Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a primate posted:

We are certainly not doing this to be nice.

the 2015 federal election spun on the dime of accepting more syrian refugees, so it may actually just be the fact that canadians broadly support it and it doesn't cost the government a huge amount to maintain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a primate posted:

This Is probably a profoundly stupid question, but what exactly is or has been the government stance on immigration? Weve been slowly increasing numbers for a couple decades now (~300,000 in 2016), so its clear several governments are pro-, but what is the reason?

We are certainly not doing this to be nice. Is this to prop up the housing industry? To create demand for goods in order to stimulate the economy? Who is employing all of these people when we are looking towards policies like UBI to offset the loss of jobs that comes with automation? Does it even matter?

Is there even a rationale besides more people = more good?

The media only discusses this issue in terms of racist attitudes regarding foreigners, and even the Harper government only feigned to try to increase the proportion of European immigrants. They still never limited it iirc, despite cries from their base. So, why?

if your population isnt growing its dying. you have to offset the effects of the population aging and Canadians arent exactly having a lot of children, on average. More population means more tax base, more productivity, more exports, etc.

Your number isnt net migration so its not really the whole picture. Canadas pop growth is not high even with these immigration levels, and its lower than the States.

theoretically economic migration works like a reverse brain drain where we bring in skilled labour to match shortages. in reality of course it doesnt work out so neatly and many immigrants end up doing lovely jobs that Canadians dont want rather than going into their field, at least in the short term.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

This Is probably a profoundly stupid question, but what exactly is or has been the government stance on immigration? Weve been slowly increasing numbers for a couple decades now (~300,000 in 2016), so its clear several governments are pro-, but what is the reason?

We are certainly not doing this to be nice. Is this to prop up the housing industry? To create demand for goods in order to stimulate the economy? Who is employing all of these people when we are looking towards policies like UBI to offset the loss of jobs that comes with automation? Does it even matter?

The media only discusses this issue in terms of racist attitudes regarding foreigners, and even the Harper government only feigned to try to increase the proportion of European immigrants. They still never limited it iirc, despite cries from their base. So, why?

why not? It's not like we are running out of land or food. Canada is a net exporter of food, it's better for the environment if the people come here and eat it instead of wasting fossil fuels exporting it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

Also in environmental terms, Canada is going to be more...durable in the face of climate change than a lot of other nations, so it's a moral imperative to let as many people come here as possible who will otherwise be underwater/in a drought

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Also in environmental terms, Canada is going to be more...durable in the face of climate change than a lot of other nations, so it's a moral imperative to let as many people come here as possible who will otherwise be underwater/in a drought

yep, when northern california's climate becomes that of the outback, vancouver's climate will be that of northern california

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Arivia posted:

The problem is, sometimes theyre the exact same. Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms (the biggest D&D setting) lives in Lindsay, and his work is often Ontarian as gently caress.

Theres a town named Kossuth after some Hungarian politician as an example. In the Forgotten Realms, Kossuth is the god of fire. Knowing that Ed (and most creatives) take good names from wherever they find them, I suspect he picked it out of a road map.

oh my god you totally just blew our minds

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Also note Canada has like some of the highest, most stringent, immigration standards in the world. This is not a wretched refuse of your teeming shore situation.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Stickarts posted:

Also note Canada has like some of the highest, most stringent, immigration standards in the world. This is not a wretched refuse of your teeming shore situation.

Yea Im not anti-immigration but the conventional wisdom seems to be that a contracting population is bad and needs to be remedied by immigration and Im just wondering why that is.

Im sceptical that the Conservatives are in favour of high immigration levels because its a moral imperative... this doesnt seem very on brand for them.

As someone suggested, I guess it could be that its a popular policy and nothing more. But I suspected there was some other, probably economic, benefit to immigration thats really driving the trend.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need a reason to be "pro immigration" because borders are imaginary and migration is the natural state of the world

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

a primate posted:

Yea Im not anti-immigration but the conventional wisdom seems to be that a contracting population is bad and needs to be remedied by immigration and Im just wondering why that is.

