Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I really need to study up more on reverse proxies as I still can’t get my head around what they do.

My worldview was much more straightforward and simple in punching through the firewall to the desired port/ip.

Going to dive into your suggestions, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

I really need to study up more on reverse proxies as I still can’t get my head around what they do.

My worldview was much more straightforward and simple in punching through the firewall to the desired port/ip.

Going to dive into your suggestions, thanks!

Basically it's a way to terminate SSL and then funnel your stuff through it. No matter what you do you want anything you forward to be using it.

There are a ton of other uses for reverse proxying but that's the big one.

E: if you're not giving the URL to anyone then just set up WireGuard and VPN into your network and access it that way.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I had a few selfhosted things set up via reverse proxy but ended up taking it down after seeing just how much random traffic was pinging my server lol. I'd probably just go with a VPS now instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I once found out that my radarr service was completely open to the outside world, as somehow the basic built in authentication was disabled and I didn’t do anything beyond forwarding a nonstandard port to it. Think I got lucky as nobody ever messed with it and it was that way for at least a year I think.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any ideas from people if there's a preferable choice between TheCubeNet and NewsDemon, which are both on sale? I live on a metered connection and just want one in case it's useful, but I don't know if one is better than the other.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

They're both Highwinds/NewsHosting resellers and both have 4200+ day retention. I would say go with NewsDemon because it includes a VPN service and I don't think Cube does.

Also, if for some reason the prices change in the future, NewsDemon does have a price match guarantee so you really can't go wrong. https://premium.newsdemon.com/usenet-price-match/

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
You can also set up your reverse proxy to do oauth and only let specific google accounts in, then nobody is gonna mess with it.

At that point you can just turn off the built in auth on everything if you wanted.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Just set up a VPN as suggested. It'll play better with your current knowledge

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

There used to be a million great black friday/cyber Monday deals. Am I just not seeing anything this year?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
On my FrugalUsenet annual renewal, I noticed they're now giving 300GB of Blocknews for free, along with the bonus Usenet.farm access. So at this point, I'm down to $40/yr for usenet access, and I feel like I should support usenet.farm directly more, but I already have 3TB of block that I've paid for and almost never use, because Frugal is surprisingly excellent and I almost never need my block accounts anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I once found out that my radarr service was completely open to the outside world, as somehow the basic built in authentication was disabled and I didn’t do anything beyond forwarding a nonstandard port to it. Think I got lucky as nobody ever messed with it and it was that way for at least a year I think.

What's the best way to test this, to make sure I am not doing the same?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Delzuma posted:

There used to be a million great black friday/cyber Monday deals. Am I just not seeing anything this year?

There is a deals megathread on /r/usenet but ya it does seem a bit slimmer this year.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

PitViper posted:

On my FrugalUsenet annual renewal, I noticed they're now giving 300GB of Blocknews for free, along with the bonus Usenet.farm access. So at this point, I'm down to $40/yr for usenet access, and I feel like I should support usenet.farm directly more, but I already have 3TB of block that I've paid for and almost never use, because Frugal is surprisingly excellent and I almost never need my block accounts anyway.

Thank's for posting this I completely forgot that I used to have a FrugalUsenet account and I'm grandfathered in at 40 bucks a year. Seems like the best deal going.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

To get the farm account, you need to add another server, so if it has been a while since you've set it up, go back to their website and follow the instructions.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

cr0y posted:

There is a deals megathread on /r/usenet but ya it does seem a bit slimmer this year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/k04ykd/2020_black_friday_deal_thread_confirmed_deals/

The deals seem comparable with last year, but not really better. Anecdotally, prices had dropped quite a bit over the last ~5 years, but we may be at the point where there's just not a lot of further room to drop. $2/mo for unlimited and $5/TB for blocks is just really cheap.

