Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Cold on a Cob posted:

Idk about that but as usual I've heard a lot of canadians comparing themselves to america smugly. "Sure it's bad, but could be worse like the USA eh?"

Isn't it true in this case, though? It could be way, way worse, and people are aware of that.

We're proportionally doing much better than the United States and most of Western Europe, last I checked, which are our closest cultural/political analogue states.

We're doing terribly compared to Japan and South Korea and New Zealand and poo poo, but it's a lot easier to keep quarantine on islands or isolated peninsulas (and that's without taking into account the pernicious cultural influence of but mah freedums-style right wing demagogues that we can thank the yankees for)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

drat horror queefs posted:

Isn't it true in this case, though? It could be way, way worse, and people are aware of that.

We're proportionally doing much better than the United States and most of Western Europe, last I checked, which are our closest cultural/political analogue states.

We're doing terribly compared to Japan and South Korea and New Zealand and poo poo, but it's a lot easier to keep quarantine on islands or isolated peninsulas (and that's without taking into account the pernicious cultural influence of but mah freedums-style right wing demagogues that we can thank the yankees for)

I give it until two weeks after xmas, Alberta's numbers will be on par with the worst in the world.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The alberta rat barrier but it is for keeping covid cases in

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

What the hell is going on in fraser south (bc) that made the situation wrt COVID there so dire?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

What the hell is going on in fraser south (bc) that made the situation wrt COVID there so dire?

It's a huge area, also the BC bible belt is in there, also lots of multigenerational households, really several reasons.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Surrey.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Another Bill posted:

Ontario is a lot like Ohio or Michigan: populated modern cities with vast swaths of redneck in between.

yes because toronto citizens are shining examples of progressiveness

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's all relative

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Ontario is a lot like the United States: The north is pretty cool and progressive while the south is hick country that keeps electing conservatives.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lassitude posted:

Ontario is a lot like the United States: The north is pretty cool and progressive while the south is hick country that keeps electing conservatives.

Edmonton is the lone beacon of light and hope in the darkness.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lot of classist language lately, disappointing.

does anyone have any data on how bad first nations have or have not been hosed over by covid? i know some around here are closing ranks.

unsurprisingly this is not something i see getting coverage in either direction in mainstream canadian press

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

mediaphage posted:

I come from poor white people and I'll use whatever language I want tyvm

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

mediaphage posted:

does anyone have any data on how bad first nations have or have not been hosed over by covid? i know some around here are closing ranks.

unsurprisingly this is not something i see getting coverage in either direction in mainstream canadian press

I'm not sure good data exist at this point. I attended an equity in data symposium earlier this year and they were talking about how some indigenous communities were starting their own network to count covid cases and deaths because the official count was a significant undercount. The federal data are available here: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1598625105013/1598625167707

In BC, they keep saying we don't have the tech capability to capture race and ethnicity data as it pertains to covid because it's not part of the covid intake form (which is bs--maybe that was an excuse in March, it's not now, and it should never have been an acceptable excuse). I believe they do track whether or not someone is indigenous or a case is in an indigenous community but other than the federal data posted above, I don't believe that information is public.

Lassitude posted:

I feel like this really depends on how you define North and South.

Goosed it. has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Dec 1, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Like priz and Juul said, most of Fraser South's cases are in Surrey, which is the second highest population city in BC by a longshot (almost as many people as the City of Vancouver and twice as many as the next city on the list) as well as the one that happens to have the most unchecked social interaction. There are a lot of McMansions on ALR land with three or four generations of people living in them and when you have that many people interacting with different people in a city, many of whom are in similar living situations, then all coalescing back into their homes, rinse and repeat day in and day out, the pandemic thrives.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Edmonton is the lone beacon of light and hope in the darkness.

I'll take "Words nobody ever thought would be seen or heard" for $400, Alex.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

a primate posted:

This Is probably a profoundly stupid question, but what exactly is or has been the government stance on immigration? We’ve been slowly increasing numbers for a couple decades now (~300,000 in 2016), so it’s clear several governments are pro-, but what is the reason?

