Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm at my wits end here, and hoping that complaining on the Internet will change my luck. I have I think four hours to catch a char this year.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1333582974516748288?s=20

That is where I'm supposed to stand, right? I've thrown north of 60 bait into this spot and haven't seen one ever. My last catch was a cherry salmon, so I think this counts as "river (clifftop)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013

Burnt Poffin posted:

Crafted a mess of those things, placed them alongside my western beach, and managed to get the missing five recipes in about two hours, with the last three balloons each having a mush recipe!

Wait, what does having a barrier do? Do the balloons get stuck on it?

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, the balloons will stop at the barrier, then drift downwards until it's clear to move east/west again. I placed jail bars along the beach/grass edge from the rocks to the north all the way to near the south beach, then waited for the five-minute mark. I'd just leave the Switch in handheld mode with the sound cranked up (in order to hear the "woosh" noise of the balloons), and shoot them down as they drifted southwards.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Denarius posted:

Wait, what does having a barrier do? Do the balloons get stuck on it?

Balloons won’t pass over certain furniture like jail bars and climbing walls, they’ll drift south instead. If you put down enough you can guarantee that all balloons will pass a specific point, where you can just sit and listen for the whooshing noises.

That said, I preferred simply setting a 5 minute interval timer to go off at every x:x0 and x:x5, which is when the balloons will hit the beach. Then I just did a quick check up and down the beach to see if one spawned that time and didn’t have to listen to the game.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm at my wits end here, and hoping that complaining on the Internet will change my luck. I have I think four hours to catch a char this year.

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1333582974516748288?s=20

That is where I'm supposed to stand, right? I've thrown north of 60 bait into this spot and haven't seen one ever. My last catch was a cherry salmon, so I think this counts as "river (clifftop)."

Yeah, you're in the right place, time to grind out some fishbait...
I've been debating time travelling to get the last of my collection done. I'm missing 2 of the big stag beetles and the thought of waiting 6 more months to get a chance at them gets under my skin enough to want to cheat in a game I promised to play fairly

Gadd
Apr 21, 2020
Celeste and Sahara are here on Dozin', last seen by the museum and eastern beach, respectively. Shooting stars are active.

Dodo Code: CVQPM Closed! Thanks for stopping by!

There's some DIY recipes round the lil' park, and Nook's/the Able Sisters have some alright stuff, I don't need anything in the shops so grab whatever you want.

It's a stretch, but if anybody has the Scorpio lamp, or better yet, the recipe, I'd appreciate it. I'll be chilling in the park by the DIYs probably, but if not just holler at me should you need anything.

Gadd fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gadd posted:

Celeste and Sahara are here on Dozin', last seen by the museum and eastern beach, respectively. Shooting stars are active.

Dodo Code: 9MXBM

There's some DIY recipes round the lil' park, and Nook's/the Able Sisters have some alright stuff, I don't need anything in the shops so grab whatever you want.

It's a stretch, but if anybody has the Scorpio lamp, or better yet, the recipe, I'd appreciate it. I'll be chilling in the park by the DIYs probably, but if not just holler at me should you need anything.
Dodo code seems to be down

Gadd
Apr 21, 2020

Slugworth posted:

Dodo code seems to be down

Gotcha, gonna try fixing it now. Will post the update in a sec.

Updated code is: CVQPM Closed! Thanks for stopping by!

Gadd fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 1, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gadd posted:

Gotcha, gonna try fixing it now. Will post the update in a sec.

Updated code is: CVQPM
Cool. Don't have the recipe any more, but I left you the scorpio lamp by your house

Gadd
Apr 21, 2020

Slugworth posted:

Cool. Don't have the recipe any more, but I left you the scorpio lamp by your house

Much appreciated, Slugworth.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Burnt Poffin posted:

Yeah, the balloons will stop at the barrier, then drift downwards until it's clear to move east/west again. I placed jail bars along the beach/grass edge from the rocks to the north all the way to near the south beach, then waited for the five-minute mark. I'd just leave the Switch in handheld mode with the sound cranked up (in order to hear the "woosh" noise of the balloons), and shoot them down as they drifted southwards.

:randstare: why did no one say something earlier?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Some Goon posted:

:randstare: why did no one say something earlier?
We were concerned you already had too many diy recipes.

Thanks by the way for opening up!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I've been debating time travelling to get the last of my collection done. I'm missing 2 of the big stag beetles and the thought of waiting 6 more months to get a chance at them gets under my skin enough to want to cheat in a game I promised to play fairly
You can find someone in the other hemisphere to visit and catch your missing beetles rather than wait for the earth to angle the other way

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh no I’m going to need a lot of empty space to make snowmen, aren’t I? poo poo.

Gonna have to rearrange all my flowers I guess??

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Welp, nothing after another 50 attempts. Screw it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

An hour and a half of balloon hunting later and I have nothing to show for it but bells, clay, and a very oppressive coastline.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For real the dystopian coastline trend is pretty awesome and smacks of Terrible Secrets on every island.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I looked it up and snow isn't gonna cover the island til like the 10th?? :mad: :mad: :mad: C'mon Blizz

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Macaluso posted:

So I looked it up and snow isn't gonna cover the island til like the 10th?? :mad: :mad: :mad: C'mon Blizz

despite the name blizzard doesn't control the snow in every videogame just the ones they make

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I have no snow, but I do have some beautiful new purple flowers! :)

e: Balloons? Here's why I'm upset. I shot down something like 30 balloons before I hit any DIYs. All clay, all day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Well holiday sweaters are in so I am content.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh no I’m going to need a lot of empty space to make snowmen, aren’t I? poo poo.