It's also likely that an increase of people sitting at home has increased usage so people paying for unlimited are using more and cutting into the bottom line of providers.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can anyone chime in on what kind of speeds they are getting with NewsDemon? I have gigabit fiber at home and benchmark at around 900mbit/s but can never do better than about 50MB/s from NewsDemon. (sabnzbd on docker on a pretty beefy Ryzen build). I have tinkered with connection counts and all the normal stuff but just don't seem to be saturating my link like I used to be able to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Probably try to connect to it from a machine that you've not used before/private session.

I was always under the impression that it was cookied and letting me in, until I happened to be in the pane where I could see it had just never been enabled for some reason.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

If you haven't explicitly forwarded ports to give Sonarr external access, you're probably fine, but if you type into your browser your external IP address, a colon, and the port Sonarr is listening on (8989 by default), you should be able to see if it's accessible (eg. 123.456.789.123:8989).

edit: do it from an incognito window so you can also test that the username and password are set up

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Put a slash (/) after the URL because otherwise some newer browsers will just do a search engine query for "ipaddress:port" which is so useful, thanks Chrome.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
You also might get a false positive due to hairpin NAT. Double check it via e.g. mobile data if it appears to be exposed.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

PitViper posted:

Delzuma posted:

Thank's for posting this I completely forgot that I used to have a FrugalUsenet account and I'm grandfathered in at 40 bucks a year. Seems like the best deal going.

If anyone wants this deal, you can now get it for $30 https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/holidays2020

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

sedative posted:

If anyone wants this deal, you can now get it for $30 https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/holidays2020

Well drat. Guess I'm spending 83 cents extra every month until next year! :classiclol:

It's a great deal at $40, and even better at $30. Looking at my downloader, I've had maybe 2-3 items a month fail as incomplete and grab a second copy, and I'm guessing most of those might be stuff grabbed before the upload is complete.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So this is new territory for me, bought some blocks from a few places and got myself into DrunkenSlug.

If you could do the automated stuff over again, how would you set it up? I see there's a lot of options but I'm curious what people's workflows are like. I have just been doing it all manually.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

So this is new territory for me, bought some blocks from a few places and got myself into DrunkenSlug.

If you could do the automated stuff over again, how would you set it up? I see there's a lot of options but I'm curious what people's workflows are like. I have just been doing it all manually.

Personally I use sabnzbd even though everyone says to use nzbget, but sab has never been anything but stellar for me.

I dump all my indexers into nzbhydra and let sonarr and radarr query that for searchs and then they get sent to sabnzbd which outputs to a media directory that my kodi and plex instances pickup. Took some time to tune just right but after it's done I rarely have to dick with it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

cage-free egghead posted:

I have everything running on a fairly lightweight Linux VM on my using Docker. It was fairly painful to get working in the first place, but now I can basically back up my config folders and a couple YML files for Docker and recreate it in 15 minutes if I have to delete the VM for some reason.

Other than that, basically everything cr0y said.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Wrong thread

Loucks fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

cr0y posted:

Personally I use sabnzbd even though everyone says to use nzbget, but sab has never been anything but stellar for me.

Me too but only because I set it up like a decade ago and it's still working fine.

Same reason I'm still using Apache to reverse proxy everything.... Setting it all up again with nginx would be nice but it's a chunk of time I'll never get back

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think at one point Sab started having bad feature creep, and nzbget supporting things like automatic retries which it didn’t made it a reason to change over (usually when setting systems back up from scratch). In 2020 I think the differences are probably negligible and just stick with what you know.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think at one point Sab started having bad feature creep, and nzbget supporting things like automatic retries which it didn’t made it a reason to change over (usually when setting systems back up from scratch). In 2020 I think the differences are probably negligible and just stick with what you know.

SAB worked better than NZBGet for me for some reason which was capping out at like 35MB/s compared to 50-60 on SAB but yeah either one is fine. I think SAB is a little easier to use too or just a little nicer interface.

anyways something that's kind of weird is I can't update Sonarr/Radarr/Nzbhydra2 from within the applications themselves through Docker. I have to manually download the image again in Docker, close out the app - clear data, and then re-start it which is just sort of a pain because I'd rather just have it automatically run it through apps (especially because I'm on beta for radarr/sonarr v3). is there something immediately obvious why they couldn't self-update? logs didn't seem to help

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You could just install that docker image that updates all your dockers

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yo dawg I heard you like Docker images...

