Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny that the WWI tweet gets the most response because Caesar's Gallic Wars are one of the first recorded genocides. Like a lot of nerds I was/am very into Roman history and reading the Commentarii de Bello Gallico cemented in my head the notion that the Romans were wolves by the lake ("They make a desert and call it peace").

The problem with the Gallic Wars and really Rome in general during the time period most people are enamored with (Second Punic War to Augustus starting the empire) is that the only contemporary sources about Rome that have come down to us are written by Romans, or people under the Roman yoke in one form or another. If you take these sources at face value then you believe poo poo like Carthaginian senators throwing their live children into giant bonfires as sacrifices or any of the native peoples of what is today Spain/France/Germany barely having anything resembling a functioning society or semblance of technology. A tired and true trope is that it's easy to justify atrocities if you depict the ones you're inflicting them on as subhuman.

So yeah if you read between the lines and know a little about what was going on with Ceaser and Rome at the time, it is incredibly obvious that Ceaser undertook what was essentially a systematic genocide of multiple peoples. An interesting tidbit that slips through the cracks as well is that most other powerful people at the time were at a minimum somewhat queasy about what Ceaser was doing up in Gaul, even people who weren't his political enemies. It's after the campaigns that you start to see more of the noble, beaten down savage image of "barbarian" peoples rather than the ten foot tall frothing at the mouth crazed lunatic warrior among Roman works, which tells me that even by the standards of his day what Ceaser did was considered excessively brutal. And the really crazy thing about it is that Ceaser didn't even really do it out of malice or any strategic benefit to Rome; he mostly did it because it would be a gold star in his building political and military resume, and also he was broke as poo poo and up to his eyeballs in debt, and spoils of war make for quick and lucrative earnings.

But a lot of people don't get that. They read the Commentaries on the Gallic War for Latin class or something and go "oh wow this Ceaser guy is brilliant, what a figure" without realizing they're reading what was contemporaneously organized state propaganda in embryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Grumio in Metella est :wiggle:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's funny that the WWI tweet gets the most response because Caesar's Gallic Wars are one of the first recorded genocides. Like a lot of nerds I was/am very into Roman history and reading the Commentarii de Bello Gallico cemented in my head the notion that the Romans were wolves by the lake ("They make a desert and call it peace").
Pretty bold of him to advertise that he wants to genocide the French on twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terrible Opinions posted:

Pretty bold of him to advertise that he wants to genocide the French on twitter.

really, whomst among us

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you can't genocide the french, they produce thirty percent of the world's decent electronica.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sexpig by night posted:

Sarah Z continues to make videos for a target audience of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QhgQ-g4C0

The car going to heaven is killing me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the germans will make up by increasing the output of der funkybeats

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

The car going to heaven is killing me.

of all the memes this clusterfuck has made my literal absolute favorite are the '...the car went to heaven?' ones. Not even 'oh so the car goes to heaven but not the gay guy' but just the genuine confusion at 'why is the car in heaven'

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linkara's got a new series where he contrasts two different movies on a similar theme, this time about the very recently departed with a movie that's Death Note by way of the Twilight Zone and the other movie about some coroners performing an autopsy on a witch who's less dead than her corpse implies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZO_2OFauJ4

According to him, this is just a pilot for him to gauge interest in the series. If he goes ahead with it, he will be doing these on the 5th Monday of months with 5 Mondays (in place of the regular Atop the Fourth Wall episode).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 1, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Timbah.on.Toast released his fourth (and final?) video exposing the shoddy pretend-journalism of Project Veritas. He has now arrived at the era of PV's worst, most leaky operations, and he's tears into them mercilessly. Wonderful stuff, just like the previous three videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSTKX0uEfA

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've only seen the first of the videos on O'Keefe but it was a fantastic deep dive and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Timbah.on.Toast released his fourth (and final?) video exposing the shoddy pretend-journalism of Project Veritas. He has now arrived at the era of PV's worst, most leaky operations, and he's tears into them mercilessly. Wonderful stuff, just like the previous three videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSTKX0uEfA

