Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FreeKillB posted:

Given how everything is disappearing I think it might be quite a while before things stabilize to a 'OK now you can buy things without it being a pain in the rear end' situation.

I think it's gonna be a very long time until it stabilizes, but I haven't given up hope and am still in the Discords trying to get drops when they happen. Even if I immediately click on a notification as it appears, the items are sold out by the time the page loads. If i do get lucky and get to add it to cart, by the time checkout is completed they are gone. Twice i've gotten lucky enough to place an order and both times the order has been canceled.

Still dreaming though and bought a nice motherboard today because it's apparently a very good mb and was restocked at Newegg. Maybe i'll get to add other parts to it one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does the CAS latency make a big difference with regard to RAM? I'm not familiar with what that means.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
God what a time for my 8 year old rig to poo poo the bed.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Have a troubleshooting question for my latest build. I've only had this happen two times now over the last 2 weeks, but I'm wondering how best to diagnose.

Occasionally, I'll start seeing my PC get random graphics tearing and slowdown and then reboot itself. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but it doesn't seem like temps are the issue (CPU and GPU both well under 65c peak), and when testing all my peripherals with my old PC, no issues there. I've double checked that all the components are seated correctly, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with my cable management. My main culprit is a faulty PSU, but I'm not sure how to figure if that's the issue at all. Any ideas?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Have a troubleshooting question for my latest build. I've only had this happen two times now over the last 2 weeks, but I'm wondering how best to diagnose.

Occasionally, I'll start seeing my PC get random graphics tearing and slowdown and then reboot itself. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but it doesn't seem like temps are the issue (CPU and GPU both well under 65c peak), and when testing all my peripherals with my old PC, no issues there. I've double checked that all the components are seated correctly, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with my cable management. My main culprit is a faulty PSU, but I'm not sure how to figure if that's the issue at all. Any ideas?

Sounds more like faulty gpu.

PSU tends to work or do nothing.

Its behaving like an unstable overclocked card.

Can you put the gpu in another computer? Fastest way to check.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to try to pick up a new SSD because 250GB just isn't cutting it like it did in 2015. I've got a M.2 slot on my board (I think nvme but I'll check), what are the brands/models to go for these days? I remember people used to like the Crucial MX500 and the latest Samsung but that was a year or two ago.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

spunkshui posted:

Sounds more like faulty gpu.

PSU tends to work or do nothing.

Its behaving like an unstable overclocked card.

Can you put the gpu in another computer? Fastest way to check.

Thanks, that's helpful. I can put my old graphics card in this PC and swap out my new one to the old PC, but given that it's happening so intermittently, I'm not sure how I'd know if that actually fixed it without using for another week or so.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. I can put my old graphics card in this PC and swap out my new one to the old PC, but given that it's happening so intermittently, I'm not sure how I'd know if that actually fixed it without using for another week or so.

Ok good we have everything we need to rule things out.

Just use a benchmarking tool for graphics cards and run that poo poo on loop.

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Fire up Haven and leave it running continuously.

If the GPU is faulty it’ll crack in minutes to hours.

Edit: by crack I mean program will crash or bsod. It wont kill anything unless you run your rig in a plastic bag.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to try to pick up a new SSD because 250GB just isn't cutting it like it did in 2015. I've got a M.2 slot on my board (I think nvme but I'll check), what are the brands/models to go for these days? I remember people used to like the Crucial MX500 and the latest Samsung but that was a year or two ago.
Western Digital SN550 is great value right now.

Eustyce McGillicutt
Jun 30, 2007
So what I'm gathering from the last 3 pages or so it's a real bad time to jump back into building a gaming PC if you last built one in 2009-2010? For reference I'd be shooting to build one a step up from a starter build. Maybe in the range of $750?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Eustyce McGillicutt posted:

So what I'm gathering from the last 3 pages or so it's a real bad time to jump back into building a gaming PC if you last built one in 2009-2010? For reference I'd be shooting to build one a step up from a starter build. Maybe in the range of $750?