Im sceptical that the Conservatives are in favour of high immigration levels because its a moral imperative... this doesnt seem very on brand for them.

As someone suggested, I guess it could be that its a popular policy and nothing more. But I suspected there was some other, probably economic, benefit to immigration thats really driving the trend.

Cheap labour that you can force to live and work in your Tim Horton franchises is why cons love em

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

a primate posted:

good news, Starks answered your question

Starks posted:

if your population isn’t growing it’s dying. you have to offset the effects of the population aging and Canadians aren’t exactly having a lot of children, on average. More population means more tax base, more productivity, more exports, etc.

Your number isn’t net migration so it’s not really the whole picture. Canada’s pop growth is not high even with these immigration levels, and it’s lower than the States.

theoretically economic migration works like a reverse brain drain where we bring in skilled labour to match shortages. in reality of course it doesn’t work out so neatly and many immigrants end up doing lovely jobs that Canadians don’t want rather than going into their field, at least in the short term.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

good news, Starks answered your question

I missed that. Thanks Starks!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

think of it like a more efficient form of imperialism. rather than go into other countries and extract their wealth we simply invite the best people they have to come here and make the wealth for us

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a primate posted:

It is about economic benefits. It's also not some conspiracy, "economic benefits" is how it's sold to the population, and when you're an immigrant going through the naturalization process you are basically told "you are here because you are a benefit to the economy". Sorry to link you wikipedia but I think you'll find this article informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_impact_of_immigration_to_Canada

If you're talking about refugees, sure, it's framed as a moral imperative, but again there are more cynical economic benefits, and refugees only account for a small portion of immigrants, around ~14 percent. This is where Conservatives take a more reactionary approach - Harper increased the number of refugees while reducing their healthcare benefits, and Scheer campaigned on reducing the level of refugees but it didn't go well. That's another thing - being anti-immigration here comes with a significant political risk.

As for why a contracting population is bad, a country's first priority is ensuring it's own existence. If the population is contracting, all else being equal, that country will eventually cease to exist.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a primate posted:

From a national/demographic perspective it's pretty straightforward. We have an aging population (thanks baby boom) and we aren't having enough babies to meet our replacement rate. With zero immigration, our population would shrink and we would run into tax base problems over time as the non-working population of children and pensioners would steadily grow higher than our working population of middle-aged adults. Immigration is a safety valve that brings in workers in the prime of their working life to inject labour and money into our economy and prop up the aging older generations. I hate making the economic utilitarian argument for immigration, but it exists and you hear it from well-intentioned but stupid liberals in the US all the time: hey don't be xenophobic and anti-immigration, don't you know immigrants help the economy? Personally, I hate this argument because it implies that we shouldn't admit anyone who's not going to be a net gain for national tax revenue, which I think is a morally repugnant stance, but you'll see it get made all the time.

If your country has an aging population but doesn't admit immigrants to make up the difference, you face economic problems. You can still overcome them with some real work, but it's tricky. This is the situation Japan has been in for a while now--their population is getting really old but they aren't having many children and they admit very few immigrants. As a result you see big changes like a huge rise in automation, with (for instance) caregiving robots working in old-age homes because they don't have enough working-age adults to fill those jobs. But not every country can rely on that kind of model working out for them.

Certain politicians also see immigration as a chance to have the optics of morality and multiculturalism, welcoming newcomers to a nation of immigrants blah blah blah.

In practice, our immigration system is set up so that permanent immigration is highly restrictive, and we have all kinds of loopholes to get rid of immigrants we don't want to live here forever. The most egregious is the Temporary Foreign Worker program, which basically says "yeah come here and give us your prime working-age labour in the worst jobs we have to offer, then gently caress off again because we don't want to pay for you when you get old or sick." In my opinion that's the logical endpoint of the pro-economy immigration argument, which is why I think it's worth making the moral case for immigration as often as possible. Otherwise we end up with people saying "if all immigrants are good for is boosting the economy to balance against our aging population, then we might as well only admit temporary indentured servants."

