Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
watto, the floating, slave-owning jewish caricature would DEFINITELY post in coupons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ClydeFrog posted:

Culture Mind hands down. Yoda is not very smart, Data is too naïve. Minds are Machiavellian motherfuckers.

close but this was actually a trick question. the answer is of course michael burnham

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Smythe posted:

close but this was actually a trick question. the answer is of course michael burnham

Her main talent is crying. I mean what would she have been like without all the Vulcan childhood training!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah, exactly lol. Neat video though.

Two pet peeves of mine came up in it though, the name Vader was created way before he was actually Luke's father so I hate when people act like that was genius naming, and I hate the attitude of "well clearly the only way you can go toe to toe with a Jedi is if you also have the Force because Jedi are just sooo cool and powereful." gently caress off, man, maybe she's just that good at martial arts, you don't know.

I don't know how you fight someone who can literally make your knees bend the wrong way while you try to run at them with your sword or whatever by thinking it at you.

Hell, Han Solo shot Darth Vader, who doesn't even react to it, then steals his gun from across the room. How, exactly, was Han Solo winning that fight any way other than suicide bombing the room?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

Hell, Han Solo shot Darth Vader, who doesn't even react to it, then steals his gun from across the room. How, exactly, was Han Solo winning that fight any way other than suicide bombing the room?

His powers of seduction.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://collider.com/is-the-mandalorian-before-rebels-timeline/

quote:

Last week's episode of The Mandalorian dropped a bantha's worth of bombshells, from Ahsoka Tano's live-action debut, to Baby Yoda's real name, to a hint at the arrival of fan-favorite Extended Universe baddie, Grand Admiral Thrawn. But series co-creator Dave Filoni simply cannot be stopped from doling out intriguing teases toward the show's future. In a Vanity Fair interview, Filoni revealed it's "possible" that The Mandalorian takes place before the end of his animated series, Rebels, which would open up an entire Sarlacc Pit of possibilities. Or a Krayt Dragon cave. Or possibly even a third, different Star Wars reference.

Here's exactly what Filoni said:

quote:

"That's not necessarily chronological. I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels you don't really know how much time has passed. So, it's possible that the story I'm telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I'm saying it's possible."

At first glance, it's a confusing statement, as Rebels—which follows the earliest days of the Rebel Alliance we meet in A New Hope—primarily takes place five years before The Mandalorian. But the animated series' final episode, "Family Reunion and Farewell," features a stinger that sees Ahsoka Tano and Mandalorian warrior Sabine Wren (Tiya Sircar) setting off to find missing friend, Ezra Bridger (Taylor Gray), last seen blasting off into hyperspace with Grand Admiral Thrawn. Here's the scene, for context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gN6L0SG7ho

So! The possibilities: If "The Jedi" does, in fact, take place before that scene, then the so-called "Search for Ezra" happens in The Mandalorian's future as well. The Thrawn name-drop basically guarantees the blue-skinned Imperial Navy officer will make the jump to live-action down the line. But we're getting closer and closer to a confirmation that Ezra Bridger—and really any of the Rebels crew, hypothetically—are coming along for the ride.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 1, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you suspend disbelief to be okay with the fact that prescient telekinetic telepathic space wizards exist it's really hard to suspend disbelief that a regular joe can do anything against them.

The best I can do is not give a gently caress.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Butternubs posted:

His powers of seduction.

What if Lando was under orders to counter seduce? Anakin's specialty was seeing things before they happen, so he probably saw that as an outcome.

Maybe that's why Boba Fett was in the room, to be the awkward third wheel.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picture 007 era Roger Moore as Han Solo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Han's not a good example cause he's not even a really shot or anything. He's not even that great a pilot, he's just ballsy as gently caress.

I mean the problem is that lots of people who have written Star Wars EU stuff are of the mindset that the Force makes you superman and it sucks. I like the OT version of the Force where it's just being so in tune with life and existence that your intuition and reflexes are off the charts. Okay and also they have telekinesis, but telekinesis still isn't superman. I like to believe that someone could be so good at what they do to go up against a Jedi without being completely destroyed even without the Force. And that's the Magistrate we saw in the show unless she really did have Force powers.

I just hate the mindset of "Well they HAVE to also have the Force" it's so powergamey.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My exposure to Nightsisters is mostly through Merrin from Fallen Order, but my impression is that their flavor of Force use is mostly about "magic spell"-flavored illusions and effects that alter reality, and less about being in tune with themselves and their surroundings, so it seems perfectly reasonable to presume that Morgan held her own against Ahsoka because she's just that much of a badass with a spear, regardless of her also being a Nightsister.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nightsisters have always been weird Force Witches. Not necessarily Dark Side but definitely not light.

