Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DrDork posted:

The galaxy-brain amazing part is they had the balls to get on Twitter and bet random people $10 that their launch would be great.

It's genuinely impressive how stupid it is.

Nvidia had a perfect storm of underestimating demand, not having the capacity to hit that demand when they did recognize it, and being hit by more scalpers than ever before.

AMD's response was to talk mad poo poo on social media, then launch a tiny number of reference models separately from AIBs, and then not give the AIBs enough chips to even be able to provide any day 1 stock for the (already delayed, mind you!) AIB launch date to multiple major retailers like Micro Center, and also what AIB cards exist were marked up by like 2x what the RTX 30 series AIBs were over the reference models.

Like technically the cards are fine but every round the launch was just a clown car crashing into a grease fire in a Taco Bell dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Insanely good value. It'll sell out in seconds.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Where's the sub-$200 3050 that performs like a 2070?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

teagone posted:

Where's the sub-$200 3050 that performs like a 2070?

Probably getting announced in the next 2-6 months?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Getting some hope for mobile, I expect the 3050 or 3050ti will be "the" mainstream mobile sku the way 1050/ti and 1650 became.

Single slot low profile card that performs like a ... 1660 Super? :haw:

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
Didn't get my EVGA auto-notify for the FTW 3060Ti in until 10:30am EST. See you guys in March!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pyrotek posted:

I should have been up an hour earlier so I could refresh the EVGA store page until the notify button was up. An hour is probably a ridiculous wait the way demand is at this point.

I got a notification in almost immediately for the two fan one. I don’t know anyone that needs one so if I get it ahead of others I’ll sell it here for cost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

I got a notification in almost immediately for the two fan one. I don’t know anyone that needs one so if I get it ahead of others I’ll sell it here for cost.

Wait, I thought it wasn't going on sale until tomorrow?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really want a founders edition 3060, am I going to have to camp out on the discord/tracking sites or just give up and pay $150-200 above MSRP?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Wait, I thought it wasn't going on sale until tomorrow?

I signed up for their email queue program. I didn’t actually order a card yet.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

change my name posted:

I really want a founders edition 3060, am I going to have to camp out on the discord/tracking sites or just give up and pay $150-200 above MSRP?

n/m, you said FE

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

change my name posted:

If by camping out you mean setting a notification on your phone then going back to doing anything else then yeah probably.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rolo posted:

If by camping out you mean setting a notification on your phone then going back to doing anything else then yeah probably.

Anecdotally I finally got off my rear end and joined one of the stock discords and scored a 3090 a few hours after joining so if you're quick on the draw it's not impossible

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rolo posted:

Well that’s heartening; I’m working from home so I have nothing but free time

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

The other FE’s have only been sold by best buy online, so that is the place to watch at launch.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

tragic_ethos posted:

The other FE’s have only been sold by best buy online, so that is the place to watch at launch.

I see it's already listed there, will sit on the page tonight. Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Shipon posted:

Anecdotally I finally got off my rear end and joined one of the stock discords and scored a 3090 a few hours after joining so if you're quick on the draw it's not impossible

change my name posted:

Yeah if you’re in the states, just make a quick Best Buy account with your payment info saved. Discord dings, jump on and check out. I got cards for friends the last 2 drops in a row right off my phone. I didn’t even try for anything but FE cards from BB.

I mean the stock/scalper issue still sucks hard and it would be nice to just be able to buy the drat thing but you don’t have to desk camp or F5.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
FWIW in Europe it's been hard if you're not a shut in/WFH/ constantly at the pc type person

Several times I got pinged for drops and within seconds its was impossible to order
I even missed 2 official AMD drops and an FE drop on LDLC.com, a french version of bestbuy for FE distribution

Yesterday I was able to order a 3080 off a Spanish website for an actually good price (733€ MSI Ventus OC 3080), caveat being the delivery is estimated to 31/12, but as I thought the date has already been moved up to 15/12. I contacted the cs reps and they told me it was basically a pre order based on incoming stock.

I had been actively looking for a card since the 3080 launch.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rolo posted:

Yeah if you’re in the states, just make a quick Best Buy account with your payment info saved. Discord dings, jump on and check out. I got cards for friends the last 2 drops in a row right off my phone. I didn’t even try for anything but FE cards from BB.