Id consider intel of you have a micro center near buy since AMD is sold out hard.

For the GPU I would look for a 400$ card to launch like the 3060.

Gpu market sad right now.

edit: its "time to scalp noctua fans" bad out there.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 1, 2020

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?

sean10mm posted:

I would also get a bit of a better PSU than that, e.g. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

e: A video card worth getting for $250CAD is tough. The 1650 is better than the 1050 Ti but not amazingly so. RX580 if you can stretch the budget some?

nitsuga posted:

You might consider a 1650 Super too. It looks like it punches pretty well against the RX 580 suggested earlier but is newer and less power-hungry (Source: https://www.techspot.com/review/1945-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super/).

I've got one in a similar build, and I'm digging it so far. I've only played a little Witcher 3 on it, but it's held up to that at 1080p pretty well. I'd get in on the 3600 while you still can, seems like a pretty good price considering everything's a little more expensive up in Canada. Prices on those have been all over the map in the last week or so in the US.

Thank you all for the advice! I think I might stick with the 1050ti for now and save up to upgrade later on, unfortunately it looks like the Staples price for the 3600 was too good to be true and it's out of stock now there too :( I'll keep my eyes out!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This may be a volatile question, but of the big third party graphics cards markers (gigabyte, MSI, Asus, etc) are there any I should tend towards or avoid?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

This may be a volatile question, but of the big third party graphics cards markers (gigabyte, MSI, Asus, etc) are there any I should tend towards or avoid?

Nope!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Somehow I managed to get an order in for a 5600x from Amazon, delivery date..... February 9th!

Gives me a few months to get video card.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MikeJF posted:

I'd get a PNY 3080 if I could... :ohdear:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Spend all day in discord or f5'ing for a 5600X or 3070. The good last-gen stuff is all sold out too.

New thread title: It's all sold out. Yes, all of it.

Ah, unfortunate. But what Mobo and RAM for a Ryzen 5600x would I be looking at in the meantime?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think high speed ram is good? Over 3000, though I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Ryzen wants fast memory but it's a bit weird.
Zen 2 benefitted easily from Ram up to 3600 because several things would run in 1:1 ratio with it, so 3600 with low timings (16 good, but 14 was possible) was a pretty simple sweet spot.
Zen 3 should be similar but the sweet spot now should be 4000, but almost every motherboard isn't able to run stable at those speeds, but could be able to once AMD provides updated code to manufacturers.
3600 cl16 and 3200 cl14 memory should still perform pretty well.

On the overclocking side I know they are looking for specific types of controllers on the ram itself, if it is single rank vs dual rank, and some other criteria so there is a deep rabbit hole if you want to dive down.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY6FXMM

APC 1500VA UPS is on sale right now for $115, lowest it's ever been for that price point, if you want to get one. I did, since my 650W APC battery is dead and it's from 15 years ago or something

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The "DDR4 4000 is the sweet spot" is basically a myth. Even Gamers Nexus gave up running that 1:1 with Zen 3, and if you can't do that you actually lose performance vs. 3600 CL16/3200 CL14. Plus the markup to get 4000+ speed ram is stupid as poo poo.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I cant see the PC parts market ever stabilizing from this in the short term, this is (to my eyes at least) a really weird time where the last gen stuff is loving disappearing or not being made anymore. There aren't magically going to be more 3600 processors and 2060 Supers AFAIK to stabilize the low end market.

Like in 6 months there aren't magically going to be warehouses full of zen2 chips being sold at a discount. There may be even less incentive this generation since you can get a console for $400-500.

A 3070 and a zen3 + board + RAM is >$1k right out. Heck with tax a 3060ti and a 5600x setup is around a grand with no case (shortages on good ones), PSU (price gouging and shortages), etc

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 1, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just wait till one of the memory factories set themselves on fire again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY6FXMM

APC 1500VA UPS is on sale right now for $115, lowest it's ever been for that price point, if you want to get one. I did, since my 650W APC battery is dead and it's from 15 years ago or something

This is often omitted from build guides, but I really think a UPS is critical hardware for any computer >$1000 USD!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh! The 3060 exists:

https://gizmodo.com/nvidias-rtx-3060-ti-is-the-mid-range-gpu-champion-1845774194

Apparently it maxes out at 200 watts and Nvidia's recommendations are only a 600W supply, so I guess I'll try to grab this over a 3070 if I can.

