Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Mu Zeta posted:

I usually advise avoiding first gen not because of price/performance but because something is irreperably hosed on the initial releases in the past. But Apple seems to have avoided that this time. Like when they first switched to Intel those things ran mega hot. A goon opened his MBP up and found a poo poo ton of thermal paste splattered everywhere like a bang bros production. And of course the butterfly keyboard were poo poo in that first 12" and the first Air had the horrible hinge that hides the usb ports.

Completely true as this was about the first MBPs, I was still glad to have bought one when I did. I needed a portable desktop replacement for entering college later that year and no other Mac was even close to those Core Duo MBPs in terms of speed and capabilities while not being a behemoth G5. It served me well for many, many years and then I loaned/gave it to someone else for many more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is why you just wait for reviews on the product. Never pre-order in general. It doesn't matter if its 1st gen or 5th gen. Always research the reviews on the product.

The reviews on the M1 macs have been pretty much universally extremely positive, and unless you need a very specific piece of software that doesn't work under Rosetta you should at least be considering it as an option if you are looking for a new computer.

yeah to be honest i don't get the appeal of pre-ordering pretty much anything. i know some people do it for gifts or whatever, but i'd rather always wait for some reviews to trickle out.

even then the vast vast majority of reviews are pretty mediocre because they're just journos writing about tech. often useful to get a baseline, though.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Data Graham posted:

Back in my day computer speeds would double every six months so nobody bothered buying computers

the only way to win is to not play at all

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The reviews are overwhelmingly glowing for the M1 Mac so you can't really go wrong.

The biggest caveat I've seen is if you want a more 'premium' Pro, then probably wait for the next update since the Air and Pro are pretty similar at the moment.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mediaphage posted:

yeah to be honest i don't get the appeal of pre-ordering pretty much anything. i know some people do it for gifts or whatever, but i'd rather always wait for some reviews to trickle out.

even then the vast vast majority of reviews are pretty mediocre because they're just journos writing about tech. often useful to get a baseline, though.

Apple has a 14 day return window, so there isn't much risk. I waited for reviews of the m1 but I wish I preordered so it would be in my hand right now.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

admiraldennis posted:

Completely true as this was about the first MBPs, I was still glad to have bought one when I did. I needed a portable desktop replacement for entering college later that year and no other Mac was even close to those Core Duo MBPs in terms of speed and capabilities while not being a behemoth G5. It served me well for many, many years and then I loaned/gave it to someone else for many more.

My 2007 15" MBP Core 2 Duo was an amazing laptop, even moreso after I pulled out the DVD drive and put in a OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD + 500GB HDD.

Amazingly, my parents still use that laptop for email/web, although the battery has been long removed, and the Vertex II is still alive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I’m really hoping that the eventual M1X or M2 becomes available in the Mini at the same time as it hits 16” Pros and iMacs.

All I want is a powerful desktop Mac.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mediaphage posted:

sorry i don’t understand. your previous post sounds like they didn’t hold and change them?

Sorry we thought they were going to cancel and had informed him so, so he threw a loving tantrum (this is a grown rear end man worth a fair amount of scratch).

But then they shipped them anyway, sort of unrelated to his wanting the old machine, didn't really mean to tie the two posts together. But plenty of people don't care about min/maxing their computer was the point of the second anecdote. He'd rather have the "worse" one sooner.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don’t tell me about regret, I bought the 4th gen iPad

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Don’t tell me about regret, I bought the 4th gen iPad

What's wrong with the iPad 4? One of those was getting used around my house up until earlier this year, when I traded it in for $70 somehow. First iPad with a Lightning port, right?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
iPad 3 was the badpad, the 4 came only seven months later iirc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I still used my ipad 3 until like 2017 or so. It was slow, but it worked well for reading and shitposting. nowit's a picture frame.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like a huge dummy buying a $2000 intel MacBook Pro 13 back in like, June. I should've waited :qq:. Granted I needed a new laptop but the battery on this thing lasts like, 4 hours

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Empress Brosephine posted:

I feel like a huge dummy buying a $2000 intel MacBook Pro 13 back in like, June. I should've waited :qq:. Granted I needed a new laptop but the battery on this thing lasts like, 4 hours

If you're curious you can check the trade-in value at Apple.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're curious you can check the trade-in value at Apple.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

$960, no thanks Apple. I'll just wait until this dies I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

iPad 3 was the badpad, the 4 came only seven months later iirc

Oh sorry, it was the iPad 3 I bought. First Retina display but the GPU was underpowered and could barely power it. Last with the 30-pin. Introduced in March, discontinued in October.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I figure my iPad 3's value is in the long term now when some collector will pay for it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

AWS Introduced Mac minis for rent today, $1.083 an hour with 24 hour minimum rental time. So, $9487 to rent a mini for a year.

This is vastly cheaper than what we're currently paying for Macs, which is 8c a minute for 1/4 of a mini. Once there's M1s in there i bet builds go faster and we can save even more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Twerk from Home posted:

AWS Introduced Mac minis for rent today, $1.083 an hour with 24 hour minimum rental time. So, $9487 to rent a mini for a year.

This is vastly cheaper than what we're currently paying for Macs, which is 8c a minute for 1/4 of a mini. Once there's M1s in there i bet builds go faster and we can save even more.

Time to crowdsource rented mac mini's

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Hello Spaceman posted:

the only way to win is to not play at all

Buy AAPL stock and then get a dell xps so you can troll about how profitable apple fanboys are

You earn internet bonus points if you switch to linux and write a medium post about why you're quitting macos

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Last Chance posted:

Im a huge apple nerd and I don't even remember those "milestones "lol.