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Dec 1, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

oh my god you totally just blew our minds

I'm glad but I'm also sad to report I was wrong. I asked Ed Greenwood on Twitter and he said the name Kossuth came from TSR, and wasn't his invention. :smith: MY COOL IDEA IS GONE

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

just extend citizenship to all of mankind. everyones Canadian now. Badda bing problem solved and we technically took over the world

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think the PPC is a good example of while there's a lot of regressive, reactionary thought in Canada, for whatever reason being anti-immigration isn't something that is super popular with the conservative base.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

enki42 posted:

I think the PPC is a good example of while there's a lot of regressive, reactionary thought in Canada, for whatever reason being anti-immigration isn't something that is super popular with the conservative base.
Unlike the US, our conservatives have in large part figured out that it's a good idea to appeal to immigrant communities. It doesn't always work*, but conservatives are notably more diverse here than in America. Even Alberta has South Asian, East Asian, Arabic, and West African cabinet members. Much as I disagree with conservatives, I can't deny it's much healthier to have a right-wing party that appeals to more than just reactionary whites.

*and sometimes you get some BS like Kenney blaming South Asian communities for COVID spread without accounting for their higher employment in public-facing jobs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The easiest way to immigrate here is if you have money, so it also seems like our immigration system is set up to siphon money and credentialed citizens from other countries.

Also the whole Canada becoming a better breadbasket as climate change hits is probably wrong, given the rate at which we're paving over our farmland.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/338Canada/status/1333762445928771589

checks out.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dreylad posted:

The easiest way to immigrate here is if you have money, so it also seems like our immigration system is set up to siphon money and credentialed citizens from other countries.

Also the whole Canada becoming a better breadbasket as climate change hits is probably wrong, given the rate at which we're paving over our farmland.

not only the farm paving, atmospheric warming isn't going to result in a smooth increase in average temps leading to lush farms it's going to result in chaotic, relentless weather fluctuations that get progressively worse

the idea of having a long-term advantage due to climate change is just insane, at best we'll get a few good growing seasons out of it before poo poo gets really wild and we end up with like weird weeds choking out all the canola or locust swarms or some other garbage

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
lol, the BC reality distortion field is intact. Everyone is over the moon happy with their 12% positivity rate.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

this is very true in southern Ontario. Tract housing uber alles

Also thanks for replying in earnest to my dumb babby question, its much appreciated

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

becoming a better breadbasket due to climate change is a foolish assumption based off of reading increased temperatures and thinking that'll be a nice steady stable increase instead of the reality which will be amplified violent swings like we've already seen with the polar vortex in wintertime. no more stable weather patterns makes it a hell of a lot harder for plants to determine their reproductive season and in general fucks them up. plus all the issues like an unseasonably early or late frost crippling crop production any given year

there's also a million other food production issues that will come up due to climate change (increased precipitation means bigger storms which wash away topsoil, hella dependence on fossil fuels for every bit of the food supply chain, etc)

Canada is definitely in a lot better position than other countries, but we're all still gonna be hosed

e: beaten by blatman

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

not only the farm paving, atmospheric warming isn't going to result in a smooth increase in average temps leading to lush farms it's going to result in chaotic, relentless weather fluctuations that get progressively worse

the idea of having a long-term advantage due to climate change is just insane, at best we'll get a few good growing seasons out of it before poo poo gets really wild and we end up with like weird weeds choking out all the canola or locust swarms or some other garbage

the great lakes region is going to be the best place to live in a climate apocalypse. it might not be as nice as it is now, but it will be better than anywhere else on earth

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

lol, the BC reality distortion field is intact. Everyone is over the moon happy with their 12% positivity rate.

It's so hosed. But I don't know how you adjust the general public's perspective when basically everything is still open. My partner's work is healthcare adjacent and most of their clients are immunocompromised, and they still have in-person meetings and group lunches. When the government is sending mixed messages, people will hear what they want.

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1333625530348814336?s=20
You can still go out for dinner, and eat indoors in Fraser Valley South. What message is that sending?