The thing that always boggles my mind about James O'Keefe isn't how lovely and incompetent and rapey the dude is, it's the fact that he aged like poo poo over the course of a decade. He went from some reedy gaunt nerd to a guy who looks like someone attacked him with a sack of potatoes, who them absorbed the essence and biomass of all of those potatoes becoming the platonic ideal of a potato-shaped man.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1333636739672330242?s=20

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've only seen the first of the videos on O'Keefe but it was a fantastic deep dive and I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Timbah's stuff is so great. I don't know how they can stand digging so deeply into the chuddossphere but I'm grateful for their sacrifice. It's also very nice to listen to an entertaining political video that isn't stuffed with skits and forced jokes. The bumbling antics of the subjects themselves don't really require a laugh track.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It sucks someone like Vaush can poo poo out reaction videos and get way more views than these well produced deep dives by Timbah. The nature of the beast I guess.

And yeah O'Keefe has aged like poo poo. Usually Irish men don't go full potato head until they've passed middle age.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 1, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Please nobody tell me anything bad about Jarvis Johnson or Ordinary Things. Also, please forgive me if these two have been mentioned before.

I liked Jarvis Johnson's video of Jimmy Fallon's soul dying, and the Ordinary Things video about the evils of the soda industry. I really hope they don't turn out to be massive assholes.

edit:

Kim Justice posted:

A different bluetick to mock:

https://twitter.com/Casey/status/1333194058374602752

Man who makes fortune off the Internet thinks that actually its all bullshit and fighting in WW1 and 2 would be way better.

This is how out of touch with reality some big YouTubers are.

I'm forced to side-eye any American who wants to live during segregation.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 1, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
AVGN plays a bunch of weird-rear end old Taito games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGbkLG1b8WA

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Please nobody tell me anything bad about Jarvis Johnson or Ordinary Things. Also, please forgive me if these two have been mentioned before.

I liked Jarvis Johnson's video of Jimmy Fallon's soul dying, and the Ordinary Things video about the evils of the soda industry. I really hope they don't turn out to be massive assholes.

as far as I know, Jarvis is a good guy who is only sin is working for patreon before doing the youtube thing fulltime, he seems like a good sort

I also want to call out Jarvis Johnson's second channel, Jarvis Johnson Gold! most of the videos on there are like extensions of his most recent video, but some, like his video about Ellens terrible non-apology (just a real dogshit apology, can't even imagine the person who was taken in by it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsWl42Uplt8

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
please tell me the content creators i like are assholes, so i can continue to watch them and feel dangerous, like a real bad boy

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/TimPoolClips/status/1333877963792769030

Laffo. Don't be surprised if you start seeing Pim Tool's sewerage showing up in your feed even if you keep clear of political videos.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope he follows Breitbart's other doctrine and dies of a coke heart-attack on the toilet making GBS threads out his doodoo rear end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

https://twitter.com/TimPoolClips/status/1333877963792769030

Laffo. Don't be surprised if you start seeing Pim Tool's sewerage showing up in your feed even if you keep clear of political videos.

Which is weird, because usually when someone follows "the Andrew Breitbart doctrine" it involves randomly dropping dead on the pavement :v:

https://twitter.com/TimPoolClips/status/1333877966175080460

Well, good luck to him, I guess. Because if there's one thing that Kids These Days are gonna gobble up like gangbusters it's gonna be some vaguely middle-aged dude in a toque shouting "LGBT people don't deserve to have rights or even exist" or "Abolish the minimum wage, you deserve to be paid whatever minuscule amount your corporate overlords think you're worth" while pulling off a sick ollie on the lip of a half-pipe at the local skate park.

Then again, Kids These Days are getting further and further down with the racism, so maybe Tim's on to something. loving Joe Rogan found an audience and all he does is smoke weed and go "Holy fuuuuuck, you're blowing my miiiiind!" to every guest he has on, legitimate and monstrous alike.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 1, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish him the worst and nothing but pain. :)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Andrew Breitbart dog train is when you train your dog to piss on his grave.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93lJpGP04M

quote:

The Twisted & The Twilight is the latest piece of DLC for Total War Warhammer 2 and I'm already irritated they didn't call it The Twisted & The Sisters. I'll never know peace.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So, now the question I guess is who is going to become the Steve Bannon to Tim Pool's Andy Breitbart? Which obscure z-tier e-grifter is going to use Pool's fame and platform to climb to even higher heights of power and influence than his toque'd out idol?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

So, now the question I guess is who is going to become the Steve Bannon to Tim Pool's Andy Breitbart? Which obscure z-tier e-grifter is going to use Pool's fame and platform to climb to even higher heights of power and influence than his toque'd out idol?