Yeah the switch from the C2D 2010 Air to the Sandy Bridge 2011 Air is probably a way, way bigger deal from a wider industry standpoint, and from the standpoint of Apple’s fortunes, and also from the standpoint of bringing palpable change to the average user.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Twerk from Home posted:

$9487 to rent a mini for a year.

This is vastly cheaper than what we're currently paying for Macs,

WHAT HAHAHAHA

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MrBond posted:

Buy AAPL stock and then get a dell xps so you can troll about how profitable apple fanboys are

You earn internet bonus points if you switch to linux and write a medium post about why you're quitting macos

i hope i never care about a computer this much

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-use-mac-instances-to-build-test-macos-ios-ipados-tvos-and-watchos-apps/

Amazon AWS is now offering MacOS machines. M1 chip boxes arriving 2021...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apple Silicon is kind of a Mac vs PC nightmare scenario for PC partisans right now.

Picture the most obnoxious, stupid, hyperbolic Apple fanboy. The guy who gets into Internet fights with strangers in 2009 about how his polycarb MacBook is superior to PCs for really half-baked reasons beyond “because it’s a Mac”. Everything is better, the system is better, etc blah blah blah blah blah.

Now we have Macs that actually live up to the worst hyperbole that 2006 weird teen Ok Comboomer could come up with.

Like removed from their context, excerpts from a lot of M1 reviews sound like the worst kinds of Jobsian reality distortion.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

M1 owners, how does your machine behave with the latest version of Zoom and like 8+ people in a conference?

On my old beaten 2015 rMBP with a (ha) dual core i7 running 3.1 GHz, Zoom typically takes 18-35% of my CPU and 38-50% GPU with like 10 video streams going at once; trying to play HTML video on top of that puts my fans in overdrive.

How much CPU/GPU does it take on Zoom, typically? Noted that Zoom (latest is 5.4.4 at time of post) has zippo Apple Silicon code..

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Binary Badger posted:

M1 owners, how does your machine behave with the latest version of Zoom and like 8+ people in a conference?

On my old beaten 2015 rMBP with a (ha) dual core i7 running 3.1 GHz, Zoom typically takes 18-35% of my CPU and 38-50% GPU with like 10 video streams going at once; trying to play HTML video on top of that puts my fans in overdrive.

How much CPU/GPU does it take on Zoom, typically? Noted that Zoom (latest is 5.4.4 at time of post) has zippo Apple Silicon code..

out of curiosity is that flat or with background removal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Apple pushed out the ship date of my 16gb Air :sigh: I still can't find them in stock anywhere.

Who is buying a $1000 computer with 8gb ram in 2020?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Does dolphin emulation work on the M1? Curious if I grabbed an air if I could finally play GameCube games

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone having issues with gestures for forward or back stopping working in Chrome in their M1 or Big Sur computers? It works for a while but then individual tabs stop responding to the gesture. I have to copy and paste the URL into a new tab to get it to start working again.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple Silicon is kind of a Mac vs PC nightmare scenario for PC partisans right now.

Picture the most obnoxious, stupid, hyperbolic Apple fanboy. The guy who gets into Internet fights with strangers in 2009 about how his polycarb MacBook is superior to PCs for really half-baked reasons beyond “because it’s a Mac”. Everything is better, the system is better, etc blah blah blah blah blah.

Now we have Macs that actually live up to the worst hyperbole that 2006 weird teen Ok Comboomer could come up with.

Like removed from their context, excerpts from a lot of M1 reviews sound like the worst kinds of Jobsian reality distortion.

Wonder if comp.sys.mac.advocacy is still active and whether some of the absolute Mac diehards like Joe Ragosta is still going at it on there.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone having issues with gestures for forward or back stopping working in Chrome in their M1 or Big Sur computers? It works for a while but then individual tabs stop responding to the gesture. I have to copy and paste the URL into a new tab to get it to start working again.

I haven't had this issue, but I'm mostly using Safari. Wondering if it's more of a Chrome issue than a Big Sur/compatibility issue?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Does dolphin emulation work on the M1? Curious if I grabbed an air if I could finally play GameCube games

Yes.

https://youtu.be/5bHUsFvLls8

Skip to about 6 min

It’s legit.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Apple pushed out the ship date of my 16gb Air :sigh: I still can't find them in stock anywhere.

Who is buying a $1000 computer with 8gb ram in 2020?

There's a bunch of thoughts out there that 8GB is still totally fine for many folks:
https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/opinion-is-the-base-macbook-air-m1-8gb-powerful-enough-for-you/

That said, I'm not sure I would personally buy a brand-new non-upgradable 8GB laptop in 2020 myself, even if intended for light usage.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yes.

https://youtu.be/5bHUsFvLls8

Skip to about 6 min

It’s legit.

Well poo poo. Must hold out for 14 inch. Must hold out for 14 inch...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The second generation of this chip is going to be so good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mediaphage posted:

out of curiosity is that flat or with background removal

Ah, flat, and with optimize / de-noise disabled, and hardware acceleration enabled (as much as a crappy Iris 6000 is gonna give me)

I'd imagine that when the OpenEmu guys and the guys who produce the x86 engines for it start making Apple Silicon specific code, then stuff is gonna fly...

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 1, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

The 1st gen is already so good.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Mister Facetious posted:

I mean it will certainly be better than the M1 but why shouldn't we just assume an update to the same architecture won't just be incremental improvements over the M1 given that much of the improvement over x86 chips were already captured in the architectural switch to the M1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I expect most of the improvements in gen 2 will be from Apple being willing to expand the TDP parameters of the chip and increase the number of cores.