Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just got mega blue balls that we finally get to see the legendary Queen of the Hrothgar in 5.35, and she's a loving roegadyn and not a female hrothgar

I'm so loving salt lmao

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Chillgamesh posted:

I just got mega blue balls that we finally get to see the legendary Queen of the Hrothgar in 5.35, and she's a loving roegadyn and not a female hrothgar

I'm so loving salt lmao

I keep being tempted to wonder, if/when they ever implement female Hrothgar (they said, if I recall, that it's not off the table, but it's a lot of development work that they'd rather put toward other features right now), if they'd go back and change the female Roes like Misija in the Bozja stuff to female Hrothgar. However, I imagine that'd be more work than a simple model/animation swapout, so that'll probably never happen.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

she's a roegadyn because she wasn't the real Queen, she was a handmaiden chosen by the Blades to take the place of the real queen who took her own life rather than summon an eikon.

it's still a contrived twist of the story that allows them to not show female hrothgar, but they do at least explain it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I literally screencapped those exact two text bubbles because I was so excited by the murals and yet somehow failed to read them

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I presume the artist was annoyed at having to break symmetry to have one handmaid be two inches taller in their mural.

I'm glad that Hrothgar women get to be just about as tall as Roes, even though they do still keep the classic fantasy dimorphism weirdness otherwise.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean those murals aren’t particularly detailed, they might just not be showing the finer points of how, say, hrothgals could be fully fur-covered with full size fangs, etc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just saw that cutscene and regardless of the finer points of character model representation this is some full-on Matsuno-style writing, I am all for it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So if I'm understanding Gabranth's plan correctly, it's to stay away from Garlemald until it inevitably tears itself apart, then go back, take it over, and do the Empire, But Good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

So if I'm understanding Gabranth's plan correctly, it's to stay away from Garlemald until it inevitably tears itself apart, then go back, take it over, and do the Empire, But Good?

He basically seems to be trying to solidify power so he can clean up in the aftermath."But Good" doesn't really seem to match his actual actions though.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It's demonstrating that the empire can't just be reborn with a change in leadership, that won't fully cement the change in society and ideology that also needs to happen. Gabranth doesn't believe in Garlean racial hierarchy but it doesn't matter when everyone under him does; similarly the wounds of the class divisions in Old Bozja haven't even fully healed despite a whole generation under imperial rule. In floating the possibility that someone like Misija might not actually have a place under either proposed future for Bozja it implies that a different solution will need to be chosen, and that it's not as easy as simply letting the royal line die out as in Ala Mhigo.

How the game resolves this question will probably say a lot about the course and themes of 6.0 in general and how much is changing from the last three attempts at nation rebuilding, under the different contexts. It's also implying that internal issues in those three nations probably aren't done yet, all things considered.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 18, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mister Olympus posted:

How the game resolves this question will probably say a lot about the course and themes of 6.0 in general and how much is changing from the last three attempts at nation rebuilding, under the different contexts. It's also implying that internal issues in those three nations probably aren't done yet, all things considered.

I feel like it has been the trend in FFXIV that the side content in one expansion works as a small scale version of the greater story/themes of the expansion that will immediately follow. So this would track with what I would expect. The themes in Bozja are likely going to be echoed in greater detail in 6.0.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like it has been the trend in FFXIV that the side content in one expansion works as a small scale version of the greater story/themes of the expansion that will immediately follow. So this would track with what I would expect. The themes in Bozja are likely going to be echoed in greater detail in 6.0.

Bozja likely foreshadowing 6.0's focus on Imperial turmoil, like Eureka foreshadowing Shadowbringers' full-bore focus on creation magic in its lategame does kinda check out. You've also got Omega being directly relevant to a story thread in ShB's sidelines, but I don't think that counts for this.

But I'm not sure the pattern goes further back than that. What's the Heavensward>Stormblood one, the Warring Triad introducing the concept of kinda-charismatic Imperials? Is the ARR>HW one 'Dragoon, just in general'?

And on Gunnhildr's race, it's a little hard to get a full idea on what the Gunnhildr we saw actually was, specifically. Is that essentially the 'real' primal Gunnhildr from the Third Astral Era, displaced in time? Or is it the primal Gunnhildr, or possibly even the decoy herself, as seen and interpreted by Misija, her presumed descendant? If we're dealing with the latter, then the Gunnhildr we see being a Roe makes sense, even if both the genuine Gunnhildr, and the original primal form, were Hrothgar; to Misija, she's a Roegadyn like her, so it only makes sense that a primal summoned based on her is also a Roegadyn. That's especially true if she's going off the figure she saw in the memory, who was the dead body of the decoy, in non-primal form.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 20, 2020

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

If we're dealing with the latter, then the Gunnhildr we see being a Roe makes sense, even if both the genuine Gunnhildr, and the original primal form, were Hrothgar; to Misija, she's a Roegadyn like her, so it only makes sense that a primal summoned based on her is also a Roegadyn. That's especially true if she's going off the figure she saw in the memory, who was the dead body of the decoy, in non-primal form.

yeah i agree with this. Misija clearly thinks that the Blades took advantage of and smeared the good name of her (very likely) ancestor, the handmaiden who took Gunhildr's place, and is using her memory and power to get revenge. the blade itself supplying the aether for the summoning.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Cleretic posted:

Bozja likely foreshadowing 6.0's focus on Imperial turmoil, like Eureka foreshadowing Shadowbringers' full-bore focus on creation magic in its lategame does kinda check out. You've also got Omega being directly relevant to a story thread in ShB's sidelines, but I don't think that counts for this.

