Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Wow, that's reasonable. The drum mats I've seen here locally cost 3+ times that. For now I just got my old balcony rug in. The kick pedal had these little spike legs that dig into the rug and keep the pedal stationary pretty well.

I still need to figure out something for my drum kit though, because the TD-1K is so lightweight it kinda keeps moving during normal play. Maybe that mat, or maybe I need to buy some sand bags or something.

maybe you could take a rope and hook it around the legs of the frame and your throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AndrewP posted:

maybe you could take a rope and hook it around the legs of the frame and your throne

I'm starting to get the feeling that playing the drums means turning into a Dollar Store MacGyver.

I'm fine with that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Der Shovel posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that playing the drums means turning into a Dollar Store MacGyver.

I'm fine with that.

Pretty much. Many times I've had to turn to a 24 hour Wal Mart for repairs or enhancements to my kit right before a gig. Always, always bring extra heads though cause they don't sell those.

Also get a few rolls of gaffer tape because that will become your best friend.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

AndrewP posted:

i have a bungee cord in my cymbal bag for this purpose. copped the idea from a drummer in NYC

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

What would you use a Pennsylvania Love Goose and/or Morgan's Tape for?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

I'm fine with that.

Yeah, somebody (maybe this thread?) once said one difference between drummers and other musicians is that while they're all expected to know how to play their instruments, drummers are expected to know how to repair their instruments if necessary :downsrim:

I missed new drum kit chat, but like most others said, focus your cash on cymbals and a comfortable throne. As long as the shells and rims aren't physically damaged you can put decent heads on them and tune them carefully and they can be made to sound at least OK, especially for a learner kit. You have much fewer options in adjusting the sound your cymbals make, and you're not going to want to practice/play at all if your rear end goes numb after 20 minutes.

Here's 2 tuning videos I watched when I was trying to figure stuff out. First, Drumeo buys a cheap kit in a garage sale and goes through tuning it up. It's long as poo poo, no need to watch the whole thing, but it can be useful to be able to reference the entire process if you're just starting out with a physical kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneXSqMdnP8

But for a more quick'n'dirty general tuning job I started using this method from Rob Brown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEjrq_TFRg

Rob is a little too in love with the sound of this own voice, so get your right arrow key warmed up, but once he gets around to discussing the actual subject of the video I find he generally has pretty solid advice. He also has separate videos just for the snare and another for bass, but they basically boil down to do the same thing, but leave the bass a little looser and make the snare res head way tighter.

What I end up doing with a new head is going through this method, then 'cleaning' it up with the individual rod tapping discussed in the Drumeo vid. This should give you pretty good sound from any size drum without killing your entire afternoon chasing errant rod frequencies.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Rob is a little too in love with the sound of this own voice, so get your right arrow key warmed up, but once he gets around to discussing the actual subject of the video I find he generally has pretty solid advice.

as with almost every video on youtube (including drumless back tracks :v: ) my advice is always ALWAYS to click that gear in the lower right and change the playback speed to 1.25x :v:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

as with almost every video on youtube (including drumless back tracks :v: ) my advice is always ALWAYS to click that gear in the lower right and change the playback speed to 2x :v:

ftfy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

speaking of drumless tracks, Andre at Free Drumless Tracks is just insanely prolific and has pumps out tons of tracks to drum to. Very gospel/funk leaning but super fun to play. having so many great tracks to jam to has definitely gotten me behind the kit more.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeDrumlessTracks

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 21, 2020

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I also like the dude at Drumless Practice Loops / seanlang.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TuUcCX3eCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwPKLnBq_8

Though his loops are basically in perpetual verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus loops but hey he does a lot of good stuff for free.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reHzTocSlCs

:v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::v:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

disappointed every third measure isn’t half note CHOO CHOOs when i double the speed :sigh:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Hey all. I have a few questions.

Background- i bought a roland TD-1k many years ago. Starting the beginning of this year ive been going to lessons, so while im terrible, i was worse)

q1. Whats a good free metranome app that i can practise my rudiments with? (i have a practise pad set up by the pc, so im actually doing single rolls and parradiddles every now and then)

q2. i really hate the pad snare i have. I cant really explain it, but i just dont really like it. SO ive been thinking of getting an acoustic snare. Looking at prices (AUD), i could get steel snare for anywhere from $200-400. Though (without hearing it yet) i seem to have taken a liking to the yamaha tour custom maple at $470. OR i could upgrade my electronic snare for between $300-$400. I would probably use the acoustic more as it would be with my pad. My teacher says buy vintage 2nd hand Should i just go and hear the one i like and get it new? (i was originally going to spend money upgrading the brain but saw the price for just the next step up and lol'ed) ((I have already upgraded the kick to the TD9 with a propper pedal, and that difference was fantastic)

q3 is like q2, i really dont like the hi-hat. I can find the stands, but what the hell am i looking for for the actual hats

q4. Drumeo - the online lessons. good or bad? A year sub will cost the same as a 10 week face to face. but i really dont know if i have the dedication to use it even once a week. At least with the face to face i have to go, and i like that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That's basically the lowest "decent" e-kit you could buy so I'm not surprised you're sick of it.