At the very least their philosophy isn't on either end of a dogmatic dichotomy like the Jedi and Sith. And in their first appearance they rode around on Rancors like they were in some cheesy 80s fantasy film.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 1, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Elentor posted:

Once you suspend disbelief to be okay with the fact that prescient telekinetic telepathic space wizards exist it's really hard to suspend disbelief that a regular joe can do anything against them.

The best I can do is not give a gently caress.

Killing Jedi is a solved problem. Atton Rand talks about it in Kotor 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlCXrHMYGQE&t=42s

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gonz posted:

https://collider.com/is-the-mandalorian-before-rebels-timeline/

At first glance, it's a confusing statement, as Rebels—which follows the earliest days of the Rebel Alliance we meet in A New Hope—primarily takes place five years before The Mandalorian. But the animated series' final episode, "Family Reunion and Farewell," features a stinger that sees Ahsoka Tano and Mandalorian warrior Sabine Wren (Tiya Sircar) setting off to find missing friend, Ezra Bridger (Taylor Gray), last seen blasting off into hyperspace with Grand Admiral Thrawn. Here's the scene, for context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gN6L0SG7ho

So! The possibilities: If "The Jedi" does, in fact, take place before that scene, then the so-called "Search for Ezra" happens in The Mandalorian's future as well. The Thrawn name-drop basically guarantees the blue-skinned Imperial Navy officer will make the jump to live-action down the line. But we're getting closer and closer to a confirmation that Ezra Bridger—and really any of the Rebels crew, hypothetically—are coming along for the ride.
[/quote]

Seeing the scene again, Ahsoka says nothing, so it could work that the Rebels epilogue is set after The Mandalorian, since the dialogue is from Sabine's POV and not Ahsoka's.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Han's not a good example cause he's not even a really shot or anything. He's not even that great a pilot, he's just ballsy as gently caress.

I mean the problem is that lots of people who have written Star Wars EU stuff are of the mindset that the Force makes you superman and it sucks. I like the OT version of the Force where it's just being so in tune with life and existence that your intuition and reflexes are off the charts. Okay and also they have telekinesis, but telekinesis still isn't superman. I like to believe that someone could be so good at what they do to go up against a Jedi without being completely destroyed even without the Force. And that's the Magistrate we saw in the show unless she really did have Force powers.

I just hate the mindset of "Well they HAVE to also have the Force" it's so powergamey.

Nah there you run into the problem of Vader from the OT being the prime example of 'if you are a powerful force user who is paying attention then no regular person can touch you' as above.

Obi Wan walks through the Death Star because he can make regular people forget he exists as they're looking at him.
Vader lets a guy shoot him a few times just because it's such a trivial threat.
Luke single headedly takes out Jabba's entire private army.

Also you missed Yoda outright say "only a Jedi, with the force as his ally, can defeat The Emperor".

It's not about powergameyness, it's that being a force user taps you into the primal GOOD vs EVIL conflict in the universe. If anything it's powergamey to introduce Heroic loot drops like Bescar steel that apparently now block lightsabers and let you tank the Jedi boss.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Beskar has always been at least lightsaber-resistant, dating back to the 90s EU.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Nah there you run into the problem of Vader from the OT being the prime example of 'if you are a powerful force user who is paying attention then no regular person can touch you' as above.

It isn't OT, but the whole Vader in Rogue One thing. He doesn't do anything he didn't do in the OT while fighting someone one-on-one and is like a horror movie monster to regular soldiers. He casually yanks part of the wall off and throws it at Luke, while also bombarding him with boxes. Of course he can bounce some rando guy in an egg helmet off the ceiling.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Beskar has always been at least lightsaber-resistant, dating back to the 90s EU.

There's more than one lightsaber resistant thing from the 90's EU, too. Some mineral could absorb lightsaber energy and basically shut it down after you cut it a little bit. You could get through it, it just took forever as you had to keep restarting the lightsaber every time you cut into it a little. It just sucked as a building material because it was so crumbly. The EU had all sorts of weird poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

seaborgium posted:

There's more than one lightsaber resistant thing from the 90's EU, too. Some mineral could absorb lightsaber energy and basically shut it down after you cut it a little bit. You could get through it, it just took forever as you had to keep restarting the lightsaber every time you cut into it a little. It just sucked as a building material because it was so crumbly. The EU had all sorts of weird poo poo.

