Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I guess I gotta learn Mount Panorama after having successfully put off doing so for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dangerllama posted:

So I guess I gotta learn Mount Panorama after having successfully put off doing so for years.

Is left turn, sweeping curves uphill into sharp left, into five miles of squiggles, into a long straight, into a kink, into a left turn not sufficient? (I probably missed a batch of squiggles or a kink or something)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Is left turn, sweeping curves uphill into sharp left, into five miles of squiggles, into a long straight, into a kink, into a left turn not sufficient? (I probably missed a batch of squiggles or a kink or something)

2:36 is the best I can manage so far. I picked a hell of a time to move to the anti-stall clutch.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Important news!
https://twitter.com/iracing/status/1334173061227163650
I hope this means the LBGP track gets the Stadium Super Truck layout. :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

Important news!
https://twitter.com/iracing/status/1334173061227163650
I hope this means the LBGP track gets the Stadium Super Truck layout. :getin:

Watching Robby Gordon do ~80% of a lap on two wheels was worth the price of admission on its own.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Watching Robby Gordon do ~80% of a lap on two wheels was worth the price of admission on its own.
Gonna go out on a limb and say that next week iRacing will be announcing they’ve signed a licensing deal with Stadium Super Trucks.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

SS Trucks are so rad, I would love them in iRacing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bentai posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that next week iRacing will be announcing they’ve signed a licensing deal with Stadium Super Trucks.

Oh I really hope so

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

SS Trucks are so rad, I would love them in iRacing.

I thought stadium supertrucks were.. oh no just pro4.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

tater_salad posted:

I thought stadium supertrucks were.. oh no just pro4.

Yeah, they're quite fun as well to be fair. But I want proper super trucks, with the big metal ramps and a competition caution halfway through the race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I mean, if you add ramps, the Pro4 and Pro2 trucks would be a decent stopgap until the SST would be added.

SST and jumps on road courses is exactly what would get me to get out of rookies in Dirt Road

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They better be adding the ability to put jumps on tracks. And not like "pick a configuration that has jumps on it" I mean an editor where you can place jumps wherever you want. I want to make a config for Okayama where you can jump over the fence at the end of the long straight and land at the end of the track.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNBDVQDtJbg

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Yassss Knockhill is coming to iRacing!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamnit, I just spent a bunch of money on cars this week. :shepspends:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iRacing: Now with a better rulebook than F1!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

iRacing: Now with a better rulebook than F1!

"We wanted a car that would be easy to overtake in and wouldn't be impacted by traffic."

Take notes, F1.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

That's cool as gently caress!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KillHour posted:

"We wanted a car that would be easy to overtake in and wouldn't be impacted by traffic."

Take notes, F1.

The new 2021 car actually looks really good in that regard, although it got pushed to 2022 because of corona :negative:

I can't wait for F1 with easier passing. Car looks hot as poo poo too.

So its like a Super Ultra Skip Barber. Sign me the gently caress up.

Did Dallara actually build one, or is this purely a concept car?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Did Dallara actually build one, or is this purely a concept car?

Concept car, but they did wind tunnel testing with models, I think.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
This is clever as fuckkkkkkk

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

That new iRacing dallara car looks super fun!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new M4 GT3 is coming to iRacing and Fanatec is also making a rim that is exactly the same as what is used in the car. Rims for the real car and the sim version supposedly come off the same assembly line. It communicates via CANbus or whatever protocol fanatec has with their rims. It will either be absurdly expensive, or cheap enough for nerds to buy and will constantly be broken for M4 teams.

https://twitter.com/iRacingMyers/status/1335258405532000261

https://bmw.fanatec.com/

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 5, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fanatec has categorized the wheel under their "podium" line, so it's gonna be absurdly expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it only going to work with their podium base, or will it be compatible with the clubsport base?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The name Apex Legends going to a game that isn't a racing game is a huge travesty and I just realized this today

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Calling things Apex in motorsport is like calling your FPS team 'Frag Masters' or some poo poo, it's a giant cliché

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drive: Apex Shift

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

WOLFPACK FULL SEND RACING PURPLE

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

WOLFPACK FULL SEND RACING PURPLE

Never thought I'd be able to say that I actively hate a virtual racing team, but Wolfpack can gently caress all the way off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

Is it only going to work with their podium base, or will it be compatible with the clubsport base?

