Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sunswipe posted:

I still don't get what the point of the original tweet was. A joke about the poster pretending not to know that places outside NY have shops? A joke about the wide array of stuff on sale at a bodega? I don't know what the joke is, I don't know why people are getting worked up about it. Did she kill a puppy while typing it out?

My god lol

Don't think about it too hard. It's clearly meant to be playing on the "i wonder if (place) has (thing ubiquitous to pretty much every location in the world)..." style of musing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it was poorly deployed irony that then led to extremely stupid discourse that has now escalated to things like this

https://twitter.com/anildash/status/1333823209679048708?s=21

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

where else can you get eggs, a butterfinger, tide pods and aspirin all in the same place? only in bumfuck idaho at the grocery store! :shrug:

idaho pride!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
She’s specifically getting flak bc of her powerful Brooklyn rich kid energy and subsequent doubling down. Ain’t nobody from the Bronx posting like that.

We get the exact same people but spicy nacho flavour back in Texas. Rich kids driving F150s in the Houston and Austin suburbs are the loudest :texas: patriot chuds

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it was poorly deployed irony that then led to extremely stupid discourse that has now escalated to things like this

https://twitter.com/anildash/status/1333823209679048708?s=21

Jesus Christ. "Stop making fun of us! We have people dying from a pandemic that is killing people literally everywhere on Earth!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OP not the idiot; this is a copy-paste response to another tweet.

https://twitter.com/72Waifus/status/1333855817053872130

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Dutch grip rotates your body so that you are already facing backward as you open the door. It points your eyes in the right direction.

:shrug: I just went out to the car and tried it, and I still don't get it. I mean, if you want, you certainly CAN twist in your seat a bit while you do it, but it sure doesn't happen automatically.

Maybe I just have big gangly gorilla arms or something.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
globo homo and tomboy respecter are solid usernames

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/gramnegativity/status/1333581519378657281

OP not idiot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edit: nevermind

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still can't help but read globo homo in the same tone as mojo jojo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP not the idiot; this is a copy-paste response to another tweet.

https://twitter.com/72Waifus/status/1333855817053872130

No Kelly, 0/10

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

First I was like 'Oh goodness, has it been so long since my studies in genetics that I forgot what the 'm' in mRNA stands for?'.

Then I saw technology.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Compu-Globo-Homo-Mega-Net

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ok but how can I work this into the gig economy?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blockchain RNA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Just going admit that I don't get it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's a poorly-phrased statement that implies messenger RNA is a new, human developed technology and not something that has already existed in nature for like 4 billion years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Calling mRNA a technology is like calling mitochondria a technology.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

Just going admit that I don't get it.

I think it’s that they’re calling it a technology as though it’s something mankind invented

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
what about midichlorians

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

OwlFancier posted:

Calling mRNA a technology is like calling mitochondria a technology.

It *is* the powerhouse of the cell

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
yeah I'm sorry but I don't understand how someone can possibly think it's funny that a reporter probably read "uses mRNA technology" and then relayed it as "uses a technology called mRNA", which is not really quite correct but I don't think is as ridiculous as people think it is

that seems as stupid as laughing at someone saying "ATM machine"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phthisis posted:

yeah I'm sorry but I don't understand how someone can possibly think it's funny that a reporter probably read "uses mRNA technology" and then relayed it as "uses a technology called mRNA", which is not really quite correct but I don't think is as ridiculous as people think it is

I don't think the funny bit is moving the "technology" around in the phrase, what's funny is whoever decided to label it as "technology" in the first place

Bet your rear end I'm going to laugh if someone says "This tree that I'm growing uses technology called water"

Doubly so if it's a reporter who I know took the same biology classes in high school that I did

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phthisis posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty innocuous and obvious communication error. Enough to get a chuckle, but really shouldn't be enough to make people "lose it" like the Twitter OP

Data Graham posted:

I don't think the funny bit is moving the "technology" around in the phrase, what's funny is whoever decided to label it as "technology" in the first place

Bet your rear end I'm going to laugh if someone says "This tree that I'm growing uses technology called water"

Doubly so if it's a reporter who I know took the same biology classes in high school that I did

The technology they're trying to report on is "mRNA-based vaccines," which is actually novel. Not the mRNA itself.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Dec 1, 2020

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but "water technology" isn't really a thing, where "mRNA technology" is. It would be just as ridiculous to say that a tree is growing using water technology (to refer to a sprinkler system, e.g.). Idk, it just comes across as really pedantic.

I may also be biased because I'm in a tech-related academic field and so my "technology" is all just mathematical expressions, so I don't really think of technology as being "manmade poo poo" as much as others do.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Someone’s never heard of dams or hoses if they don’t know about water technology!

Losin’ it!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What really sucks is covid deniers' explanations of what PCR is

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What really sucks is covid deniers' explanations of what PCR is

Do... do I want to know? :ohdear:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

It is happening again. It is happening again.

https://twitter.com/LuxAlptraum/status/1333798644676317187?s=19

https://twitter.com/LuxAlptraum/status/1333800732726706180?s=19

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

"I can tell you that the rest of the country should be like NYC because I lived in Chicago for two years."

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

china bot posted:

globo homo and tomboy respecter are solid usernames

Fight globalism, support your local homo :colbert:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is nothing special from a bodega that you can't get from one of those two

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phthisis posted:

Journalists suck at reporting science, and so many of the explanations you see, especially about corona, are 90% correct, but still completely wrong. In this case yeah, its pretty trivial to swap the order of "technology" and "mRNA", but doing so suggests that at best they've mangled things to make it sounds all cool and buzzwordy, at worst it shows that the journalist fundamentally doesn't understand what they're on about.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is nothing special from a bodega that you can't get from one of those two

Clearly not, because otherwise this suggests that the Free Market has not stepped up to fill an obvious need in 99.9% of the world's cities

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Karia posted:

Fight globalism, support your local homo :colbert:

think globo, act homo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bad tweets are just better in New York because of the this technology called water they use.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
people being forced to work at night is not a good thing! bodegas should close at 8 pm!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

christmas boots posted:

It *is* the powerhouse of the cell

https://twitter.com/mspowahs/status/1333825325214658560