Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Is the Valve Index's power connector compatible with the older Vive's power connectors? We currently have a Vive Pro and we need to buy a cable adapter to connect the power between the Vive Pro and an HP VR backpack computer. It would be nice if that adapter would also work if we upgrade to an Index in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If anyone's thinking of upgrading to the 3xxx series of NVidia GPUs for VR purposes (if you can even find a card right now), maybe hold off - there are lots of issues with SteamVR and the new cards at the moment, with weird hitches and stutters every 10 min or so. Nvidia support have said they're still identifying the issue so fixes are unlikely to make it into December's driver update.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

The Grumbles posted:

If anyone's thinking of upgrading to the 3xxx series of NVidia GPUs for VR purposes (if you can even find a card right now), maybe hold off - there are lots of issues with SteamVR and the new cards at the moment, with weird hitches and stutters every 10 min or so. Nvidia support have said they're still identifying the issue so fixes are unlikely to make it into December's driver update.

You just want fewer people in the purchase queue. I am onto you!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i've never had any trouble with VR specs on my 970 and now my 1660ti

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I've had a lot of hitching under this current driver, speculation at Guru3D is Nvidia's trying to get a bit more out of PCI-E 4 platforms and hosed up something but that's some dudes on a different forum so idk if there's any truth to that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Twibbit posted:

You just want fewer people in the purchase queue. I am onto you!

I already have my 3070FE, which is how I, uh, became aware of the situation. Which is annoying! Better VR was one of the main reasons I went in for the upgrade.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
How much do I need to worry about smacking my controllers into walls/desks/etc? Have people ever broken their controllers from that?

I've done it a few times now in Beat Saber and given the Reverb G2 appears to not have any spare replacement parts I'm a bit worried. Controllers still seem to work find though, the plastic seems sturdy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

axeil posted:

How much do I need to worry about smacking my controllers into walls/desks/etc? Have people ever broken their controllers from that?

I've done it a few times now in Beat Saber and given the Reverb G2 appears to not have any spare replacement parts I'm a bit worried. Controllers still seem to work find though, the plastic seems sturdy.

You can, but you gotta really put some heft into your swing to break'em. By-and-large VR controllers are designed to endure an idiot flailing blindly around a room and sometimes smacking their hand on a table or wall, so don't be too afraid of minor accidents. What you can do is keep an eye out for if/when one of the third-party accessory manufacturers make silicon sleeves for the G2 controllers, because they'll help prevent the inevitable occasional scratch occurring and buffer impacts in general.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

axeil posted:

Oh yes. I mean, people heave broken fingers too...

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think you’d sooner dent your wall than break an index knuckle

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Sell the 980s and buy... whatever you can actually get. Maybe the 3070? The new cards are almost impossible to get but if you really want you'll snipe one eventually.

I'm using a 1070 which is roughly like the 980Ti? So not that much better, and it runs everything. At most I need to drop the settings a bit in like Alyx or Stormlands but it's all playable. Well except Stormland but it just sucks for other reasons.

Y'all are amazing, thanks for the great advice! Will keep an eye out and snag a good price on the one's you and other posters noted.

One more question before I take the plunge; what's the easiest way to sell off the old 980s? Is NewEgg going to be the best option here?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

axeil posted:

My Rift S controller got a crack after punching a wall, though it still worked. Had to restart everything and was a worrying moment, so I guess some worry about your playspace is right.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

axeil posted:

I've smacked my controller pretty hard doing a pistol whip motion against my night stand. Controller still works but I knocked something loose, I can feel it whenever I swing the controller around.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I currently have a black and blue fingernail from hitting my desk trying to cave in a skull in Blade and Sorcery. Turns out using a weapon with a slightly shorter handle than my normal weapon of choice was a bad idea.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh yes. I mean, people heave broken fingers too...

im sitting here right now with a splint on my index finger from punching a quartz countertop during Until You Fall

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So playing Lone Echo with Revive on WMR, how do I use the EVA boost? It looks like it's supposed to be a stick press, but that always pops up the steam overlay. I checked the bindings but there seems to be no way to disable this.

axeil posted:

People definitely do break the little piece that holds the LED ring on WMR controllers, but I've smacked mine a couple of times and there's not even a hint of damage. Still, try to set your boundary to minimize the possibility of hitting anything. Even if you don't break your controller, you could still punch your monitor or something else valuable.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Y'all are amazing, thanks for the great advice! Will keep an eye out and snag a good price on the one's you and other posters noted.

One more question before I take the plunge; what's the easiest way to sell off the old 980s? Is NewEgg going to be the best option here?
Ebay or craigslist? No idea if there's something better where you are. Also the 3060 Ti is out, supposed to be $100 cheaper for only 8-10% lower performance vs 3070 but who knows when we'll be able to actually get one.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Erwin posted:

I currently have a black and blue fingernail from hitting my desk trying to cave in a skull in Blade and Sorcery. Turns out using a weapon with a slightly shorter handle than my normal weapon of choice was a bad idea.