Edit: also note we don't do widespread testing of kids in schools and kids are more likely to be asymptomatic so who knows how many kids have covid but have been missed. In Toronto, 4% of asymptomatic students at one school tested positive for covid.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Also there's no contact tracing here unless you go to a restaurant and they remember to ask you to fill out the form with your phone number on it and the person who is infected remembers to tell the restaurant they were there after finding out they've got covid lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

becoming a better breadbasket due to climate change is a foolish assumption based off of reading increased temperatures and thinking that'll be a nice steady stable increase instead of the reality which will be amplified violent swings like we've already seen with the polar vortex in wintertime. no more stable weather patterns makes it a hell of a lot harder for plants to determine their reproductive season and in general fucks them up. plus all the issues like an unseasonably early or late frost crippling crop production any given year

there's also a million other food production issues that will come up due to climate change (increased precipitation means bigger storms which wash away topsoil, hella dependence on fossil fuels for every bit of the food supply chain, etc)

Canada is definitely in a lot better position than other countries, but we're all still gonna be hosed

e: beaten by blatman

Also agricultural suitability isn't as simple as "higher temperatures = better growth, bing bong so simple", you have to take into account a ton of different factors that will either not change no matter how warm it gets (hours and intensity of sunlight, soil quality, etc.) and factors that will change even more unpredictably than temperature (duration and intensity of rainfall, invasive species, etc.). Climate change is gonna gently caress us up no matter how much warmer central Alberta gets, and the idea of turning into the world's breadbasket just because our temperatures will go up a little is lol

there may be something to saying that Canada will do better than other places in climate change, but that's not related to expanding farmland, it's related to things like having a lot of land and few people, having abundant natural resources to exploit if global supply lines break down, having adequate existing agricultural production that might be more resilient to climate change than other places, being geographically less susceptible to some climate-affected natural disasters like hurricanes, and having oceans on three sides--but even those theoretical advantages don't guarantee any protection from our declining hegemon neighbour and climate change will make a lot of other things way worse, like to provide just one example they're already making wildfires in the West way worse, so thinking "yeah we're gonna be fine even if the rest of the world burns because our winters will be a little less cold" is really naive

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

blatman posted:

That's an even better point. Someone posted in D&D CanPol ages ago a research project by the University of Winnipeg (I think) that tracks and projects climate change on the praries and our breadbasket is going to get way hotter which really fucks with plant growth.

The key to having a climate that is amenable to growing crops is a climate that is predictable. Unpredictable weather is brutal for farming.

edit: beaten repeatedly

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hey look, proof that 30% of Albertans would rather die than criticize a conservative government.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ontario is way too high

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Dreylad posted:

ontario is way too high

i feel like theres been a propaganda campaign using the gross incompetence of Kenney to make Ontario look so much better.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Pretty dumb poll question. Im dissatisfied the actions arent more extreme, but this would be interpreted as being against the measures.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fashionable Jorts posted:

i feel like theres been a propaganda campaign using the gross incompetence of Kenney to make Ontario look so much better.

Idk about that but as usual I've heard a lot of canadians comparing themselves to america smugly. "Sure it's bad, but could be worse like the USA eh?"

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a primate posted:

Pretty dumb poll question. Im dissatisfied the actions arent more extreme, but this would be interpreted as being against the measures.

yeah its very ambiguous. I would probably say yes if asked because I wouldnt want my answer to be used to justify rolling back measures.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

"Sure it's bad, but could be worse like the USA eh?"

canada.txt

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Idk about that but as usual I've heard a lot of canadians comparing themselves to america smugly. "Sure it's bad, but could be worse like the USA eh?"

This is BC but Alberta instead of USA :haw:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Starks posted:

yeah its very ambiguous. I would probably say yes if asked because I wouldnt want my answer to be used to justify rolling back measures.

Same, crappy response bias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dreylad posted:

ontario is way too high

Ontario is a lot like Ohio or Michigan: populated modern cities with vast swaths of redneck in between.