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 1, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My PC got into the top 10% of systems on the Time Spy benchmark with the same CPU/GPU as mine, in spite of:

1) Actually lowering the PPT on my 5800X from 142 to 120
2) Actually undervolting my RTX 3070 to 1900@875mV (stock it will boost to like 1,998@1,100+ or some poo poo and get hot as balls)
3) Overclocking the VRAM a little

The difference vs the average seems to be... much higher than average CPU score? With no OC at all?

My only guess is that most people are running slower RAM or just forgot to turn on XMP, but it's not like I'm running anything exotic, just Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb 3600 CL16 with XMP turned on and nothing else. Or maybe some people have total trash mobos whose VRMs poo poo the bed trying to deliver a measly 142 watts that are bringing the average down? Actually less, because even the CPU test portion of Time Spy isn't anything nuts.

:iiam:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 1, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Is your room cold?

Colder parts run faster.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spunkshui posted:

Is your room cold?

Colder parts run faster.

Not especially.

It's in a decent airflow case (Meshify C) but the fans curves are all slow on purpose to keep it pretty quiet. Under load it's like 28-29db @ 1 foot from the front of the case, which is pretty unscientific since it's just a dumb noise meter phone app, but still.

None of this really matters, it's just sort of a funny oddity.

Maybe everyone is using cases like this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupiPZybyBE

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
What I am trying to build:

The flattest/smallest computer for data backup that can hold (2) HDDs. All of the cases I have seen for smaller computers are "bricks" but I am trying to keep the stack height as small as possible. The best I have seen are the 1U server rack cases that can hold (4) HDDs but these are too wide for my application (max acceptable width of 17.5" where I am trying to put it)

Anyone got any suggestions for a build?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

sean10mm posted:

Not especially.

It's in a decent airflow case (Meshify C) but the fans curves are all slow on purpose to keep it pretty quiet. Under load it's like 28-29db @ 1 foot from the front of the case, which is pretty unscientific since it's just a dumb noise meter phone app, but still.

None of this really matters, it's just sort of a funny oddity.

Maybe everyone is using cases like this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupiPZybyBE

You've been a pretty consistent advocate for good CPU heatsink/fans (and saved me from going too small for mine!). This seems like maybe pretty good evidence for your Good Word here.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

nollij posted:

The flattest/smallest computer for data backup that can hold (2) HDDs. All of the cases I have seen for smaller computers are "bricks" but I am trying to keep the stack height as small as possible. The best I have seen are the 1U server rack cases that can hold (4) HDDs but these are too wide for my application (max acceptable width of 17.5" where I am trying to put it)

There’s definitely a world of “consul size” cases out there

SilverStone Technology Mini-ITX Slim Small Form Factor Computer Case RVZ02B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161UXX9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_zaNXFbSK04PCD

I did almost 0 research so That might be a bad product but I’m I know I’ve seen a lot of cases that are similar to this size.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

You've been a pretty consistent advocate for good CPU heatsink/fans (and saved me from going too small for mine!). This seems like maybe pretty good evidence for your Good Word here.

Most of the people that download and run these programs aren’t running an Intel stock cooler though because they tend to attract a different audience.

I’m putting my money on people cheaping out on their ram since traditional knowledge for gamers is that ram doesn’t matter at all. Not to mention the number of people that aren’t running the ram at the xmp speeds

Another thing could be background process or lack there of if you run a clean system.

I would imagine most people have some random assortment of RGB software running in the background that they aren’t even using.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I dunno about cooling - the 5800x does not come with a cooler, so you'd expect a decent range of solutions for people already buying an enthusiast part at the $450 level.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spunkshui posted:

Most of the people that download and run these programs aren’t running an Intel stock cooler though because they tend to attract a different audience.