Yeah, cortosis. From Heir to the Empire. Between that and ysalamiri, right out of the gate, Zahn figured out how to negate a Jedi’s inherent advantages.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

radlum posted:

Seeing the scene again, Ahsoka says nothing, so it could work that the Rebels epilogue is set after The Mandalorian, since the dialogue is from Sabine's POV and not Ahsoka's.

Would explain why Ahsoka wasn't wearing her white robes in 'The Jedi' episode too, among other things. I dig that storytelling choice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Would explain why Ahsoka wasn't wearing her white robes in 'The Jedi' episode too, among other things. I dig that storytelling choice.

I think it’s just Filoni keeping his options open while he figures out what he wants to do next.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

She is on concept art during the credits so they obviously toyed with the idea. I’d take a screenshot but Disney apparently locked that poo poo down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

radlum posted:

Plus if we're to assume some of the other scenes in that ending sequence are occurring at roughly the same time, (rebels spoiler) Hera and Kanan's kid looks to be at at grade schooler in age at least, so that is set several years ahead.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 1, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Keep in mind, the Rebels finale scenes need not all take place in the same year, just all post the Empire’s fall.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She is on concept art during the credits so they obviously toyed with the idea. I’d take a screenshot but Disney apparently locked that poo poo down.

Waiting on The Mandalorian twitter account to drop those images in high res :allears:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

The problem I see is that this is veering off more into areas where you (I) can't even suspend my disbelief in this fantasy space western thing when internal inconsistencies and illogic are just so glaring. Hmm I have two laser swords that can cut through anything except this one metal with ease. She's wearing that metal on the hands she's gripping the spear with, right? Oh, no? Just bare hands? Well I better not just slide my godkiller weapons up or down a foot and sever said fingers. I must maintain my space bushido against some murderous tyrant for.. reasons???

Some weird, sometimes jarring editing in this ep, too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sounds like a you problem.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, it’s a clear “Rule of Cool” exception.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You don't need all your fingers limbs to be interrogated :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Justin Credible posted:

The problem I see is that this is veering off more into areas where you (I) can't even suspend my disbelief in this fantasy space western thing when internal inconsistencies and illogic are just so glaring. Hmm I have two laser swords that can cut through anything except this one metal with ease. She's wearing that metal on the hands she's gripping the spear with, right? Oh, no? Just bare hands? Well I better not just slide my godkiller weapons up or down a foot and sever said fingers. I must maintain my space bushido against some murderous tyrant for.. reasons???

I mean Ahsoka clearly wants information out of her, so maiming her without reason would be counter-productive to that goal. Especially since Ahsoka is clearly just toying with her right up until she loses the one saber, at which point she immediately takes it seriously and ends the duel in the next move.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If I get Diana Lee Inosanto to play somebody I don't care if her oppo has laser swords they gonna fight it out

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

If I get Diana Lee Inosanto to play somebody I don't care if her oppo has laser swords they gonna fight it out

This is the Way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

This is the Way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean Ahsoka clearly wants information out of her, so maiming her without reason would be counter-productive to that goal. Especially since Ahsoka is clearly just toying with her right up until she loses the one saber, at which point she immediately takes it seriously and ends the duel in the next move.

Yeah, what was great about that was the change in demeanor you saw in Morgan. Before that, especially after disarming Ahsoka, she was confident, but once that stance change came, she stepped back with an "oh poo poo" look.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Captain Splendid posted:

I like that the sequence of proof was:

"We have this, this, this and this from the Clone Wars, making it very likely. Also, someone working on the Mandalorian confirmed it on Instagram"

I almost threw my phone across the room when he showed that. Thanks for wasting my time with a nine minute long video where you repeat yourself over and over, when it could have just been a tweet.

So nobody makes the same mistake I did by giving traffic to this joker: Ahsoka said Morgan’s people were slaughtered during the clone wars, she wears similar clothes to night sisters, she has some crescent moon symbol on her forehead similar to night sister symbology, the name “Morgan” has historical ties to witchcraft and sorcery (as in Le Fey), and oh yeah— the hairdresser for the actress literally posted on Instagram that Morgan is a survivor of Dathomir.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

Lol, gangtag.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/JR_Bartok/status/1264326241814900738
I wonder how mad people would be if an Ahsoka show were centered around her completing Luke's training between Empire and Jedi. I love the idea, personally. But I am biased.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I hate it when people spin in fight scenes. drives me nuts but they keep doing it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You should try spinning, it's a good trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Epi Lepi posted:

In the old EU once Leia completes her jedi training Han just gets in the way during combat rather than doing most of the work.