We are certainly not doing this to be nice. Is this to prop up the housing industry? To create demand for goods in order to stimulate the economy? Who is employing all of these people when we are looking towards policies like UBI to offset the loss of jobs that comes with automation? Does it even matter?

Is there even a rationale besides more people = more good?

The media only discusses this issue in terms of racist attitudes regarding foreigners, and even the Harper government only feigned to try to increase the proportion of European immigrants. They still never limited it iirc, despite cries from their base. So, why?

As someone trying to sponsor my wife, I don't get the impression that Canada is particularly pro-immigration at all.

As mentioned, the temporary worker program is mostly exploitation. As for skilled entry, the requirements are high, and measured on a curve such that a fixed number of applicants are accepted each year. Family sponsorship is very prohibitive. Even in normal times, processing takes more than one year. That's at least 12 months a family would need to be separated (for outland applications), or in my case (inland application), 12 months of living in a foreign country with hardly any personal freedoms. Like, my wife can't even get a driver's license because she doesn't have proof of status. She doesn't have proof of status because we're applying for status. But she also can't drive on her IDL because she's a long-term resident. She can't work until her work permit is approved, which is probably going to take 7-8 months by current estimates. Thank goodness we could at least get her on healthcare in BC, some provinces don't even have that.

I did have to pay for an ER visit out of pocket during the 2 month waiting period though. $500 for her to wait in a waiting room alone without her cell phone for two hours, after which a nurse told her she was fine and dismissed her. We had to pay $160 to a doctor she never met.

Oh right. My wife is on "implied status". Because we're applying for status (in our case, as a worker -- no, the PR application doesn't count as applying for status, that's why you must submit a OWP), her current status doesn't expire until a decision is made on her application. But if we made a mistake on the 100+-page application form, such as forgetting a signature, the application will be returned incomplete and she'll have retroactively overstayed. That would make her ineligible to apply for status. So we'd have to submit an application to forgive the overstay, and wait for that to be approved before we would be allowed to apply for a work permit again.

Meanwhile, when we move back to Korea, my temporary visa application will take one or two weeks. I would apply for a long-term visa after landing and within one week have all the privilege of a permanent resident. It doesn't have to be this hard.

fisting by many has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Dec 1, 2020

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Ontario is a lot like Ohio or Michigan: populated modern cities with vast swaths of redneck in between.

feels like most people that live in the GTA are also rednecks

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Like priz and Juul said, most of Fraser South's cases are in Surrey, which is the second highest population city in BC by a longshot (almost as many people as the City of Vancouver and twice as many as the next city on the list) as well as the one that happens to have the most unchecked social interaction. There are a lot of McMansions on ALR land with three or four generations of people living in them and when you have that many people interacting with different people in a city, many of whom are in similar living situations, then all coalescing back into their homes, rinse and repeat day in and day out, the pandemic thrives.

Huh. Okay- that seems pretty straightforward. Have only been here a year and change and haven't made my way out there yet, so I have literally zero knowledge about Surrey other than "it exists, people are there"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I feel like I shouldn't have to explain to the Alberta government that homelessness is bad for your health, and do that every three months. And yet most of my notes for additional shelter allowance are still getting denied.

I am doing the best I can for my patient population and it isn't good enough.

Edit: literally wrote a note just now containing the line "I feel like I shouldn't have to explain to any sentient individual that homelessness is bad for one's mental and physical health, but here we are."

Albino Squirrel has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Dec 1, 2020

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Goosed it. posted:

In BC, they keep saying we don't have the tech capability to capture race and ethnicity data as it pertains to covid because it's not part of the covid intake form (which is bs--maybe that was an excuse in March, it's not now, and it should never have been an acceptable excuse). I believe they do track whether or not someone is indigenous or a case is in an indigenous community but other than the federal data posted above, I don't believe that information is public.

They don't have the capabilities in place to do it, but they probably aren't trying to move to get those capabilities either. This is actually a weirdly responsible thing for the government to be doing, because it makes them seem less competent, but it is probably public health officials actively making good decisions.

