Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

What was that bump in the middle of Mike’s back?

Got some stills of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm guessing it has something to do with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw47gXsDwjw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mike Tyson lost almost ever real fight he got into don't @ me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

I'm guessing it has something to do with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw47gXsDwjw

I’ve seen news that he had back surgery in 2017, but no other details. Doesn’t look to be from his 2012 neck surgery.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve seen news that he had back surgery in 2017, but no other details. Doesn’t look to be from his 2012 neck surgery.

That video is from like 2003 and he stopped fighting in 2005 so I would've assumed he'd have surgery way earlier than that, but I don't really know, might've had several.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, I thought you were just doing a joke callback to the spinal interview. That was explained as this:
https://www.sportscasting.com/the-crazy-way-mike-tyson-found-out-his-back-was-broken/

quote:

In 2018, during the International Boxing Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Gray sat down with Tyson. He was still incredulous about “Iron Mike” fighting with a broken back, so the two men talked about what really happened.

As Tyson said, the doctor told him that “pieces were breaking off of his spine” due to his motorcycle injury. Tyson, who isn’t a medical professional, assumed this meant he had a broken back. As he clarified during their chat, his back was injured, but it wasn’t broken. It was his fault for “making a big thing out of it.”

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1333183868267073538

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think Roy Jones was anywhere close to being that frighteningly good. And Roy was damned good.

90s Roy went years without losing a round. He mostly dominated everybody he ever fought, including HoF talent like James Toney and Bernard Hopkins. Tyson could be made to look somewhat ordinary at times by bigger opponents who knew to tie Tyson up (James Tillis, Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tucker, etc) and make the fights somewhat close.

Mike knocked out a lot of guys, but Roy basically didn't lose rounds. I mean, you could argue that between the first Hopkins fight (May 1993, Roy fought with a bad hand and still won handily), and the first Montell Griffin fight (March 1997), Roy literally didn't lose a round in the 12 fights that occurred between that time. He also knocked out basically everyone who wasn't an elite level talent during that time.

Roy was also dominant basically from the get go (1989), until the first Tarver fight (2003). So, hard to say that Roy wasn't "anywhere close" to Tyson's dominance. He did it for much longer and generally against better competition than Tyson. He just wasn't in the marquee division, and obviously didn't have the charisma and the media attention that Tyson drew.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Didn't Mike Tyson lose to Buster Douglas when he was more or less in his prime?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The drugs had hosed him mentally by that point. He was still about as much of a physical freak as ever, but he couldn't use it nearly as well

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't Mike Tyson lose to Buster Douglas when he was more or less in his prime?

Age-wise, sure. But he got rid of Rooney as his trainer after the Spinks fight in 1988, and his personal discipline declined. He was not the same boxer after '88. By early 1990 his training was suffering and he was partying hard. The Douglas fight stands out to me for two reasons. First, he looked sluggish and apathetic even for that time in his career, and secondly Douglas fought the fight of his life.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

kimbo305 posted:

What was that bump in the middle of Mike’s back?

He broke his back. Spinal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah IANAD but I googled it after the fight and the short version of what I read and barely understood is that the spine can end up with bumps like that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"Prime Mike Tyson" is the biggest myth in boxing. He was very good for 3 year stretch in 1987-1989, a period where he fought 9 times against a set of decent guys, but his best opposition in this period was Spinks, a career light heavyweight. He was great, he certainly looked amazing, but he was never able to find that level of success against top guys. Not necessarily his fault in that he was kind of the big dog during that time period, but by the time Holyfield, Bowe and Lewis were making waves he was no longer in what people consider his mythic prime, which people generally consider to have ended when cus died.

As is probably pretty clear, I have my doubts about how sudden his decline really was, but there's no question that he lost a lot after his prison sentence. I definitely think he's a top 10 (and there's maybe an argument for top 5) heavyweight ever, and there's certainly some level of missed potential there for him. I still think he gets overrated though, if he was some kind of remarkably consistent performer it would be easier to make the case for him, but he wasn't. As his career stretched on, you begin to see that Tyson would usually win before he got into the ring, but in those fights where he couldn't crush his opponent easily, he struggled a lot and usually lost. I give him a lot of credit for the razor ruddock wins though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Tyson is absolutely not a top 5 heavyweight of all time. Even top 10 is a stretch, as you'd need to put him ahead of guys like Evander Holyfield, Joe Frazier, Wladimir Klitschko, etc which doesn't make any sense.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Speaking of Tyson's trainers, I recall Tony Atlas telling a story of how Tyson was so bad that Atlas had to pull a gun on him. I wonder if those stories are true or are just hyperbole on his part.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of Tyson's trainers, I recall Tony Atlas telling a story of how Tyson was so bad that Atlas had to pull a gun on him. I wonder if those stories are true or are just hyperbole on his part.
You should take some time to read the well documented lore out there. It's Teddy by the way.
Atlas could exaggerate a lot of stuff, but Tyson confirmed the story, if not the context. I dunno if I believe Atlas' side there, but there's certainly evidence Mike had problems with sexual assault.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dubois' injuries against Joyce confirmed now, a broken orbital bone and nerve damage. It's a difficult injury to come back from 100%, you can understand him taking a knee.