Are you thinking you want to just transition into an acoustic kit altogether? I would recommend this because acoustic kits are great but word of warning, they are very loud. If you don't have to worry about your neighbors hating you then I would definitely go this route, but worth mentioning.

Instead of spending close to $500 on one snare you could get a full kit for that kind of money. I'd look on Craigslist, people are always trying to unload full kits that include cymbals and hardware for cheap. As long as it's in good shape you can make almost any kit sound half-decent through tuning. And it's going to sound a hell of a lot better than that TD1. Just much louder.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have a TD-17KV that I like, although I'd recommend the KVX if you're buying new or can find a used one.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

At the moment i wont have the space for a full acoustic kit. But when i do get the space i would get one. And ive looked for 2nd hand. People are selling their electronic kits for $400, acoustic kits start over $1k (there is 1 kit that is $30 cheaper than buying it new, at $700)

So atm. im just out for a snare and hit hat :/

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

q1. Whats a good free metranome app that i can practise my rudiments with? (i have a practise pad set up by the pc, so im actually doing single rolls and parradiddles every now and then)

as someone who’s spent money on multiple metronomes and used numerous free ones, they’re all functionally identical; get the one you like the look of, cuz you’ll be using it a lot

Meskhenet posted:

q4. Drumeo - the online lessons. good or bad? A year sub will cost the same as a 10 week face to face. but i really dont know if i have the dedication to use it even once a week. At least with the face to face i have to go, and i like that.

as a beginner/ intermediate musician, online stuff like this is great—it’s fun, it makes it easy to measure your progress, and it’s cheaper than private lessons. after a few years (or heck, even just one) i’d start looking into private lessons though; they’ll help you much more—and much more quickly—than pre-recorded lessons will

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Meskhenet posted:

Every 6 months or so I'll fall down a rabbit hole of trying to find a descent free metronome app and am shocked every time that such a thing does not seem to exist. They all seem to have some negative aspect to counter any positives they provide... Anyway the one I've ended up using the most is Metronome Beats on Android.

Jazz Marimba posted:

as a beginner/ intermediate musician, online stuff like this is great—it’s fun, it makes it easy to measure your progress, and it’s cheaper than private lessons. after a few years (or heck, even just one) i’d start looking into private lessons though; they’ll help you much more—and much more quickly—than pre-recorded lessons will

COUNTERPOINT: going to in-person lessons when you're first starting out is super important just so they can watch you play and make sure you aren't loving something up horribly, like with your posture or stick grip or whatever. It sounds like you're already going strong on an e-kit, so if you already have that history then great, but if you've never had IRL lessons before I'd say go in for at least a few. It sounds weird at first, but if you hold your drumsticks wrong for long enough you can do some pretty serious damage to yourself, and even if it's something more innocuous, having to un-learn and then re-learn something is a huge pain in the rear end compared to learning it 'right' the first time.

At a minimum, probably all of us should have a mirror set up in our practice space so we can watch ourselves play, there's a lot you can't see and don't notice about your own body that becomes obvious when you see it from the side. I still look over sometimes and see my right pinkie just waving in the breeze, I have to catch myself and will my back fingers to remain in contact with the stick.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cool.

As i said. I started face to face lessons once a week the start of this year. So it's been a year, and yeah. I never should have gotten on the drums without it. So much correcting poo poo that never should have been wrong to start with.

I dont mind the ekit, apart from the kick pedal (already replaced) the snare (even my practise pad feels better) and the hi hat. I went to the store today. They have a super quiet hihat/cymbal/ride combo for $200, then a stand for $100. That might solve my dislike for the e-hihat.

