Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think the designed to die argument is bullshit. They’re just cheaply made with poor quality steel, with corners cut to save money wherever possible (poor fittings, seals, etc). The company wants profits now. That you have to buy a other one in five years is more of a happy accident.

If you cut enough corners that it dies in the warranty period they're out money. So at the very least they're designed to live that long, and if you cheap out as much as possible they aren't gonna live much longer.

Also the concept of planned obsolescence is a documented thing, but 'more profit now' and 'more profit later' are accomplished by the same thing here.

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some Goon posted:

If you cut enough corners that it dies in the warranty period they're out money. So at the very least they're designed to live that long, and if you cheap out as much as possible they aren't gonna live much longer.

You can pretty accurately design an engine or whatever to last at a minimum n years. The outliers don't really matter in the big picture; what matters is that most units fail within a few years of the guarantee period having ended.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

colas posted:

Anyone know what's up with new appliances regarding planned obsolescence? My parents just replaced a 5-ish year old refrigerator. A nice, brushed steel, pretty fridge. The first compressor went, the warranty covered it. 5 years later it dies again. Replacement is $1200. Might as well get a new one. The repairman - "they design these to die after 5 years". Do any new appliances last? Old fridge = whirlpool, new one = Samsung. Does it even matter that they switched?

A lot has to do with weight reduction, lower weight equals lower transportation cost. So the panels become thinner, and there's more plastic.

Also there's more electronic control. A few years ago, the buttons on my parents' new dishwasher just stopped working. It was under warranty, so a guy came and put a brand new control board in it. I looked at the old board - integrated circuits, everything surface mounted. Once the supply of electronic components for a particular model runs out, you are not going to be able to repair those newer appliances. Or at least not cost-effectively, which leads to my last point...

And automation and outsourcing drove down the price of appliances a lot in the past forty-fifty years. Comparatively, the cost of having your stuff repaired has not gone down. Often when someone tells you that something can't be repaired, what they really mean is that they can't repair for a price that most consumers are willing to pay.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I think it’s fair to say “don’t attribute to malice”

Planned obsolescence used to mean there is always some bullshit feature we can add to next years’ model that will make your 2020 refrigerator look like poverty. Except that’s not and shouldn’t be the case.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You can totally still buy appliances that will last and which are designed to be repairable for many years. They'll just cost you the same as two or three (or maybe six) consumer grade equivalents.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I think it’s fair to say “don’t attribute to malice”

Planned obsolescence used to mean there is always some bullshit feature we can add to next years’ model that will make your 2020 refrigerator look like poverty. Except that’s not and shouldn’t be the case.

No it didn't. Planned obsolescence is a thing that companies (and cartels) have been doing since the early 1900s at least, to make more money. They actually put money into researching ways to make their products break down. Check out the Phoebus cartel. It would be really weird to think things like this aren't still going on because... why wouldn't they (aside from cartels, you can get dinged for that)? There's no law against making your products suck and if you can make more money by making your products suck, you basically have to do it to make your share-holders happy.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ReidRansom posted:

You can totally still buy appliances that will last and which are designed to be repairable for many years. They'll just cost you the same as two or three (or maybe six) consumer grade equivalents.

Whether for home use or to start a restaurant, always buy restaurant equipment used. There's a never ending supply of failed restaurants in normal times, doubly so now.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

I think the designed to die argument is bullshit. They’re just cheaply made with poor quality steel, with corners cut to save money wherever possible (poor fittings, seals, etc). The company wants profits now. That you have to buy a other one in five years is more of a happy accident.

Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe this. I think happy accident is maybe putting it too lightly--maybe it is a minor design goal. But I agree--I don't believe that planned obsolescence is the main design goal for consumer goods nowadays.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

silence_kit posted:

I don't believe that planned obsolescence is the main design goal for consumer goods nowadays.

In terms of feature set, it might show up here and there. In terms of reliability, it never is.

If your Samsung fridge dies in 5 years, you probably won't be buying another Samsung fridge and you'll probably tell your friends not to get one either. The cost of that is greater than the margin Samsung would get by selling you one replacement fridge.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My friend, wait until you learn about the racket that is the HVAC business. Air Conditioners and Furnaces that have long parts warranties that fail after 3 years. No problem, we got your $50 part covered. But here's a bill for $800 for labor and coolant that's not covered.

They have separated the product and the installation as two completely different entities. Why should the installer warranty his labor when the furnace is at fault? We warranty our labor, but how do you tell if it's a fault with the installation or the machine? How should the HVAC manufacturer warranty the labor? Our part didn't fail because it was cheaply made it was, it failed because they installed it wrong!

How can you prove either?

All the while you're significant other and children are freezing/melting and you have urgency to just get it resolved.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

colas posted:

Anyone know what's up with new appliances regarding planned obsolescence? My parents just replaced a 5-ish year old refrigerator. A nice, brushed steel, pretty fridge. The first compressor went, the warranty covered it. 5 years later it dies again. Replacement is $1200. Might as well get a new one. The repairman - "they design these to die after 5 years". Do any new appliances last? Old fridge = whirlpool, new one = Samsung. Does it even matter that they switched?

