Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They are litigating bodega vs convenience store nuances in the comments. Coooool.

Here we have both.

You go to the bodega for a selection of international phone cards that boggles the anglo mind and jumex and other luxury goods that can be found in supermarkets but you feel better just walking to the corner for the food stuff that gets put in the "ethnic" aisle at Safeway.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sounds cool but a weird thing to wrap an identity around. (Cue Alicia Keys New York song)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Here we have both.

You go to the bodega for a selection of international phone cards that boggles the anglo mind and jumex and other luxury goods that can be found in supermarkets but you feel better just walking to the corner for the food stuff that gets put in the "ethnic" aisle at Safeway.

This is just any convenience store in Texas.

But this conversation sucks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The replies solemnly explaining that no, they have to make their m&ms make the thread worthwhile.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My understanding from the internet is that bodegas have cats.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I can't picture this scenario whatsoever without devolving into cartoon physics, but even in her clearly imaginary scenario she's still in the wrong.

Imagine being so bad at road etiquette that even in your own fiction about how they're the rear end in a top hat, you're still the rear end in a top hat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sassassin posted:

My understanding from the internet is that bodegas have cats.

https://twitter.com/Bodegacats_/status/1331745443773091842

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was a moment of minor revelation when I learned that "bodega" is the same word as "apothecary"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cleretic posted:

I can't picture this scenario whatsoever without devolving into cartoon physics, but even in her clearly imaginary scenario she's still in the wrong.

Imagine being so bad at road etiquette that even in your own fiction about how they're the rear end in a top hat, you're still the rear end in a top hat.

Some places have traffic lane, bike lane, and then curb parking so the bike lane is between the parked cars and traffic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah and in those places (i.e. everywhere), driver's ed classes make it VERY VERY CLEAR to you that you had better fuckin check the mirror before you open your door into traffic — especially if it's a bike lane — because you are absolutely at fault if you kill someone with your door

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone remember the guy who didn't check both ways, pulled out in front of a cyclist, and then went to twitter to talk about how bullshit it was he got the ticket? The cyclist was going the wrong way and he shouldn't have to check both ways

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Does anyone remember the guy who didn't check both ways, pulled out in front of a cyclist, and then went to twitter to talk about how bullshit it was he got the ticket? The cyclist was going the wrong way and he shouldn't have to check both ways

Especially since he already had to pay for repairs since there was a good deal of mountain bike in his axle.

I couldn't find that one, but I did find the unfortunately named Emma Way: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-22636230

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Data Graham posted:

Yeah and in those places (i.e. everywhere), driver's ed classes make it VERY VERY CLEAR to you that you had better fuckin check the mirror before you open your door into traffic — especially if it's a bike lane — because you are absolutely at fault if you kill someone with your door

Cyclists were never mentioned in drivers ed for me. Like seriously not even once. This also includes written exam and driving test with state trooper.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Riding a road bike has made me way more aware of cyclists than before. Understanding that a tiny twitch from a car and I'm in a world of hurt made me more cautious overall.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Also, while we're on the subject, it takes some getting used to, but it's worth teaching yourself to use the Dutch reach to avoid these kinds of collisions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Data Graham posted:

I don't think that was ever mentioned in my my driver's ed. It might be a possible question on the written test somewhere but I think most everywhere the written test is a random selection of questions from a much larger test.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

it's worth teaching yourself to use the Dutch reach

How I masturbate while high is my own business.

Seriouspost, how does anyone not do this? Do people generally strafe around their doors? Do they not park non-parallel and have to navigate out a narrow path because some dick doesn't know what the silly lines someone put on the parking lot are for? Do people Kool-Aid Man their car doors open all the time everywhere? I'm genuinely blown away that this isn't the natural way to open the dang door, cyclist (which having lived in a college town I will refuse to defend as a class) or no.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1333585112252997632?s=20

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/ShaneSmedley/status/1333557760521166850?s=19

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://twitter.com/ShaneSmedley/status/1296931262385414144

lol

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Well, of course there have been UFOs on Earth. We just didn't (and in some cases don't) know what they were. That's why they're called unidentified flying objects.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Weather balloon/amphetamine ghost.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They are litigating bodega vs convenience store nuances in the comments. Coooool.

The comments are pretentious NYC morons concentrate.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
weird how instances of seeing ufos declined so sharply with the advent of camera phones, huh

except, apparently, from my coworker, who I occasionally have to prove the normalcy of a vaguely blinking light to with skyview because he forgets satellites exist

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Here we have both.

Philly has places like this too, so does Baltimore and even Wilmington in DE.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The comments are pretentious NYC morons concentrate.

Its usually never people that live in actual neighborhoods that had bodegas for centuries, its usually people who have lived in Brooklyn for 5 years and take it upon themselves to make it apart of their identity

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How does that even work as a joke about impulse buying candy? Feels like such a weird cover story to use.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

New York would be so cool if New Yorkers didn't live there

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

grittyreboot posted:

New York would be so cool if New Yorkers didn't live there

Eh, gently caress you, I'm walkin here.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Who the gently caress is Bo Dega?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

letthereberock posted:

Nothing whats dega with you?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bo Knows Dega

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

letthereberock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIncGi-Ne2Q

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Also, while we're on the subject, it takes some getting used to, but it's worth teaching yourself to use the Dutch reach to avoid these kinds of collisions.

I don't see what difference it makes which hand you use. :confused: You can look back, or fling the door open blindly, using any hand you like.

As for me, the habit of looking back got deeply ingrained when I used to parallel park on a narrow-but-high-speed street, and it was very very clear that you were opening that door into traffic and it was necessary to time your movements carefully. And as a cyclist, it was impressed upon me to think of parked cars like those bumpers on a pinball table -- get too close and they'll reach out and hit you. (If the bike lane takes you through the door zone of parked cars, well, then it's trying to kill you. Don't use it. You're far safer just taking the normal traffic lane.)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'll refer any talk about bodegas to the bodega boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrvr89Z6fEw

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Dec 1, 2020

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

letthereberock posted:

He sang Mambo no. 5

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also she's SUPER NOT MAD because a friend of her is like "lol these PEOPLE with NO SENSE OF HUMOR are acting like you were talking about bodegas instead of, uhhhhhhh impulse candy buys, that's it" and she's laughing with them about how these people have no sense of humor, obviously

https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1333554302124777474

What's the joke supposed to be?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I don't think that was ever mentioned in my my driver's ed. It might be a possible question on the written test somewhere but I think most everywhere the written test is a random selection of questions from a much larger test.

If you're in the US this doesn't surprise me at all. I've biked in major cities in Asia and Europe, inches from traffic, and its medium sized places in America that are the most traumatizing to bike in. Beyond just drivers being clueless, when I lived in Columbus Ohio I straight up had people try to run me off the road in their pickup truck while yelling slurs at me for.... riding a bike, near campus, in a huge college town?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sunswipe posted:

What's the joke supposed to be?

you're clearly a much less funny person