Gonna have to rearrange all my flowers I guess??

Wait, in New Leaf you could roll snowballs over flowers no problem. They'd just break if they hit anything solid. Is that not the case here?!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

HopperUK posted:

Well holiday sweaters are in so I am content.

I bought them all, and dresses, too! I'm not even Christian, but I cannot resist a decorated tree.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Silver Falcon posted:

Wait, in New Leaf you could roll snowballs over flowers no problem. They'd just break if they hit anything solid. Is that not the case here?!

I have like zero free space to make the actual snow person, is my issue.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I vaguely recall from NL that you could roll snowballs over flowers, they just wouldn't grow -- only on cleared land -- and I assume the same holds up here.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!

With the new system update, you can apparently send screenshots right to your device. No more tweeting and saving.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

CherryCola posted:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!

With the new system update, you can apparently send screenshots right to your device. No more tweeting and saving.

:perfect:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's like Nintendo noticed the cottage industry of ACNH apps and decided to put out an update that the game should have launched with. Maybe I'm just salty because I hate typing on in game keyboard

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

All right, cleared out a nice big open space (now watch as snow rolls around and all the snowballs spawn as far away as possible) and also done a lot of general tidying up of flowers and trees. And bought some fantastic ugly Christmas sweaters.

Tomorrow will probably mostly be a fishing day. And you never know, that bastard Redd might finally show up again :argh:

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Do I need to save these holiday dog plush toy things for the event that are now in the shop? Assuming not since I can buy as many as I want but want to make sure.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

First fish I caught this morning was the last one I needed to fill my museum and get that golden rod!

:feelsgood:

Once the snowballs start showing up I'll be finally finished with bugs too

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Celeste has landed on Fiorina once again! She’s penned into Prince’s garden (I don’t know why she won’t stay still tonight...).

Shops are all closed but I’ve left the Christmas jumpers and dresses out for touching in the soon-to-be Snowboy-filled empty void to the right of the airport! I’ll be AFK for the night so ping me if anything goes fucky.

Drawings always appreciated, and take a poster of Pinky as a gift!

Dodo in the other thread!

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 1, 2020

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Did the game ever get fixed so that villagers hang gifted things on their walls? There's a string of stockings for sale now that I'd hope they handle with care.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Shep just ran up to me to ask if I'd showered today because I smell amazing.

This is exactly how I imagine big dogs would act if they were sentient and could speak English.

I didn't plan on collecting particular species among my villagers but I think there's a reason five of the ten are canines of some sort. I love my idiot goofballs.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

CherryCola posted:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!

It's a huge PITA with my phone. Scan QR code, connect to the Switch, enter a password, scan QR code again, then save photo/s. I think it's faster to tweet the photo/s, save the photo/s, then delete the tweet if I want, which is what I've been doing this entire time.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Metaline posted:

It's a huge PITA with my phone. Scan QR code, connect to the Switch, enter a password, scan QR code again, then save photo/s. I think it's faster to tweet the photo/s, save the photo/s, then delete the tweet if I want, which is what I've been doing this entire time.

I mean Nintendo won't even let you use bluetooth headphones on the drat thing so I thought it would be some ultra jank way of doing it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Does anyone know if the "pretend to buy something from nooks/donate to blathers to force balloon spawns" is an actual thing, or is it just a dumb rumor, like the "clap for the Dodos to get better mystery islands" thing was?

I ask because it's extremely annoying to do, but I also want fast spawns.

Metaline posted:

It is a big pain in the rear end via phone, but you know what it is useful for? Transferring stuff directly to your computer with a USB cable.

I was able to transfer 2,200+ screenshots off my switch this morning, without making a single tweet :v:

(It's possible I take an excessive number of screenshots)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Redd is here with Glowing painting (real), Jolly painting (real), Quaint painting (fake), Scary painting (fake)
Mama bear (Tweed), digital alarm clock (black)

Dodo Code: CLOSED

Nooks has the blue Tin robot as well as unlimited magazines. Buy whatever else you want, too.

Ursala is making a Hyacinth lamp.

Donations of Toy Day items from your islands are gratefully accepted but not necessary. I'm going to be AFK for a nap, so thanks in advance for visiting.

Thank you to whoever left the Toy Day items!

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 2, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Blaziken386 posted:

Does anyone know if the "pretend to buy something from nooks/donate to blathers to force balloon spawns" is an actual thing, or is it just a dumb rumor, like the "clap for the Dodos to get better mystery islands" thing was?

I ask because it's extremely annoying to do, but I also want fast spawns
If you mean running into a building to reset the balloon spawns, it's supposedly been debunked, but anecdotally, it honestly seems to have some minor effect. Another goon spreadsheeted his experience with doing it vs not, and it seemed to help him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Does the dung beetle only appear if it's snowing?