I know a few people who work in public health, and collecting racial data is generally pretty problematic from an ethical standpoint. If you're going to do it, you have to collect a whole bunch of other data too so that you can properly control for variables and you still have to be careful with how you release the raw data because there's a lot of history of using public health data on ethnic groups to vilify or to blame. Interpreting it is very very hard, even then.

In theory, it's great to collect racial data and use it to potentially target measures towards groups that may need it. From a pragmatic standpoint it may not matter that the racial data is a proxy for other stuff. If you're trying to target prevention measures you may not care if it's a proxy for wealth, living situation, or whatever else. You need to be careful that you don't use is to define cause, but you could use it to target relief measures. In practice though, you end up with newspapers, politicians and public blaming travelling jewish communities for the black death. It's also hard for even the public health people to remember that the data is potentially just a proxy.

There are huge problems with vulnerable people not trusting the medical system. It's not because they're paranoid. It's because the medical system hasn''t done a good job at being trustworthy. Actively avoiding turning this into an ethnicity issue is a good thing that they're doing right now, and it's letting them keep community groups that can actually help onboard with public health measures. Keeping everyone on the same team and not an us vs them mindset is a big deal.

We are in such a bullshit racist society that collecting data on vulnerable communities can victimize the vulnerable communities. If it would really drive policy, there could be an argument to collect it. Realistically, public health measures for a respiratory disease are going to be the same regardless. They're struggling to reach out to some cultural communities and language groups, but it's not because the public health people don't know these are at risk groups. It's because the public health groups do not have the right personnel or existing relationships to work with those groups. Knowing racial breakdowns of cases vs the fact that it's in certain geographic areas doesn't really help that much.

This is not saying you shouldn't collect racial data for any public health measures, but it's likely not pragmatically useful enough or controlled enough to be useful as part of the major data being collected in this situation.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
It’s wild looking at cases out west and dining, etc. are still open. NS just shut it down over 30-50 cases.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

AntiDepressor posted:

It’s wild looking at cases out west and dining, etc. are still open. NS just shut it down over 30-50 cases.

but but but ~the economy~

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they don't want to collect racial data because it will show native people are suffering from covid more than white people proportionally. because of course it will. its not to preserve a sense of privacy lol

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

T.C. posted:

They don't have the capabilities in place to do it, but they probably aren't trying to move to get those capabilities either. This is actually a weirdly responsible thing for the government to be doing, because it makes them seem less competent, but it is probably public health officials actively making good decisions.

I know a few people who work in public health, and collecting racial data is generally pretty problematic from an ethical standpoint. If you're going to do it, you have to collect a whole bunch of other data too so that you can properly control for variables and you still have to be careful with how you release the raw data because there's a lot of history of using public health data on ethnic groups to vilify or to blame. Interpreting it is very very hard, even then.

In theory, it's great to collect racial data and use it to potentially target measures towards groups that may need it. From a pragmatic standpoint it may not matter that the racial data is a proxy for other stuff. If you're trying to target prevention measures you may not care if it's a proxy for wealth, living situation, or whatever else. You need to be careful that you don't use is to define cause, but you could use it to target relief measures. In practice though, you end up with newspapers, politicians and public blaming travelling jewish communities for the black death. It's also hard for even the public health people to remember that the data is potentially just a proxy.

There are huge problems with vulnerable people not trusting the medical system. It's not because they're paranoid. It's because the medical system hasn''t done a good job at being trustworthy. Actively avoiding turning this into an ethnicity issue is a good thing that they're doing right now, and it's letting them keep community groups that can actually help onboard with public health measures. Keeping everyone on the same team and not an us vs them mindset is a big deal.

We are in such a bullshit racist society that collecting data on vulnerable communities can victimize the vulnerable communities. If it would really drive policy, there could be an argument to collect it. Realistically, public health measures for a respiratory disease are going to be the same regardless. They're struggling to reach out to some cultural communities and language groups, but it's not because the public health people don't know these are at risk groups. It's because the public health groups do not have the right personnel or existing relationships to work with those groups. Knowing racial breakdowns of cases vs the fact that it's in certain geographic areas doesn't really help that much.

This is not saying you shouldn't collect racial data for any public health measures, but it's likely not pragmatically useful enough or controlled enough to be useful as part of the major data being collected in this situation.