I’m putting my money on people cheaping out on their ram since traditional knowledge for gamers is that ram doesn’t matter at all. Not to mention the number of people that aren’t running the ram at the xmp speeds

Another thing could be background process or lack there of if you run a clean system.

I would imagine most people have some random assortment of RGB software running in the background that they aren’t even using.

That's my guess too. God knows how many people are carrying over DDR4 2400 from their old builds, or are running cheap RAM with a decent to good speed # on paper but trash CAS latency, or just forgetting to turn on XMP. If I gave a crap I could run with XMP off and see how much it tanks my score. :haw:

There are probably some number of pure trash builds that are skewing the averages down, and all the xtreme overclockers are playing with 5900X/5950X and RTX 3080/3090 systems.

bus hustler posted:

I dunno about cooling - the 5800x does not come with a cooler, so you'd expect a decent range of solutions for people already buying an enthusiast part at the $450 level.

I kind of agree there, also the Time Spy CPU test is just really short so CPU heat is kind of just not a problem outside an extreme bad build.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nollij posted:

If it’s literally just for data backup why not run a NAS? It’ll likely be significantly smaller than anything you could build.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Are Seasonic, EVGA, and Corsair still the go-to PSU vendors? Don't need to replace it now, but my SS-1050XM2 is apparently going to be outside of the 7-year warranty by this time next year so I plan to watch pricing if/when things stabilize. From what I understand this is more or less a 10 year PSU but it came out when they weren't offering those warranty terms. My current desktop will pull 550W or so from the wall so I probably could get away with a 750W or 850W replacement. Only went with this 1050W unit as it was a trade from a well-known PSU reviewer and that's what he was testing at the time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is there a thread for asking questions about prebuilts? I'm looking at some computers on iBuyPower with the general goal being I'd like a decent prebuilt for under $2k that would allow me to play new releases at ultra / 1080p (though I'd like to try 4k/VR one day). I'm looking at a customish one, which is a bit more expensive than one that's already built and ready to ship, but I'm not super picky and this one would be easier to acquire since it seems like it can take a long time for the custom ones to ship (especially with a 3070)

the ready-to-ship one is this:https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gaming-RDY-LCIIRG201

the custom one is:

anyway please refer me to the more correct thread if there is one, i know i should be building a PC but i'm just a bit more comfortable with a prebuilt having a warranty and stuff.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
My current setup keeps overheating now that I've put a 3090 in it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a case with good airflow that can fit a 3090?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mycroft Holmes posted:

My current setup keeps overheating now that I've put a 3090 in it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a case with good airflow that can fit a 3090?

Meshify 2 or S2, P400A Digital, P500A D-RGB is even better but never in stock. Probably some others I'm forgetting.

What's the rest of your system?

e: A decent number of 3090 cards will fit in a Meshify C too, but not all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Frog Act posted:

Is there a thread for asking questions about prebuilts? I'm looking at some computers on iBuyPower with the general goal being I'd like a decent prebuilt for under $2k that would allow me to play new releases at ultra / 1080p (though I'd like to try 4k/VR one day). I'm looking at a customish one, which is a bit more expensive than one that's already built and ready to ship, but I'm not super picky and this one would be easier to acquire since it seems like it can take a long time for the custom ones to ship (especially with a 3070)

the ready-to-ship one is this:https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gaming-RDY-LCIIRG201

the custom one is:

anyway please refer me to the more correct thread if there is one, i know i should be building a PC but i'm just a bit more comfortable with a prebuilt having a warranty and stuff.

That is a fine price but I don't think the CPU is worth it, can you build around the 3900x to save money? It's a really small difference in performance if they're charging extra. Also if you're paying a premium for a 2nd hard drive that is pointless, it'll take 30 seconds to install a sale one.

edit: Eh I dug into it and no you cant really

The processor selected is recommended to have 240mm liquid cooling or above for optimal performance. Please select a different processor cooler >>> lol at this for a 10700kf

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 1, 2020