My setup is in FreeNAS / FreeBSD jails, but I've had a rough time getting some things updated (Lidarr and Jackett are the latest two, I think), and it seems that the version of Mono they all use complicates the issue. Though, as I understand, that has more to do with the current version of Mono not being published to the FreeBSD 'app stream' so you have to self-compile and sideload it in to all of your jails. I had thought that one of the benefits of using a Docker image is that all that kind of stuff came 'baked in', but maybe its something similar with some random dependency refusing to update until you blow it away and install fresh?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

norp posted:

You could just install that docker image that updates all your dockers

Which one is that?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A container's internal storage is read-only. Some containers are configured to allow minor revisions to be stored in mounted storage but generally speaking the strength of a container is that the contents are immutable and the mounted volume is highly portable. The mounted volume ideally only contains stuff

At the risk of being a huge nerd, I don't use Docker but instead Red Hat's Podman (a drop-in replacement for Docker) which has some different strengths and weaknesses. Aren't Docker users supposed to just docker-compose up and their containers update and re-create? (EDIT: Upon research I can confirm that yes, yes they are. Maybe check that option out, Xaris.) One of Podman's weaknesses is a lack of docker-compose equivalency, but the strength is that you ideally hand control of run-on-boot containers to systemd, and can build a .service file that will remove/rebuild the container when you have systemctl start/stop it the same way you would control a "bare metal" install without containers. The net effect is no need to destroy/recreate containers to update their images, because the containers auto destroy when shutdown.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 1, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Xaris posted:

Which one is that?

I don't actually use docker for much (my usenet setup is freebsd jails) but I've got this one keeping my homeassistant docker image up to date

https://hub.docker.com/r/v2tec/watchtower

Looks like it's been abandoned, although maybe it's simple enough that it hasn't needed an update in 3 years.

Of course if you are using docker-compose you can just cron-job the update using that, this would mostly be useful if you are using manually installed/run images.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Oh, be warned it doesn't delete any of the old images so will gradually eat your storage unless you occasionally clean it up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you haven't explicitly forwarded ports to give Sonarr external access, you're probably fine, but if you type into your browser your external IP address, a colon, and the port Sonarr is listening on (8989 by default), you should be able to see if it's accessible (eg. 123.456.789.123:8989).

edit: do it from an incognito window so you can also test that the username and password are set up

I did in fact set up port forwarding because I wanted to be able to download TV shows or movies while out of the house. I just tried what you said, and got a pop-up for a username and password. I am hoping that's good enough? Or is there something else I should be enabling in the Sonarr/Radarr/SABNZBDB config settings?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Podman now has a built-in auto-update feature you might like to check out

https://twitter.com/rhatdan/status/1326652924483809280

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I’m using docker-compose to orchestrate all my containers and once a week or so I do a `docker-compose down && docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d` to update everything. I imagine it’d work fine as a cronjob, too (maybe throw in a `docker image prune` too).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I did in fact set up port forwarding because I wanted to be able to download TV shows or movies while out of the house. I just tried what you said, and got a pop-up for a username and password. I am hoping that's good enough? Or is there something else I should be enabling in the Sonarr/Radarr/SABNZBDB config settings?

You should be good. Obviously a strong password is a good idea, but it's unlikely anybody is going to brute force your username AND password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

A container's internal storage is read-only. Some containers are configured to allow minor revisions to be stored in mounted storage but generally speaking the strength of a container is that the contents are immutable and the mounted volume is highly portable. The mounted volume ideally only contains stuff

It's not that it's read-only, it's that it's ephemeral. You can write to it and it'll be saved in a layer, and then cleaned up the next time the container starts.