Skull guy is due for a comeback imo. Or Milo Yiannopolis as the completion of the poo poo snake eating its own tail.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Skull guy is due for a comeback imo. Or Milo Yiannopolis as the completion of the poo poo snake eating its own tail.

isn't milo still like half a million in debt after getting coked the gently caress off from his last wingnut sugar daddy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

isn't milo still like half a million in debt after getting coked the gently caress off from his last wingnut sugar daddy

Milo was, at last count between seven to eight figures in debt, yes. And every venture he has tried to crowdfund his way out of it or restart his career has failed for obvious reasons. loving Baked Alaska was more relevant in 2020 than Milo was.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Milo was, at last count between seven to eight figures in debt, yes.

Holy poo poo!!! lmao Couldn't have happened to a nicer person :discourse:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Skull guy is due for a comeback imo.

Aurini is such a lazy dipshit he wouldn’t be able to ride the coattails of someone like pool. He is also INTENSELY unpleasant to sight and hear.All right wing grifters are awful but he is next level.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hump day bitches! posted:

Aurini is such a lazy dipshit he wouldn’t be able to ride the coattails of someone like pool. He is also INTENSELY unpleasant to sight and hear.All right wing grifters are awful but he is next level.

Tangentially related to Davis Arooni, but I check We Hunted The Mammoth every so often when I want to see some Manosphere schadenfreude and apparently Jodan Owen has realized about 5 years too late that he kind of ruined his life by going all in on being that weird gross guy who did nothing but film himself screaming at/about Anita Sarkeesian from his bath tub and has been trying to rehab his image in the most inept Jordan Owen way possible: ...demanding Hbomberguy apologize for making fun of him? What? ...Huh?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He made over 100 videos addressing her directly like she was going to watch his youtube channel one day. Before that, he did the same thing to a woman who made video games. I hope his next step isn’t 100 sequential addresses to hbomb.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

He needs to delete his YouTube and get professional help.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Milo Yiannopolis

TIL Milo Yiannopoulos and Andy Milonakis are different people :psypop:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 2, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

TIL Milo Yiannopoulos and Andy Milonakis are different people :psypop:

What? How

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nine-gear crow posted:

Milo was, at last count between seven to eight figures in debt, yes. And every venture he has tried to crowdfund his way out of it or restart his career has failed for obvious reasons. loving Baked Alaska was more relevant in 2020 than Milo was.

i hope andy ngo ends up even worse off than milo is now in like four to five years

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I find Jordan Owen a bit of a sad case. Guys actually got a not inconsiderable chunk of musical talent. Shame he didn't focua on that instead of 3636756 videos about Anita Sarkeesian and a complete failure of a documentary.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

one of my favourite channels got blown up yesterday so i'm going to use kim's single use of the word musical to advertise its reformation

tony posts a variety of old electronica, european music i wouldn't otherwise see, and mash-ups of movies and music.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OurSoundsAreElectrik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_ar_cqMnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVjYWi_6OXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwaawF07o4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Tangentially related to Davis Arooni, but I check We Hunted The Mammoth every so often when I want to see some Manosphere schadenfreude and apparently Jodan Owen has realized about 5 years too late that he kind of ruined his life by going all in on being that weird gross guy who did nothing but film himself screaming at/about Anita Sarkeesian from his bath tub and has been trying to rehab his image in the most inept Jordan Owen way possible: ...demanding Hbomberguy apologize for making fun of him? What? ...Huh?

It's always amazing how shortsighted these gamer gate alt right assholes are, they make themselves completely unemployable for the sake of short term fame and profit. Molenyux, Milo, Stop i, Owen, they've hosed themselves over real good, and it brings me a perverse joy to see them wallow in the bed they poo poo