Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Assume you mean the 5800? And yeah my 5800 shipped too. Can't believe that was up for like 12 hours and I could just waltz over and buy one lol

That was really wild how long it was in stock. Im upgrading from a 3800xt so i may wait for my early dec B&H 5900x backorder before installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is Zen 4 going to be on DDR5? I have a habit of only upgrading to every DDR version and my 8086K is doing fine so far

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is Zen 4 going to be on DDR5? I have a habit of only upgrading to every DDR version and my 8086K is doing fine so far

I believe it was on a roadmap for 2022.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It'll have DDR5.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

5900X from the start of this month about to ship 🥳

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
25+ 5800's listed in stock in Denver microcenter. My 5900x will be here tomorrow though.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Don't Ask posted:

Idling at ~50c and sometimes hitting the thermal limit of 90c during heavy use, with an old Corsair 120mm AIO.

But the pump is probably dying so I'm going to replace it with a 280mm AIO and hopefully it won't throttle as much.

Welp, stuck the 280mm AIO on and now it peaks at ~85c with PBO enabled when running Cinebench for 10 minutes. No more thermal throttling!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

25+ 5800's listed in stock in Denver microcenter. My 5900x will be here tomorrow though.

I think the bottom fell out for 5800x scalpers. There are a several on craigslist in my area listed for MSRP

The antonline link must have been up for so long because they actually had that many to sell

Lycentia
Jul 30, 2009

It's the suit.
I got an antonline 5800X order in on Thursday and it showed up today. I validated the QR code on the security label in mild disbelief, but it checks out. Thanks for the link!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fauxtool posted:

I think the bottom fell out for 5800x scalpers. There are a several on craigslist in my area listed for MSRP

The antonline link must have been up for so long because they actually had that many to sell

it's such a poorly-placed chip. for 90%+ people the most they're going to be doing with Zen3's is gaming anyways in which the 5600x reigns supreme because there's virtually zero performance difference between any of them for gaming with exception of like 5950x. the 5800x is basically "i want a 5600x but they're out of stock and i've got an extra couple benjamins to light on fire" chip.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be a higher margin chip that they have extras of because its no one's first choice. We know that people are gonna buy anything they can get at least for awhile longer so the value proposition isnt in play quite yet.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The 5800x is like $50 overpriced for what it is, people are being a bit melodramatic about it in the context of $1500 gaming PCs

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sean10mm posted:

The 5800x is like $50 overpriced for what it is, people are being a bit melodramatic about it in the context of $1500 gaming PCs

It's overpriced in a lineup that already went up across the board, that's what's irking people. The 8c 3700x that everyone will compare it to was $330 at launch, so the 5800X being $450 makes it $120 more vs before, while at least the 5600X is only $50 more. For straight pricing it should be compared to the 3800X ($400 at launch), but no one ever suggested buying one of those either, because it was also poorly priced compared to other chips in the stack.

The ~105W/8c chip just isn't a good place to be, apparently.

Mostly people are just grumpy that AMD didn't decide to stay the budget option for any longer than they had to.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Lycentia posted:

I got an antonline 5800X order in on Thursday and it showed up today. I validated the QR code on the security label in mild disbelief, but it checks out. Thanks for the link!

Heck you! Mine won't be here until Friday. :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
hmm it only took one generation of AMD being the undisputed performance king again for people to forget intel raped the living gently caress out of them for 5, and are mad they want to make a legit margin on parts now? lmao
:thunk:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's $50 overpriced compared to the 5600x when taking core numbers & price differential into account, that's what he means.

People can get mad about previous SKU vs. current SKU cost but that seems immaterial to me, like who cares what it previously cost for a completely different chip, that just sounds like sour grapes. Getting mad about retail pricing seems like a fools errand at best, buy the thing or don't.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

Getting mad about retail pricing seems like a fools errand at best, buy the thing or don't.