What's up blade and sorcery injury homie. I smoked my shin on an ottoman that I thought I had moved out of the play area trying to simultaneously spin and kneel out of the way of attack.

Blade and Sorcery is a good warm up for thrill of the fight or pistol whip.

Have you tried the 8.4 beta? The difference in performance is remarkable.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Project Wingman released today.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/895870/Project_Wingman/

Getting some extreme Ace Combat vibes from that game

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I smashed my hand into my desk playing Gorn. Hit my phone and broke the rear glass on it. Pretty certain VR is partially fueled by sacrifice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Phuzun posted:

I smashed my hand into my desk playing Gorn. Hit my phone and broke the rear glass on it. Pretty certain VR is partially fueled by sacrifice.

The official Youtube commercial for Gorn shows the player trashing her house as a warning, yet we still manage to do it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdDLoWQK8dI

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
We have a Quest 1 and are thinking about buying a Quest 2. What's the situation with accounts and multiplayer there? Like, will I need to re-buy games to play them by myself or for us to do multiplayer on the two headsets together?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Penpal posted:

What's up blade and sorcery injury homie. I smoked my shin on an ottoman that I thought I had moved out of the play area trying to simultaneously spin and kneel out of the way of attack.

Blade and Sorcery is a good warm up for thrill of the fight or pistol whip.

Have you tried the 8.4 beta? The difference in performance is remarkable.

I haven’t but I get good performance on 8.3. Is it worth any bugs that come with it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cicero posted:

We have a Quest 1 and are thinking about buying a Quest 2. What's the situation with accounts and multiplayer there? Like, will I need to re-buy games to play them by myself or for us to do multiplayer on the two headsets together?

I think account switching and family sharing is coming soon. Maybe next update or in the next. But right now, it's a no go.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I recently bought an Oculus Quest 2 for my mom and I to play around with.

My mom is not overly tech-savvy or a gamer at all but she is slowly getting the hang of it.

So far, we've enjoyed playing Beat Saber and SuperHot VR (though that is slightly difficult for my mom as she is impatient and does not remember how the guns work). We also enjoyed the demo for Space Pirate Trainer, the small animal app Bogo, and a couple of the default apps.

My mom is new to gaming and VR but open to pretty much anything. She also mentioned she'd like to play/see/experience something in the Horror genre.

What can you recommend?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kalenden posted:

My mom is not overly tech-savvy or a gamer at all but she is slowly getting the hang of it.

So far, we've enjoyed playing Beat Saber and SuperHot VR (though that is slightly difficult for my mom as she is impatient and does not remember how the guns work). We also enjoyed the demo for Space Pirate Trainer, the small animal app Bogo, and a couple of the default apps.

My mom is new to gaming and VR but open to pretty much anything. She also mentioned she'd like to play/see/experience something in the Horror genre.

What can you recommend?

Five Nights at Freddy's. It's the classic "simple, accessible horror game" and it's spooky as gently caress in VR.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Erwin posted:

I haven’t but I get good performance on 8.3. Is it worth any bugs that come with it?

What are your specs? Without any super sampling in Steam VR I wouldn't get 90 fps consistently with a Ryzen 3600 + 2080 Super. That is with/without mods, they never really had a big performance impact anyway. I was playing the game without reprojection turned on because I found it distracting.

With 8.4, it feels much, much smoother. There is very little mod support so if you have some mods you can't play without, stick on 8.3.

I really got into blade and sorcery with the Outer Rim star wars mod, but after about a month I haven't felt the need to install it again, even after they updated the mod for 8.3. I much prefer playing with all of the weapons modders have crammed into the game.

Also, if you're using a polearm or staff, you can push yourself off of surfaces with the end of your stick to send yourself into the air. Sturdy enemies will also let you pole-vault over them, so give it a shot. Jumping up to a guy with a gravity imbued mage staff, drilling the end of the staff into his face and then driving your arms downward will propel you into the air, where you can then do whatever flourish you want before you crash down, slamming the tip of the staff into the ground for a gravity blast is satisfying.

There is also a "bluntier" weapons mod, which means the handles and other blunt part of weapons are stronger - usually you can't sweep the legs of someone with the staff or pike, but you can with this mod. Feels good to trip someone and then using the gravity spell, fire them off of the catwalk before they even land on their back.

blade and sorcery is very fun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

canyoneer posted:

Project Wingman released today.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/895870/Project_Wingman/

Getting some extreme Ace Combat vibes from that game

Yeah I'm very very into the vibes of this game. I'm probably not gonna pick it up right now because I've got too much on my plate already but its on my wishlist.

Kalenden posted:

What can you recommend?

RE7 both the free demo and the full game are amazing VR horror experiences, although PSVR only. The demo in particular is great for showing people because you just sit in a chair and get spooked at for 5 minutes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 1, 2020

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Thanks for the PCVR info, homies

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I got my Reverb G2 in.