I understand that collecting racial data is complicated and that it would need to be safe-guarded. I do not think that is an acceptable reason not to collect this data. Toronto Public Health collects this data and it has pointed to huge differences in COVID infection rates along racial and economic lines. If we don't collect the data we can't know what is there and what is happening. We can assume, but we can't know and we can't act. We can't address problems if we don't even collect the data to show that the problems are there.

As I said, I know that the issue is complex and that the data can be used to harm rather than help. But, racialized communities are asking for this information. Other jurisdictions do it, and BC can too.

Edit: yes we can create proxies. We can create propensity scores from other variables and identify who is most likely to be x, y or z race or ethnicity, but that is not the same. And it is really not the same when you think about it from a health communication standpoint. If you want people to trust the information you are sharing, it's much better to share clear information than to say "we didn't actually ask people their race or ethnicity, instead we predicted it using 30 different variables and we can say that 80% of the people we've classified as non-white are likely to be non-white."

Edited again: Also, the government does collect data on whether or not a person is indigenous or a covid case is in an indigenous community. This seems to negate harm as the driving concern as this data is collected for the group of people most at risk of being harmed and most historically harmed. And, provinces do collect this data but seem to do it badly! As case counts (at least earlier on) were significantly lower than the case counts collected by indigenous groups. Collecting the data badly is arguably worse than not collecting it at all but people are happy to do that.

Goosed it. has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Dec 1, 2020

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Pretty frustrating that most sources blaming the BC South Asian communities for Covid Spread ignore entirely how many work service/gig jobs that put them in daily close contact with scores of random people.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

It's not South Asians you hate, it's capitalism

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/RachelNotley/status/1333789034410250241?s=20

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Alberta's pretty lucky to have Notley around. First effective opposition party in the province in nearly 50 years, if not longer.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

ARACHTION posted:

Pretty frustrating that most sources blaming the BC South Asian communities for Covid Spread ignore entirely how many work service/gig jobs that put them in daily close contact with scores of random people.

See the crazy number of Truckers who are Punjabi, without whom the entire distribution network would collapse. I also love that South Asians are getting blamed for living in big extended families instead of letting Grandma and Grandpa wallow in their own feces in a LTC like a good Christian family.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
On average, Surrey is far more "working class" than Vancouver and Richmond and therefore fewer residents have the option to work from home. That doesn't mean lower income specifically, but way more people work industrial jobs, etc.

Add to that a whole lot more multigenerational homes and bigger homes in general rather than a hundred thousands of one/two bedroom condos and apartments and higher cases is what you get.

Surrey-bashing is basically 100% classism albeit with a sprinkling of racism from some, but Surrey was bashed way before the racial shift happened.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah I want to be clear when I blame Surrey for all our problems, I am doing it for purely classist reasons

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

its cool that trudeau said something about the protests in india tbh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Professional life advice: do not get involved in a federal bill just don’t do it you thought 2020 was bad I’ve been doing actual politics during it all

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Anyone remember the townhall where some woman was telling George W Bush that she was in dire financial straights, that she was working 3 jobs to make ends meet? He just cut her off and started talking about how outstandingly American that was, marveling at her having three jobs and spinning it as a positive "only in America." I was young when I watched that, but it stuck with me. Eventually I became that woman, we all did. I could not believe it happened to me, but it did, and I always think back to that woman.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

fisting by many posted:

As someone trying to sponsor my wife, I don't get the impression that Canada is particularly pro-immigration at all.

As mentioned, the temporary worker program is mostly exploitation. As for skilled entry, the requirements are high, and measured on a curve such that a fixed number of applicants are accepted each year. Family sponsorship is very prohibitive. Even in normal times, processing takes more than one year. That's at least 12 months a family would need to be separated (for outland applications), or in my case (inland application), 12 months of living in a foreign country with hardly any personal freedoms. Like, my wife can't even get a driver's license because she doesn't have proof of status. She doesn't have proof of status because we're applying for status. But she also can't drive on her IDL because she's a long-term resident. She can't work until her work permit is approved, which is probably going to take 7-8 months by current estimates. Thank goodness we could at least get her on healthcare in BC, some provinces don't even have that.