Looked at teh upgrade equivelents too. Pretty much that same price, but im pretty sure id prefer a hybrid set atm.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

COUNTERPOINT: going to in-person lessons when you're first starting out is super important just so they can watch you play and make sure you aren't loving something up horribly, like with your posture or stick grip or whatever. It sounds like you're already going strong on an e-kit, so if you already have that history then great, but if you've never had IRL lessons before I'd say go in for at least a few. It sounds weird at first, but if you hold your drumsticks wrong for long enough you can do some pretty serious damage to yourself, and even if it's something more innocuous, having to un-learn and then re-learn something is a huge pain in the rear end compared to learning it 'right' the first time.

agreed. it's like golf. tough to self-diagnose what you're doing wrong if you're new. or even know if you're doing something wrong.

my drum teacher when I was younger stressed the moeller technique, and even though it maybe never totally clicked back then as to what the point was I'm now very glad he drilled it into my head

I just wish I had practiced more and took it more seriously, he was great and I could have learned even more. alas the folly of youth

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

AndrewP posted:

most of the places (pubs mostly) I've played had carpet down, so the spikes were enough for me (my bass foot isn't as heavy as it should be so I can get away with more than most). But when I started playing in places with less grip I started carrying a bag of heavy duty black zip ties and making loops to hold the pedal to the frame. I'm using a simple Roland TD-11k and the narrow gap at the front works fine for this.

(don't forget to carry decent wire cutters to take them off when you're done)

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I recorded drums at a friends place and prior to the recording day, he bought a $20 outdoor rug from home depot and it was so big, we ended up just cutting it down the middle and each keeping a half. I've had that disgusting strip of folded up material in my hardware bag for over a decade and it's perfect for outdoor gigs or just throwing it down just in case the venue has a terrible stage.

My old stage custom bass drum had a habit of walking off from the pedal. Super fun to have happen during the last song of a set and you're screaming at the bassist to put his foot in front of it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hah, buying a cheap rug is a rite of passage for drummers.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

mine was a strip of ultra-thin carpet off a huge roll from home depot. still have it, but haven’t used it in years

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

My old bass player and I went dumpster diving at some carpet outlet in an bad part of town and got enough to carpet our practice space. The colors and patterns were all over the place but it worked.

Now when I'm with the wife at Homesense I'm looking at their rugs

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Picked up a Roland VAD 306 kit today on the cheap (thanks black friday) Looking forward to putting some work in on it.

I'm pretty fuckin hyped right now.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Bob posted:

Picked up a Roland VAD 306 kit today on the cheap (thanks black friday) Looking forward to putting some work in on it.

I'm pretty fuckin hyped right now.

Nice dude. How is it? That's a great little package I think.

What kind of pedal is everyone using? I have a DW 3000 that I just cannot dial in to feel good. I think I want something that's lighter and a little more 1:1, thinking about picking up a Tama Dyna Sync direct drive.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

AndrewP posted:

What kind of pedal is everyone using? I have a DW 3000 that I just cannot dial in to feel good. I think I want something that's lighter and a little more 1:1, thinking about picking up a Tama Dyna Sync direct drive.

As a broke teenager I saved up to buy an Iron Cobra double and used it for years and it never felt right. I finally got rid of it and ended up with original-style Pearl Eliminators which I've always loved.

I've never really had a chance to try direct drive pedals though.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Have bought several DW5000s. Broke the footplate in half on my first one. Bought another and then for some reason, another so now i have a back up. I'm not that heavy footed anymore. I've always liked the feel but I'm a single pedal player and it's really the only pedal I've extensively used beyond the stock yamaha pedal my first kit came with.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I Might Be Adam posted:

Have bought several DW5000s. Broke the footplate in half on my first one.

:same:

The 1st pedal lasted about 10 years and I had a pretty heavy foot back then.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Can't imagine the force it would take to break my footplate in half. You guys must be seriously :black101:

My DW just feels a little sluggish. I like working doubles in and it feels like I can't do them at will. I know this is probably at least 80% my problem and not the gear since there are plenty of people that play my pedal and can do it, but I still am tired of fighting it and want something lighter.

I tried the Dyna Sync at a Guitar Center and it felt very nice.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been working on my foot technique for the last few months, was having a real bad time for a while when I messed around with the spring tension and beater angle and all of a sudden my right hand started rushing ahead of my right foot and I couldn't make it stop :(

I'm still working my way out of that mess, but one silver lining is that I've found a technique that lets me do quick doubles way more comfortably than before. Previously, I was trying to do a straight up-and-down movement with my leg, as described here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK8UJgvsFks&t=680s

But after struggling with that for a while and then seeing this video about double foot tech and dynamics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6vIZO85fBI

hearing him recommend keeping an obtuse angle at your knee i.e. your leg goes forward a bit, not straight down, I started experimenting with kicking my foot forward and catching a bit of rebound for quick doubles and that is instantly easier and more comfortable for me. I still can't do it consistently, and I'm in that awkward learning stage where I have to concentrate on my foot to do it so anything I'm doing with my hands gets messed up, or vice versa, but I'm definitely fully converted into trying to use that method for quick doubles or even more if I can ever work out how to cleanly catch multiple beater rebounds.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting to hear Lang say don't get a motorcycle style throne, which is what I have. I've been jacking my throne up higher to make it less work to do quick bass strokes but I always suspected I might be better off with a round throne to lend more support to my thighs.

