Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I just got this game after being out of it for 13-14 years, and so far in 4v4 the opposing team has all dropped out within the first few minutes of the match. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Khorne posted:

It wasn't a chrome instance in classic wc3.
No, I'm aware of that. I'm saying that, between when they first switched to a lovely Chrome instance and now when they're still using a lovely Chrome instance, there has been a very noticeable performance drop-off on game menu screens, on my <1 year old gaming laptop. :catstare: Luckily, this doesn't carry over to gameplay but it's still very disconcerting seeing a loving wallpaper slideshow when I run the game.

MrKatharsis posted:

I just got this game after being out of it for 13-14 years, and so far in 4v4 the opposing team has all dropped out within the first few minutes of the match. Is this normal?
Yes, and it is just as likely to happen to your team as well, so you've been lucky so far. I believe the prevailing theory is that people are getting bored/having second thoughts on the commitment to a team game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bug affecting some percentage of players.

For people hanging on my every word, y'all have either bad reading comprehension or must have some neurological condition that prevents you from forming a sequence of events.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah. There's no disincentive for dropping out so people derank, peace out when the load time is too long, or avoid matchups with players they dislike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That’s a shame. I’ve gone 4-0 so far with 5 minutes of total play time but I’d like to get into actual PvP combat some day.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Can you believe this came out almost a year ago?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

With how long this year has felt I'm more surprised it didn't come out five years ago.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MrKatharsis posted:

That’s a shame. I’ve gone 4-0 so far with 5 minutes of total play time but I’d like to get into actual PvP combat some day.

4v4 self-selects for the lowest common denominator, you'll have better luck in 3v3

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

sirtommygunn posted:

With how long this year has felt I'm more surprised it didn't come out five years ago.

Has it gone on sale yet?

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

little munchkin posted:

4v4 self-selects for the lowest common denominator, you'll have better luck in 3v3

my advice try 5v5

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm almost 100% positive you could militia (or I guess any) creep the goblin labs on Twisted Meadow and hit level 3 at 3-4~ minutes if you lucked up and got the exp tome. But it doesn't seem to work in my version (I haven't updated in years and years and I likely won't because I have custom games I don't want ruined by reforged). It's probably for the best because lmao that's STUPID and I know they got rid of exp tomes at one point but I just want to confirm I'm not hallucinating it was possible.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yeah. There's no disincentive for dropping out so people derank, peace out when the load time is too long, or avoid matchups with players they dislike.

Why would you avoid matchups with players you dislike when you could bs them

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 22, 2020

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

twisted meadows goblin lab has 395xp and toxp is 100 and level 3 is 500. so you would have needed to also kill a skeleton or a little greenie or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah I've played it like 15 times today on patch 1.30.xxxxxxxx. I meant in an even older version. I'm almost positive there was a point where you'd get just enough for three but only if you got the xptome. It was insanely broken for Humans

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm almost 100% positive you could militia (or I guess any) creep the goblin labs on Twisted Meadow and hit level 3 at 3-4~ minutes if you lucked up and got the exp tome. But it doesn't seem to work in my version (I haven't updated in years and years and I likely won't because I have custom games I don't want ruined by reforged). It's probably for the best because lmao that's STUPID and I know they got rid of exp tomes at one point but I just want to confirm I'm not hallucinating it was possible.

Why would you avoid matchups with players you dislike when you could bs them
It has been a long time, like 15 years since I played wc3, but isn't that one where you had to precast water elemental a while before engaging & also abuse the creep's purge mechanics by positioning correctly?

edit: wait, isn't goblin lab the one with the golem and not purge? rip it has been too long. Which map has purge creeps? If it is the golem then you can creep it but you can't do it that fast in tft, and you have to micro really well and barely get away with little to no hp left on a lot of stuff. Oh man, what map was it where you could high-risk creep but needed to call militia a second time to do it lol. WC3 had tons of fun stuff like that as a human player.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 23, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a design question about this very old game. Why can night elf trees unroot? It appears to serve no practical purpose whatsoever, and moving trees in formation with other units makes them move hilariously slowly.

It feels like something that got left in from an alpha just because it seemed cool.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I have a design question about this very old game. Why can night elf trees unroot? It appears to serve no practical purpose whatsoever, and moving trees in formation with other units makes them move hilariously slowly.

It feels like something that got left in from an alpha just because it seemed cool.

Theoretically you could uproot and move a base like Terrans in SC1, but there’s little to no reason to ever do this since it takes for loving ever and they’re not flying. Alternatively you can make them eat trees to heal, which is fine I guess. You’re right there’s not much reason except for flavor, to point out their buildings are mostly living things. Or to handle blocking/spacing issues in case a unit gets stuck.

Also I think in RoC trees couldn’t attack unless they were uprooted?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's so you can uproot your starting tree and hide it deep in a forest while claiming in all chat that a ridiculous bug happened and you started with no base.

People used to fall for that and leave after 3 minutes-a few hours of not understanding what you did when the game was new.

