Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Translation: https://guya.moe/proxy/pastebin/efxcpHrV/1/1/
Edit: Nevermind the link below.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Elentor posted:

Translation: https://imgbox.com/C0vCcyP1
Edit: imgur seems to be out, there'll probably be a better server than imgbox soon.
This is an extremely NSFW host with tons of pop-up and probably should be tagged??

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AfricanBootyShine posted:

This is an extremely NSFW host with tons of pop-up and probably should be tagged??

poo poo, sorry. I had no idea. My adblock showed just a clean page.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Here's a new link: https://guya.moe/proxy/pastebin/efxcpHrV/1/1/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, he definitely blew up cthulu's head with his dilz.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Zombie Man is caked up, son.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like all of these men are naked somehow and I don't understand how it happened.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gologle posted:

I feel like all of these men are naked somehow and I don't understand how it happened.

Darkshine only ever wears a speedo. Prisoner bursts through his clothes constantly. Zombieman lost his clothes because he was essentially vaporized during a fight he had to retreat from.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ending to this chapter made me happy to be a Tank Top Fan.
Zombieman and Sweetmask kinda-sorta bonding in the end is also great. Of the changes to happen to the story I'm really OK with this one

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Hmm dont know if I like this "darky" nickname

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Eustace posted:

Thats a translator fuckup and shouldnt be in there. Localisation is important and having it be 'Shiny' would have been much better for the english speaking world because of you know, the obvious racist connotations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Thats a translator fuckup and shouldnt be in there. Localisation is important and having it be 'Shiny' would have been much better for the english speaking world because of you know, the obvious racist connotations.

Having heard the outcry, Puri Puri will refer to Darkshine affectionately by muscles going forward instead.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This chapter was sweet. But it very much feels like calm before the storm. Especially as none of them are talking about how much trouble they had. So I fully expect the monster to show up and show the newly bonded S class they're in over their heads. :(

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Eustace posted:

I enjoyed this chapter, but yeah, that was loving awful. At least it can be blamed on the translation, maybe? Unlike a lot of the other gently caress-ups in this manga.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I enjoyed this chapter, but yeah, that was loving awful. At least it can be blamed on the translation, maybe? Unlike a lot of the other gently caress-ups in this manga.

Its a bad job to translate it directly and not realize that you should take it another way, but Puri Puri Prisoner calls him Kuro-chan aka Black-chan. So while not as yabai its pretty bad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do you use the word "kuro" for black people in japanese?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Zereth posted:

Do you use the word "kuro" for black people in japanese?

The hero name is Chōgōkin Kurobikari, so he grabs Kuro from there for a nickname.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Blackie is a perfectly acceptable nickname in many languages/cultures. It's not racist, outside of the USA anyway.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I dont know why they would just use Shiney

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Blackie is a perfectly acceptable nickname in many languages/cultures. It's not racist, outside of the USA anyway.

:chloe:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They adapted the Okama's name "faithfully" :rolleyes: at first then got poo poo on enough to change it. They'll do the same this time, I figure.

Other than that awful choice of localization on their part, it was a good chapter and my body is extremely ready for Ultimate Evil Garou.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Suspicious Lump posted:

While "blackie" is a kind of pet name in Japan, it, uh, definitely is racist to refer to people as Blackie, no matter the context. Hard to say if the translator is racist and just wanted to do an edgy joke, or if they were just being overly literal with the translation. Either way it's a god awful choice of localization.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
There's always option C, where the scanlator wanted to maintain continuity with the translations of the ONE version, which was the one being edgy or overly literal.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yes, bunch of languages have it as acceptable nickname, because the word has no real baggage of being used as derogatory term in their culture and language. Which is why, when someone translates such nickname to English, they shouldn't just literally translate it as "Blackie", because that term has a baggage of being used as derogatory term in English language and American culture.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Scanlators doing a lovely translation? Well color me surprised

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
They should have gone with Shiny but I guess there's a chance the translators aren't actually familiar with the US?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Lump posted:

Uh, yes it is? Like here in Mexico and even in other Central/South American countries, the spanish equivalent is still hella loving racist.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 1, 2020

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Also New Zealand

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As it turns out, racism isn't unique to one country.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
darkshine isn't black, which makes the racist translation even dumber.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Again I think we should stress that the translation isn't explicitly racist. Translating Kuro-chan to Darky makes "sense" if you ignore all of the context - and if we're being honest here some of the questionable context falls on OPM itself with Darkshine not entirely "sitting right" from the perspective of someone raised in the US.

Obviously the translator could and should have taken the time to properly adapt Kuro-chan into something that doesn't have such terrible connotations in English, but I'm also willing to give them some benefit of doubt here. If I'm being honest I have never in all my years *heard* the term "Darkie" actually being used - I've mostly just read it in examples of bigoted texts from the Jim Crow era. If I hadn't ever read that I'm pretty sure I'd "miss" the obvious gaffe of translating PPP's nickname in such a way.

Has this translator hosed up like this in the past?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Super Rad posted:

Translating Kuro-chan to Darky makes "sense" if you ignore all of the context

Why would we ignore all of the context?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Bleck posted:

In order to perhaps understand the translator's decision rather than simply calling them racist? It's a literal translation that also happens to be a nasty slur (that I've never seen used in parlance in all my days which maybe explains how the translator would have been oblivious to the error).

E: And again if we want to pull all of the context in then is OPM racist too?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bleck posted:

Is the translator like, one of those people who doesnt speak english or japanese but does a translation anyway. That would be a reason to ignore all context, because you dont understand it and youre just picking lines from a machine translation

Not that I think thats what happened since it doesnt read like an awful machine translation. But arguing about edgecases is what makes me a goon.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Super Rad posted:

In order to perhaps understand the translator's decision rather than simply calling them racist?

The thing they did is racist. It doesn't matter what their intent was or what lead to them doing the thing.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Intent matters at like, practically every level dude

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Super Rad posted:

In order to perhaps understand the translator's decision rather than simply calling them racist?
I think the translator is just translating. That's what they're supposed to do.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Maybe I'm just jaded, but both "volunteer fan translator is bad at localization" and "volunteer fan translator is actually racist" are so common that it's barely worth talking about, at least not here.

There's a Discord link in the scans. Maybe raising concerns there get them to change it for future releases, or something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
based on other bad recent scans, I submit that Darkshine is in fact pogchamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

fwiw intention doesn't really matter (see the 'well-intentioned' native boarding schools in the US/Canada/Australia) but arguing over whether the translated nickname used for the buff blackface guy/golliwog doll on steroids is racist or not is missing the forest for the trees