I did have to pay for an ER visit out of pocket during the 2 month waiting period though. $500 for her to wait in a waiting room alone without her cell phone for two hours, after which a nurse told her she was fine and dismissed her. We had to pay $160 to a doctor she never met.

Oh right. My wife is on "implied status". Because we're applying for status (in our case, as a worker -- no, the PR application doesn't count as applying for status, that's why you must submit a OWP), her current status doesn't expire until a decision is made on her application. But if we made a mistake on the 100+-page application form, such as forgetting a signature, the application will be returned incomplete and she'll have retroactively overstayed. That would make her ineligible to apply for status. So we'd have to submit an application to forgive the overstay, and wait for that to be approved before we would be allowed to apply for a work permit again.

Meanwhile, when we move back to Korea, my temporary visa application will take one or two weeks. I would apply for a long-term visa after landing and within one week have all the privilege of a permanent resident. It doesn't have to be this hard.

Canada is pro skilled immigrant express entry visa. People seem to get that in half the time.

I just went thru the same process including the implied status problem. I have a few things i can add which might help you:
- We were able to get OHIP (ontario healthcare) by writing to the OHIP review board and then proving to them we had applied for the (spousal) OWP. we got that proof from IRCC using the online response form and forwarded the email to OHIP.
- If you had a work permit and you applied for a new work permit before the old one expired you are implied to have status. you can continue to work until a decision is made. you dont have to quit your job on the expiration date. If you went from study to work permit then i am not sure that is true.

I suspect that you can contact the drivers licensing authority by mail and get them to accept that someone who has implied status is allowed to apply for a drivers license (you'll need this because the people at the local office wont be able to do anything without a letter from head office).

If you keep your medical receipts you should be able to claim it after she finally gets PR.

I recommend going to https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ and checking out a thread which is relevant to when you applied. some people keep spreadsheets in there and you can gauge how far along you should be relative to others. Currently IRCC is prioritizing inland spousal sponsorships so there may be hope. We expected the PR card to take 4 months to arrive after the Confirmation Of Permanent Residency letter finally arrived according to those boards but it only took 2 weeks.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

ToxicAcne posted:

See the crazy number of Truckers who are Punjabi, without whom the entire distribution network would collapse. I also love that South Asians are getting blamed for living in big extended families instead of letting Grandma and Grandpa wallow in their own feces in a LTC like a good Christian family.

Not really sure that identifying a living situation that is having some health challenges at this particular point in history is quite blaming them for it. When the people living alone emerge with some higher incidence of mental health issues, I don’t think people will be blaming them for living alone when a pandemic happened.

Perhaps I am not hearing the judgement being made by whatever media you watch though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sometimes I really like Jagmeet.

Sometimes I worry that he's just another piece of poo poo centrist and we're all overlooking it because he's a snappy dressing POC that rides around on a bicycle.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

EvilJoven posted:

Sometimes I really like Jagmeet.

Sometimes I worry that he's just another piece of poo poo centrist and we're all overlooking it because he's a snappy dressing POC that rides around on a bicycle.

I think Jagmeet is a pretty consistent advocate of social democracy, so it depends on what you consider the "center".

If you want an actual socialist, yeah I don't think he's that. But if you like Sanders and AOC on policy, there's zero reason to not be in favour of Singh, he's 100% in line with them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah I'm prob gonna vote for him, but there's no harm in asking him to be even better ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/racial-slurs-banned-by-ottawa-school-board-even-during-quoting-or-reading-text-aloud-1.5213488

quote:

OTTAWA -- Ottawa's largest school board is banning the use of racial slurs and other offensive epithets, even during lessons or when quoting or reading text aloud.

In a statement, the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board said, "The uttering or writing or use of racial or other slurs or epithets by staff […] is not permitted and cannot ever serve educational purposes."

The statement said this includes any words that are used in the pejorative to describe Indigenous peoples, racial, ethnic, religious, sex, gender, sexual orientation, and/or disability attributes.

The comments are exactly what you would expect.