I don't know about that one specifically, but it looks like their other podium wheels are compatible somewhat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just gave the rallycross stuff a shot. It's a lot of fun, but they need a beginner series that isn't "here's a 600+ HP monster try not to die"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The name Apex Legends going to a game that isn't a racing game is a huge travesty and I just realized this today

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KillHour posted:

Just gave the rallycross stuff a shot. It's a lot of fun, but they need a beginner series that isn't "here's a 600+ HP monster try not to die"

The VW beetle would be perfect if they had an option for a stock engine

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Cojawfee posted:

The new M4 GT3 is coming to iRacing and Fanatec is also making a rim that is exactly the same as what is used in the car. Rims for the real car and the sim version supposedly come off the same assembly line. It communicates via CANbus or whatever protocol fanatec has with their rims. It will either be absurdly expensive, or cheap enough for nerds to buy and will constantly be broken for M4 teams.

https://bmw.fanatec.com/

it's cool that you can use it in a real race car and all but it doesnt even have das FunkySwitch™ which makes life a lot easier in VR, ugh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shogunner posted:

it's cool that you can use it in a real race car and all but it doesnt even have das FunkySwitch™ which makes life a lot easier in VR, ugh

I find those too fiddly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alright, once rallycross clicks, it's loving amazing.

My second race in rookies, I qualified second so I told myself to not worry about being fast and just keep it clean and consistent. I wasn't all that consistent, but I was clean and I ended up taking first by 8 seconds with 0 incidents. My first win in iRacing - even though it was rookies so half the grid ate it on the first corner, I'm still counting it. And it left me with a huge rear end smile on my face. Being smooth on the dirt feels great and drifting is the only thing that's actually easier for me in iRacing than it is in other sims - I can really feel how the pedal brings you out and in.

Plus, after you win, you get to do a stupid victory lap where you hoon it all over the track like a jackass.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

Alright, once rallycross clicks, it's loving amazing.

My second race in rookies, I qualified second so I told myself to not worry about being fast and just keep it clean and consistent. I wasn't all that consistent, but I was clean and I ended up taking first by 8 seconds with 0 incidents. My first win in iRacing - even though it was rookies so half the grid ate it on the first corner, I'm still counting it. And it left me with a huge rear end smile on my face. Being smooth on the dirt feels great and drifting is the only thing that's actually easier for me in iRacing than it is in other sims - I can really feel how the pedal brings you out and in.

Plus, after you win, you get to do a stupid victory lap where you hoon it all over the track like a jackass.

Having never driven in anger on dirt in real life, it took me a really long time to grok how to drive fast on dirt in iRacing. Once I did, it really struck me how NOT aggressive it feels. It’s almost methodical, compared to pavement.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Having never driven in anger on dirt in real life, it took me a really long time to grok how to drive fast on dirt in iRacing. Once I did, it really struck me how NOT aggressive it feels. It’s almost methodical, compared to pavement.

Yeah, it's more like a dance and it feels really slow when you're doing it but you're actually going like a billion miles an hour but you don't notice because it's smoother and there's a lot less steering input. If you try to Ken Block your way sideways through the course, you'll end up in last or a DNF. I know, he does Rallycross IRL You know what I mean.

Luckily, I grew up in a place with snow so I'm okay at modulating traction. This is the first sim that feels "right" to me.

Edit: Made it out of Rookies in 3 races. :smug:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Rallycross rookies needs to be a 25 year old bimmer with no fenders, blizzaks, and straight headers out the hood