Big thing with BestBuy's drops is remembering to NOT refresh the page once it hits "Please Wait" or "Just one last thing" or whatever it is now. You really do just have to wait--refreshing drops you to the end of the line, apparently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Idk how this stuff works, but isn't it weird to release the Ti version before the base version?

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

What discord dings you when they are available?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I like how Linus tried to review the 3060 and Nvidia sent him a broken card. Bodes well!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

Idk how this stuff works, but isn't it weird to release the Ti version before the base version?

Yes, but higher number = higher margin so there's no reason to launch something lower if you can convince someone to spend a bit more when demand is through the roof.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Kinda but it just means it's supposed to be worse than the 3070 while still leaving room for a 3060 non Ti later with even marginally worse performance for marginally cheaper again

If they ever do a refresh to shift those marks some more they can use the Super terminology

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Rinkles posted:

It's not uncommon for launch to go top of stack to bottom. As far as model names are concerned they're pretty arbitrary except for how they indicate relatively where the card sits relative to the rest of the gen.

Just think of it as the $400 price point card launching after the $500 price point card if that helps.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What are the latest passively-cooled or at least max <20 dB noise recommendations for GPUs nowadays? I'd like to do some heavy gaming on a build I have planned for next spring (i don't really do anything "light" tbh), with hopefully as many bells and whistles I can possibly turn on for War Thunder (which has DLSS now?) and Escape from Tarkov.

I'd like to push a lot of frames on 2560x1440 target ~240 fps for monitors like this one https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/dell-alienware-aw2721d-and-aw3821dw-more-specs-information-and-g-sync-discussion/, though if anyone can provide something that can do 4K@120fps+ I will be pleasantly surprised.

I've tried quite a few AIO solutions in the past several years and have not been satisfied with the produced background noise and such with regards to audio stuff. ok the real reasons are i want to be able to sleep where i game and maybe also be able to hear quiet noises in EFT without a headset

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 1, 2020

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Rolo posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any information about the difference between the two fan and three fan evga models? I noticed the two fan 3060ti only has a single 8 pin and the three fan has two.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Nomyth posted:

What are the latest passively-cooled or at least max <20 dB noise recommendations for GPUs nowadays? I'd like to do some heavy gaming on a build I have planned for next spring (i don't really do anything "light" tbh), with hopefully as many bells and whistles I can possibly turn on for War Thunder (which has DLSS now?) and Escape from Tarkov.

I'd like to push a lot of frames on 2560x1440 target ~240 fps for monitors like this one https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_odyssey_g7_c32g75t.htm, though if anyone can provide something that can do 4K@120fps+ I will be pleasantly surprised.

I've tried quite a few AIO solutions in the past several years and have not been satisfied with the produced background noise and such with regards to audio stuff. ok the real reasons are i want to be able to sleep where i game and maybe also be able to hear quiet noises in EFT without a headset

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding your ask this does not seem reasonable - even a 3090 is gonna struggle some to hold 1440p240 or 4k120 and that's pulling 350w. Passively cooling that would take a massive heatsink.

Closest you're probably gonna get is spending $$$ on custom water cooling with very large radiators and very slow fans maybe?

You can make them quiet even on air but sub 20db? That's... Rough.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

VorpalFish posted:

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding your ask this does not seem reasonable - even a 3090 is gonna struggle some to hold 1440p240 or 4k120 and that's pulling 350w. Passively cooling that would take a massive heatsink.

Closest you're probably gonna get is spending $$$ on custom water cooling with very large radiators and very slow fans maybe?

You can make them quiet even on air but sub 20db? That's... Rough.

Yup, I'm aware I made a very tall order. Would you suggest a separate loop for the GPU and not mess it up with heat produced from a CPU, or put the whole system under a single loop in this application?

I should probably take it into the water cooling thread if needed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ardlen posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any information about the difference between the two fan and three fan evga models? I noticed the two fan 3060ti only has a single 8 pin and the three fan has two.

An 8 pin PCIE connector is nominally 150W. 75W can come from the PCIE slot itself so thats 225W total with only one connector. EVGA specs the cards at 200W nominal max draw. The 3070 which has the same chip is rated at 225W. Presumably the 3060TI can safely run an OC to that 225W at a minimum because its the same chip so you'd need two connectors.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Nomyth posted:

Yup, I'm aware I made a very tall order. Would you suggest a separate loop for the GPU and not mess it up with heat produced from a CPU, or put the whole system under a single loop in this application?

