! I think so? I read a playthrough of it on RPS once and it sounded exhausting, not really my cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Xaris posted:

yeah i'm in the same boat, I bought Noita very early on when it first hit EA and kinda didn't like it but stewed and was hoping 1.0 would change my mind.. but no it did not at all. The physics are kinda neat and wand building is sort of interesting but not a big enough hook. mods improve it somewhat but meh. i really can't recommend it on it's own

It's not uncommon to hear of people looking at the game and wanting a powder toy kind of thing, but in my view the game part of it really is near the top in terms of serving up both "gently caress, I died to THAT?" and "oh poo poo, how did I live through that?" experiences. That's not to say that the simulation going on around you and complicating everything isn't a big part of the appeal.

If you absolutely loathe losing progress and having your runs ended then maybe avoid it, but if you can laugh at that kind of thing the game will be great.