Welcome to a hardware thread.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

sean10mm posted:

For me it was the "I want a 5900X/5950X but they're not in stock" chip.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Prescription Combs posted:

Heck you! Mine won't be here until Friday. :(

Got mine today, slapped in my new motherboard and ram, fired right up. FPS is up in almost every game, my 6700k was definitely holding my 3090 back. Happy!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

hmm it only took one generation of AMD being the undisputed performance king again for people to forget intel raped the living gently caress out of them for 5, and are mad they want to make a legit margin on parts now? lmao

Intel price gouging was bad but AMD price gouging is...not bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi

We gettin busy

We were busy with a 3600

But now we're busy with the 5900x

this is pretty ridiculous

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Inept posted:

Intel price gouging was bad but AMD price gouging is...not bad

Intel price gouging was bad because they were literally re-releasing the same chip with tweaks on the same process for 5% IPC gains YOY, because they're the only game in town. How long has their 10/7/5nm process been delayed again? Why did it take until only recently for Intel to get off their asses and fire the guy holding up 10nm? Why is it only now that Intel is doing poo poo for poo poo with regard to their decrepit IGP blocks? There are no shortage of criticisms that can be levied at Intel that stem from a lack of competition.

AMD, otoh, positioning themselves as having a superior product that people will pay the premium for. And as soon as Intel does something that makes them compete on price, those prices will surely come down. Until then, don't forget that AMD is a business and is trying to sell you a product and not your friend.

(We divert off into business speculation territory here, but if I were Dr. Su, I would be positioning this as a move allow them to demand more allocation of wafers from TSMC down the line by virtue of having a bigger bag of cash to plunk down.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 1, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Price gouging is bad regardless of who is doing it, but it's on the consumer to force companies to not price gouge, and... good luck with that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Why did it take until only recently for Intel to get off their asses and fire the guy holding up 10nm?

They've continually fired people or restructured/reorganized multiple times over the fab issues for some time now

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WhyteRyce posted:

They've continually fired people or restructured/reorganized multiple times over the fab issues for some time now

You're correct, I misremembered when Murthy Renduchintala joined Intel, I thought it was much earlier. Well, he apparently wasn't a help even for the five years that he was there, as opposed to the ten I thought.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they have made great strides in naming products after places they want to vacation at though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You're correct, I misremembered when Murthy Renduchintala joined Intel, I thought it was much earlier. Well, he apparently wasn't a help even for the five years that he was there, as opposed to the ten I thought.

I can't decide if he was incredibly damaging to Intel or so incredibly bad that anything he did ultimately didn't matter much. Maybe both.

He sure made a ton of money though

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Crunchy Black posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I paid full price for a 2500k one time, at launch. The next cpu I bought was a 3800x so by that measure Intel barely got a peek.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Seamonster posted:

I paid full price for a 2500k one time, at launch. The next cpu I bought was a 3800x so by that measure Intel barely got a peek.
i’m seeing a lot of people upgrading from sandy bridge to zen and then again to a newer zen. and i’m figuring that they’ll do it again for ddr5. if they don’t get their poo poo together, intel’s gonna lose all the ones that landed on skylake that they haven’t already.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Laslow posted:

i’m seeing a lot of people upgrading from sandy bridge to zen and then again to a newer zen. and i’m figuring that they’ll do it again for ddr5. if they don’t get their poo poo together, intel’s gonna lose all the ones that landed on skylake that they haven’t already.

Things are gonna get extremely goofy in 2021, probably one of the weirdest years in the CPU markets history. I truly have no idea whats gonna happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rumors of 5000-series CPUs to run on an Asrock B350 by taking the experimental BIOS from a B450 and flashing it to a B350 board

this still isn't anything that can really be done by a common user AFAIK, but we're slowly creeping closer to a theoretical spread of Zen 3 getting to run on all older AM4 boards, since we've also seen an A320 running a 5600X.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So I just got my x570 and 5800x installed and running. Everything seems to be fine. I'm testing it out in Flight Simulator and I notice the chipset temperature is at 88 degrees. That seems way too high to me, is this normal?