I am really enjoying it. Playing Star Wars Squadrons is such a massive playability upgrade from my Quest 1.

I am not having massive tracking issues. It does not feel as immediately natural as it did with the Quest, but I swapped out the included batteries for some high voltage ones and have been playing beat saber and Alyx very easily.

If Quest 1 tracking was 9/10 i'd give reverb g2 8/10 as of today.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Between the bugs (Adam got stuck on equipment at least once, fell through an elevator, spawning already in view of supervisors), garbage autosave (having to restart the motherboard puzzle/fight/thing from the beginning multiple times, the aforementioned spawn in view of supervisors) and the massive, massive ramp up of frustration and difficulty compared to the first game I'm giving both a "do not recommend" and "gently caress you" to Budget Cuts 2.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kalenden posted:

What can you recommend?

If you have a PC to run it, Phasmophobia scares the gently caress outta me, a grown rear end man. A couple times I had to take the headset off and take a break cause I was freaked out.

Most of the missions can be done solo. Some of the larger maps like the school might be difficult solo, but I haven't tried it yet.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Good lord, Project Wingman doesn't play well with VR or my joysticks. In VR, the framerates is atrocious (Index, 8700K @ 4.9, RTX 3080, and with everything on Medium I had reprojection 100% of the time), and "centering" the view kept flipping the view just off to either side, and in one case had me looking a full 90 degrees to the right. I couldn't get the view to actually center.

Plus, the game is acting like my stick and pedals have 1/3 of their range of travel (the input is maxed out well before the stick reaches the end of its physical axis), and the input randomly "jumps" around, so moving the stick doesn't result in a smooth input, but one that is ridiculously jittery. Like, imagine if you were playing, and another person started randomly pressing arrow keys that the game registered alongside your joystick, and that's what it feels like, even after I made sure to unmap all the default gamepad inputs.

Might be a fun game on a monitor and with an Xbox pad (reviews are positive overall), but the VR support is horrible, and so far the joystick support is, too. drat, I was really excited about this game :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Project Wingman plays best with a controller, honestly. It's very arcade-y, not that that's a bad thing, especially as an Ace Combat tribute. Also lets you instantly reset your position by clicking in the right thumbstick.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Project Wingman plays best with a controller, honestly. It's very arcade-y, not that that's a bad thing, especially as an Ace Combat tribute. Also lets you instantly reset your position by clicking in the right thumbstick.

Centering the view would leave the view off-center, and pressing it repeatedly would dart the view around to the sides of the place, so I could not actually center it.

Nothing wrong with arcadey, but that can still be fun with a joystick. I much prefer Star Wars Squadrons (about as arcadey as it gets) with a joystick/pedals instead of a gamepad, and when the game specifically advertises HOTAS support, then expecting a HOTAS to work properly is not unreasonable.

The main menu text was also fuzzy as hell, as if I was back on the Rift CV1 and trying to read DCS World labels.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I think I'm actually losing weight playing Skyrim VR and walking in place while moving/jogging in place while sprinting. I've always wanted to play Requiem in VR and goddamn is it everything I've dreamed of, despite the general laziness of the Skyrim VR port.

One of my chargers for my Index controllers broke after only two months. Not a big deal since they're generic USB-Cs, but still disappointing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The H3VR meatmas advent event has started btw. Make sure you're on the Meatmas build if you want the daily unlocks and don't mind large nightly downloads.

The first weapon this month is a bit underwhelming though. Given they're meant to be an accumulative arsenal, it would've been nice to lead off with something general-use like a long-arm of some kind.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Riatsala posted:

One of my chargers for my Index controllers broke after only two months. Not a big deal since they're generic USB-Cs, but still disappointing.

Someone in this thread suggested these little magnetic adapters, I put them on my knuckles and have zero concern now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWLF4GR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_2.XXFbPQY8TAB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Just got the pistol whip expansion and played the first 3 story maps. It's pretty great except has crashing issues. Anyone else seen this?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mobby_6kl posted:

So playing Lone Echo with Revive on WMR, how do I use the EVA boost? It looks like it's supposed to be a stick press, but that always pops up the steam overlay. I checked the bindings but there seems to be no way to disable this.

I can’t remember all of the details but it involves going into config files for the “windows mixed reality for steam vr” app and disabling “system button” (that’s how they are referring to the steam menu button)

When you do that it will give you your thumbstick presses back and you’ll still be able to bring up the steam menu by clicking the steam button on the menu that pops up when you hit the windows button on the controller. Not the steam app launcher, on the left side of that window that pops up there will be a steam button.

If you Google for “system button” WMR thumbstick you’ll probably find some details. They might have changed it to have a menu toggle somewhere in the steam vr controller bindings too. It’s been a few months since I had a WMR headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I have a handful of games that work my upper body like In Death and Beat Saber, and I was considering one of the fitness games to work my lower body. But now I don’t have to since the pistol whip expansion works that out.

I love the new arrangement of the menus too. If EA owned the game, they’d be charging $15 for it.