:capitalism:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Slimy Hog posted:

Got new earbuds

Jabra Elite Active 75t. Got them on Ebay for cheap-ish

How do you like them? I have the EA 65 that got replaced under warranty and while I am happy with them I’d be down for an upgrade.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

colas posted:

I think Samsung appliances especially have a reputation for early compressor failure. Looks like there’s even a class action lawsuit about it, though I don’t know anything more than the headline there.

Yale Appliance Blog says that the big problem is that Samsung is now the most popular appliance manufacturer in the US, but their servicing hasn’t kept up with their growth, which leads to difficult to obtain parts and so many repair shops refusing to work on them. I can see how that works create an echo chamber of negativity when you have early failure of easy to replace parts that just can’t be replaced.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it didn't. Planned obsolescence is a thing that companies (and cartels) have been doing since the early 1900s at least, to make more money. They actually put money into researching ways to make their products break down. Check out the Phoebus cartel. It would be really weird to think things like this aren't still going on because... why wouldn't they (aside from cartels, you can get dinged for that)? There's no law against making your products suck and if you can make more money by making your products suck, you basically have to do it to make your share-holders happy.

The Phoebus Cartel was to control incandescent lightbulb lifespan so nobody produced lights that would last all that long, right?

This is a really good episode of 99% Invisible about a pre-cartel lightbulb that has been burning continuously for over 100 years

Cartels definitely still exist, like the artificial joint manufacturers in the US. Of the 7, 5 are in Warsaw Indiana and all collude to fix pricing and strategically not complete against each other. They have such sway especially in the US, that whenever someone gets joint surgery, they’re required to have a representative from the joint manufacturer in the operating room to upsell a different joint. Nowhere else does that happen, and the entire surgery (with the exact same joint) can be had in a developed country for less than the cost of the joint alone in the US.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

The Phoebus Cartel was to control incandescent lightbulb lifespan so nobody produced lights that would last all that long, right?

Wrong. Why would you even say that :confused:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is a really good episode of 99% Invisible about a pre-cartel lightbulb that has been burning continuously for over 100 years

Carbon filament bulbs lasted longer, but were really inefficient compared to tungsten filament bulbs, IIRC something like half of the visible light output for the same amount of power consumption.

The Centennial Light is kind of a fun oddity. But you can also argue that although it technically still works, its useful life has ended a long long time ago - it started as a 60 watt bulb, but now glows like a 4-5 watt tungsten bulb. It's like having a 100-year old washing machine that still technically works, but can only handle one single sock at a time.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I'm interested in what everyone is buying gift-wise for the upcoming holidays. I could use some inspiration.

Male Tiers has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Dec 1, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Male Tears posted:

I'm interested in what everyone is buying gift-wise for the upcoming holidays. I could use some inspiration

Pops got a Vornado space heater with remote.

Niece and Nephew are getting small form factor pc’s built from my old parts.

Snuggies are a good present this time of year too.

Friend of mine got a rear brake for his bicycle.

Another friend is getting a retroid 2 once it gets to the US.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Male Tears posted:

I'm interested in what everyone is buying gift-wise for the upcoming holidays. I could use some inspiration

I've gone down the rabbit hole of getting a lot of kitchen goods for people in the family who never really cooked before, along with at home activities/pampering.
Tea samplers for mom, tofu press for vegetarian brother, individual sriracha packets for idiot brother, nice soaps and bath bombs for sister, aliexpress cleavers for everyone, unicorn pepper mills, nice tea towels. Coffee gear and good beans for various people.

Nephzinho has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Dec 1, 2020

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

sterster posted:

They make these specifically for that. Searzall.

If you are thinking about buying a Searzall, at the moment there is no way to buy a real one. The real manufacturer got delisted from Amazon recently and only knockoffs are currently available. It looks like the image you used is actually a knockoff, here is what the real one looks like:
http://www.bookeranddax.com/searzall

I don't own one, I only know this because they team that made it also have a podcast called Cooking Issues and the latest episode has twenty minutes of ranting about how they got delisted right before Black Friday.
https://heritageradionetwork.org/series/cooking-issues

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Male Tears posted:

I'm interested in what everyone is buying gift-wise for the upcoming holidays. I could use some inspiration.

I bought my wife a couple of shearling coats and perfumes etc. But I need ideas for fun, small gifts.
I’d also like to find some weird and interesting flavour coffee beans for her

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Does she like the taste of civet?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I bought my wife a couple of shearling coats and perfumes etc. But I need ideas for fun, small gifts.

Does she like the taste of civet?

Yeah, you gotta go with the Kopi Luwak! (could be considered cruel)
There's also a similar coffee, but elephants poo poo it out instead of civets, so maybe look into that?