Every other temp seems perfectly fine.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I don't think that's normal, especially with the fan also going full blast. I have a Prime X570 P with the chipset fan strategically positioned to pull hot air directly from the GPU and I've never seen the chipset hotter than 68 or the fan over 2800 RPM.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

rumors of 5000-series CPUs to run on an Asrock B350 by taking the experimental BIOS from a B450 and flashing it to a B350 board

this still isn't anything that can really be done by a common user AFAIK, but we're slowly creeping closer to a theoretical spread of Zen 3 getting to run on all older AM4 boards, since we've also seen an A320 running a 5600X.

Looking forward to browsing russian forums so I can find a hacked bios for my Biostar X370gtn.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

So I just got my x570 and 5800x installed and running. Everything seems to be fine. I'm testing it out in Flight Simulator and I notice the chipset temperature is at 88 degrees. That seems way too high to me, is this normal?

Every other temp seems perfectly fine.

Theris posted:

I don't think that's normal, especially with the fan also going full blast. I have a Prime X570 P with the chipset fan strategically positioned to pull hot air directly from the GPU and I've never seen the chipset hotter than 68 or the fan over 2800 RPM.

Yeah something seems wrong. I have a Plus and the chipset hovers in the high sixties while gaming.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rumors? I've personally done this last week. Dude was probably inspired by my reddit post. Here it is: https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k1393v/i_got_ryzen_5600x_working_on_my_asrock_b350_mobo/

Yeah, the gist of it is 16MB rom isn't a limiting factor at all. The newest BIOSes even support 1st gen Ryzen without an issue. There isn't any limitation at all besides effort by the mobo manufacturers.

If y'all have any questions about this I can try to help.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The percentage that AMD raised their prices is not gouging you idiots

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's time to upgrade my aging i5-4690k so I pulled a trigger on a new motherboard and accessories that was on sale yesterday. Eventually I will be able to buy a GPU and CPU for this rig, but I figured I might as well as start getting components incoming. I'm excited to run an AMD build again, I think my last ones were heavily overclocked watercooled Athlons back in the early oughts. A warning about needing a bios upgrade on the newegg page gave me pause tho.

I have a hardon for ITX formfactor builds anymore and picked out a ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/TB3 Mini ITX Thunderbolt 3 AMD Motherboard (I have a use for the TB3 port too). Newegg helpfully warns "BIOS update might require for AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 series CPU". https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-itx-tb3/p/N82E16813157891

Will I need to score a older proc to bootstrap the system? It may be beneficial to buy a 2600x or something to tide me over for a while anyways.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Question about latest AGESA. I have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi. It's bios is dated 6/1/2020. There are maybe 2 AGESA updates via new BIOSes. Last time I tried to update my bios the mobo bricked.. but turns out one of my Corsair RAMs went defective. I have Samsung B Die now.

My question is, does anyone think the new AGESA will help my boost clocks? My Ryzen 3900x maxes out around 4.4Ghz and never hits its supposed max boost of 4.6Ghz. Just curious if this might help the boost clocks. I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Crunchy Black posted:

The percentage that AMD raised their prices is not gouging you idiots

only if you buy into the way AMD has slid the branding on their parts around. Like, the 3600X used to be a 95W part with the mid-range cooler, the 5600X is now a 65W part with the entry-level cooler just like the 3600. It is a 5600 in all but name (and price).

The comparison that people actually care about is "what is the cheapest 6C I can buy in the given lineup", i.e. comparing the pricing of the entry-level 6Cs in each lineup, and in that metric it's a 50% bump in MSRP in a single generation, from $200 MSRP to $300 MSRP. The price bump is even stiffer when you consider that the 3600 could be had for as little as $160 street price, practically speaking it is almost twice as expensive to purchase AMD's entry-level 6C offering as it was last year. That's not entirely AMD's fault because COVID, but the same hasn't been true of, say, Intel, where prices have actually declined significantly this year.

At the end of the day the naming doesn't matter, if AMD wants to call it their 6C the 5700X that doesn't mean it's a good idea to pay $400 for it.

It is what it is, if you don't like it then don't buy it, Intel is right there offering nearly the same performance, and you can back down even further and get a Zen2 chip (although that's a bit of a mixed bag with the way Intel has cut prices) - but at the same time "if you don't like it don't buy it" doesn't make the product immune to criticism, the criticism is in fact pointing out the reasons you might not like it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 1, 2020