I worry for him in that he recently signed a 5 year deal with Frank Warren, and he might end up going back in the ring against his own best interests. Warren had some front calling for a rematch in the post-fight interview, it doesn't matter what the scorecards said at the time of the stoppage, Joyce put manners on Dubois.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson's reputation and myth definitely precedes him when it comes to the all timer argument, but there's still that X factor of him at his very very best that makes you wonder that on any given night, could he have actually beaten some of the very best at their very best, like Smokin' Joe, Foreman etc.

I don't think you'd ever consider the likes of Wilder being able to compete with the GOATs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tyson's reputation and myth definitely precedes him when it comes to the all timer argument, but there's still that X factor of him at his very very best that makes you wonder that on any given night, could he have actually beaten some of the very best at their very best, like Smokin' Joe, Foreman etc.

I don't think you'd ever consider the likes of Wilder being able to compete with the GOATs.

I would go in the other direction. In terms of skills and athleticism, he's right up there with the best of all time, but his X factor makes him worse rather than better. Unless you just mean the X factor of unrealized potential, which is something I suppose.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Tyson is absolutely not a top 5 heavyweight of all time. Even top 10 is a stretch, as you'd need to put him ahead of guys like Evander Holyfield, Joe Frazier, Wladimir Klitschko, etc which doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I personally don't have him in my top 5 but I don't mind having him in the back half.

I have wlad in my top 5 atm. I'd throw Fury in there too but I don't like to put fighters on all time lists until they're retired.

I tend think of my lists h2h as opposed to legacy, and I personally don't rank older fighters too much though. I put Louis in there to show respect, but I feel like I can flatly disregard everybody before him. Different era.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Tyson has a great highlight reel of KOs, but he came up at a really poor era in the division. After Holmes' retirement there were a lot of fighters in the top echelon that were either fat or coked up, some of them both. Mike managed to plough through them but did struggle with big guys who had decent boxing fundamentals and could take a punch. Even in his very short prime period he looked less than impressive against Bonecrusher Smith and a one handed Tony Tucker. A fit and motivated Tim Witherspoon could have given him real problems. H2H I'd pick the prime Ali, Holmes. Lewis, Wlad & Holyfield to beat him quite easily and could also see Foreman beating him and maybe Joe Frazier breaking his heart.

EDIT : I think Sonny Liston would have bullied Mike and made him cry.

biglads fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2020

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I'd probably include Jack Johnson out of the old timers. He managed to become champion despite being a victim the colour line whilst all the other lineal champions enforced and benefitted from it. And he probably was just the outright best of the pre Louis era, he toyed with JJ Jeffries who was the other long time champ from the time. It was basically a different sport though.

Mike Tyson will never be in my top 10, one of my first memories of boxing was bawling my eyes out at aged 7 after waking up to find out he beat Bruno the second time lol.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

madey posted:

I'd probably include Jack Johnson out of the old timers. He managed to become champion despite being a victim the colour line whilst all the other lineal champions enforced and benefitted from it. And he probably was just the outright best of the pre Louis era, he toyed with JJ Jeffries who was the other long time champ from the time. It was basically a different sport though.

I am a Sam Langford believer personally

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jump King posted:

I am a Sam Langford believer personally

Harry Wills for me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

biglads posted:

EDIT : I think Sonny Liston would have bullied Mike and made him cry.

I think so, yeah. He'd have the reach to still do something if Mike got under that jab.
Liston had the same wingspan as Jon Jones, someone known for an extreme reach:height, and was 3" shorter.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Claressa Shields making the switch to MMA

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1333564368437600256

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think she might do well, she's been training at for a bit now, not sure how seriously, but the talent pool in women's MMA is shallow enough that making the leap should be possible and she's exhausted nearly every challenge for her in boxing.