Unless you're looking to do it for aesthetic or space reasons, you're not likely to really gain much from throwing a CPU block on there vs a good air cooler, especially if you're already concerned about keeping temps down for the GPU.

But, yeah, there's simply no way you're going to dissipate 300W+ passively, but you could do so with a 240mm rad at low fan RPMs without too much issue. The trick then is getting a low-noise pump, which seems to be a lot of rolling the dice and playing around with orientation.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Nomyth posted:

With enough radiator surface area I don't see why you couldn't have the CPU in the loop too. The heat load of the CPU would be comparatively small.

Water cooling thread is a good place to start. You'll also want to run the pump slow. I don't know if 20dba is even possible.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Given that regular rear end gaming isn't anything too crazy why not go with one of the fairly solved case/cooler quiet solutions for the CPU and then concentrate on the GPU separately so it's a little easier to get a handle on the noise level?

I always bring up arma 3 because it makes you 100% CPU bound at whatever level you play it on, not that it didn't get loud but I played it just fine on a wraith stealth cooler for years. just cool the drat thing as quietly as possible with existing solutions instead of re-inventing the wheel - especially given how both AMD chips & nvidia cards can be undervolted.

edit: my 5600x / 2080ti setup is so silent the heater being on in the bathroom is significantly louder and more annoying than playing a game

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 1, 2020

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for the above suggestions. I'll look into quiet pump and fan control solutions with larger rad space.

bus hustler posted:

Given that regular rear end gaming isn't anything too crazy why not go with one of the fairly solved case/cooler quiet solutions for the CPU and then concentrate on the GPU separately so it's a little easier to get a handle on the noise level?
Would you be able to elaborate on the CPU solutions? Are they in a list in a separate thread or something?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Nomyth posted:

Thanks for the above suggestions. I'll look into quiet pump and fan control solutions with larger rad space.

Would you be able to elaborate on the CPU solutions? Are they in a list in a separate thread or something?

I'm pretty sure the best solution is going to be a Noctua NH-D15 which sorry if it came off rude (i shitpost at work) I just meant the CPU thing was basically a solved issue so you can really work on the GPU

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6313/noctua-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review/index.html#Test-System-Setup-Thermal-Tests-and-Noise-Results

You can also get into more advanced stuff like buying a Noctua and then using even quieter fans: https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/silent-wings-3/784

Unless the game you play is massively helped by more threads or you make money from computing on the PC the 5600x will also help here by being the gaming champ @ 65W

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 1, 2020

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
CPU-wise I'd be coming from a 9900K so the 5600X might...not quite apply, but more cache per core and a huge power consumption decrease might be considered to be an upgrade? Plus I could sell the 9900K

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Nomyth posted:

I'd like to push a lot of frames on 2560x1440 target ~240 fps for monitors like this one https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/dell-alienware-aw2721d-and-aw3821dw-more-specs-information-and-g-sync-discussion/, though if anyone can provide something that can do 4K@120fps+ I will be pleasantly surprised.

What you are asking for is impossible with current technology at any noise level. Best solution is probably something like a 5600x to keep power consumption as low as possible with a NH-D15 for cooling like bus hustler suggests, combined with something like an undervolted MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio or ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC. That might get you to around 30dB.

It will be difficult to get liquid cooling too much quieter than that. The pumps make noise, after all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nomyth posted:

I know next to nothing about it, but: https://www.monsterlabo.com/page-d-articles/the-beast-batch-2

It's a passively cooled case supposedly capable of dissipating 600W

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 1, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Nomyth posted:

Getting a 3090 with the beefiest cooler, deshrouding and strapping 120mm fans to it and then aggressively undervolting and underclocking is the only way I can imagine getting even close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
The NIOSH noise meter gets like 36 next to my computer running apex legends and I really didnt do anything super crazy to make it quiet?? I dont think 20dB is realistic because of how that scale works but you can get a quiet setup if the honest to goodness reason is to be able to sleep - unless you are mining you won't be gaming while you sleep.

If you are recording audio it seems fairly easy to simply record a bit away from the device itself if it produces minimal noise.