But I'm not sure the pattern goes further back than that. What's the Heavensward>Stormblood one, the Warring Triad introducing the concept of kinda-charismatic Imperials? Is the ARR>HW one 'Dragoon, just in general'?

I would say that given the concept of the first expansion occurred to Yoshi when he was reviewing the overall setting, saw "oh and this part of the world that's mostly off screen has turbo-catholic elves locked in an eternal crusade against dragonkind," and asked why this content wasn't in the game... the HW foreshadowing was the entire coerthas arc of the 2.0 MSQ.

Also, Shiva was the 2.4 trial so the timeline is about the same for when the seeds of future expansions start getting planted

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/mintsui/status/1321229571656716289?s=20

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Build back better" applies here too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just like Obama.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1325822505429454848?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmktYEo2gw

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The world is not prepared for Hot Trump

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mar-A-Lago lifts into the skies above the Florida swamps as an even more grotesquely bloated Trump slowly floats away on tiny cherub wings, having devoured his aides, cabinet, and the contents of every McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Wendy's in the Greater DC Area

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
How much fast food do you need to eat to make a big building stink

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Mar-A-Lago lifts into the skies above the Florida swamps as an even more grotesquely bloated Trump slowly floats away on tiny cherub wings, having devoured his aides, cabinet, and the contents of every McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Wendy's in the Greater DC Area

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fittingxivsongs/status/1325117522060914693?s=21

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/regretorb/status/1215749167508705281?s=20

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the cubus give way to cubus flesh, which directly translates to free yellow scrips. they're like corn, or maybe beef

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Do they populate Amaurot with other players when you're there for the first time? I imagine the effect is lessened when there's a dozen hungry crafters fighting over cubuses

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

To my knowledge, the game doesn't do anything to remove player presence at any time.

But yes, it's generally a better effect when the place is very empty.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

To my knowledge, the game doesn't do anything to remove player presence at any time.

Apparently inn rooms are all one box that everyone shares but players can only see themselves when using them

HellCopter posted:

Do they populate Amaurot with other players when you're there for the first time? I imagine the effect is lessened when there's a dozen hungry crafters fighting over cubuses

Farming them seems like a waste of time when you could just send your retainer out to grab cubus flesh while you're doing other poo poo

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I have pretty fond memories of no lifing heavensward enough that, despite thinking I was taking my time, by the time I got to Forelands there were very few people around and by the time I got to churning mists I basically had the whole zone to myself almost all the way up to nidhogg. Couldn't get the same experience in Stormblood for obvious reasons, but doing Shadowbringers in two days brought it back.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

Apparently inn rooms are all one box that everyone shares but players can only see themselves when using them

Right, I've heard of that too. It's not really a normal public space so I didn't want to quibble over the under the hood stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Meanwhile I took like, I think a month to complete Shadowbringers, and Amaurot was still empty. Hell, most of the Tempest was, which technically sold the whole zone better, but I could've used some bigass roegadyn with a pompadour or something undercutting the whole thing.

I guess it was smart of them to put all the reasons to come back to the Tempest far away from the narrative reason to go there. You're not really gonna get your immersion ruined by someone going off to get purpure shell chips.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my friends were some of the lucky few to get through Raubahn (Extreme) during 4.0 and would tell me how weird/cool it was getting to Kugane when there were maybe 3 other people in the whole city. including a guy who was already level 70 somehow??

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, likewise, Cleretic

Playing during the 5.3 release and seeing every segment of the crystal scavenger hunt beforehand was quite a trip, with every point buried under a cluster of feet.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I recently got to kugane on my alt and you can get the same experience today just walking in there in, like, local server morning/dead of night

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I play often when the NA servers are quiet and for me, Amaurot had nobody else there. Just me and a bunch of ghosts. It was really cool.

E - This was like a month ago.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

It does create instances of normally public areas a few times, such as your starting city before you talk to the Adventurers' Guild leader and (ShB) your first trip through Lakeland after coming to the First.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zomborgon posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't done the Fundament FATEs where there are so many players around that the game gives up and only renders the mob of people within 5 feet of your character.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Zandar posted:

It does create instances of normally public areas a few times, such as your starting city before you talk to the Adventurers' Guild leader and (ShB) your first trip through Lakeland after coming to the First.

Ah, that's a nice touch. I suppose they figured that Amarot was late enough in the MSQ that a player glut wouldn't be as likely to be present and be a mood-killer.

And obviously plenty of solo duties put you in places- especially Kugane, man that place is a madhouse. Different idea, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't done the Fundament FATEs where there are so many players around that the game gives up and only renders the mob of people within 5 feet of your character.

Does this with hunt and FATE trains too, which can make finding the target and getting credit a bit of a game all on its own.