I kind of expect her to do the Savannah Marshal fight first though, that seems like it would be a big miss if she skipped it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Foreman ate bob 'n weavers for breakfast, see Joe Frazier. He would have murdered Tyson.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm not that into boxing, but from the sounds of it, the league was down right anemic during the '80s and early '90s in terms of talent.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not that into boxing, but from the sounds of it, the league was down right anemic during the '80s and early '90s in terms of talent.

You had Holmes and Tyson as the elite operators at either end of the 80's. Guys like Witherspoon, Tucker, Dokes, Page etc were good contenders in the decade but a combination of cocaine and shenanigans with Don and Carl King screwing guys over left right and centre wrecked a few careers. In between Holmes getting old (82/83?) and Tyson getting the belts later on, some pretty average guys swapped the straps around. All the way through Holmes' WBC reign, there were a number of comparative duds holding the WBA belt.

By the time you get into the early 90's you have Holyfield moving up from Cruiser and Lewis coming along. Add in Bowe, Ruddock and Golota it wasn't too bad.

EDIT : Outside of the Heavyweight division, I'd argue that the 1980's could have been boxings best decade.

biglads fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 1, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

You're sort of right between two decent periods. It happens. In all honesty, for any given division at any given time there's usually only a couple of guys on top. But yeah, the very narrow time period that people credit as Tyson's prime doesn't really line up with any other great fighter save for Spinks, and Spinks was fighting far above his weight.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jump King posted:

You're sort of right between two decent periods. It happens. In all honesty, for any given division at any given time there's usually only a couple of guys on top. But yeah, the very narrow time period that people credit as Tyson's prime doesn't really line up with any other great fighter save for Spinks, and Spinks was fighting far above his weight.

Tyson kicked Spink's rear end though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tyson kicked Spink's rear end though.

He sure did. It's a good win, but as I said, Spinks was fighting far above his weight. The fact that Spinks was able to climb the mountain at heavyweight to begin with was a result of the period being relatively weak. I still felt like I should mention him though, because he was a legitimately good fighter.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Jump King posted:

He sure did. It's a good win, but as I said, Spinks was fighting far above his weight. The fact that Spinks was able to climb the mountain at heavyweight to begin with was a result of the period being relatively weak. I still felt like I should mention him though, because he was a legitimately good fighter.

You're absolutely right. The heavyweight division was at a low point in Tyson's prime. Of course, Tyson can't be blamed for that, and he fought whoever was available, but he was a big fish in a small pond.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Man I loved this event. The music was great, they should have more concerts inbetween boxing matches. Everyone complaining about it, what would you have preferred ? The commentators talking about who tyson was?

I think triller did a great job producing this event. I mean look at how this thread exploded with comments, whens the last time that happened? Were there any events like this that got this kind of eyes on it other than Fury v. Wilder 2?

I am really interested to see how the event sold. I have a feeling that it's going to be one of the highest selling PPV's this year

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jump King posted:

Michael Spinks was one of the very best of all time at 175lbs. His wins at Heavyweight weren't that great though, a couple of highly disputed decisions over an old Holmes, wins over a washed up Cooney and Tangstad(?) and a chunk of inactivity before the Tyson bout. Even so he was the first Light Heavy champ to win the lineal Heavyweight crown where other great fighters before him (e.g. Moore, Foster) had failed. For that he deserves a lot of respect. He was also smart enough with his money so that he didn't have to comeback. Not being a Don King fighter probably helped with that, RIP Butch Lewis.

A Spinks - Holyfield fight at Cruiser would have been amazing.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Doesn’t she have a back and forth going with Nunes or was that months ago?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's the lightest Shields could get to? Wouldn't that be her biggest issue, fighting a heavy enough opponent?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Woofer posted:

Doesn’t she have a back and forth going with Nunes or was that months ago?

I know Amanda got asked about Shields last year after Nunes beat Germaine de Randamie, and Nunes said "I'm a MMA fighter, she will have to come to my world. I'll wrestle the poo poo out of her and finish with a submission"

Don't recall if there has been anything more recent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I haven’t followed much recently but I’ve started catching up and I’m probably bringing stuff up that’s been beat to death but...

GGG looked old as gently caress in his fight against Derevyanchenko. I know he had the flu or whatever but he looked really, really bad.

Canelo didn’t impress me either, but Kovalev is a much better opponent than Derevyanchenko is, right?

I guess what I’m saying is why should GGG get another shot at Canelo if he doesn’t beat Szeremeta convincingly inside of a few rounds?

I love GGG and will go to my grave saying he got robbed in the first fight with Canelo, and I think based on that alone he deserves it, but dude is 37 and definitely looked like he will get smoked by a 30 year old Canelo.