Barring that, if she's into booze, many indie roasters are making awesome barrel aged (rum, bourbon, etc.) coffees that rock. I would recommend you check out a few of the places local to me but they keep selling out of the barrel-aged stuff, so maybe look around your own metro area. :D

Finally, I saw durian flavored coffee at an Asian grocery recently but I was too afraid to try it. Maybe y'all can...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
[goons take abysmal care of their belongings]

Ugh what is this worldwide conspiracy of planned obsolescence!!!!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think Samsung appliances especially have a reputation for early compressor failure. Looks like there’s even a class action lawsuit about it, though I don’t know anything more than the headline there.

Yale Appliance Blog says that the big problem is that Samsung is now the most popular appliance manufacturer in the US, but their servicing hasn’t kept up with their growth, which leads to difficult to obtain parts and so many repair shops refusing to work on them. I can see how that works create an echo chamber of negativity when you have early failure of easy to replace parts that just can’t be replaced.

I know when I was shopping for a washer and dryer a few years ago, the salesperson at Lowes said the Samsungs are good, but almost unfixable in this area. They won't work with local shops, so you are reliant on Samsung.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Star Wars 2020 Lego Advent Calendar. Since the whole COVID thing, I haven't been able to take my kid on $5 Toy Friday trips. Hopefully this makes up for it until he gets his Christmas gifts.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nephzinho posted:

I've gone down the rabbit hole of getting a lot of kitchen goods for people in the family who never really cooked before, along with at home activities/pampering.
Tea samplers for mom, tofu press for vegetarian brother, individual sriracha packets for idiot brother, nice soaps and bath bombs for sister, aliexpress cleavers for everyone, unicorn pepper mills, nice tea towels. Coffee gear and good beans for various people.

Any particular AliExpress knives to look for?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Time for a new TV!

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/p759g1.html

It's replacing an 8 year old 53" Toshiba. Streaming apps don't work anymore and it randomly has a dead line down the middle of the screen that only goes away after yanking the power.

The old one is also pretty underwhelming in the big rear end room in our new house. 75" should be about right.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

Any particular AliExpress knives to look for?

I got gifted a CCK earlier in the year and fell in love with using a cleaver for bulk veggie prep, so i bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32577621142.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.69bb4c4dwjYg5s
for about every vegetarian I know.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wrong. Why would you even say that :confused:

Google says I’m right though?

Per Wikipedia:

“The cartel lowered operational costs and worked to standardize the life expectancy of light bulbs at 1,000 hours[6] (down from 2,500 hours),[6] and raised prices without fear of competition. The cartel tested their bulbs and fined manufacturers for bulbs that lasted more than 1,000 hours. “

It was also to control regional sales and distribution of lightbulbs, but one of their purposes was indeed to limit light bulb life span to drive sales. :eng101:

For content, I’ve been enjoying Katamari Damacy reroll on the switch so much I sprung for the vinyl:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've started buying all of my Christmas gifts. For my brother I got him a Lodge Combo Cooker and other kitchen stuff.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got my recently graduated brother a 3-cup Zojirushi rice cooker/warmer. I kind of just get him things that I want to have.

I always get my parents kitchen stuff, so I'm really trying to avoid that this year. I was thinking maybe some monthly subscription to something, but nothing's really standing out. Anybody know of any good ones at a decent price? I was thinking something edible - they don't really need "stuff"

colas
Feb 14, 2007

well since you got the rice cooker you should get him a big bag of msg or at least a big bag of rice and something to store it in. and if he wants to make fried rice get some soy, oyster, and fish sauce too and maybe a wok, I keep my rice in a big bucket from Lowe's

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Captain Lavender posted:

I got my recently graduated brother a 3-cup Zojirushi rice cooker/warmer. I kind of just get him things that I want to have.

I always get my parents kitchen stuff, so I'm really trying to avoid that this year. I was thinking maybe some monthly subscription to something, but nothing's really standing out. Anybody know of any good ones at a decent price? I was thinking something edible - they don't really need "stuff"

For coffee, I really like the Counter Culture subscription. Misfits is great for fruits and veggies assortment.

Anymore we just bake stuff for gifts. Jams, cookies, that sort of thing. Goes over great and doesn’t create more stuff for people that don’t need it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I know something that costs 10$

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

colas posted:

well since you got the rice cooker you should get him a big bag of msg or at least a big bag of rice and something to store it in. and if he wants to make fried rice get some soy, oyster, and fish sauce too and maybe a wok, I keep my rice in a big bucket from Lowe's

Seconding the Standard Asian Cook Starter Pack. From there he can buy expansions as needed, like the Single Burner Propane Stove and Wok, or the Steam Baskets for dim sum/ meat buns.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
On today’s episode of what weird rear end poo poo did I buy today:

(1) Soviet Screwdriver

This steel just bleeds red white and sickle

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

On today’s episode of what weird rear end poo poo did I buy today:

(1) Soviet Screwdriver

This steel just bleeds red white and sickle

The Soviets used a wait no gently caress!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Creality Ender 3 Pro, excited to try this whole 3D printing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Creality Ender 3 Pro, excited to try this whole 3D printing thing

What're you gonna pront?