The way I do doubles are basically toe-heel, or like toe-foot. Basically like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcUBSvY3bY&t=189s

But yesterday I was trying to dial in my current pedal some more before running out and buying a new one, and it struck me that my issues are mostly about leg fatigue. That leg lift gets rough. I can do doubles pretty easily at the start of a session, but pretty soon my leg gets tired and I just can't reliably lift it up to do that technique while keeping my balance doing other things on the kit.

I need to do core exercises I guess.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Nice dude. How is it? That's a great little package I think.

I've spent the last couple days setting it up (work, family, etc) but all that is left now is wiring it and connecting power. I'll be taking it through its inaugural session tonight and I am incredibly stoked. I've played around on it a little bit "Dry" and honestly the pads feel great and even the cymbals feel fairly natural. I am extremely excited. Looking forward to checking out the "Melodics" software as well, since its been years since doing any serious drumming and I've got rudiments and chops to build back up. Looks like a fun little program and a way to practice/learn meaningfully.

As far as the pedal goes I've got my old Iron Cobra, going to take some time to see how that feels, cant say I was ever terribly impressed with it when I was younger, i've got some learning to do about pedals before I consider purchasing something else.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

But yesterday I was trying to dial in my current pedal some more before running out and buying a new one, and it struck me that my issues are mostly about leg fatigue. That leg lift gets rough. I can do doubles pretty easily at the start of a session, but pretty soon my leg gets tired and I just can't reliably lift it up to do that technique while keeping my balance doing other things on the kit.

I need to do core exercises I guess.

That was my main impetus to looking for an alternative leg technique, with your knee at 90* lifting the leg straight up is working directly against gravity, while with your leg angled forward you're kind of working along a triangle's hypotenuse, lifting up less but also pulling it back some. So you get the same overall distance away from the pedal without raising your leg as high.

The way I know this is working better for me is in my trying to learn Spaceman by the Killers at full speed. It's not particularly speedy, but 90% of the song is near-constant 8th notes on the bass at around 152bpm for 5 minutes. Moving my leg straight up and down, even with a lot of ankle action, gets HARD after a few minutes. Switching to a more 'kicking forward' technique was immediately easier and less tiring, I could instantly get through the song without any issues tiring out (I still can't do it cleanly at 100% speed, but 90% became cake).

Not that I don't also need to work my core back up, between picking my left foot up trying to work in more HH pedal and being covid-banished from the gym for 8 months my overall balance/stability is suffering :downsrim:

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I have a vintage speed king I got from a local drum shop. The best part of it and the reason I got it is that it can disassemble into something relatively flat really easily without tools. I'm sure there's better pedals I could've got for $100 but the thing looks cool at least

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Finally got to jam on my VAD 306 kit. This will definitely do for now, loads of fun and didn’t wake up my toddler. Feels like the cymbals will take the most getting used to, as well as dialing in some of the kits/tone etc. looks like I’ve got a lot to learn about the module.

All that being said I’m incredibly stoked to be able to drum at home Again. Time to put in some work

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like there's an update for the TD-17, so do that ASAP.

You're definitely going to have to dial in the kits at first, particularly the volume levels and sensitivity of each drum. My TD-27 module was pretty underwhelming when I first turned it on, but after updating it, setting the levels correctly and doing some light instrument customization, it's feeling really good.

Another tip is to go in and change the trigger curve for your snare from Linear to Exp1 or Exp2. feels much better to me anyway, makes ghost notes a lot easier. you can go through each option and see which one feels best to you though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

a mysterious cloak posted:

Hah, buying a cheap rug is a rite of passage for drummers.

I bought a piece of carpet for my old truck (it had a booted canopy) that doubled as my drum rug if needed if the venue didn't have anything back before we van'n'trailer'd up. Actually wait I was broke as hell back then so it was most likely a chunk from new carpet scraps from a shop as well.

god drat that was a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bought the Tama Dyna Sync direct drive. Replacing my DW 3000.

I am not used to DDs and it's very light, which I expected. Able to rip off doubles super easily. I reeeally like the long footboard, which I hadn't even though about.