The real reason is likely because it's just part of the race design. It's meant to be defensive and it can be used for offensive creeping. It fits in thematically, and it's likely used in campaign too. Old Blizzard games were made by people who liked games and thought "wouldn't it be cool if" while also creating tight interactions and okay balance. Homogenized races kinda suck in RTS games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 23, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

One of the most common is creeping with your ancient of war early on to get fast XP and good items. You need it uprooted because it's tanking and it can eat trees to help heal.

You can wall off and uproot an ancient if you need to move past the wall

You can eat a tree to heal or clear a path. Ancient Protectors sneak attack, hidden tree of life in attrition game.

Uprooting changes armor type which can make an ancient more resilient vs siege

Taking a new base after you deplete a goldmine is a good strategy and happens often in late games especially if everyone is low on funds

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ancient protector sneak attack was a fun one. They were pretty decent heavy infantry that didn’t affect supply cap so were kinda fun to use if you were rich, dumb, and/or bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Khorne posted:

Homogenized races kinda suck in RTS games.

This is my biggest quibble with DE or I guess age2 in general.

jokes posted:

Ancient protector sneak attack was a fun one. They were pretty decent heavy infantry that didn’t affect supply cap so were kinda fun to use if you were rich, dumb, and/or bad.

This was an amazing strat in 4v4 RT

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 23, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My ancient rear end wc3 clan had this guy Trueheart who would hide his NE trees in the forest 100% of his games. 1v1 or 4v4. He got a solid 5% win boost just from people that didn't want to deal with that poo poo.

It was both great and terrible all at once.

As an aside, search q for reforged is now nearly instant on 1v1. It's great to see this hosed up launch slowly climb back as OW continues to free fall despite getting all of their efforts. Like Khorne said, it was nice when the game devs cared about fun and cool vs balanced.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It wasn't that hard to find the trees either if you just used attack move with air either lol.

Then blizz got rid of it entirely by introducing the timer.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

the intended use is for bifocal reverse gilderbasing

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

all hail highperch

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

have you found the highperch "dota replay" easter egg?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

idk how I found myself here but lmfao there are still some highperch replays from 1.21 around. I sorta want to see college me in action.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Showing my age here, but in a very early version of the game, the Ancients couldn't punch while rooted. Their ability to unroot and fight was supposed to be part of NE's base defence. It was almost entirely useless though, so they gave them the ability to punch while rooted and left in the movement ability for no real reason.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love hearing about old versions of this game and why things changed. Stuff like Shade barricades and casters ruining vanilla WC3.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

General Battuta posted:

I love hearing about old versions of this game and why things changed. Stuff like Shade barricades and casters ruining vanilla WC3.

Yup. I remember the Shade Barricade in particular was used to cheese the last undead mission by just completely blocking off one of the enemy players' approach. And casters gained attack damage when you upgraded their spells, so Master level shamans, as an example, did respectable pierce damage (because magic damage wasn't a thing yet), *and* could spam bloodlust, making pure shaman spam an effective strategy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It was great all the different iterations of imbalanced bullshit. I remember gem of true sight, an item that completely nullified one of the blademasters skills could be purchased for like 100 gold at a shop

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Druid of the talons was another hot one. Just pop in, whirlwind any enemies, kill all their workers, bail.

If I remember correctly items didn’t have cool downs for a while in ROC right?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ancients having Fortified armour even when uprooted and giving full experience to heroes when they killed creeps.

MASS HUNTRESS

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

General Battuta posted:

Shade barricades
:aaaaa:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was mad when they put magic damage in. My armies were all shamen and witch doctors.

I'll still never understand why they decided to change a bunch of unit names with I think TFT.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was mad when they put magic damage in. My armies were all shamen and witch doctors.

I'll still never understand why they decided to change a bunch of unit names with I think TFT.

games workshop was mad about steam tanks and some other model stuff

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was because of :war::redhammer:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The best strategy in early RoC was playing as Orc, turning off all the maps that had more than 2 spawns, blind tower rush off the best treeline with a Farseer and if they managed to eventually fight that off then RAWRRARWWAARWARW you've teched to mass Shaman in the meantime!

Or just play as NE and have everyone hate you for being a poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

General Battuta posted:

It was because of :war::redhammer:

That makes sense for the steam tank but how does "wyvern" or "catapult" get them in trouble. Or were they doing like Games Workshop with those like when GW gave Warhammer races and factions stupid as hell official names.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
How early was it in War3 where Nigh Elves where super broken because glaives like did tons of damage against everything and starfire was the best hero power?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Mooseontheloose posted:

How early was it in War3 where Nigh Elves where super broken because glaives like did tons of damage against everything and starfire was the best hero power?

Glaives were wrecking everyone again in War3 as recently as like a year or two ago. They actually nerfed them so the Vorpal Blades upgrade (gives strikethrough) doesn't make them homing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I remember Starfire being super broken in the RoC beta.